Don't like being a mercenary? Well, there's still some hope...

+

Sild

Ex-moderator
I'm pretty sure you'll still be a mercenary. That just means you can be very bad at your job :coolstory:

Sild

Ex-moderator
Who would hire a mercenary who intentionally botches his jobs?

That's what Street Cred is for maybe?

Edit: And they don't exactly hire you, they give you the opportunity, offer a job which you can take or not. Failing them would mean you get no Street Cred or maybe even lose Street Cred which stops you from gaining access to higher profile jobs, shops, contacts etc. It's more an "immersion" mechanic than a viable gameplay alternative imo, it enhances the illusion of a living alternate world. But your role, your job, in that world is pretty much a mercenary, it's what CDPR have said many times before.

Last edited:

Sild

Ex-moderator
Well, you can be good at other things than mercenary jobs.
But you may be right if Street Cred is very simple in the way it is included in the game.

Oh, i hope we'll have loads of stuff to do that don't involve mercenary work. But i think the main quest is build around the fact that you are one :shrug:

If your worried about " mercenary life " you don`t have to play a Solo like a traditional mercenary , you could take up one of the other rolls like a Net Runner. It would be less about shooting people and a more like what we saw from T Bug in the demo.

While the term mercenary has LOTS of less then savory connotations it really only means someone temporarily hired to do a specific job. You could easily say that contract workers are mercenaries.

I dont see why anyone would mind being a merc.

Mercs still choose who they work for and with.

Because do mercs jobs with money as the reason why?
Post automatically merged:

If your worried about " mercenary life " you don`t have to play a Solo like a traditional mercenary , you could take up one of the other rolls like a Net Runner. It would be less about shooting people and a more like what we saw from T Bug in the demo.

That just changes "how" you do things, not the "what" nor the "why".

Post automatically merged:

Are you a PnP player ? Maybe in the next CP you`ll be able to play a different occupation, one less Merc like .

Are you a PnP player ?

Used to.
Now we plays other games than Cyberpunk 2020.

Maybe in the next CP you`ll be able to play a different occupation, one less Merc like .
Hope so.
I actually took an hit when Mike Pondsmith previous declaration "Every Role will be there" ended up talking about NPC instead of your character. Actually I never was interested playing anything else than either a Rockerboy or a Corpo in the PnP.
At least that made me learn one thing: Even when you trust a source, always try to understand things in the worst way possible if you wants to be more accurate. It's actually really helpful when hearing politician, as the wording is more crucial than the rest to understand what they really mean, like:
"We will not raise taxes" translate in "We will raise duties instead".

I think mercenary is also a blanket term for ways to get money in Night City. Your not going to be expected to have to blend in, or be normal, or get a regular job at buck-a-slice.

I think I understand what you are saying because I want the same thing as well. There are alot of people who don't want to be part of many combat and /or shooting gameplay styles, so I am hoping that CDPR has a few surprises up their sleeve for us. I would love to get immersed in the tech of this world and help teammates out with that. While others are focusing on more violent means of doing things, I would love to know that I am powerful through knowledge. For example: players who get to a certain tech status(or something) will not have to fear being messed with by physically strong people because they are smart and have failsafes in place that would wreck them much more in a confrontation. Even just having certain info on others is a form of power for things like blackmail. Those examples added to reflexes, agility, and street-smarts should be like gold in NC.

I'm going to play the game no matter what. The hype is based on a good studio making a game based on a good franchise. There may be a time in the future, maybe far, that will have as many Cyberpunk titles as Witcher games.
At least we have the forum to express concerns and hopes for the title that will pave the way for the other types of Cyberpunk games.

I actually took an hit when Mike Pondsmith previous declaration "Every Role will be there" ended up talking about NPC instead of your character. Actually I never was interested playing anything else than either a Rockerboy or a Corpo in the PnP.

I agree and would lie to myself if I wouldn't say I was a bit disappointed, to say the least, to see all classes or if not classes then classic factions go.

I am not saying this is now a bad game, by no means. It will likely surpass many others and raise the bar, and I will play it with joy.

But I would have played it with even more joy in the old iteration or planned version. Ever since the very first trailer I was hoping to play a cop or corpo in the classic way in such a world. If not as "class", then as faction or playstyle, affiliated. Instead of a hired gun or hangaround or trusted partner at best (assuming so far, didn't play the game obviously).

Long story short I was immediately sold on the initial ideas or implications that they changed to a subjectively less favorable approach (for me), which is an "independent V" less tied to factions. But I simply like my classic factions and roles :shrug:

So I was like "meh" when it became clear it changed, but again, doesn't mean I now consider the game "bad" all in all. Quite looking forward to it and DLC, mods and follow-ups that perhaps give me what I might miss in the game.

In a way this game, in terms of approach to the char, reminds me heavily of Fallout New Vegas all the time. There you could never join the big factions, only work with them or against them. While you could actually join certain smaller ones they weren't key players in the war or plot there. And yet I loved the game, also because often the lines just blurred, where you basically felt like a part of a faction. With ties, perks, trust. Access to faction specific privileges. Helped the NCR? They let you into the strip on their monorail. Felt a bit like a VIP when the guards at the station greet you and say you have access. That's the stuff I'd like to see, then I could care less about being a class or member of a faction on paper or not.

If CP77 manages to roughly do the same I am more than happy.

Top Bottom