Enhanced Edition installation problems and solutions

+
deevius said:
When I try to install the Enhanced Edition upgrade patch (TWEE_Upgrade_Patch 1.4) it doesn't install properly, it says that only "2.58mb of space is required" for the installation which obviously can't be right, and it installs in a matter of seconds - it seems it is only installing dialogue files.Is my download of the patch corrupt or something, do I need to redownload it or is something else causing this?any help appreciated, cheersThe patch files appears to be the right size though (909mb?)[MOD]use the EDIT button[/MOD]
stop any firewall/antiviruninstall all .NET versions, reboot, install .NET 1.1/2.0/2.0sp1/3.0 in this order, rebootreinstall the game to version 1.0, then patch directly to 1.4, if the game is installed in another language get that pack too, also try with UK or US just in case ( you need to check all the files with md5sum, they need to be in a single folder, and need to have the exacly same name as you downloaded from the site, and as they're named in the link here: http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.4_patch )do try this http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16688.msg394669#msg394669 if the game crashes about a mss32.dll, or something

Just a short note before i go back to playing this truely superb ENHANCED game. After a heap of frustration and i must admit, some nasty thoughts and comments about CDPR, i have to say it was all well and truely worth it, removed firwall from my system and low and behold installation took place easily. No more error messages about :- Feature Transfer error: NotCensored, and now it is up and running perfectly. Bl##dy well done guys, i am sorry i doubted you ,TW was probably the best RPG i had played to date,TWEE is without a doubt now the best RPG around ,you have re-won my support. Look forward to your next effort, though this is going to be hard to top.

ChinkooTheThird said:
I've decided to repost this after it seems to have worked for several people. It is a fix which doesn't involve safe mode, uninstalling firewall, antivirus etc, although those methods may also work.I suggest that this thread remain as is, ie not a discussion thread, which should remain at http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0
My system is running Windows XP SP2.I was trying to install the Enhanced Edition udpate, with the English language pack, on a clean install of The Witcher from DVD and was persistingly getting the feature transfer error early on while the update was dealing with localized.key.I tried downloading from various sources, and tried disabling both my AVG antivirus, and my Comodo Firewall - no luck.Eventually I did the following:1. Extracted TWEE_Upgrade.exe using Universal Extractor, get it from: http://legroom.net/software/uniextract2. Placed all three of TWEE_English_language_pack.exe, TWEE_adventure_Side_Effects.exe, TWEE_adventure_The_Price_of_Neutrality.exe into the same directory where "setup.exe" was extracted, 3. Ran setup.exe.Authentication, installation and modification all went ahead with no problems, modification did take some time though.
added that in the OP, merged the threads also, this is a reference thread for both problems and solution. 10x

It looks like its installing for me here, but i left the install for over 8 hours and its still modifying files.this has got to be the slowest install ive ever had, and its on a quad core, 8 gb ram, and a velociraptor hd, so none of the hardware is slow.-mk

So.... I downloaded the new EE patch ( I already have the original version 1.0), english lang pack and both of the bonus adventures but when I start installing at 1% of installation (at file ..........\localized.key) it comes up with an error about cencored something and also says " Catastrophic Failure ". After I cancel the installation the game won't start. I tried redling the patch and reinstalling but it still didn't work :( Any solutions out there?

This is really a problem!I can´t get the computer on for so long...I was waiting that up to 2 hours everything is finished,preferably 1 hour.But with my relatively slow configuration,I won´t upgrade at least for a while... :-\

ambient-whisper said:
It looks like its installing for me here, but i left the install for over 8 hours and its still modifying files.this has got to be the slowest install ive ever had, and its on a quad core, 8 gb ram, and a velociraptor hd, so none of the hardware is slow.-mk
Hey mk,I appear to be having a similar issue - and on a similarly heavy-duty rig, as well! I'm going on seven hours of 'modifying game files' now, and it's not showing any signs of finishing any time soon, either... beginning to wonder if it's actually doing anything at all! If yours ever finishes up (and works) please do post on here again and let me know! It might give me some small hope for the future... :pThanks,RoA

to newer users: see first post ( http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0 )post here after trying those

