Farewell Philippa. We love you.

+
Maerd;n6980980 said:
Weather cards hurt your own non-resistant units, Philippa won't. She's better than weather for many strategies. +12 is not a problem if you damage a row of double-horned units with each unit having strength 20+. Philippa is definitely has it's use but it's no longer win/save the game card, which is good. If you don't like it, use other cards, which better suit your strategy. Considering the cost of 800 then it's also a fair cost because it still can do more damage that Igni, and Igni also cost 800. A lot of cards that cost 800 don't have usefulness as nerfed Philippa. It's fair from whatever angle you might look at it.

I know, which is why I said it's like a weather card that only affects the opponent's row (and ignores weather resistance), but gives them a +12 gold card free. D bomb is going to be way more useful seeing as it will now affect gold cards too. Not saying Phillipa didn't need changes, but that I just feel it won't warrant a place in my deck anymore.

vodge;n6981030 said:
No idea why you're being so salty, I know it's a closed beta. I'm just expressing my opinion that I don't think it will be worth 800 scrap now, nowhere have I demanded anything or got angry.

So I take it back, sorry. Just the way you talked, for me at least, sounded like you were frustrated cause you spend 800 scraps making a card that you think doesn't worth that much.

I was just pointing out that these scraps will be wiped anyway, and you'll have a second chance to see if it worth your scraps next time.

vodge;n6981070 said:
I know, which is why I said it's like a weather card that only affects the opponent's row (and ignores weather resistance), but gives them a +12 gold card free. D bomb is going to be way more useful seeing as it will now affect gold cards too. Not saying Phillipa didn't need changes, but that I just feel it won't warrant a place in my deck anymore.

I have to disagree with you, even if the enemy has Dimitrium bomb, it's not likely they'll have when they need. Plus Phillipa was always the last card you play, so even if they have Dimitrium bomb, they'll need the luck to play after you, or they'll have to pass with dimitrium bomb on their hand and you can use Phillipa without counterplay.

In my opnion you're overreacting, Phillipa was out-of-control and needed some serius nerf, now she has a niche and it's in the same realm of power as other debuff gold cards. If you think that no card that isn't broken doesn't have a place in your deck, you're playing the wrong card game.

Maerd;n6980430 said:
I also have advice for you. Learn to play a game without relying on one card, and stop whining about nerfing.

Oh well, I did pretty well against you, for example. Without using Philippa.
:smiling2:
http://i.imgur.com/zvGGAnr.jpg

And many, many other times I've won without using her or with her being used against me. Philippa was no big deal. A strong, but counterable card.
So, please, read through my posts carefully, I did explain my position about nerfs pretty clearly.

yenni;n6982110 said:
Oh well, I did pretty well against you, for example. Without using Philippa.
:smiling2:
http://i.imgur.com/zvGGAnr.jpg

And many, many other times I've won without using her or with her being used against me. Philippa was no big deal. A strong, but counterable card.
So, please, read through my posts carefully, I did explain my position about nerfs pretty clearly.
Yeah, you won against one of my experimental decks. I remember that game, it was few days ago and I just got Henselt from the keg and I was experimenting and tuning the synergies. So what? I have decks for every leader I own, for some more than one. Some are better, some worse. My winningest is a monster weather deck.

Actually, the current version of that Henselt deck is partially resistant to Philippa if I've got Margarita card in hand (it spouts a horde of power 2 adepts upon goldening a row, whom Philippa cannot efficiently harm).

My NR decks don't have Philippa card and they win often enough. So, it's a proof that Philippa card is nor required for viable NR deck. Philippa pre-patch is a huge deal though, it ruins gameplay and I have no interest in playing either pre-patch Philippa card myself or play against Philippa users. It's just not fun. Many times people who used Philippa won against me just because they had this card and they didn't stand a chance otherwise. It doesn't mean that they won every time they used it, especially against my monster weather deck, which not only debuffs but also tries to wipe all opponent's units from the board.

