Feedback and Suggestions for Homecoming

+
I'll discussed across several posts, because it's pretty lengthy, the points I dislike the most about Homecoming, and I think should change to make the Gwent experience better, I'll also propose some suggestions.

Mulligans Tied to Leaders, Mulligan Carry-Over, and Blacklisting.

The mulligan system being tied to the leader balance is probably the decision I agree the least in Homecoming.

It means perceived stronger leaders are more dependent on their draws than perceived weaker ones, which is completely the opposite of what Gwent used to be. Draw dependency was never really a thing, of course you could have bad draws like any card games, but you also had ways to control it thanks to the same mulligans across the three rounds. The current system is quite discouraging and not particularly fun for leaders with low mulligan, it also means the game can quite easily be unbalanced if a perceived weak leader, such as Eithné, gets more mulligans, but even if the right balance is found, we’d still have the draw dependency issue which is a huge limitation. It’s very telling that the meta is shaping around the leaders with the highest mulligans, it’s also due to the fact that the Trio Witchers is very much unbalanced, more on that later, and low mulligan leaders cannot take the risk to run them, but even without them, higher mulligan will always mean better consistency, and consistency is always better than whatever your leader ability is.

Moreover, the carry-over nature of mulligans means if you have a bad opening hand, you either keep it to save your mulligans for the last rounds, where they matter the most, but then you’ll have a disadvantage in the first round, which means you might lose it and open yourself to bleeding, or you use (some of) them to improve your opening hand, but then you might not have enough mulligans to fix your hand in the later rounds. Therefore, the mulligans carrying-over throughout the rounds has a huge impact on the game, because a bad opening hand can have dire repercussions until the last round, it’s even more striking for leaders with low mulligans. It’s make the players once again more vulnerable to the randomness of draws, and Gwent used to offer control over that aspect of the game, this is what a lot of players loved about it, and might be why a lot of players are disheartened about Homecoming.

At last, the lack of blacklisting is just the cherry on top of the cake, it just piles up with the issues mentioned above, and I don’t need to tell you how hilarious it is to use your one mulligan with Arachas Queen to get the same card back.

You created a very solid system to balance the game with provisions, the question is why wouldn’t you use it to balance the leaders rather than using another resource like the mulligans, which just brings more issues than it supports interesting gameplay. I’d rather have leaders costing provision than having them balanced around mulligans, because everybody should have the same opportunities to improve their hand, and therefore consistency, no matter how strong their deck might be.

I’m going to give a quick example, I haven’t done the maths so I’ll just use random number, but if we take the current 165 provision limit for the deck, increase it to 180 provision, and add a provision cost for leaders where the stronger ones have a provision cost of 20, and the weaker ones a provision cost of 15, therefore stronger leaders will have to sacrifice 5 provision from their current decks, which balances leaders during the deck building as stronger leaders will have to sacrifice stronger cards. Of course those numbers are certainly not right, and we’d need to find the right balance, but this way of balancing is goes perfectly with the deck building philosophy of Homecoming and doesn’t create in game issues, none that I see at least.

If leaders were balanced around provision, then we could go back to the classic three mulligans round one, with a fourth for the blue coin player, one for the second round, and another one for the third, with none of them carrying-over.

Binary Cards

It already was an issue in the beta of Gwent with the early days of weather, and here again we have the same issues of cards designed to counter one thing, being row effects of artefacts, but become totally unusable if those type of cards are not played. It's quite simple those hard counters are never worth being played, outside maybe of a Bran Discard deck, because you always run into the risk of having them brick hard in most games, and it’s why you’ll always run something like Frenzied D’Ao which guarantee value. Therefore, cards like White Frost, Clear Skies (…) should get secondary weaker abilities which would make them somewhat useful outside of their hard counter situation, this is why Clear Skies got Rally in the closed beta.