Hallo,first I will say, that I come from Germany, so my Englisch is not so good. I hope you understand me. That's the problem:I've download theTWEE-Upgrade.exe. the TWEE-German-language-pack and the German.zip-folder. If I starting to install the TWEE-Upgrade.exe, I listen this error message on the Windows XP desktop:>Setup.New\setup.cpp (138)PAPP;PVENDOR;PGUID;$@Windows XP Service Pack 3 (2600) Non IE/Netscape 11.0Can you say me, what's wrong and what I can do? I hope you can help me.Greetings from catqueen

LicaonKter said:
to newer users: see first post ( http://www.thewitcher.com/forum/index.php?topic=16868.0 )post here after trying those
Hi Licaon,Well, I'm already installing from a baseline, all-new 1.0 install of the Witcher, fresh on my hard drive, so that shouldn't be the problem. My virus protections and firewall are off. I also checked all the files with md5sum before beginning the install, and they all checked out just fine. I had them all in the same directory. And while I certainly didn't completely uninstall and reinstall all of my .Net versions, I'm loath to do so now, for fear of ruining what might actually be a perfectly workable (if EXTREMELY slow) installation. So what do you think, then? Should I keep waiting, or should I abort this and start all over again? (which might, of course, just result in having to wait ANOTHER eight hours to install...)Thanks,RoA

RandomOfAmber said:
RandomOfAmber said:
Hey mk,I appear to be having a similar issue - and on a similarly heavy-duty rig, as well! I'm going on seven hours of 'modifying game files' now, and it's not showing any signs of finishing any time soon, either... beginning to wonder if it's actually doing anything at all! If yours ever finishes up (and works) please do post on here again and let me know! It might give me some small hope for the future... :p
Same here. I tried to install it for 6 hours yesterday afternoon till evening, then I aborted the patch and reinstalled The Witcher to start all over again.Now it's "modifying game files" for over 17 hours and no sign of life... what the hell??? :wall:c-r-u-x

Really simple, really common, there are about 50-60 of your questions to find using the SEARCH. Net result: you have a bad download. Do it again, but ignore the official site. You get nothing but garbage from there. I used File Planet and GamersHell, and finally got working copies that way.

Looks like you may have a bad copy of one of the files. The "modifying" steps should take LESS than the two hours it claims it wants, if your system actually meets the requirements {can't say that about a VISTA PC, since I won't waste time with that travesty (tested both RCTs, rejected buying the awful thing)}. Incidentally, using the "official" D/L site is just asking for more bad copies! Get them elsewhere, such as File Planet and / or GamersHell.

TheKiwi said:
Looks like you may have a bad copy of one of the files. The "modifying should take LESS than the two hours it claims it wants, if your system actually meets the requirements (can't say that about a VISTA PC, since I won't waste time with that travesty (tested both RCTs, rejected buying the awful thing).
I'm running XP, so Vista's not the problem... Guess I'm gonna have to download the patch files again and try it all over once more... -.-

Old Question, old answer (SEARCH is right there near the top). Close whatever your firewall is to eliminate the conflict, you can restart it afterward.

c-r-u-x said:
c-r-u-x said:
c-r-u-x said:
Hey mk,I appear to be having a similar issue - and on a similarly heavy-duty rig, as well! I'm going on seven hours of 'modifying game files' now, and it's not showing any signs of finishing any time soon, either... beginning to wonder if it's actually doing anything at all! If yours ever finishes up (and works) please do post on here again and let me know! It might give me some small hope for the future... :p
Same here. I tried to install it for 6 hours yesterday afternoon till evening, then I aborted the patch and reinstalled The Witcher to start all over again.Now it's "modifying game files" for over 17 hours and no sign of life... what the hell??? :wall:c-r-u-x
You aswell? : - O I had checked the files after downloading them. They all matched as Licaon_Kter showed me this link http://witcher.wikia.com/wiki/1.4_patch. And it still took me 15 hours, before aborting it.

