GPU not being utilized in certain Witcher 3 locations?

+
Hello folks

Weirdest thing. I'm playing Witcher 3 with high stable fps until I fast travelled to Velen for the first time and the fps is like 10?! doesn't matter if low or ultra graphics settings, it's just 10~11 fps.

So I check my gpu usage and its like 40~50%. Even the CPU isn't being utilized. All GPU and CPU temps at ~60c. I go to another location (White Orchads) and the fps is stable again and the gpu is at 100% as it should be. Go back to Velen, fps is back at 10.

here is the GPU monitoring -> The usage is marked in both locations. You can see that at Velen the GPU is not being utilized and that's where fps is low. I go back to White Orchard and its back to normal.

Specs: GTX 1070, i7 6700, 16gb RAM (alienware laptop, never had performance or temp issues)

Updated all drivers. tried DDU. Power settings is at high. GPU performance is high in Nvidia control panel and optimized for Witcher 3 in program settings. Played around with graphics and processing settings and nothing changed.

I can't wrap my head around what could be causing this issue. I'm using photorealistic reshade btw.

Any help would be appreciated.

FIXED!: If anyone runs into this sorta thing, my problem was a mod called True Fires. Removed it and all was well again.

Specifically, the problem was with the dlc hdworks partch which explains why the problem started in Velen. It's when the DLC is loaded. You even get the DLC (thank you for your purchase) prompt when you first head into Velen.

Thank you all for the suggestions.

Attachments

• witcher 3 msi monitor gpu.png
    witcher 3 msi monitor gpu.png
    38.9 KB · Views: 67
Last edited:
The fact that you are using a mod makes it a bit trickier. It might be causing the problem.

In general, I‘d disable all overlay features (even the Steam, GOG and Nvidia overlay).

If some of your hardware is overclocked that might be causing issues like that too.

Using the newest gpu drivers isn‘t always ideal for performance, since the game is already a couple of years old and not all gpu driver versions are ideal for the game. Using older drivers might help.

There are a few fps threads to be found here in the technical section, like this one:
(might be a good idea to check some of them out).

But again, due to the mod it‘s difficult to be sure what’s causing the problem.

The fact that you are using a mod makes it a bit trickier. It might be causing the problem.

In general, I‘d disable all overlay features (even the Steam, GOG and Nvidia overlay).

If some of your hardware is overclocked that might be causing issues like that too.

Using the newest gpu drivers isn‘t always ideal for performance, since the game is already a couple of years old and not all gpu driver versions are ideal for the game. Using older drivers might help.

There are a few fps threads to be found here in the technical section, like this one:
(might be a good idea to check some of them out).

But again, due to the mod it‘s difficult to be sure what’s causing the problem.
I managed to uninstall the reshader and the handful of mods I had one by one and the problem still persists so at least now I know it's nothing to do with them.

Nvidia ansel and overlay is disabled as well.

Thanks for providing the link but looking through the posts, they're not similar to my issue. I tried everything there but still nothing changed.

Top Bottom