Divinity: Original Sin

+
Not that true to be honest, Baldur's Gate doesn't allow for nearly as much enviroment interaction and has real time combat.

A mora apt comparison would be Ultima 7, but with a good combat system.

Umm well BG has discrete time combat. It actually uses turns and rounds but they are mapped to units of "real" time. It just doesn't have (as far as I know) initiative checks to decide turn order. Environment interaction sounds like a cool features in D:OS.

But anyway, this game sounds pretty cool. I am expecting Wasteland 2 in August so it'll have to wait a bit.

Last edited:
Umm well BG has discrete time combat. It actually uses turns and rounds but they are mapped to units of "real" time. It just doesn't have (as far as I know) initiative checks to decide turn order. Environment interaction sounds like a cool features in D:OS.

But anyway, this game sounds pretty cool. I am expecting Wasteland 2 in August so it'll have to wait a bit.

I know, what I meant is that BG's combat is RTwP while Divinity is fully turn-based.

Not sure if putting off Divinity for WL 2 is a good idea, to be honest.

@Volsung. Highly recommended, this game is damn good, ambitious, innovative, feature packed and full of humour (though it's a bit obvious.) Character creation and the sparring between your two characters is great, the combats are all well placed and many can be avoided, the environmental interaction makes a nice change and the quests are bloody great, investigation and experimentation pay off much more than the usual combat fest. This is a fun game, and yet not dumb at all.

Back to playing for an hour before bed.

I saw some players complaining that all playable male characters look bulky (even rogues) which upset some roleplayers who find it too much cliche one hand, and not fitting with their style of playing on the other. Hopefully they'll fix that in updates.

@Volsung. Highly recommended, this game is damn good, ambitious, innovative, feature packed and full of humour (though it's a bit obvious.) Character creation and the sparring between your two characters is great, the combats are all well placed and many can be avoided, the environmental interaction makes a nice change and the quests are bloody great, investigation and experimentation pay off much more than the usual combat fest. This is a fun game, and yet not dumb at all.

Back to playing for an hour before bed.

Cool, I'll have to play it then. Did you get it from GOG? If so, how?

@.Volsung.: GOG provided it for backers from day 1 (with some glitches like people not being able to download it), but they said it will be available for everyone else in a "few days". Hopefully it means very soon.

@.Volsung.

It feels like a mix between Baldurs Gate, Ultima 7 and Diablo 2 (a more loot-oriented Baldurs Gate/Ultima).
The combat is turn based and tactical, like old Bioware games used to be.

And you can interact with pretty much everything in the environment, the first city took me hours to explore.

The crafting system is also fantastic.
For example you can just take a branch, cut it to a stick, tie a knife to it and you have a spear.

You don't need recipes, you just combine items. The trick here is you don't know what to combine.
Books that you find have some useful hints and crafting ideas in them.

I mean, I know the ingredients to make a dough.
But I would have never guessed that you have to smash a tomato with a hammer to get tomato sauce.

For that detail alone I give the game 10/10 ~

In other news I gave my rogue a bow, perception and ranger talents.
The best idea I had: rangers are unstoppable, especially if you craft special arrow types.
A few explosion arrows can take down a crowd, a few stun arrows can render a boss helpless.

That and she has so much speed that she can fire 3 times each turn... it's just... unfair.

Last edited:
Finally managed to replace my Steam key for a gog one. I look forward to finally playing this, should have some spare time tomorrow.

Damn, and here I thought I would play wasteland 2 for the rest of the year.

Thanks for your explanations.

It's a really strong title form what I've seen, Volsung, should be right up your alley. Turn-based combat a la Fallout with the open world in the style of Ultima and dialogue trees similar to that in IE titles. All in a modern skin.

I played Divine Divinity before there was the witcher and GOG to distribute the game via internet. I think I even played it before I played Diablo.

I must say I loved the game! Very rich and diverse world, immersive storyline, amusing dialogues and what I liked the most puzzles and the mystic aura creating special atmosphere.

I haven't played Beyond Divinity and any other Larian games. Since I heard that the original Sin is going to come back to the roots I got interested. Is it so? Does it really have this mysterious and immersive feel to it as the old DD?

P.S. And I'm not sure about the turn based combat... Does it work? I'm afraid it would be better RT hack n' slash...

Last edited:
P.S. And I'm not sure about the turn based combat... Does it work? I'm afraid it would be better RT hack n' slash...

Burn the heretic!

Just kidding. I think most other games in the Divinity series were heavily action oriented. This time they might be trying to go for a more authentic cRPG experience. Turn based is the way to go. Think fest vs. click fest.

Burn the heretic!

Just kidding. I think most other games in the Divinity series were heavily action oriented. This time they might be trying to go for a more authentic cRPG experience. Turn based is the way to go. Think fest vs. click fest.

Well I understand and I love turn based games let alone Fallout 1&2 but even Strategies like Civilization. I just remember DD having RT combat and booy there was thinking involved...

So far it's Larian's fastest selling game and seems to be getting a sound reception. Despite the botched launch through GoG, I'm glad it's doing well for them, one of the few devs who are trying to manage without a publisher. Sven said they are trying to obtain the license to a certain RPG franchise for their next game, but he won't say what it is.

Think Div Div was originally meant to be turn based, for some reason they had to change it though, got to admit i'm loving this system and all the crazy shit you can pull off.

Fuck it, I'm getting a credit card and making payments on a new PC.

Fuck it, I'm getting a credit card and making payments on a new PC.

NOOOOOOOO..waaiiiit for WItcher...oh, actually, never mind. Just invest wisely.

Great game. I'm running customized magic-enhanced sneak/sniper with a heal/fire mage. Care wins the day.

Top Bottom