Furthermore, not only the hard counters are binary but so are their targets, being artefact and to a lesser extent row effects. In the case of artefacts, you simply cannot interact with them if you don’t have dedicated removal, as discussed above, when artefacts used to be cheaper it created particularly unfun decks which lacked any sort of interactions. It also makes order units much weaker, because they’re much easier to control with damage removals or locks, and of course if you play those order units or any sort of damage removals/locks you won’t be able to interact with the opponent’s board filled with artefacts, in that sense you don't commit a lot playing artefacts. It’s not so much an issue after the increase in the provision cost for most artefacts, but I’m not sure this increase in cost really fixed the issue of the lack of interactivity, as artefacts remain very binary, you either have an answer or not, and it remains a huge issue in Arena. Therefore, having some artefacts needing a unit adjacent to them in order to work would make them more interactive, as you could remove said unit or move it, it’ll also promote good positioning.

As for row effects, you can more easily play around them so they aren’t too binary, that being said, the removal of the third row exposes players a lot more to row effects particularly combined with movement, the Dragon’s Dream plus Nivellen combo cannot be played around at all, though it’s more of a balance issue as Nivellen should move a set number of units instead of all of them.

At last, I’d like to talk about cards that hard counter some archetypes without much counter play, the worst offender here is Xavier Lemmens, which just completely annihilates Beast Discard, Ghouls, and any cards interacting with the graveyard. It’s not an issue of provision cost, but design, the card has to change because as long as such cards exist, some archetype are doomed to fail in the ladder, and while graveyard hate should exist, it shouldn't exist to that extent.
Similarly, Usurper is another example of a rather binary counter which is also impossible to play around, and because of his ability Usurper gets no mulligan, and as we discussed above it doesn't make him a very fun leader to play, or to play against. In the PTR feedback thread I saw the following suggestion from someone whose name I don't remember:

Usurper

Order: Disable the enemy Leader until your next turn, Charge: 7.

It keeps the same disable effect, but because it's charge base it means Usurper has to be more mindful about how to use his ability, it's more tactical and should promote good reads, or strategies. In any cases, Usurper has to be reworked one way or another, otherwise he'll always be a nightmare to balance and not a very fun leader.
Post automatically merged:

Setups and Finishers in the Same Turn

We already talked about the infamous artefacts decks, but another reason why they were so strong, and why control decks are still insanely strong, is because they can line-up to setup their finishers right before using them in the same turn. It leads to combos that are almost impossible to counter, unless you play very proactively every turn before that, and leaves little to no room to reactive counter plays. If we look at beta Gwent and control decks such as Scorch’tael, they always needed one turn to line-up for a good Scorch setup, and then the next turn they could use their Scorch, which left one turn for the opponent to potentially disrupt the line-up, it was good for the gameplay as it promoted careful use of resources to disrupt those line-ups, and miles away from the infuriating and barely interactive board/row wipes we currently suffer in Homecoming.

It’s clearly not an issue regarding the provision cost of Epidemic, Scorch, Igni (…), even though some of those finishers such as Regis or Schirrú are clearly too strong because of their ability, "infinite" waves of damage for Regis and Zeal for Schirrú, so increasing their provision cost like artefacts is not going to fix anything. The issue comes from the ability to use orders before playing cards. Orders from units, artefacts, and leaders shouldn’t be able to be used before playing any cards, but they should be enabled after playing a card. I’ve seen the suggestion of having a Deployment Phase where orders cannot be used and only cards can be played, followed by an Order Phase once a card has been played and its ability resolved, where orders can but used.

[Part 2 in the fourth post, I was struggling with the character limit]

Last edited:
Usurper Order?! What if you go second and your opponent just use there one time Leader ability before you can Disable them. Then i guess you Usurper is Useless when go second againt one time leader ability, or maybe you get lucky and they will hold their ability for you to Disable.

Agree on all points.

On the topic of leaders I don't understand the need for an additional balance avenue via mulligans. Just balance the damn leaders. All of these extra balance options for cards, leaders, etc. should not need to exist. Just do a better job of designing those abilities. Leave the mulligans to be used for their intended function. There are several leaders I'd love to use regularly but because of the way deck building and card design are right now you just feel hamstrung for playing them. They don't have the mulligans.

On the topic of setups and finishers I think leader design plays a significant role. Look at Crach decks running spears with Wolfsbane and Wild Boar of the Sea. The leader is effectively a slightly weaker spear himself. Those large value cards in Wolfsbane and Boar would not be as destructive if those decks didn't get the line-ups. They might be "normal" cards. Those line-ups come because the deck can output so many 1 damage pings per turn. It's the exact same reason Eithne is so powerful.

