Disc error + Saved data not able to load after HDD upgrade

+
Hey everyone,

I recently upgraded my HDD and transferred all of my Witcher 3 save data onto a USB stick. After installing the game and all of the DLC (including HoS & BoW), I started the game for the first time on my new HDD. When I loaded my save it gave me an error "Please Wait Until The Required Game Content Is Ready when loading save".

I was like okay, this happened before when I made a bit of a mess purchasing DLC from two different regions meaning I had to reinstall the game again. However, this time the loading stuck at 0% for hours. Restarted the game/system/reinstalled the game and all approx. 40Gb of updates, yet it kept being stuck at 0%. But when I started a new game, it would start normally HOWEVER the first loading screen would take AGES till I got to the start of the tutorial. Reinstalled the game again without updating it but now it gives me an error "Cannot continue using the application. The disc cannot be read. Make sure that the disc is not damaged or dirty".

Sorry, but I can't believe that my disc is damaged since it was working the day before. I might try putting in the old HDD and see if it's running alright but it's such a hassle and I am only going to do that once all options are exhausted. I haven't tried the rebuild database option as well because that is also a last resort kind of thing. But really how is it possible that only this particular disc starts to give an error while my 6 other discs are all working fine after the HDD upgrade and loaded perfectly?

Please, I will be really grateful for relevant help and I urgently need it!

Regards,
Saad
Post automatically merged:

Well this is just f****d up.. Rebuilt database and gave the disc a light wipe. It gives the disc cannot be read error as soon as that intro cutscene with the madman/priest about to finish.

Last edited:
Well, that certainly is a mess. I'm not 100% sure I'm following everything that you're saying, however. Please answer each of the items below, in turn:

1.) Where did you purchase the game (GOG / Steam / Origin)? If on GOG, are you using Galaxy, or did you download the installation package?

2.) Which version of Windows are you using? Is the game installed anywhere under Program Files or Program Files(x86)?

3.) Are you using any mods, or did you ever use any in the past?

These error messages you're receiving sound quite strange -- nothing that I'm familiar with through either Windows or the game. I'm also not understanding these parts at all:

Reinstalled the game again without updating it...

___

But really how is it possible that only this particular disc starts to give an error while my 6 other discs are all working fine after the HDD upgrade and loaded perfectly?

4.) What do you mean by "reinstalled" without "updating"?

5.) Are you installing off of physical, DVD disks? If so, what does the HDD have to do with reading the DVD drive?

It‘s definitely not impossible that a disc is damaged, while the other ones are working. And on PS4 a damaged or dirty disc indeed can cause huge issues. Also keep in mind, that a „light wipe“ isn‘t always enough to properly clean a disc.

If the disc is broken, I don‘t think there‘s a lot you can do. If you just bought the Game a few days ago, you can try to return it to the shop where you got it from. Also see here: https://support.cdprojektred.com/en...ed-broken-and-i-am-unable-to-install-the-game

@SigilFey I am on the PS4, so sorry if you thought it was the Windows version though I think i posted it in the Playstation board.

@devivre Well, it was actually more than a light wipe lol.. (a bit of toothpaste as well). I am going to put my older HDD back over the weekend and see if it runs smoothly, I am confident it should (fingers crossed).

Had this disc since early 2016 or so and it's the only game ever I've bought DLC for (TWICE cos of different regions) and I really don't want to lose my saves from almost 3 years now.

I am of the feeling that after the HDD upgrade it never got to install properly, or maybe the presence of save files already in the system corrupted the installation somehow. Would be helpful if someone from the dev team could guide me as to what caused the issue.

I also should mention that I had a new optical/bluray drive installed (pulled from a brand new PS4) since my older one was damaged. However, I was still able to play the game flawlessly while on my original HDD even with the new optical/bluray drive.

Funny thing, the same happened to this other person on Reddit https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5p355x

@SigilFey I am on the PS4, so sorry if you thought it was the Windows version though I think i posted it in the Playstation board.

1548188687602.jpeg

Can you try another "The Witcher 3" disc from a friend, or if it's possible rent one to see if it makes any difference?

Last edited:
So after numerous reinstalls, and downloading those huge updates I was FINALLY able to fix the issue, and I have no idea how?

Here's what I did:
> Removed all of the transferred saves I had from the old HDD, and uninstalled whatever iteration of the game I had and whether it had updates.
> Installed the game but did not start it.
> Installed only the updates and none of the DLC.
> Launched the game after the updates had installed. It crashed as soon as it started with the blue screen error stating that the disc was damaged/dirty. Bypassed the error through the "put PS4 into rest mode and turn on again method". Luckily, it did not crash again even during the old man raving cutscene. Started a new game, did not give me an endless loading screen like previous iterations. Played the game without any crashes and completed the tutorial, killed the griffin and went to Vizima so that the game had ample time to install itself if it required.
> Restarted PS4 and started the game again to see if it crashes, but this time NO BLUE SCREEN ERRORS! (Yay) Quit the game.
> Downloaded all of the "free" DLC and only copied some older saves I had which did not have either HoS or BoW installed. They loaded perfectly without the please wait until the content is ready notification (another yay!)
> Downloaded HoS and BoW. Launched the game and loaded the Vizima save. Quit game again.
> Copied the latest saves from my old HDD with HoS and BoW progress. Started the game again. No crashes. And the FINALLY the saves I wanted loaded perfectly.

So, after all there was no particular damage to my disc but some sort of error with how the game installed and how it handled transferred saves. Technically I don't know if my method was the proper fix or not, since the developer doesn't even have information regarding this error. I know I prolly did some extra unneeded steps but I could not take any chances especially after downloading all of the updates and DLC at least 5 times over the past week.

Thank you guys for your responses!

Cheers,
Saad

Top Bottom