Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
I would suggest reinstalling the original game again, registering it and then installing the EE, 1.5 and DC patches, in that order. I just went through this on W7 x64 and it works fine. I did get a popup dialog telling me the Tages driver could not be installed, which just meant I did not have to uninstall it later.

arcticblizzard said:
Hi, I just purchased the original version of this game and am trying to update it to EE and then DC on W7 x64 - however, I am running into some difficulties:I have downloaded the official installer for v1.4, as well as the English language pack. They are both located in the same directory, as pointed out in the FAQ.I have registered my game, and when installing the path (after the registration check), I get an error stating: "The language pack corresponding to the language version of the game already on your system was not found..." - and I have to exit the installer.
in what language is the game installed? it's the US or UK version?read the FAQ: http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=17503.0 and read about the menu issue regarding some missing registry keys, be sure to have those first :)

To install the 1.4 update I go to the section and start to follow the easy steps. To get the lenguage pack. Ooops! failed to connect to server or whatever. Cannot be found. I download it from elsewhere and when I try to install it I am told I need the EE. When I try to install the EE I am told it needs the lenguage pack. And now I am hearing people say they had to "change the name of files" " download them in the same archive" and such nonsense. I am not a programer nor a computer engineer. If you are incapable of producing an upgrade that is simple to install then you are NOT competent to produce an upgrade. I have the original version and I upgraded it to 1.3 level. I got it to have the Price of Neutrality precuel game. Now I want the rest. Am I going to get it? The "easy" steps is a bust.

JuanCdePaz said:
If you are incapable of producing an upgrade that is simple to install then you are NOT competent to produce an upgrade.
You have the game. You can play it. CDPR is providing an enhancement to the game -- one that most companies would make you pay for -- for free, because they're good to their customers. But if you don't like it, feel free not to download it; no one is twisting your arm.To install Patch 1.4, you have to be able to read and follow directions, no programming required. From the FAQ:Directions for installing the EE (Patch 1.4):The Witcher Update - Frequently Asked QuestionsQ: How do I install the v. 1.4 patch?A:1. Download the patch file.2. Download the language pack(s) - approx. 500 MB each.3. Place all downloaded files in a single directory.4. Install the Patch (double-click on TWEE_upgrade.exe).5. Enjoy the Enhanced Edition Smiley6. (Optional) Download bonus content & soundtrack.Q: I don’t know how to download filesA: To download files, you have to press ‘SCIAGNIJ’ button or the link above the description, on the page that will appear after clicking links on our page. Q: The Patch installation process is not responding. Has my PC crashed?A: The process of “modifying game files” can last anywhere from 30 minutes to 4 hours depending on your operating system and hardware (it runs faster on Windows Vista). Throughout the installation process, Task Manager will show its status as “Not responding.” That’s absolutely normal. Do not end the task or the process. Aborting the process will damage the installed game and necessitate reinstallation of both the game and the patch. Q: I aborted the patch installation. What now?A: Unfortunately the patch installation process irreversibly modifies game files. If you aborted it for any reason, you must reinstall the game and then rerun the patch installation.Q: I have the 64-bit version of Windows XP and the installation process never runs to completion.A: Installation might be a problem with the 64-bit version of Windows XP. The process of “modifying game files” may not run to completion. To avoid this, run TWEE_Upgrade.exe in Windows 95 compatibility mode (right-click on the file and go to the file properties, then the “Compatibility” tab).Q: The game exits to Windows after I choose Polish dialogues.A: After you download a few language packs (including Polish) and select all except the Polish language during patch installation, the main menu will show Polish dialogues as a selectable option (even though they are not present). Choosing Polish dialogues and running the game will generate an error and cause the game to exit to Windows. You can correct this situation by installing the Polish dialogues (to do so, run TWEE_Polish_language_pack.exe). Q: I’ve installed additional language packs but my Game Options show no additional subtitles.A: The subtitles are located only in TWEE_Upgrade.exe. If you deselected any subtitles and dialogue files (e.g. English) during the initial patch installation and then installed the dialogues using the relevant language pack (e.g. TWEE_English_language_pack.exe), the subtitles will still be unavailable. To correct this, run TWEE_Upgrade.exe once again.Q: I’ve downloaded the language packs/additional adventures, but the installer fails to detect them.A: Make sure that all downloaded files are located in a single source directory and that they all have their original names.Q: Do I need to be on-line during patch installation?A: Yes, you must be on-line throughout the installation process so that your registration data can be verified. No private data is taken from your computer during this process. Q: Do I have to install the patch on the same computer I used to activate the game?A: Yes, you must install the patch on the same computer you used to activate the game because the verification process must be able to reference the necessary registry entries.Q: Can firewall/antivirus software affect the installation process?A: We strongly suggest that you exit all antivirus/firewall programs before initiating patch installation.