I think the nerf is not hard enough. You can't recover from Phillipa or weather, you lose all your buffs that are normally higher than your unit's base strength and definitely higher than 12 strength you're giving to your opponent. There is still no counterplay. Don't pretend that a card that negates ALL buffs applied by unit abilities, potions and commander's horn is somehow weak. And even if your opponent has a card advantage what is he going to do? Use D-bomb that he might not draw in the first place? And what will it do? Give you back your base strength? All you need to do is make sure you play Phillipa last.

kapusta23;n6982930 said:
I think the nerf is not hard enough. You can't recover from Phillipa or weather, you lose all your buffs that are normally higher than your unit's base strength and definitely higher than 12 strength you're giving to your opponent. There is still no counterplay. Don't pretend that a card that negates ALL buffs applied by unit abilities, potions and commander's horn is somehow weak. And even if your opponent has a card advantage what is he going to do? Use D-bomb that he might not draw in the first place? And what will it do? Give you back your base strength? All you need to do is make sure you play Phillipa last.

Or you can never get your Phlippa as a NR player.
Or you can spread out on several rows to mitigate Phil's impact.
Or you could place enough deck-thinning to tremendously up your chances to get your d.bomb.
Or you could bate your opponent into playing Phil' early and start applying your remaining buffs afterwards.
Or you could learn to build card advantage so it is never game's last turn Phil' for your opponent.
Or you could rely heavily on removal, so that your NR opponent would be forced to play Phil' on a loyal row.

Just sit and think through available countermeasures.

yenni;n6982940 said:
Who would have thought?

Properly executed weather resistant discard to the graveyard Skellige deck is much stronger deck than weather monsters overall, but I don't have cards for it. Radovid's spells only deck that was suggested in the tactician's section is also stronger strategy. Monsters weather is not the best strategy. So, you can shove your sarcasm to your favorite place...

Maerd
Awww, I hope I didn't hurt your feelings.
Weather-immunity is good versus weather. But that is not the whole meta. Being good against weather atm means being suboptimal for any other matchup. While being weather-heavy is profitable against most of the meta. You just need to give your deck a little extra advantage for mirror-matches and you're good.

yenni;n6983280 said:
Maerd
Weather-immunity is good versus weather.
You must be genius.

yenni;n6983280 said:
Maerd
Being good against weather atm means being suboptimal for any other matchup.
It's pretty good against many things. It can buff several units and contains weather cards too. And it will be nerfed in the patch due to being heavily relied on 6 potential resurrections and buffing priestesses to spread out buffs.

yenni;n6983020 said:
Or you can never get your Phlippa as a NR player.
Or you can spread out on several rows to mitigate Phil's impact.
Or you could place enough deck-thinning to tremendously up your chances to get your d.bomb.
Or you could bate your opponent into playing Phil' early and start applying your remaining buffs afterwards.
Or you could learn to build card advantage so it is never game's last turn Phil' for your opponent.
Or you could rely heavily on removal, so that your NR opponent would be forced to play Phil' on a loyal row.

Just sit and think through available countermeasures.

Yeah, you might not draw a card that will win you a game, BS right?
Cause people are so stupid and haven't tried that already
It's not even that good of a counter vs Phillipa or Weather, D-bomb's primary purpose is to counter buffed strength, you know, similar to what Phillipa and weather cards do right now, only those are way better.
No you cannot, it is always better to play Phillipa last because your opponent will have no opportunity to recover from it and it always works, unlike Scorch or D-bomb
You should really get off that high horse of yours. And one card lead won't save you even if you have D-bomb.
Phillipa on loyal row? Really? Lol. If anything, you're better off relying on raw base strength so that after using D-bomb and removing your opponent's buffs you have a chance to win.

Just sit and try not to treat other people like dummies, ok? Thanks.

kapusta23;n6983800 said:
Yeah, you might not draw a card that will win you a game, BS right?
Cause people are so stupid and haven't tried that already
It's not even that good of a counter vs Phillipa or Weather, D-bomb's primary purpose is to counter buffed strength, you know, similar to what Phillipa and weather cards do right now, only those are way better.
No you cannot, it is always better to play Phillipa last because your opponent will have no opportunity to recover from it and it always works, unlike Scorch or D-bomb
You should really get off that high horse of yours. And one card lead won't save you even if you have D-bomb.
Phillipa on loyal row? Really? Lol. If anything, you're better off relying on raw base strength so that after using D-bomb and removing your opponent's buffs you have a chance to win.