It's also important to mention it's not restricted to deploy units, artifacts, leaders or removal. Heavy engine decks are equally ridiculous if they can get a strong setup to stick. Whether those engines are damage based, buff based or both.

[Part 2]

It’d simply fix the issue of those one turn line-up followed by strong finishers, which aren’t great for counter play, and it might as well open design space for some keywords such as “haste” where you’d be able to use the order during the Deployment Phase, if limited to few cards it won’t repeat the same issue while keeping some order control interactions alive.

Of course some cards like Hubert Rejk would need some change, but simply changing the wording to: At the end of the turn Boost self by the amount of damage you dealt to enemies on this turn, would be enough.

Random Effects and High Variance

So one thing that was criticised a lot with the mid-winter patch, amongst a sea of other issues, was the increase in random effects, mainly because of Create, and not only Homecoming kept the worst instances of Create, but also added a plethora of new random effects.

I’ll start with Create, I have nothing inherently against the mechanic as it has been proven to be potentially good when the player has at the very least a small amount of control over the created options, this is why Triss: Telekinesis and Hym were rather healthy example of Create. If Homecoming kept Triss: Telekinesis, it didn’t change a lot of other Create cards, and not only that but some Create cards have an even higher variance than what they used to have, for instance Aguara: True Form used to Create bronze or silver spells, now it Creates any special cards, or Uma’s Curse pool of cards increased exponentially as the pool of gold increased in Homecoming. The Runestones haven’t changed when they could have been reworked to have interesting faction abilities, amongst other things. As I said I have nothing against Create, but we need to have control over the randomness of it, here are two suggestions:

Aguara: True Form

Strength 2, Provision 14
Ranged. Deploy: Select any Special card from either player’s graveyard, Banish it, then Create and play a Special card from that color and that category, and Banish it.

Uma's Curse

Provision 13
Create and play a gold unit from your opponent’s current deck.

Furthermore, Homecoming has a lot of RNG heavy cards to a point where one archetype is a huge RNG fiesta, I’m talking of course about Reveal.

Even though there are ways to control to some extent the randomness of Reveal, it doesn’t change the fact that it’s still an archetype with an insane amount of high variances, particularly for cards like Spotter, Yennefer: Divination, or Xarthisius, but also with cards that are simply way too good value such as Recruit or Deithwen Arbalest, because at their worst they’re at the average value for their provision cost, but at their best (through luck) will far exceed it. It’s frustrating to play, and even worst to play against.

Moreover there are another plethora of cards with insane variances, cards like Gascon or Waylay, amongst others, are not only boring and missed opportunities to have interesting abilities but also huge RNG fiestas which are not even worth playing, and honestly should be reworked. On a similar note cards like Angoulême which are already quite conditional, add another layer of randomness which just doesn't make the card good to play. Here is a suggestion for a rework of Waylay, to make it more interactive in the handbuff archetype, and/or the tribal elf one:

Waylay

Provision 7
Select a bronze Elf on your board, then select a bronze unit on the opponent’s board, force both units to duel.

Thinning/Tutoring

During the beta of Gwent the game has seen more and more tutors coming to the game, until it became so consistent most games played exactly the same, it was definitely an issue particularly with strong tutors like Pirate Captain, but Homecoming did a huge 180 by not only nuking most tutors, but also the three bronzes amongst other things, to the point where the lack of consistency can become an issue.

The current tutors we have, such as Alzur’s Double-Cross or Marching Orders are I feel a little bit overpriced, particularly since they can be quite unreliable. Because a lot of cards in Homecoming have a similar base strength, it means pulling the card you want is much harder, unless you really constrain your deck. But we also lack tutors in general, and because of the provision system but also the two bronzes limit, it means we can have bronze tutor because they’re far easier to balance. Summoning Circle could also be an interesting tutor, but is far too weak right now as its build up time is too slow, outside of a Demavend deck maybe, but even then it can be removed before it reaches any value.