Corylea said:
Corylea said:
If you are incapable of producing an upgrade that is simple to install then you are NOT competent to produce an upgrade.
You have the game. You can play it. CDPR is providing an enhancement to the game -- one that most companies would make you pay for -- for free, because they're good to their customers. But if you don't like it, feel free not to download it; no one is twisting your arm.
This is total crap. Why do they provide it if it doesn't actually work? If they were "good to their customers," they would provide a patch that would actually install. I have the game, but I can't actually play it. Because attempting install of the patch forces changes to the original game files and makes it unplayable when the patch fails. So I have a big pile of poo. The folks who are privileged enough to have been able to get the patch to install rave about it. But the company obviously doesn't care that much, or they'd be here trying to help us find a solution. It's been almost two weeks since I submitted a support request to them, and I haven't heard a word. Crap!
Corylea said:
To install Patch 1.4, you have to be able to read and follow directions, no programming required.
Not at all. In fact, I have programming experience and I can't get the patch to install. I followed the instructions to a T, but it WILL NOT WORK. It says, "Catastrophic failure" every time. Yesterday I even uninstalled the original game, deleted all registry keys, then reinstalled from scratch, in the order suggested here. Still didn't work. Perhaps instead of re-posting steps that have already been posted, you could trust the folks that say they've already tried those and it still does not work...and maybe suggest something else, for a change?

OK, I think I may have a solution. Evidently when it gives the minimum requirements for the patch to work, they are also maximum requirements. It mentions that specifically for the .NET installs, but does NOT mention it for XP's service packs. It says you need SP2, which I assumed was the minimum, and I had SP3, so figured I was fine. But on a whim, I removed the SP3 install from my machine, and the patch installed fine (finally). For you other folks having the catastrophic error, are you running SP3? If so, try removing it and repeating the install. To be safe, I would remove the game entirely (and delete all registry entries for it, as you'll need to register it again...be careful if you don't know how to do this, as messing with the registry without knowing what you're doing is a bad idea and can really mess up your machine) and start from scratch after you're back to SP2. I also got an error when I tried to install the original game in safe mode, but the patch only worked in safe mode. In other words, make sure you install the original game in "regular" mode but the patch in "safe mode".So, if you've already tried to install the game:
  • Remove all versions of the game, patches, original, everything.
  • Delete all Witcher folders
  • Remove all Witcher entries in your registry, as you'll need to register the game again and you won't be able to unless you actually clear the registry
  • Run ONLY XP SP2, so if you're running SP3, you'll need to remove it. Let me know if you don't know how to do this.
  • Ensure ONLY the .NET versions listed are installed.
  • Remove (or at least disable...I uninstalled) all antivirus and antispyware software
  • Install the original game in "regular" mode of XP SP2, then restart into safe mode
  • Install the patch in "safe mode", then restart into regular mode
  • Install any further patches (1.5, Director's Edition) in "regular" mode.
  • Reinstall SP3, restart
  • Reinstall antivirus/antispyware software
If you haven't tried to install the game, just ignore the first 3 steps above.Hope this helps. What a freaking hassle this has been. Now I'll try putting in some time with game and maybe I can find out what folks are raving about!

[You have the game. You can play it. CDPR is providing an enhancement to the game -- one that most companies would make you pay for -- for free, because they're good to their customers. But if you don't like it, feel free not to download it; no one is twisting your arm.Is anybody listening?-not you MBROWN3, I know you are. The upgrade download page is NOT WORKING. I get the runaround until it ends in a Google Ooops! page. True, nobody is twisting my arm. only I cannot play the game because I cannot go into the Swamp in part 2 and nothing they tell me seems to work. Plus I want to know why you believe the upgrade download page is working. I have been unable to get ANYTHING from it. And if when you click where you have been told to you get NOTHING it is NOT working.Your explanations and instructions are useless and unacceptable. Unless I get what I need when I do as I am told your site and pages are USELESS and a MOCKERY. And considering how plagued with constant problems your game is your constant upgrades are not a gift but repairs.

