Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

+

Game Journalism - Unfit for purpose?

• Total voters
If I could mod this in as her online alternate outfit, I'd totally buy the game.

Last edited:
Gaider is a pathetic schill to join this dev. He actually has talent too, which is all the more depressing. But whatever. Chalk it up as a case of agenda over art, and I hope he's happy there, peddling politics rather than making games.

@Damariel Well, that's one way to kill your company...

Ironically, you actually have to own a game on Steam to write a review. So even if people are buying it just to slam it, you're still making a profit.

On another subject, did anyone see that fanmade Trump ad that got DMCA'd by EA? It's pretty funny...
http://www.realclearpolitics.com/vi...atic_the_trump_effect_parody_campaign_ad.html

edit: I know it's not technically about video-game journalism, but COME ON!

Could someone give a quick explanation for what's going on with the whole Baldurs Gate affair?
I've been a bit out of touch this last month.

Aha, well that's unfortunate, seems it getting more and more common :/

Not that everyone will take it.... as BG fans are showing right now. And Beamdog started playing victims here for profit since original fanbase "harassed" them for being fake/shitty writers. You want to put jokes about GG? sure why not, you want trans person in your game? fine (not really probable in this universe but no one said it's impossible) ... But when you change existing character to make her fit your stupid agenda (And yes I won't apologise for calling it stupid as I should use more harsh word to describe it) then you should know that you crossed one line too many.

Also that's just complains about story/writing/characters .... no one mentions problems with the game itself. And I admit that I was intrested in this DLC two/three days ago.... I'm not right now.

Last edited:
Not that everyone will take it.... as BG fans are showing right now.And Beamdog started playing victims here for profit since original fanbase "harassed" them for being fake/shitty writers. You want to put jokes about GG? sure why not, you want trans person in your game? fine (not really probable in this universe but no one said it's impossible) ... But when you change existing character to make her fit your stupid agenda (And yes I won't apologise for calling it stupid as I should use more harsh word to describe it) then you should know that you crossed one line too many.

Also that's just complains about story/writing/characters .... no one mentions problems with the game itself. And I admit that I was intrested in this DLC two/three days ago.... I'm not right now.

Fucking hell :eredinfacepalm:

Last edited:
The top-rated reviews in Steam seem to be about the game problems, it definitely feels more as though there's an agenda to claim that the complaints are "political" rather than acknowledge the game's other problems. Reminds me of the early days of the ME3 launch, when Bioware/EA were doing something similar, and the press was blindly accepting it as true rather than looking for themselves.

The top-rated reviews in Steam seem to be about the game problems, it definitely feels more as though there's an agenda to claim that the complaints are "political" rather than acknowledge the game's other problems. Reminds me of the early days of the ME3 launch, when Bioware/EA were doing something similar, and the press was blindly accepting it as true rather than looking for themselves.

Well, as was stated before by @Garrison72 David Gaider is working there.

(Straight from his wiki page)

On 22 January 2016 Gaider left Bioware after 17 years in the company. In February 2016, he joined Beamdog as a creative director.

And is it any wonder that Nathan Grayson was making the interview with them?!

Last edited:
@Damariel

I doubt that David Gaider had much of a role in the creation of this latest Baldur's Gate expansion. He just joined the company. What possible creative input could he have had when the game was released a few weeks later?

I generally like his characters, even the ones that are clearly part of an "agenda." Dorian was a smart ass and well-written, and even the one transexual character in DA:I didn't come across that heavy-handed. If the reports of this game's shortcomings are true, I would chalk it up more to Amber Scott, simply because it doesn't seem like Gaider's style.

I doubt that David Gaider had much of a role in the creation of this latest Baldur's Gate expansion. He just joined the company. What possible creative input could he have had when the game was released a few weeks later?

I generally like his characters, even the ones that are clearly part of an "agenda." Dorian was a smart ass and well-written, and even the one transexual character in DA:I didn't come across that heavy-handed. If the reports of this game's shortcomings are true, I would chalk it up more to Amber Scott, simply because it doesn't seem like Gaider's style.

Nah I don't say Gaider was fully responsible what was in the game... but reaction to criticism seems similar to Bioware/EA reaction form few years back as was mentioned before. And I have few bad memories about Gaider from BSN part of my past so I might be a bit biased about him being there, but let's not sugarcoat him too much as well, he works there as creative director after all. What impact he had for this DLC characters and storyline? probably small but I won't say that he didn't had any impact.

Last edited:
What I find most disturbing about this whole Baldur's Gate controversy is Trent Oster's response. This is what he had to say on the company's forum:

Hi everyone. I usually spend most of my time lurking here, but I'd like to ask a favour. It appears that having a transgendered cleric and a joke line by Minsc has greatly offended the sensibilities of some people. This has spurred these people into action, causing them to decide this is the worst game of all time and give it a zero review score on Steam, GoG and meta critic. Now, I'd like to ask for that favour. If you are playing the game and having a good time, please consider posting a positive review to balance out the loud minority which is currently painting a dark picture for new players.

That's a pretty bizarre move on the part of the developer, requesting that fans post positive reviews on social media and other sites in order to compensate for negativity in the marketplace. Nowhere in his post does he acknowledge that some consumers might also have legitimate criticisms that are unrelated to the writing or these specific characters.

Top Bottom