Do voices sound alright on your game?

+
Hi everyone. I'm having a bit of trouble with the game audio, specifically some voices. Most of the audio, like environmental, engines ect sound great but the voices sound kinda base heavy and right in your ear. This is the first game I've played on my Series X so I can't really compare it to anything.

I'm using generic stereo headphones plugged into a usb dac (Astro Mixamp Pro TR) with Dolby Atmos (I've tried Stereo Uncompressed and DTX).

If I knew if it was the game an not my setup I could ignore it.

Cheers everyone.

Without specific examples I can only say that the base game voice lines are recorded with absolute perfection when it comes to audio quality, but the ones introduced with Update 2.0 and Phantom Liberty are unfortunately not up-to-quality-standard, so they sound overly compressed and poor, some even slightly muffled.

If all of the voice lines are sounding weird though, then something is definitely not right because Cyberpunk's base game audio quality is superb.

Lately Ive had bugs were certain sounds just suddenly stop working. Specifically voices in a dialogue (happened with Misty and her phantom liberty tarot explanations) and also my cars engine just stopped making any noise.

Without specific examples I can only say that the base game voice lines are recorded with absolute perfection when it comes to audio quality, but the ones introduced with Update 2.0 and Phantom Liberty are unfortunately not up-to-quality-standard, so they sound overly compressed and poor, some even slightly muffled.

If all of the voice lines are sounding weird though, then something is definitely not right because Cyberpunk's base game audio quality is superb.
Holy fuck, finally somebody notices this.

I thought I was going crazy when I noticed the jarring difference in recording quality as soon as I started playing Phantom Liberty content. The voices also sound less like they're coming from the character within the 3D world, and more like it's a mono recording.

This is especially noticable when they insert new PL-quality voice lines into the base game convos. You get abominations like this:

You can also hear how louder the PL recordings are. I had to lower Dialogue Volume from 100 to 70 in some scenes featuring Reed and Alex.

Yes it's unfortunately very jarring and it's even more depressing when Cherami's Leigh voice acting is literally the only reason why I insta-bought the expansion as soon as it became available, only to immediately notice her audio quality being botched once it released.

So instead of listening to wonderful voice acting, I'm instead constantly distracted by the terribly recorded audio quality. How an audio professional in the studio did not catch this early on I have no idea...

Whether CDPR will fix this, or can they even fix it... I also have no idea because I haven't reported this issue yet, but I'm quite disappointed to say the least by the horrible difference in audio quality for the expansion and newly recorded lines.

One does not even have to play too far to catch this, it's incredibly obvious even with very early newly added 2.0 recordings such as;
  • Mr Hands calling V immediately after checking out the heist braindance during The Information
  • In ACT 2 if Delamain smacks into V's car before meeting Takemura (they added a new voice line for V and Johnny prior to meeting Takemura)

Last edited:
We have to make a new thread for this and ruffle some feathers.

So far, I didn't think it was worth doing as up until now I hadn't seen anyone notice it. I just thought I was some crazy audiophile hearing needles in a haystack.

There were some dialogue lines that didn't match in the base game before the expansion came out. Especially the lines that played when you took too long to answer were notorious for jumping in volume and sounding like they were recorded in a car. They are much less noticeable now since PL forced me to get used to it.

Now they like to randomly switch audio channels on the simulated 3d sound too. Love it when some other character's voice sounds like it's coming out of V's face.

Edit: Looks like the patch notes address the very issue.

Last edited:
Now they like to randomly switch audio channels on the simulated 3d sound too. Love it when some other character's voice sounds like it's coming out of V's face.
Edit: Looks like the patch notes address the very issue.
I read the patch notes but haven't found anything describing this. What are you referring to?

I read the patch notes but haven't found anything describing this. What are you referring to?
My thought was that the second and fourth lines here addressed it. Might be wrong.

Not gonna fix the actors giving a different kind of delivery on certain lines either. Seems you gotta grab everything in one recording session or the mood is just different and the sound guy is off that day. Manages to be a bit jarring when both the audio format and the line delivery are off.
Sound
  • Overhauled sound effects in scenes in the base game's main, side and minor quests.
  • Authoring and up-mixing of scenes to the Surround Sound format.
  • Added missing sound effects.
  • Fixed missing post-processing for voices.
  • Improvements to gun and combat sound effects.
  • Improvements to vehicle audio.
  • Various sound fixes.
  • Panam will no longer sound as if she's in a holocall when talking to her about events from Phantom Liberty in person.

Last edited:
In my case on XSX, after the 2.0 update, the dialogues of the main characters in quests are broadcast in stereo, instead of 5.1. I have "home theater" selected in the sound settings. The problem only concerns the dialogues of the main characters. Background noises (cars, gunshots, environmental sounds, pedestrian conversations) are spatial and emitted in all 5 speakers according to the location of the sound source in space. To illustrate: after the update, if I stand with my back to a speaking character during a task, I can hear their voice in the front speakers which spoils the immersion a bit.

Top Bottom