difference between CDPR and RockStar..

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Guest 4564903

Edit : misunderstood :)
Yes for gunplay, It's heavy, it's scripted, not fun at all (for me at least) and it's the same as all Rock Star game since GT3.

Its all good mate, I just find it funny how since Cyberpunk 2077 came out GTA5 and RD2 have suddenly become these mythical perfect games for some people.

To be honest I like both games and think they are very good but I've never really seen much point in comparing games, for example I've seen some people say there is more enemy variety in Witcher 3 than Cyberpunk, while that is true its neglected that Witcher 3 is a fantasy game and the only limit is imagination, where Cyberpunk is set in a future real world so of course there would be less enemy type and in any case they are very different games so who cares!

The biggest difference that Rockstar has studios in key locations and spent the majority of the budget on developing the game rather than promoting it.

CDPR should've spent half of the 200M they've spent on marketing to open a studio in the UK or the US so they can actually hire the people they need to make a cross platform AAA title.
This would be the most obvious and logical answer in this topic.
Other than the time Rockstar spends in development and the massive size of their teams.

CDPR mishandled what could have been the best game of the decade in countless ways we now know of and I am sure numerous ways we have yet to discover.

I applaud them for the imagination + scope and in various aspects of great work in game, but the game was not ready for release by any means and should have stayed in development for another 2 years. Also to repeat the point mentioned = never spend more on marketing than you do development, should never be a thing unless you plan to manipulate your customers and take the money & run.

Don't say that, did you not hear, RD2 is perfect in every way, the gun play is way better than in Cyberpunk!!
The gunplay its shit in both RDR2 and Cyberpunk 2077.
In Cyberpunk 2077 is clunky. I am master guardian on CS GO but I found it difficult to shoot. On controller I bought for this game (xbox one cyberpunk 2077 edition)its ridiculous.
I did not expected smooth play of a primary fps like doom or battlefield but god damn its bad.
Even Rage 2 a mediocre game far surpasses Cyberpunk 2077 in gunplay and driving vehicles.

Ive played RDR2 right after Cyberpunk as those two games were recommended to me by a friend. I cant say that RDR2 is a bad game, its very well done, definitely polished and probably one of a best as its kind but I liked CP2077 way much better. I could only compare them like one is a Marvel blockbuster movie and the other is top notch drama. Two completely different genres.

I guess this is what rockstar does for long time and I`m just very glad that CDP doesnt go that way and its so focused in bringing story driven, adult content which doesnt feels like a cartoon.

Money. CDPR want money. Lot. And they did it.
yeah they did it. they milked the cow just to burn half of the income in following lawsuits and image recovery actions. for the cost/loss of image, reputation and their lead excutives in design and direction. curious if the management still think it was worth all the trouble 6 month later now...

I think this is one of the most important points in this thread, not only are Rockstar a much larger studio but I think the value of the institutional memory that they have and the established software and functions that they can draw on from game to game have been overlooked by many people in response to CDPR's development and launch of CP2077.

Not only Rockstar, but if you look at Ubisoft, Bethesda (Zenimax) or any other major player they will have established protocols for development and release. Take Watchdogs, released as a "new" ip in 2014 but built on the groundwork done in Assasins creed, Tom clancy, Driver, Far-cry and many other products. If things aren't working then there are in-house experts who can help.

That doesn't mean they are infallible, just that they are more likely to have learnt from their own mistakes and have the wherewithal to spot problems before they occur. CDPR won't make the same mistake again, they now have that institutional memory first hand.

Interestingly Rockstar had their own CP2077 style disaster with the development of their very first game, Grand Theft Auto in 1997 it nearly wasn't made and it was panned on launch.
We should also keep in mind GTA had a gradual build up to what it is today with each new game adding to, and in my opinion improving on what was built before it. It started as a 2D top down game, then moved to a 3D game that was amazing at the time but looking back you can see how crude it was. By the time we get to RDR2, Rockstar has hit peak world building in the games industry. Whether you like RDR2 or not is irrelevant. The level of detail, world building and immersion they built with RDR2 is nothing short of amazing, but they didn't get there over night. It took decades.