Then we have thinning which is right now crucial for deck consistency as tutors are on the weaker side, and of course we have the Trio Witchers which brings both insane tempo but also deck utility through thinning, it’s simply too good to not be auto-included everywhere, unless you play a low mulligan leader where it's a risk of bricking, and it’s not exactly an issue regarding strength or provision cost, but more about their ability, and them being neutrals, because even if their provision and/or strength is nerfed they’d probably be still auto-include in most decks, and I don’t think decks should be that dependent on neutrals, particularly neutral units.

Underwhelming Cards and Missing Cards

Honestly for the short amount of time the developers had, I think they did for the most part a pretty good job, that being said in the current pool of cards we have some pretty much useless cards, some cards which are a bit of a missed opportunity, and some cards that were very interesting in the beta, and could work in Homecoming, but are missing.

I’m not going to list them all but cards like Siren, Venendal Elite, Dimun Pirate, False Ciri, Striga, or even the leader Adda (…) don’t really seem to have a purpose outside of straight value, but even their value is sometimes lacklustre. They should probably be looked at before more cards come to the game, because otherwise they’re never going to be played, or very rarely, and it’s just a shame to see their beautiful art wasted. It's also a shame that Adda doesn't interact with the Specter sort of archetype, which is already lacking in cards, and she's probably the most underwhelming leader out here. Here are two suggestions for a rework of Siren and Dimun Pirate Captain:

Siren

Strength 2, Provision 5.
Deploy: Trigger all Thrive effect on the board. Thrive.

Dimun Pirate

Strength 5, Provision 6
Deploy: Look at the two top cards in your deck, you may choose to leave them there, or move one in the graveyard. If you move one in your graveyard, damage self by 1.

We also have three special cards which do reset, Bekker’s Dark Mirror, Mandrake, and Artefact Compression, but only one is really good, which is Bekker’s Dark Mirror because it always reaches the most value and is more versatile, and here I don’t really understand why Artefact Compression or Mandrake couldn’t be similar to what they were in beta but adapted to Homecoming, here’d be an idea for a rework of those two:

Artifact Compression

Provision 7
Transform a non-boosted unit into a Jade Figurine. Ignores Immunity.
Jade Figurine: 1 Strength, Immune, Doomed, after three turns Transform back.

Mandrake

Provision 8
Choose between two. Reset a unit’s power, then Strengthen it by three, or Reset a unit’s power, then Weaken it by three.

Some cards are also kind of missed opportunities, for instance we’ve the rather interesting interaction between Unicorn/Chironex, but nothing of the sort for the two Ifrit or Vandergrift has a unique interaction with his blade, but not Vandergrift's Blade with his owner, so here again here’s a suggestion:

Enraged Ifrit

Strength 4, Provision 9.
Deploy: Damage an enemy by 4. If you have Colossal Ifrit on the board, double that amount.

Colossal Ifrit

Strength 4, Provision 10
Zeal. Order: Damage all units on the opposite row by 1. Cooldown: 3. As long as Enraged Ifrit is adjacent, reduce the Cooldown by 1.

Vandergrift's Blade

Provision 9
Whenever you play a Soldier on this row, boost it by 2. As long as Vandergrift is adjacent, gain Immune.

Similarly all of the weather effects are very underwhelming, they lost their attrition nature because they're limited in time (with the exception of RNR) and are just straight damage now, when they could play around some of the new mechanics. An idea I've seen a lot is giving Fog the following ability in addition to its damage: "Units on the row have -1 Reach", if something similar can be done for Rain and Frost, it'd make weather worthwhile and tactical cards. Moreover the game needs more units interacting with Frost, the Wild Hunt archetype being almost none-existent at this point, tribal doesn't even work because of the lack of cards, having Wild Hunt cards interacting with Frost would be interesting, just a +1 per turn as long as Frost in on the board, and of course those cards will need to be rebalanced. I guess it's also something that could be expanded further for Fog and Rain when Dagon will make his glorious return.

At last, I really miss some old designed cards such as Ciri: Dash, Wolfsbane, or Johnny amongst others, they were great cards and would work well in Homecoming, with good tweaking, and I’d like them to comeback one way or another.

Top Bottom