JuanCdePaz said:
The upgrade download page is NOT WORKING. I get the runaround until it ends in a Google Ooops! page. True, nobody is twisting my arm. only I cannot play the game because I cannot go into the Swamp in part 2 and nothing they tell me seems to work. Plus I want to know why you believe the upgrade download page is working. I have been unable to get ANYTHING from it. And if when you click where you have been told to you get NOTHING it is NOT working.
try with Opera or Google Chrome :hmmm:eek:r use a mirror

I installed Chrome(why should I, I don't know). To no avail. I am getting NOWHERE fast here. Is the upgrade available or NOT? If it is tell me where. It is NOT at sciagnij.pl. Give me a proper address. I don't need it because it makes the game pretty but because I am HOPING it will solve the bugs and problems it has.

JuanCdePaz said:
I installed Chrome(why should I, I don't know). To no avail. I am getting NOWHERE fast here. Is the upgrade available or NOT? If it is tell me where. It is NOT at sciagnij.pl. Give me a proper address. I don't need it because it makes the game pretty but because I am HOPING it will solve the bugs and problems it has.
get it from here then: http://computergames.ro/en/games/viewitem/id/721/name/the-witcher/section/downloads.html

Try http://www.fileshack.com/browse.x/4369. That's where I got my files, and they have them separated into original game to 1.4 (including the language pack). Worked for me...eventually.

mbrown3 said:
Try http://www.fileshack.com/browse.x/4369. That's where I got my files, and they have them separated into original game to 1.4 (including the language pack). Worked for me...eventually.
Thanks. I went with the one LICAON_KTER suggested, now I am back to the problem I had before when I downloaded 1.4 and the lenguage pack. Neither will work if the other one isn't installed FIRST!!! :wall: :wall: :mad: :mad: :wall: :wall:

JuanCdePaz said:
Thanks. I went with the one LICAON_KTER suggested, now I am back to the problem I had before when I downloaded 1.4 and the lenguage pack. Neither will work if the other one isn't installed FIRST!!!
then do what the Update FAQ says: put bopth files in the SAME folder, make sure they have their ORIGINAL NAMES, then run TWEE_UPGRADE

so everytime i try to install in the 1.4 EE patch it tells me it cant find the right language pack installed, so i downloaded the english language pack and everytime i try to install that it tells me i got to install the 1.4 EE, so any help would be apreciated

This is INSANE. I got 1.4 DAYS AGO from somewhere else and I thought it wasn't working. All I have to do is unzip the two patches, put them side by side in a folder and run the stupid thing. I just hope these patches and upgrades fix all the problems the game has.

I have got excactly the same problem... how am i supposed to install a langauge pack if i need to install 1.4 first?i have installed patch 1.2 , 1.3 before i tried to install 1.4thanks in advance

Pengster said:
so everytime i try to install in the 1.4 EE patch it tells me it cant find the right language pack installed, so i downloaded the english language pack and everytime i try to install that it tells me i got to install the 1.4 EE, so any help would be apreciated
and
Pengster said:
I have got excactly the same problem... how am i supposed to install a langauge pack if i need to install 1.4 first?i have installed patch 1.2 , 1.3 before i tried to install 1.4thanks in advance
you put both files ( TWEE_upgrade and the language pack ) in the same folder, with their original filenames, and you run TWEE_upgrade.exe and you get what ?

If you're getting an error that one should be installed to install the other, something is not functioning right. It may not be the right language pack. There are different ones for the UK and the US, both English, so when you download, you have to install the correct one. Also, if you're going from the original game to 1.4, that's a different language pack than if you're going from, say, 1.3 to 1.4. If you use the link I posted, it lists all the different ones, including that from the original game to 1.4. If you're trying the install after you've already previously tried it, it will not work. You get one shot. So once you've tried it once and it doesn't work, you have to remove all patch attempts and the original game, delete the registry keys, and start over. If you're not doing this, it's not going to work.

mbrown3 said:
If you're getting an error that one should be installed to install the other, something is not functioning right. It may not be the right language pack. There are different ones for the UK and the US, both English, so when you download, you have to install the correct one. Also, if you're going from the original game to 1.4, that's a different language pack than if you're going from, say, 1.3 to 1.4. If you use the link I posted, it lists all the different ones, including that from the original game to 1.4. If you're trying the install after you've already previously tried it, it will not work. You get one shot. So once you've tried it once and it doesn't work, you have to remove all patch attempts and the original game, delete the registry keys, and start over. If you're not doing this, it's not going to work.
That's very useful information -- thank you for posting it!

Sure. Let me know if that doesn't work, and I'll try to help you troubleshoot some more...FWIW, I've only had time to play for about an hour, but the game is awesome. Once you get it installed, you'll love it.

Top Bottom