Game and Visual Design Ideas - Trimming Gwent #1: Coins

+
Game and Visual Design Ideas - Trimming Gwent #1: Coins

I've a bunch of suggestions, that I'm going to share over a series of posts. The community's feedback is important, so you all are encouraged to reply. Not sure what CDPR has in mind for Gwent, and how much of it are they still willing or planning to change, but this is what I think and how I would've made Gwent.

I've been playing the game for almost 6 months now, and the game is visually inconsistent (as in different sections of the game, like main menu, look way different or even better than certain others), apparently because it's still an unfinished product. And one of the most ugliest things in Gwent, in my opinion, is the coin. We've so many different currencies in the Witcher (orens, florens and crowns), and a couple others which weren't in the game, so it makes less sense why we're stuck with a plastic-looking coin, which although serves its purpose well, gives the game an unrealistic feel, even disconnecting it from the franchise.

And since the Witcher universe has multiple currencies, another advantage of doing this would be that these coins could be used as an alternative collectible, much like avatars, since Gwent is ultimately a collectible game. Moreover, players could choose the coin of their favourite faction (in the Trinkets section) to show their support. Monster faction could have no coin, carved stones, or Wild Hunt coins.

From my understanding, the coin in the game is just for visual representation, and has nothing to do in deciding which player will play first. Still, there're a couple things I haven't been able to figure out. For example, if there were multiple coins in the game, which coin would be shown to both players if they've different coins selected? I guess it could be selected alternately (my coin would be shown every other turn), or randomly. Similarly, heads or tails could be asked for alternately, or randomly, I suppose.

This will give the game a little bit more authentic feeling, if done the right way. The aim of the game should be to make us feel like characters from within the game (the Witcher game), at least for the time the actual card game is in play.

What do you guys think? Try to be constructive, and 'REDpoint' to show support. Thanks!

G4merY;n10436682 said:
For example, if there were multiple coins in the game, which coin would be shown to both players if they've different coins selected?
Your side of the coin would show your custom coin, and your opponent's coin would show your opponent's custom coin.

This isn't a bad idea at all. To make the coin look less plastic, it coud just use some better shading light refraction to make it look more metallic.

DannyGuy;n10442232 said:
Your side of the coin would show your custom coin, and your opponent's coin would show your opponent's custom coin.

This isn't a bad idea at all. To make the coin look less plastic, it coud just use some better shading light refraction to make it look more metallic.

Thanks. And what you said is another option. The only two limitations, in my opinion, with it being: you might eventually get bored seeing your own coin over n' over again. If either player only sees their own coin, it can't be used as a tool to show support or your taste or preference to the other player. But that isn't essentially necessary.

The fact that both players don't see the exact same board (every player has blue side) is arguably a flawed design, unless a placeholder. I'll talk about this in the next post. Thanks for your support.

G4merY;n10445892 said:
Thanks. And what you said is another option. The only two limitations, in my opinion, with it being: you might eventually get bored seeing your own coin over n' over again. If either player only sees their own coin, it can't be used as a tool to show support or your taste or preference to the other player. But that isn't essentially necessary.

No, I think you misunderstood what I meant. I might have phrased it incorrectly. What I meant was that when it's your opponent's turn, your opponent's coin would be shown, and when it's your turn, your own coin would be shown.

DannyGuy;n10446252 said:
What I meant was that when it's your opponent's turn, your opponent's coin would be shown, and when it's your turn, your own coin would be shown.

Ah...okay. Though this might again be a bit unrealistic if the same coin changes face with each turn. And it wouldn't change at all if both players have the same coin selected. This is true for every case, however. Maybe the player who connects first, whose name would be shown above in the title vs. screen (could be selected randomly), his coin could be selected for play. This makes much sense, although they might've to make a small tutorial or video to explain this.

I'm just trying to get every possible idea on the topic. Ultimately, it's for CDPR to decide, if it all. Specially since they've firsthand knowledge regarding the working of the game. But the forums can be a place to help them with the brainstorming part, since they do not share what they've in mind (which is fine). So, thanks for your idea.

Top Bottom