Fallout 4

+
Just consider this game a FPS spin-off of Fallout like I'm doing and you'll feel a wee bit better.

Tried that with one of their games already and no good came out of it. A lazy FPS masquerading as an RPG is still just a lazy FPS.

Is poor gunplay really a staple of a true RPG-Shooter?

I don't see how improving the core gameplay makes the game less RPG-like, honestly.

Depends on what you consider poor and the improvement in this context. Making the game a better shooter is making a better shooter, not better RPG. The inherent mechanic of a "shooter" is contrary to that of a proper RPG where the character should be the one doing the heavy lifting and the player making the decisions (all of them). Making it a better "RPG-shooter" would consider improving the shooting mechanics (and combat flow) with RPG and the related systems in mind, not by injecting an alien gameplay format to it in order to produce some kind of halfbreed whose genre is the big unknown due to competing genre design intents.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

GOTY. No doubt....

https://a.pomf.cat/gwbrfx.webm

Last edited:
Do you guys remember when getting a new game used to be like this?

And now it's like...

Do you guys remember when getting a new game used to be like this?

And now it's like...

ikr ?!
because they were done with love and passion: there were no microtransactions, no over-the-top DRM, no BS DLC and pre-order rip off schemes, and there were no casuals or mobile gaming. we haven't seen creative and unique games like Okami for a very long time.
heck ! the consoles used to have some dignity (for me PS2 (legendary)>>>>>>>>>>>>>>PS4 (meh...)), but now they're basically over-priced PCs with nothing but disadvantages.
if it wasn't for devs like CDPR, Larian Studios or Obsidian, i would've stopped buying games a long time ago.

ok rant over, back on topic:
honestly, i thought that MAYBE they learned from the feedback of FO 3 and FO:NV, and understood why most of us liked NV waaaaaay more...but no, they had to keep on dumbing down the game even more and half-a** it.
well done bethesda, well done -_-

Last edited:
Well, nothing new. Bethesda continues his route on streamlining all of their games more and more. Now I want to see how bad TES VI will be.
Oh, and Bethesda really needs to get rid of the level scaling, goddamit.

same here. i wanna know if the game is as dumbed down and messy as it seems to be. and if the main quest is as bland and retarted as it seems.
thanks in advance.

Lol, always the optimist.

Why does it say 100% uncut? I thought Bethesda always played it light with adult content.

?? You haven't been able to kill story essential NPC's since Oblivion. True it might hurt with "mah immersion" but name a AAA RPG that has come out recently where you could kill characters that are essential to the main story.

You don't think it looks stupid? :p

Anyways...
It's been a constantly (and widely) recurring complaint in that company's products since Oblivion, essential NPC's. That's a companion character btw, not a "plot essential". It looks and feels cheap, stupid and unnecessary handholding that there is no reaction what so ever for volatile behavior like that. Especially in a series that has been revered for its reactivity. You literally can not make mistakes or have accidents. That kind of stuff cheapens the whole concept of CNPC's (making them but robotic meatshields and packmules) and reeks of lazy design. You'd think a big company swimming in money would know how to handle this kind of shit eloquently, or at least in some manner (rather than none at all an simply flagging them as immortal).

New Vegas comes to mind as an example for a game you asked. And it's not an immersion thing. Not for me at least. Just gameplay enjoyment.

It could be a lot worse

Yeah, it could. They've sure learned a lesson from that game in particular. The whole Nu-Fallout thing of theirs seems much more like a logical continuation of it rather than original core series.

Last edited:
Making the game a better shooter is making a better shooter, not better RPG. The inherent mechanic of a "shooter" is contrary to that of a proper RPG where the character should be the one doing the heavy lifting and the player making the decisions (all of them). Making it a better "RPG-shooter" would consider improving the shooting mechanics (and combat flow) with RPG and the related systems in mind, not by injecting an alien gameplay format to it in order to produce some kind of halfbreed whose genre is the big unknown due to competing genre design intents.

Sooo, In order to be a good Fallout game it needs to be a game with poor controls and governed entirely by stats which are placed on the forefront of your gaming experience?
Because the game handling your damage, health and DR output based on your perk skills, I am assuming some sort of levelling up improving their weapon handling/defence, along with your SPECIAL in the background is WRONG, and all we want is to stare at stats all day otherwise there can be no Roleplaying?
Well, guess that throws the old Fallout games out of the mix too, comparatively with many other older RPG's Fallout's statistics were always pretty streamlined and easy to understand and this was 1997, but maybe that is just me, I assume you really like spending time looking at stuff like this, myself I prefer actually experiencing the game itself rather than it's menus.

I am not a devout Bethesda defender, I am just advocating for the people who don't base RPG's on stats and more about how well you can be immersed into the world you are presented with, but I am just trying to understand what exactly it is about having decent gameplay that detracts from the game, from what I have seen it just looks like a better designed version of the FO3/NV combat system, the only thing I know they've got rid of is pages of stats where there are only a few useful ones anyway and most get entirely ignored, makes them a little redundant don't you think?

Last edited by a moderator:
Watching some leaked gameplay at the moment....

Meh..I'd rather replay FO2 or NV...Or wait for Nexus community to fix it...Or get drunk...Or whatever...

I had more fun staring into the abyss, than watching the leaked gameplay footage : ^ )

I must say, although I disliked FO3 a lot for it's typical Bethesda tropes, but at least it still was somewhat playable and you could have some fun in it.
FO4 looks like they didn't care at all.
Take animations from Skyrim. Change the lighting a bit. Make the cartoony artstyle, so people won't notice how bad it looks at the first glance.
Let someone write a script and dialogues in a week. Cut half of the features from previous games, replacing them with the Sims.
Pay millions for marketing and voila. GOTY.

I'm kinda jealous of Bethesda, they have such a reputation now, they could literally re-release Skyrim or FO3 on the rebranded Gamebryo again, unchanged and people would still kill each other to buy it. They are like Apple of video game developers - but at least Apple makes good products.

Top Bottom