CP2077 on the other hand is CDPR turning the volume straight to 11 and going for broke. There wasn't 5 other Cyberpunks to slowly build off of before it. They had one open world medieval themed game and the next was the exact opposite of it. They were trying to build their RDR2 without any prior experience. I think the game has turned out fairly good. i'm enjoying it, but I can see it was supposed to be more. I can see the potential there, its just shy of greatness. CDPR is capable of making ultimate open world game they just need more time to get there.

I also want to say that outside of how successful the world building is Cyperpunk and anything Rockstar makes shouldn't be compared. GTA, Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption are different games. Its comparing apples to oranges.

Don't say that, did you not hear, RD2 is perfect in every way, the gun play is way better than in Cyberpunk!!
If gunplay/combat of rockstar games is the type of GTA 5(O) where all enemies have ultradamage laserrifles and sniper accuracy.. then HERECY. Any sane thinking person would not call such combat approach 'smart' or 'good'.
Rockstar know very well how to hide how stupid their combat is. Only thing I reckon is actual noteworthy on a rockstar (gta) game is the driving, incl the ai and the sandbox nature. And the sandbox is great because nothing in gta has a point by itself so screwing around is exactly what you do. First week of januari this year I finally purchased me my long desired vehicle, not even on discount since missions are blocked behind a multiplayer wall (never thought I'd say that). when I got it... Drove around a couple times and then I was like: so what now?
Conclusion: the game became glaringly pointless. Havent touched it since, and not planning to
Fyi, I wouldn't have had the game if it wasnt for a few friends who persuaded me.

Cyberpunk on the other hand. Over the last week spend every free hour I had after a busy day at work. Great experience, even while doing nothing of note (assaults for instance can be viewed as such). But more fun because there's a myriad of ways to approach everything: hack, full weapons, sneak and break necks, yaddayadda.
Rockstars formula always points to rifles because nothing else is feasible. Impossible to sneak up on targets with any decency, and effectively rendered moot.
No hacking possible and the playing field btw is a corridor or open space with zero options to play with.
In CP77 the locations for a fight offer a wide variety in how to go in and play around with. And I have said it often before and I say it again. Have you ever seen an enemy in a gta game do anything else but shoot with their rifle? Fck, even a Fallout Super Mutant is more interesting with a large variety from a suicider to a rocketeer.

So yeah. I'm a stickin' to Cyberpunk :)
Post automatically merged:

We should also keep in mind GTA had a gradual build up to what it is today with each new game adding to, and in my opinion improving on what was built before it. It started as a 2D top down game, then moved to a 3D game that was amazing at the time but looking back you can see how crude it was. By the time we get to RDR2, Rockstar has hit peak world building in the games industry. Whether you like RDR2 or not is irrelevant. The level of detail, world building and immersion they built with RDR2 is nothing short of amazing, but they didn't get there over night. It took decades.

CP2077 on the other hand is CDPR turning the volume straight to 11 and going for broke. There wasn't 5 other Cyberpunks to slowly build off of before it. They had one open world medieval themed game and the next was the exact opposite of it. They were trying to build their RDR2 without any prior experience. I think the game has turned out fairly good. i'm enjoying it, but I can see it was supposed to be more. I can see the potential there, its just shy of greatness. CDPR is capable of making ultimate open world game they just need more time to get there.

I also want to say that outside of how successful the world building is Cyperpunk and anything Rockstar makes shouldn't be compared. GTA, Cyberpunk and Red Dead Redemption are different games. Its comparing apples to oranges.
Indeed. And then considering CDPR have done so bad, seeing how they lack basically everything except money, talent and willpower.
It is true, one cant beat experience as opposed to going in blind. So with what CDPR lacked they still did a good job in my book. If they keep building on the game, improve with patches dlc, fixes etcetcetc. Then CP77 will become an alltime great.

Last edited:

Nonsense. This argument has already been shown wrong.
GTA Vice City and San Andreas are very good games. They have things that are better then Cyberpunk 2077.
Cyberpunk 2077 its not CDPR first game. They were a big gaming giant before releasing Cyberpunk.
San Andreas was not a broken, riddle with bugs, unfinished mediocre game. There was not huge hype before release. The game is one of the best video game ever made.

