Given how forthcoming CDp guys are about most things, the fact that no one talks about this issue is bizzare.

+
Given how forthcoming CDp guys are about most things, the fact that no one talks about this issue is bizzare.

I love CDP, I do and I love Witcher 3, but how come no one has acknowledged the severe pop in issues that is plaguing this game? Npcs and bandits literally pop into existence right in front of geralt, shadows appear and disappear, beards and hair fade in and fade out. Incredible low res npcs that spawn nearly 2 feet away. Six patches and no one has even hinted that these issues are being worked on.

Can someone from CDP please say why no one has made any mention of this. I mean, you guys play the game as you develop it, so how is it that a serious issue like this got past QA?

Well the one thing that is really irritating about this is that Marcin will reply to most questions about different things, but will remain silent as soon as someone talks about the lod/pop-in issues . I mean, Marcin is a really cool guy, and you know what, he doesn't owe anyone answers but it doesn't change the fact that he's avoiding the topic. That's kinda sad really, and slowly erodes confidence in the CDP mantra.

I remember the gametrailers interview with Damien Monnier and at one point he says that a good amount of the developers do read the forums. I'm going to assume that the engine programmers do as well. So how is it that a "Next generation" engine is having issues like this on superior hardware? Boggles my mind

Edit: I edited the post to correct some inconsistent info

Last edited:
Well it's not like nobody has mentioned this, in-fact it has been mentioned tons of times in different threads.

So perhaps they might not have directly acknowledged it, but the Devs are always reading, always paying attention to forum comments. I know even I have commented on the issue, and at the moment everyone is just waiting for the 1.07 patch to drop, and we'll see if that fixes said issues. If 1.07 doesn't fix the issue/s, then we'll have to kick up a new thread and try to re-address the problem again, try and give it some more visibility. But for now, there's a big patch coming, so let's see what that does.

Also as a side note, I'm convinced the notion of pop-in & LOD being better in the earlier patches is pure placebo. I actually went and installed a second copy of the game that was only at patch 1.03, and compared to 1.05 there was absolutely no difference, both had all the same egregious LOD & Pop-in problems.

Edit: Ha, Olek actually started a new thread about this in the Suggestions page yesterday. So its definitely been mentioned recently.

Last edited:
This can be fixed pretty easily by increasing some of the memory allocations in these locations:

C:\user\documents\witcher3\user.settings file (increase the memory budget from 800 to a higher total here depending on how much free Vram you have available to play with).

I personally doubled mine to 1600 and since then, no more texture pop in issues.

This can be fixed pretty easily by increasing some of the memory allocations in these locations:

C:\user\documents\witcher3\user.settings file (increase the memory budget from 800 to a higher total here depending on how much free Vram you have available to play with).

I personally doubled mine to 1600 and since then, no more texture pop in issues.

Please STOP spreading these false notions. You CANNOT increase LOD above ultra by settings, nor you can reduce NPC pop-ins by settings. The only thing your "changes" do is to stream more textures in VRAM but it does absolutely nothing at all to remove pop-ins of NPCs or LOD and if you think so you are deluded, I'm sorry to tell you.

There are some changes you can do to reduce shadows pop-ins, or increase distance vegetation but NOTHING (and I repeat NOTHING) you can do to increase the abysmal LOD in the game or remove the NPC pop-ins issues the engine has.

Modifying this setting is definitely at your own risk. I cannot figure out exactly how it works, but I can confirm a few things:

1.) It does not affect pop-in directly at all. Indirectly, it may allow for more resources to be used more quickly, which can improve things. Pop-in WILL still occur, however. Just a bit less often or a bit further away.

2.) This creates instability on a lot of different setups -- especially lower end rigs that do not have a lot of VRAM available. Worst-case scenarios have been permanently corrupted saves. Higher-end rigs can apparently take it, but results vary greatly from rig to rig.

3.) NPC pop-in is caused by inefficient threading, which will very likely be ironed out in 1.07. (It wasn't that much of an issue until 1.06.)

Modifying this setting is definitely at your own risk. I cannot figure out exactly how it works

It simply streams more textures in VRAM, nothing more and nothing less. It can be a good thing to alleviate stutter more than anything else, if you have the VRAM for it.

Yeah, if indeed this issue was present upon launch day, it's so weird that no reviewer brought this up. It's really immersion breaking when hair starts to appear and fade out during cut-scenes.

Theres one simple reason why the devs have been so quiet about LOD and popin - because of parity. Somewhen, somehow, somebody decided that PC graphics while being substantially more capable than consoles could *not under any circumstances* look significantly better than consoles. I mean god forbid more powerful hardware can use much better engine features right? Unfortunately thats the state of things currently and they have been that way ever since consoles started trying to play the role of a poor mans PC.

I don't have this issue for some reason. I get the occasional armor/clothing pop in on my player or an npc during a cut scene, but its rare and not that bad.

Well the one thing that is really irritating about this is that Marcin will reply to most questions about such, but will remain silent as soon as someone talks about the pop-in issues. I mean, Marcin is a really cool guy, and you know what, he doesn't owe anyone answers but it doesn't change the fact that he's avoiding the topic.

Last edited:
Theres one simple reason why the devs have been so quiet about LOD and popin - because of parity. Somewhen, somehow, somebody decided that PC graphics while being substantially more capable than consoles could *not under any circumstances* look significantly better than consoles. I mean god forbid more powerful hardware can use much better engine features right? Unfortunately thats the state of things currently and they have been that way ever since consoles started trying to play the role of a poor mans PC.

Bingo.

Sad state of affairs and it gets people riled up.

But it's the truth...

They already know about it. I mean come on, you can't even think it possible that they don't know or haven't noticed.

They A) Can't do anything about it(because of the engine/technology behind the game) B) Are not allowed to do anything about it (Because M$ and Sony).

It's as simple as that. And to both of these CDPR can't comment.

Somewhat true, to an extent, but I think it's more of a side effect when trying to code for multiple platforms simultaneously. The way hardware calls work is different on consoles. You can't really have base code totally different for different platforms, that would require writing the game from the bottom-up at least twice. In an ideal world, that would be the way to do it, but the production values for Wild Hunt were already astronomical. I think it runs pretty brilliantly as it is. Although, the NPC and hair pop-in is very distracting. Hopefully tweaks will be on the way.

It's a sight better than the money-grubbing fraudulence that was Batman: Arkham Knight's release state.

Top Bottom