Do you use fast travel?

+

Do you use the game's fast travel system?

• Yes

Votes: 21 31.8%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 24 36.4%
  • No

Votes: 21 31.8%

• Total voters
A classic question when it comes to open-world games.

Personally, I never use fast travel.

Fast travel kills exploration, and if I were to fast travel everywhere I would miss out on a lot.
Besides, why would I want to get from A to B as quickly as possible? It's extremely boring, and the exact opposite of my playstyle in RPGs.
Fast travel also destroys the illusion of being part of the game world, especially in first-person games.

The stage is yours.

I shouldn't participate in this topic, somehow I feel the need to make a Starfield joke. :censored:

But anyway, I hate fast travel and never used it. I find it immersion breaking. Imagine this, open the map, fast travel to a point, open the map again, fast travel to the next point, opening the map agai.... oh wait..... :rolleyes:

Nah, Cyberpunk 2077 city is just to beautiful.

Last edited:
I generally agree about having the full experience and driving. But I really like the availability of fast travel is some instances.
When I use it, it usually comes to a combination of 2 things:
1. I play before I got to bed, so my time is usually limited.
2. I want to complete a particular mission and I want to make sure I can get it in. If I can't I'll go to bed irritable. I don't like that.

In that case, I'm making a small immersion trade-off in order to have the satisfaction/enjoyment of achieving a goal for the evening.

I also use it in response to shenanigans. So I got the PL mission for Bill's Hot Dog Stand. I got there, he's inside a garage, but it isn't open and I cannot get to him. A couple nights later I want to go back and see if this issue resolved itself after 2.1. I used fast travel because I was NOT driving all the way across town again only to have his garage still locked. (it wasn't this time, so that was good)

One more comment regarding fast travel and immersion. I do like that some fast travel points subway stations.

I generally agree about having the full experience and driving. But I really like the availability of fats travel is some instances.
When I use it, it usually comes to a combination of 2 things:
1. I play before I got to bed, so my time is usually limited.
2. I want to complete a particular mission and I want to make sure I can get it in. If I can't I'll go to bed irritable. I don't like that.

In that case, I'm making a small immersion trade-off in order to have the satisfaction/enjoyment of achieving a goal for the evening.

I also use it in response to shenanigans. So I got the PL mission for Bill's Hot Dog Stand. I got there, he's inside a garage, but it isn't open and I cannot get to him. A couple nights later I want to go back and see if this issue resolved itself after 2.1. I used fast travel because I was NOT driving all the way across town again only to have his garage still locked. (it wasn't this time, so that was good)

One more comment regarding fast travel and immersion. I do like that some fast travel points subway stations.

I mean, if we can fast travel with a metro system like the official E3 2018 trailer, that's something I can live with.

I have to say, for all its flaws, travelling through the city in Cyberpunk is never not amazing. I don't think I've ever used fast travel. In other games I generally as a rule try not to use it, but there are some times where traveling through the same bog over and over again and being attacked by the same respawining enemies becomes tedious, particularly later In the game so I start to use it. Generally the longer I play a game the higher the chances I will use it unless the world is so well crafted that it is worth it no matter what.

Parkour if you can really call it that anymore and a trail of bodies is how I prefer to roll these days. Lots of little pockets of gang members along the way.

I picked sometimes. I like to go back to the apartment when it gets late at night, or to quit the game, but if I'm somewhere like the Badlands then driving all that way just to sleep seems a bit much, so I'll fast travel there, sleep, fast travel back or save and quit. If I'm closer, it's driving.

Generally I like driving everywhere, it's only those two reasons I'll do otherwise.

Sometimes. Fast travel pauses the in-game time, so I use it for stuff like missions that require waiting or jobs that are time sensitive. Also a good way to check store stock or if hunting down a certain item.

At the same time, I'm pretty extreme with regular travel, like learn all the freeway entrances and exits and rarely take the map marker directions extreme. It's one of the things that I don't like about the waypoint system, the freeways are (begrudgingly) a huge part of the culture here in LA, so it should have been used more often.

Not quite certain what threshold of use separates "yes" from "sometimes", so I just put yes.

When a quest has me zipping all over the map for what seems like no good reason other than to extend reported play time, I use fast travel. When I'm in a part of a game that does a reasonably good job of immersion, then I don't.

A classic question when it comes to open-world games.

Personally, I never use fast travel.

Fast travel kills exploration, and if I were to fast travel everywhere I would miss out on a lot.
Besides, why would I want to get from A to B as quickly as possible? It's extremely boring, and the exact opposite of my playstyle in RPGs.
Fast travel also destroys the illusion of being part of the game world, especially in first-person games.

The stage is yours.
Was that a serious question?
Why would we want to go from A to B as quickly as possible?
Simple, NOT everyone has time.
A whole lot of games to experience , not enough time due to life and some games are HUGE and can be difficult to navigate(like CP2077) plus once you see some sight 100x it can become stale .
Driving with KB can make game unplayable like in case of CP2077 , while on foot is simply too slow.
Some games are not super interesting to explore , but they have interesting central and/or optional quests, characters and combat .

edit

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope, never if I can avoid it.

In a game like Starfield where I have to, I will. Otherwise, nope. It just breaks the experience for me. I sailed across the Greek isles in Assassin's creed Odyssey, I rode across The Witcher 3, drove across CP2077 and walked:cry: across the wasteland in every Fallout game to name but a few.

The fact that I barely get any gaming time isn't enough to push me to use it either. I would rather save and pick up exactly where I left off and keep on travelling than use fast travel.

Nope, never if I can avoid it.

In a game like Starfield where I have to, I will. Otherwise, nope. It just breaks the experience for me. I sailed across the Greek isles in Assassin's creed Odyssey, I rode across The Witcher 3, drove across CP2077 and walked:cry: across the wasteland in every Fallout game to name but a few.

The fact that I barely get any gaming time isn't enough to push me to use it either. I would rather save and pick up exactly where I left off and keep on travelling than use fast travel.
Meaning you potentially spend thousands of hours instead of dozens or couple of hundred?
Do you use health potions?
It is not realistic to heal yourself like that , you know .
Or that you save a game and reload when you die .
You should treat every game as a permadeath to preserve sense of immersion if you die .
In fact , you should not be playing that game anymore at all.
Your character has died and it is unrealistic and often contrary to the lore that when a person dies just comes back to life so you have no business in playing the game again .
Ever .

EDIT:
Infact , you should not even save , but leave a console or a computer or whatever other device ON in all circumstances and should a powerloss happens , you should treat it as if you died.
A maximum immersion .

So I've voted 'sometimes' (I think the outright 'no' voters lost here when you bundle sometimes+yes, in case anyone's not watching the outcome :D).

Early game, almost never - running/driving around is a great way to explore and discover POI's (even unmarked ones).
Later game though it gets a bit of a workout, particularly once the POI's are largely cleared. Travelling 3.8mi and your best chance of encounter is 3 random tyger claws standing around their bikes? skip. I thought 2.0 would add more random content appearing, but I haven't seen it yet.
if vehicle handling was better (kb/mouse) I'd use it less, for sure.

Oh yeah, why treck back across the map to a place where I've already been half a dozen times? Or go around my butt to get to my elbow for some wonky quest location? Walking and seeing the same NPCs over and over again isn't fun. Getting to my objective and talking my way in / blowing peoples faces off is.

Stealing and rewording a movie quote here, but...
"Have you ever played Cyberpunk 2077? Have you ever played it on weed?"
-a reason why some people don't fast travel

Honestly, I like being efficient and I like feeling immersion. Some times it's one, sometimes it's the other and some times it's both.

Top Bottom