Yes, you may or may not draw any card be it Phil' or d.bomb. What's wrong with that?
Build card advantage to prevent your opponent from throwing Phil' at you on game's last turn.
Last turn d.bomb cost me victory plenty of times against Skellige, for example.
Yes, Phil' on loyal row is a valid play if you gain less then 6 strength from placing it on disloyal row. Pretty obvious, no?

kapusta23;n6983800 said:
Just sit and try not to treat other people like dummies, ok? Thanks.
B-but I simply share what I've experienced first-hand. One couldn't possibly feel dumb because of it.

Last edited:
yenni;n6974290 said:
So Philippa is now a golden weather card that affects a single row and gives your opponent free 12 golden strength.
I don't like the fix as well! It is a boring card now.
Better:
- only affects gold units
- keep disloyal and loyal
- reduce strength to 4

Or even better:
- keep affects all units
- Melee or Ranged only
- Loyal
- affects both sides opponent and own battlefield
- reduce strength to 3

Adding on to what I said before and what others have said:
I would argue that Phillipa is now tied with Avallac'h as the worst gold card in the game.

As it stands right now, Phillipa has the exact same effect on an opponent as a weather card, but at the cost of ALSO giving them a gold card worth twelve points to make up for it. I'd say that a gold card you can only have one of being worse than your run of the mill bronze weather card is pretty bad. Calling it an unwarranted nerf would be putting it lightly - they have literally ruined the card. A person would have to be out of their mind to consider using it anymore.

Fillory;n6992120 said:
Adding on to what I said before and what others have said:
I would argue that Phillipa is now tied with Avallac'h as the worst gold card in the game.

As it stands right now, Phillipa has the exact same effect on an opponent as a weather card, but at the cost of ALSO giving them a gold card worth twelve points to make up for it. I'd say that a gold card you can only have one of being worse than your run of the mill bronze weather card is pretty bad. Calling it an unwarranted nerf would be putting it lightly - they have literally ruined the card. A person would have to be out of their mind to consider using it anymore.

I guess I'm crazy, then. Played a game today, opponent had 29 strength total on his/her Ranged row (4 units) - I played Philippa, net swing of +13 to me. Next turn, I played Kaedweni Sergeant to turn her silver, and the next turn (the last of the game) I Scorched her. In the end, my opponent saw everything on that row reduced to one and didn't get to keep the 12 points from Philippa, either.

lovecraft.351;n6992450 said:
I guess I'm crazy, then. Played a game today, opponent had 29 strength total on his/her Ranged row (4 units) - I played Philippa, net swing of +13 to me. Next turn, I played Kaedweni Sergeant to turn her silver, and the next turn (the last of the game) I Scorched her. In the end, my opponent saw everything on that row reduced to one and didn't get to keep the 12 points from Philippa, either.

I stand by what I said. If you have to depromote and destroy your own card to keep it from being advantageous to your opponent (wasting an extra two turns on what's essentially damage control), I think it's pretty safe to say that the card is broken.

Last edited:
Yes she a lot worse now but she is not just a weather card, you got to choose which row you put her so she is atleast aeromancy:). Plus that your own side of the board does not get affected.
But still not certain she will see much play because the gold card slots in a deck are very contested.

Even after the patch, I think Philippa is still one of the best legendary cards of the game, but now balanced.
She's NOT AN AUTO-INCLUDE card anymore, but good NR players can still make really good use of her, if they want.

Maerd and Zefyris did a great job exposing lots of reasons why the card is still very powerful and useful. Props to them.

I see no problem with the card working under a "high risk - high reward" system... other cards work that way... most spies work that way.

I think it's a good thing the some people will like her and some people won't. And I think that's how it should be with all cards, if it was possible.

Less "auto-include" cards equal more deck variety and this is one of the goals of the Devs, I'm sure of it, because it makes the game more interesting for everyone.

I'm happy with the changes so far.

Top Bottom