Dumb question but why cant the chip be reprogrammed to re-install V properly?

+
Ok so the main story is that the chip is re-writing V's brain to accept the Johnny engram imprinted....and the reason Vis dying is that her brain is now broken and cant accept the V personality.

So why cant the chip be reprogrammed to over-write V's Johnny-fied brain to accept the V engram?

Basically the way I understood it was that the chip is also physically destroying the brain tissue and replacing brain tissue with new connections thus whiping the V out of the brain to make room for the construct and even if you remove Johnny you can't undo the physical damage. Also as Viktor explained, the chip contains nanites that were fixing damage caused by the bullet, so it's very likely that the nanites are the ones also doing the damage and due to the chips relationship with the brain, removing the nanites and the chip might cause the bullet wound to reopen and kill V instantly.
I could be completely wrong but that's how I saw it.

I suspect the first problem is/was by the time V reaches Mikoshi the process has been going on for too long. A weak analogy would be restoring backed up data. It'll go swimmingly if that data is in pristine shape. It's a bit of a pickle if it's corrupted and/or has been altered. By the time V enters Mikoshi Alt doesn't have a reliable reference point for "V". At that moment Alt has a complete clusterfuck of V+J to work with.

A secondary problem, and this is a bit of an assumption, is the relic didn't sound like it was designed to be reused. I had the impression it was a one-off. Once the process starts it's not tooled to be stopped or reversed. So the last ditch effort to solve the problem was a hail mary from the start. A battle against the fundamental nature of the technology. An attempt to make a not yet fully understood prototype behave in an unintended fashion.

Ok so the main story is that the chip is re-writing V's brain to accept the Johnny engram imprinted....and the reason Vis dying is that her brain is now broken and cant accept the V personality.

So why cant the chip be reprogrammed to over-write V's Johnny-fied brain to accept the V engram?
The game never explains it, but my guess has always been that repeated engram overwrites leads to some manner of plaque build up in the brain's tissue, similar to what people with dementia experience over time as their disease progresses.

why wouldnt they just digitize Vs contious just as they did with johnys and put him back as an engram back to his own body?
I bet Alt could do that fro behind a wall.

"DUMB QUESTION BUT WHY CANT THE CHIP BE REPROGRAMMED TO RE-INSTALL V PROPERLY?"

According to Vic, because the chip sees V's psyche as a tumor, that needs to be wiped. According to the chip, the brain belongs to Johnny, and V is the evil invader.

Edit: "He who asks is a fool for five minutes, but he who does not ask remains a fool forever." Mark Twain

I think Hellman mentions that the prototype chip was designed to be installed onto a recently deceased body, which would then take over and physically modify the brain (via nanites) to the persona on the chip.

V is an extreme case of the chip being installed on a still living body (specifically it is installed while V is still alive, and then when they die, the chip boots up to begin its processing).

Unfortunately, since the chip is designed to "takeover", it causes irreversible damage to V's physiology, so that even when V is turned into a chip, the body has been modified to match Johnny.

At least, that's how I understood it.

My only guess on why V's chip cannot re-modify the body is because the changes made by the chip were designed to work only once. The dialogue in the game seems to suggest that it can no longer be reversed.

It's also not clear whether the engram that V is turned into is the same as the prototype that Johnny is in. V's engram might have only been made to store their information, whereas Johnny's experimental engram was designed to take over a body.

Last edited:
Top Bottom