Decoy usefulness?

+
You could use it on a 1pwr token but there are much tutors actually.

For decoy to be more effective you should make sure that what comes is useful and that will normally require another card. It is easier to use Matta Hu’uri (the difference in provisions is justified in consistency.) and you get your best card in addition to an extra turn.

Payus

Forum regular
It's not the best combo but you can use it on knickers or roach to get another unit+knickers/roach.
If you use it on a doomed unit or token, once you decoy, the doomed unit dissapears, so you always get a different unit.

Vs poison, it is ok too as well as other bad statusses.

It works best with very expensive, powerfull cards that have low power. Cards like Wild boar of the sea, Aguara true form, Avallach(both), Philippa blind fury...

Also works to replay shupe hunter or mage if previously purified.

DC9V

Forum veteran
When playing a thin deck and there's no unit left:
- works like Mandrake: resets damaged unit, recalls defender status, cancels poison or bleeding...
- double deploy
Nilfgaard:
- in combination with Albrich (very expensive but still a 2 points handbuff)

Last edited:

DC9V

Forum veteran
What about with fisher king? I would know whats coming next.
depends on what you want, but I think there are more efficient combinations. If you think 13 provisions is worth it, why not?
It would take two turns, so it's a very slow and risky play, and it doesn't even boost the chosen unit. And keep in mind there's a chance that the removed unit is going to be placed on top.

I prefer Matta for Scenarios and Royal Decree for units.

Just in case you've overlooked one of these:
Skald (4 prov.)
Courir (5)
Roderick of Dun Tynne (6)
Excommunication (6)
War Council (8)
Birna Bran (8)
Vilgefortz (9)
Naglfar (9)

Last edited:
Just had a thought,

Decoy
fisher king
Dandelion

This could get you back the pulled card. Run it twice in one round. Good for a Deploy card. Like Carinther

DRK3

Forum veteran
Just had a thought,

Decoy
fisher king
Dandelion

This could get you back the pulled card. Run it twice in one round. Good for a Deploy card. Like Carinther

Quite the combo just to replay a card twice, in most cases it wouldnt be worth it, maybe for a Regis or Igni...

And assuming its your most expensive card, you could just Decoy+Matta instead, because Dandelion Poet is too expensive and Fisher King loses you tempo.

Quite the combo just to replay a card twice, in most cases it wouldnt be worth it, maybe for a Regis or Igni...

And assuming its your most expensive card, you could just Decoy+Matta instead, because Dandelion Poet is too expensive and Fisher King loses you tempo.
What guarantees I get Matta again?

As above it interacts very well with YenVo

Also it is highly amusing when I move decoy to the top and NG plays Canterrella.

Just a heads up, it doesn't always shuffle your target back INTO the deck, and might play it again straight away from the TOP of your deck. I've lost a game, where I had a brain fart and hit the pass button because of that.

Last edited:
You can try and set up a hyperthin deck where you play a powerful buff minion on r3 then decoy it with no other minions in deck. It isn't great though because it becomes a very draw dependent deck making sure you get your setup in the first 2 rounds.
The one I was running was Zoltan rowdy dwarves with precision strike. It is very consistent to get the combo on round 3 with 3 or 4 cards in deck, but I'm not sure the decoy is really worth running in it being the least consistent part of the combo.

Last edited:
Here's a deck I've been having fun with today using decoy.

Well I say fun, to a point, not much fun to be had against the same decks and again and again. Anyway I digress.

So I decided to build a deck to complete the wk12 journey quest "Wild Hunt"

Play Caranthir: create Pheonix
Leader ability, replay Caranthir: create Phoenix x2
Decoy Caranthir back into your deck
Royal Decree Caranthir: create Phoenix x3
Play Phoenix (x4)

Btw I wouldn't recommend actually doing this, Phoenix is a pretty horrendous card for 13 provisions. But having 4 beautifully animated phoenixes lined up R1 before they transform into ugly static cards R2 and R3 is almost worth it!?

Wouldn't it be cheaper and quicker if you just use renew on the Caranthir in the Graveyard, that Decoy Royal Decree Combo is probably only worth it if you want to have 5 Phoenixes.

Sounds good, but as a relatively new player, Renew is not a card I can prioritize crafting.

I literally only just crafted caranthir to make it easier to complete the journey quest.

Then I crafted Matta this evening to pull Pheonix into my hand.

But on reflection I assume you are suggesting:
Caranthir: Phoenix x1
Leader Caranthir: Phoenix x2
Consume Caranthir
Renew Caranthir: Phoenix x3
Play Pheonix x4

Yeah, that works, but I think royal decree gives more consistency on the meme.

If you have phoenix in hand, but don't have caranthir, you can royal decree him into play.

If you don't have phoenix, you can royal decree Matta, who will pull phoenix into hand

Usually I just settle for a measly 3x pheonixes

I do have a premium Land of a Thousand Fables. Hmmm.... Is it worth it....

Leader Caranthir: Phoenix x2
Consume Caranthir
Renew Caranthir: Phoenix x3
You already have the Caranthir you used the Leader Charge on in you're Graveyard, so you don't need to consume him.
Hmmm.... Is it worth it....
Probably not, because the create multiple Phoenixes is not really a competitive Deck, but renew on Caranthir is a popular combo to make more copies of Living Armor, Kikimora Queen or other powerful Gold Cards.

You already have the Caranthir you used the Leader Charge on in you're Graveyard, so you don't need to consume him.

Probably not, because the create multiple Phoenixes is not really a competitive Deck, but renew on Caranthir is a popular combo to make more copies of Living Armor, Kikimora Queen or other powerful Gold Cards.

As it happens I already have living armour and Kikimora queen in the deck.

I will keep Renew in mind though for the future.

I was actually being sarcastic about land of a thousand fables. Even making room for Matta seemingly reduced my win rate.

But even so, I should probably remove phoenix if I desire to be competitive.

Anyway, back to the topic at hand, uses for Decoy.

I also use Decoy on Vessemir in my Witcher deck. As if you can get a second boost out of him, the Witcher engines are more likely to stick, and dare I say it, the Witcher trio playing for 12 instead of 6 is far more appealing.

Top Bottom