"Grand Theft Auto III received critical acclaim, with praise particularly directed at its concept and gameplay. However, the game also generated controversy, with criticism directed at its depictions of violence and sex. It became the best-selling video game of 2001, and has sold over 14.5 million copies since. Considered by many critics as one of the most significant titles of the sixth generation of video games and a landmark game in the open world concept, it is often listed among the greatest video games. It won several year-end accolades, including Game of the Year awards from several gaming publications."
" The core development team of Grand Theft Auto III consisted of about 23 people at DMA Design in Edinburgh, who worked closely with publisher Rockstar Games in New York City"
GTA 3 was mostly made by 23 people.
Imagine that.
[...]

Last edited by a moderator:
Nonsense. This argument has already been shown wrong.
GTA Vice City and San Andreas are very good games. They have things that are better then Cyberpunk 2077.
Cyberpunk 2077 its not CDPR first game. They were a big gaming giant before releasing Cyberpunk.
San Andreas was not a broken, riddle with bugs, unfinished mediocre game. There was not huge hype before release. The game is one of the best video game ever made.

"Grand Theft Auto III received critical acclaim, with praise particularly directed at its concept and gameplay. However, the game also generated controversy, with criticism directed at its depictions of violence and sex. It became the best-selling video game of 2001, and has sold over 14.5 million copies since. Considered by many critics as one of the most significant titles of the sixth generation of video games and a landmark game in the open world concept, it is often listed among the greatest video games. It won several year-end accolades, including Game of the Year awards from several gaming publications."
" The core development team of Grand Theft Auto III consisted of about 23 people at DMA Design in Edinburgh, who worked closely with publisher Rockstar Games in New York City"
GTA 3 was mostly made by 23 people.
Imagine that.
[...]
Preliminary work on Grand Theft Auto V began after Grand Theft Auto IV's release in April 2008; full development lasted approximately three years. Rockstar North's core 360-person team co-opted studios around the world owned by parent company Rockstar Games to facilitate development between a full team of over 1,000.

Preliminary work on Grand Theft Auto V began after Grand Theft Auto IV's release in April 2008; full development lasted approximately three years. Rockstar North's core 360-person team co-opted studios around the world owned by parent company Rockstar Games to facilitate development between a full team of over 1,000.
I was talking about gta 3(Among the first open world game) made by mostly 23 people. LOL.
Nor gta vice City and San andreas were not made by 1000 people or 500 people.
Why straw man?
[...]

I was talking about gta 3(Among the first open world game) made by mostly 23 people. LOL.
Why straw man?
[...]

Um I played San Andeas at launch..... it had bugs, clipping errors, pop ins etc. They patches them and it is one of my all time favourites

Why straw man?
[...]

And what I mean is the complexity of the game. The more complex the game, the more people needed. Even for GTA series. CP is not GTA and while GTA is great in some things CP is better in others. For me, combat and weapons are way better than GTA. I'm also pretty sure that CDPR could make each NPC in NC a combat NPC witch attacks when you attack, they could make every car on the road being able to explode since there are cars that explode perfectly :)

Um I played San Andeas at launch..... it had bugs, clipping errors, pop ins etc. They patches them and it is one of my all time favourites
Common it did not had the same level of problems. Who are we kidding?!
The game (San Andreas) is one of the best ever made while Cyberpunk 2077 was both a mess at launch and mediocre at best.

And what I mean is the complexity of the game. The more complex the game, the more people needed. Even for GTA series. CP is not GTA and while GTA is great in some things CP is better in others. For me, combat and weapons are way better than GTA. I'm also pretty sure that CDPR could make each NPC in NC a combat NPC witch attacks when you attack, they could make every car on the road being able to explode since there are cars that explode perfectly :)

What complexity?
San Andreas, Vice City are superior in open world activities, AI, Police systems,physics.

The complexity Its only in world buillding, lighting.

Even if it were overall more complex more people work on it.

You have few people making less complex awsome games.

You have more people making more complex broken, unfinished, mediocre game.

Its all about proportionality. How many people are doing what amount of work.
[...]

Also lets not forget gta 3 has set a standard în open world design ever since.

Guest 3847602

Are we still playing "GTA vs CP2077"? Ok, lets play:
Every GTA ever made game is vastly inferior to Cyberpunk in:
- number of different builds
- number of playstyles it supports
- level design
- gunplay
- number of dialogue choices it provides
- number of different outcomes to quests
- having believable characters who are not over-the-top caricatures
- rewarding you with "MISSION FAILED" message everytime you stray 5m from the intended path

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom