Enemy Level Scaling

+

Should enemies scale up to the player's level?

• Total voters
Im the one who voted scale up and down, just to have the possibility. You are sent to some missions early on that have very high threat zones all around. Which makes your exploration pretty linear, because, especially at the start, your dmg sucks hard and you dont even scratch them before they blow you to bits.

Then you advance a bit with the story, and suddenly there are a TON of very low threat zones which you clear with very little effort guns blazing. And Im a very bad aim, I die more by accidentally shooting a fuel tank or stepping on a mine than due to enemies.

Also if you explore too much and go beyond lvl 25 or so without progressing the main story, combat becomes absolutely trivial, and only some bosses will ask a bit of effort from you.

For reference, I did my first playthrough on normal and switched to hard about halfway through the storyline. The second Im doing very hard from the get go

Enemies who level up with you are the reason why I absolutely dislike Skyrim and everything around it for example. This makes the own level system completely obsolete ... why bother getting stronger, when everything gets stronger to? If the delta is 0 before a level up and 0 after the level up ... why level at all?

Honestly, this was the worst invention in RPGs since literally ever in my eyes.

Regards

I would even be more drastic and remove leveling, it serve no purpose and remove immersion.

Progression should be natural and come by upgrading weapons, cyberware and by learning new abilities. A gun wound should do the same damage if the person holding the gun is Adam Smasher or a 5 years old untrained kid, as long as it hits the target.

I agree with sommojames to a certain extent. I would keep leveling but have a perk or set of perks under athletics to be the only way to increase hp outside of certain types of cyberware. I would also get rid of the looter shooter system and have everything have a set stat range to account for quality variations. I personally would prefer to see a crafting station or stations in the game with the ones in your apartment or base of operations being free all others would cost eddies depending on your relationship with the owner of the station.

I think how it works now is pretty decent on normal difficulty.

I was level at 49 when I final mission, but then I took my time before and did about everything I could. Players who do not do all the side content won't be anywhere that level.

It's just that combination of level scaling, crafting and looting is kind of formula behind borefests like Tom Clancy's The Division, which was horrible, I left last mission unfinished just because not having that cheevo was my only way to show my middle finger to Ubi. Definitely something I don't want in Cyberpunk 2077.

As i previously said my personal preference would be to have the full map open to the player from the start and have every mission, side mission, gig and enemy scale to the player, that way if i wanted to do say all content in the badlands one playthrough while rping a nomad i can and maybe pacifica next time.

It has the added benefit of seeing all the content over multiple playthroughs instead of being forced to play through a set way before you can do stuff

As i previously said my personal preference would be to have the full map open to the player from the start and have every mission, side mission, gig and enemy scale to the player, that way if i wanted to do say all content in the badlands one playthrough while rping a nomad i can and maybe pacifica next time.

It has the added benefit of seeing all the content over multiple playthroughs instead of being forced to play through a set way before you can do stuff

Always interesting ... means nothing, but we are on the complete opposite sides of this spectrum. :)

Options are good! On off toggle please!

BTW: In real life; where there is NO reload last save; only idiots want to fight. Hauptman Erich Hartman of the WWII Luftwaffe holds the all time record for aerial victories. 352. By his own admission; he shot 80% of them in the back. ;)

Anything to make fights more engaging please. Fights are over before they even start. I don't use the overpowered quickhacks either. Usually I just roll with SMGs. Also not a pro gamer. I'm slow, old and married, so I feel twice as old. :cry:

I don't know what the best solution is but there have been some good suggestions in this thread. Especially like the idea of more advanced mobs and mini bosses. Mobs that dodge, deflect or reflect your attacks, or have attacks that you actually need to avoid by taking cover or you're toasty. More mobs in each fight would be good too. Target rich environments. Some of the best RPGs ever made have you mowing down hordes of creeps. It's important to have good fights between all the talking and "making choices", otherwise you might just as well play one of these anime hentai whatever simulators on Steam, where you just talk and talk and talk to try and get your teacher Miss Okinawa laid but she's into Ash Ketchup so you sneak in on her while she's taking a shower and catch a glimpse of her bosom but then your wife bursts into the room and catches you playing that stupid anime game and threatens to take the kids and go to her mother's place for a few days and you try to explain to her that Miss Okinawa is actually just a tank in human form but she won't listen and everything goes downhill from there.

Oh so your playstyle has more right of existance than mine? How very sweet of you.

Yes, actually since you are saying the playerbase should be forced to gimp themselves so the difficulty even on very hard isn't a complete joke. If all you want to do is speed farm for gold World of Warcraft is that way -->

Anything to make fights more engaging please. Fights are over before they even start. I don't use the overpowered quickhacks either. Usually I just roll with SMGs. Also not a pro gamer. I'm slow, old and married, so I feel twice as old. :cry:

I don't know what the best solution is but there have been some good suggestions in this thread. Especially like the idea of more advanced mobs and mini bosses. Mobs that dodge, deflect or reflect your attacks, or have attacks that you actually need to avoid by taking cover or you're toasty. More mobs in each fight would be good too. Target rich environments. Some of the best RPGs ever made have you mowing down hordes of creeps. It's important to have good fights between all the talking and "making choices", otherwise you might just as well play one of these anime hentai whatever simulators on Steam, where you just talk and talk and talk to try and get your teacher Miss Okinawa laid but she's into Ash Ketchup so you sneak in on her while she's taking a shower and catch a glimpse of her bosom but then your wife bursts into the room and catches you playing that stupid anime game and threatens to take the kids and go to her mother's place for a few days and you try to explain to her that Miss Okinawa is actually just a tank in human form but she won't listen and everything goes downhill from there.
:ROFLMAO:

I do wish the game would get harder when your character progressed to a certain level of capability...maybe more enemy groups having netrunners that actually had a chance of killing you. The game needs another difficulty level that does more than just give the enemy more health.

That sounds... oddly specific hahah

Hello

Once you completed about half of the quests and gigs in this game, the other half has become 'Very Low' to 'Low' threat level.

This takes all the challenge and joy out of combat in these low threat encounters.

Wouldn't it be better to scale all enemies* at least up to the player's level?
(*or NPCs in general - to include those NPCs standing around on the street)

And please don't solve this issue by making leveling slower - gameplay becomes much better once you've invested some points into Attributes and Perks and you have a character build you enjoy.

What do you think?
Agreed! I've been keepin V in the sweet spot of lvls 19,20,&21 to keep things interestin. Use console commands for any level specific items.

Last edited:
I’d have to agree with you. Just today I reached level 50 and have an armor rating at over 5000 and with the help of a few perks that increases to over 7000. I was at the City Center and was watching two NCPD netrunners detaining two other netrunners face down on the ground. I performed a save and then opened fire on them and immediately about a dozen cops swarmed in and 4 turrets dropped down and started opening fire on me and I was barely taking any damage and took them all out easily. Not to mention that all my weapons are maxed out and have no more upgrades. When you reach that level it’s just not challenging anymore. This definitely needs to change.

Hello

Once you completed about half of the quests and gigs in this game, the other half has become 'Very Low' to 'Low' threat level.

This takes all the challenge and joy out of combat in these low threat encounters.

Wouldn't it be better to scale all enemies* at least up to the player's level?
(*or NPCs in general - to include those NPCs standing around on the street)

And please don't solve this issue by making leveling slower - gameplay becomes much better once you've invested some points into Attributes and Perks and you have a character build you enjoy.

What do you think?

it looks like enemy level is determined when they are spawned the first time. They match your level with a slight modifier. If you have PC, make yourself 50 at the prologue, they ll all be pretty high.

That said no one can handle a fully geared/leveled char, its not really about level at that point its just designed to be OP if you min max
Post automatically merged:

Level scaling is a bad design and ruins immersion. At the endgame, the peasants are running with the best armors and weapons in the game (like in Oblivion).

in this game tho, most of your enemies should have access to similar stuff you have. corpo trained, top line cyberware, or hardened criminals. Its fine that they don't, just for funsies, but its not really logical In this game.

Game should be balanced like Half-Life 2. You get more toys to play with but you can't become a god. Likewise, enemies should obey the same rules you do.

Top Bottom