Forced Sharpening in 1.04?

+
Noticed this effect as soon as I entered the game after installing the 1.04 patch.

The sharpening (oddly enough) makes the textures (especially faces) look low res/worse, not better.
Old.png
New.png

Both screenshots were taken with 100% exactly the same in game + nvidia settings, the only difference is the patch.

PS: make sure to "Open image in new tab" to see the full resolution of the image (the effect isn't as noticeable on the smaller images on the post)

This has to either be removed or at least implement an option to turn it off plz.

Last edited:
Noticed it too. It's good to have an option to turn things like that in the game, but forcing it on everyone isn't very helpful.
I mean, the game use dithering and TAA to compensate that, which makes the game kinda blurry, but reflections are still look grainy, which is compensated by chromatic aberration, and now we have a sharpening filter on top of that lol.
I hope CDPR will include option to turn it off.

First thing i noticed after launching the 1.04... It's too much. In screenshots it may seem that it helps to enhance details but with the game in movement the effect is terrible. Allow us to tone it down or disable the option, and next time don't implement console "improvements" in the pc version, please

The game look was perfect in V 1.03. Make it optional ffs

More examples:

8xrqj1S.jpg

MjjuaNN.jpeg

Qsp3iRg.png

I'm having this exact same issue with the new update. When I woke up this morning it was the first thing I noticed. The new sharpening is atrocious and ruins the beauty of the game. It's always in my face and I can't play the game without being bothered by it. I've been 100% silient about my problems with cyberpunk, but this is an exception. This is a hotfix that has actually made the game WORSE , what's worse is that the patch notes didn't even acknowledge it happened. I have spent 4+ hours trying to find a solution through ini files/modding/etc, but wasn't able to solve the issue. If I could revert back to the 1.0.3 version, I would.

why someone would wanna see blurry! 1.04 image looks clear and better- otherwise it's like watching without spectacles
The game wasn't blurry for me. I've heard that it was horrible on some rigs and especially consoles. But now the game is both sharpened and unreadable. I see no reason why they can't make this an option for PC users.

why someone would wanna see blurry! 1.04 image looks clear and better- otherwise it's like watching without spectacles
The problem is having no option to disable it.
As I mentioned earlier, that blurry effect is caused by TAA antialiasing, which is mandatory to counteract rendering methods this game uses.
By using sharpening filters on top of that blurriness you don't make internal graphics crisper, you just turn that blurry mess into deep fried blurry mess.
Filters like sharpening are sometimes good, but anyone can enable it optionally, just not in that case.

First thing i noticed after launching the 1.04... It's too much. In screenshots it may seem that it helps to enhance details but with the game in movement the effect is terrible. Allow us to tone it down or disable the option, and next time don't implement console "improvements" in the pc version, please

The game look was perfect in V 1.03. Make it optional ffs

More examples:

View attachment 11079962
View attachment 11079965

View attachment 11079968

I agree with this post 10000000%

I have had the same issue after 1.04 on my wifes PC,3600x,Asus x570 TUF motherboard, 2x16gb 3200 ram,Adata 8200 NVME 512Gb ssd,RTX 2080Super evga FTW3 Ultra,no overclocks,nvidia 460.7x and Win 10 x64 1903
If....if, she can get in,as post 1.03 the game crashes every few minutes,after the 1.04 Hotfix. With 103 should could play for 40 to 60 minutes before it would 'FLATLINE' ,she is past the intro and is in the main game after 9 hours of mostly bug free gaming. I am on my own PC with faster hardware still In the Prologue with lots of little bugs and visual anomalies. :( 5600x,x570 TUF,2x32Gb,evga 3080 xc3 ,2Tb Adata 8200

As I said in my first post: "In screenshots it may seem that it helps to enhance details but with the game in movement the effect is terrible "

The game was not blurry before. At least not in PC.

Now is garbage sharp. not the good type of sharpness. Just a mess that looks more like a reshade filter from 5 years ago. @AltenLumos explained the interaction with TAA very well.

Playing the game at 1440p feels like playing at 1080p upscaled with sharpness on top. It's a strange effect that shouldn't be mandatory. Just that

As some of you the other guys said before, just make it optional

It's not that we want the game it self to be blurry, if that was all it was, one could easily add effects like gaussian blur trough reshade or something like that.

The main issue here is that the texture quality is worse in 1.04 do to this sharpening filter that they added.

If you look at the picture that pablaud posted, the left side (of the picture) looks smooth, while the right side, although it gives a general appearance of being "crispier" there is actually less detail in the skin and the detail that we can see is blurry, not sharp.

Just look at the freckles, they do not look sharp, they look blurry/low quality in 1.04, it almost looks as if the in game quality of the textures has been lowered, even though the texture setting is on high.

Look at things like the eyes, or the stub of the mustache and beard, on the left side (of the picture) it looks realistic/organic, while on the right side it looks like something out out of a PS3 game almost.

Now, if you prefer the 1.04 look, that's all good, but there should be an option to turn this filter off so that the game looks as it did in 1.03 for those that prefer it that way.

Please let us turn this off. I noticed it right away when updating and it looks terrible. It absolutely ruins scenes with lots of blue lights and it makes the entire game look much less realistic. Anyone who wants the game to have this gross "sharpening" filter can do so with nvidia or reshade. To force this on us and not even give us a setting or slider to turn it off is awful. Almost every other videogame that implements sharpening gives you a slider to turn it down or off completely.

My new post:

A lot of us already thinking redownload and play old 1.03 version

Do you know any way to downgrade my steam version? I downloaded the 1.03 from other sources but i would like to play my legally paid copy... Not with this console oriented patch applied tho

Noticed this effect as soon as I entered the game after installing the 1.04 patch.

The sharpening (oddly enough) makes the textures (especially faces) look low res/worse, not better.View attachment 11078957View attachment 11078960

Both screenshots were taken with 100% exactly the same in game + nvidia settings, the only difference is the patch.

PS: make sure to "Open image in new tab" to see the full resolution of the image (the effect isn't as noticeable on the smaller images on the post)

This has to either be removed or at least implement an option to turn it off plz.
Was wondering why the blemishes on everyone's faces, especially Jackie's were so pronounced and noticeable after the patch. Thought I might have enabled some kind of sharpening by accident.

I posted this in @ysssgdhr thread but i'll leave it here too
I'm afraid this will get buried and we'll have to play with this shit enabled or just stick with the 1.03 version of the game

An image will explain it better than a few words:

Check the slider linked below:

chrome_VsdKXsDn9V.png

Just look at the skin, the shirt, the numbers on the badge or some of the background details on the top.

Another example:
chrome_vUpirUc3bU.png

Both images taken with the same settings: 1440p maxed out, no DLSS, no RTX, no grain, no lens flare, no MB

Settings:
Settings (1).pngSettings (2).pngSettings (3).png

Last edited:
Looks like it, it definitely looks better to me but it needs to be adjustable beyond on and off, a slider would be ideal. Different screens and resolutions will benefit from different settings. Personally, I'm adding even more sharpening through the Nvidia settings as I had to drop the resolution scale But I think the game should have its own solution as it's a problem created by the TAA (and running below native res) that also can't be turned off presumably because it's too embedded and will affect some effects too much.

Last edited:
Different screens and resolutions will benefit from different settings.
Yeah, totally. It's the same with any form of antialiasing, higher resolutions don't really need AA that much, same goes for sharpening filters, I don't need to sharpen anything, because I run this game at native 1080p.
My guess is that it was meant for consoles with heavy resolution scaling drops.

Top Bottom