c-r-u-x said:
c-r-u-x said:
Looks like you may have a bad copy of one of the files. The "modifying should take LESS than the two hours it claims it wants, if your system actually meets the requirements (can't say that about a VISTA PC, since I won't waste time with that travesty (tested both RCTs, rejected buying the awful thing).
I'm running XP, so Vista's not the problem... Guess I'm gonna have to download the patch files again and try it all over once more... -.-
Tell me if it works matey. If it doesn't. I'll buy the enchanced edition at my local gamestop store.

1. Intro2. What do I need?3. Now listen carefully...4. FAQ1. Intro I'm writing this howto, because a lot of people have problems with installing the 1.4 EE patch. Here You will find the way to succeed!2. What do I need?- The Witcher game- access to the Internet- Witcher CD KEY (placed on the back of game manual)- up to 2.05 GB free space just to keep the patches- a stable downloader- at least fulfilling the minimum system requirements3. Now listen carefully...First what we need to do is create an account here. Then we need to download the following files:- TWEE_Upgrade.exe (909 MB)- TWEE__language_pack.exe (size may varry depending on your language)You can also download the adventure packs, but they are not necessary... unless you want to play through two additional adventures :DWhen you're done you need to log in from the game launcher and then enter your Witcher CD-KEY. The CD-KEY is located on the back of the game manual! The CD-KEY on the sheet with "www.gram.pl/rejestracja" will fit to the spaces provided, but it's not for registering the game in CDProjekt.After we've done the registration we need to immediately open TWEE_Upgrade.exe and tick all the stuff we want to install. Notice that the language pack file contains subtitles in foreign languages, so you can install them for your own joy, each takes approx. 33 MB.4. FAQQ: I have TWEE_Upgrade, but not TWEE_Upgrade.exe. What is wrong?A: Nothing is wrong, it's just your system hiding the file extension from you. You don't want to disable hiding extensions if you're a person that knows next to nothing about computers and bought a computer in a supermarket.Q: I get some error when opening the files and the size of my files is different than the download server specifies. What is wrong?A: Abolish the myth that too much people are downloading. That's a lie. It's just your puny browser getting overwhelmed by the amount of data flowing through it. In order to fix this you need to:- uninstall Internet Explorer unless you thought that Microsoft makes SP3 just to fix something, they just want to keep people away from better browsers- install another browser, I recommend Firefox 2.0.0.16 (Firefox 3 takes too much system resources), Opera 9 and Netscape Navigator- download the file againIf you have Windows XP SP3 then you're... you're in trouble. You need to get a download manager.This will work only if you have a fast connection like 4 Mbps. If you have a slow connection and not enough faith in a non-Microsoft browser then get a download manager. I recommend:- GetRight 6.3- FlashGet- Download Accelerator 5, 6 or 7Q: I'm getting "NotCensored" catastrophic error on localized.key. What do I do?A: According to my personal experience you just need to TOTALLY disable your antivirus and firewall software. Repeat the patching process and it should slide like a piece of butter on a hot pan.Q: Patching is done. The Witcher crashes when opened. What now?A: This is caused by activating EAX. Go to the Control Panel, then open Sound and Audio setting. Choose "Sound" tab. Click "Advanced" in the playback section. Open "Performance" tab. Slide down both bars (sampling and hardware acceleration) anywhere but not the maximum. Apply settings, open Witcher. Uncheck EAX. Turn the sound hardware acceleration and sampling back to normal (maximum) and run the game again.by Michael 'dem0nter' Dec

Thank you very much for the answer. I saw the other issues about this problem too late. I'm sorry.catqueen

Top Bottom