Gwent and eSports

+
Gwent and eSports

I know this was discussed already in previous threads (http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/103221-A-question-to-CDPR-regarding-e-sports and http://forums.cdprojektred.com/thre...-Games?p=2681791&highlight=esport#post2681791) but I'd like to reopen the discussion.

I talked to a manager/talent acquisition of major eSprot organization and apparently they have Gwent on their radar after E3 and want to get into it from the get-go. It would seem that they regret not acquiring any Hearthstone representatives early on and want to take their chances with Gwent from the very start. Anyhow, this bodes well for the game's competitive scene if significant organizations (I can't reveal the name of the org, sorry) are taking an interest so early on.

The question is how will CDPR handle things from their side, as far as I know they don't have an awful lot of experience in that department. They should seriously consider hiring an eSport manager. I know it might seem preemptive, at least from their standpoint but I think it might pay off, even if Gwent isn't as successful. In the end though, noone can know if the game will gain popularity on video platforms such as twitch, youtube, hitbox etc. The risk might be worth it tho. I mean, in the end what do they stand to lose as a company? They don't have to invest an awful lot at start. CDPR, approach things slowly but do SOMETHING. Do not repeat the mistakes of other companies that chose to neglect that aspect of their products and missed a huge opportunity.

Last edited:
I totally agree with this post. I would love for Gwent to be a factor in the E-sports scene. I think it will take hold on Twitch as it really has a great "watch" factor. Count me in for whatever can help this grow. I will throw my support 100%

I totally agree with this post. I would love for Gwent to be a factor in the E-sports scene. I think it will take hold on Twitch as it really has a great "watch" factor. Count me in for whatever can help this grow. I will throw my support 100%

Well, it is completely up to CDPR, not much we can do tbh. They can handle things in two different ways;

a) either take a risk-free approach and just see how the game is received, letting players handle things on their own and develop the competitive scene at start.

b) take matters into their own hands and hire an actual eSport manager that will start developing a long term plan early on.

In my opinion the latter approach is much better even if the investment doesn't pay off.

I truly believe when people see the ease of play, mixed with the strategy, makes this game the BEST CCG on the market. I fell in love at first play, and my affection has only grown.
Maybe we should form teams? Just a idea...

Form teams? What do you mean? That won't change a thing, besides Gwent is not a team based game.

The main point of this post is to find out whether CDPR is taking any steps to ensure they know how to invest into the game's eSport scene if it becomes popular. If that is not the case then hopefully this post will act as a wake up call of sorts, to some extent at least. If they adapt a more neglect approach it might backfire on them causing the spike in popularity to be much smaller than it could've been.

Last edited:
I hope it's balanced enough for eSports. I honestly wouldn't mind if the game could be taken to that level.

We already have plans for e-sport and how to support it - I'm one of the people responsible for that effort on our end.
There is a lot happening in this dept on our end but ultimately we just want to be ready IF Gwent would evolve in that direction.

We already have plans for e-sport and how to support it - I'm one of the people responsible for that effort on our end.
There is a lot happening in this dept on our end but ultimately we just want to be ready IF Gwent would evolve in that direction.

I truly believe that it will. I will do all I can on a small level to get the word out there, and keep involved in the community. The CCG field is growing after hearthstone exploded, but this game stand alone in terms of game play.
I really like our community we are growing here, and I thank CDPR for their support and time.

Cheers.

Will the game client have Live Spectating and Replays features? Those are vital features that will help the game grow even in the close beta stage.

Will the game client have Live Spectating and Replays features? Those are vital features that will help the game grow even in the close beta stage.

For now there is no spectator mode planed for the closed beta - we are focusing on the core of the gameplay and visuals - what happens next time will tell :)

I just lived through a favorite CCG of mine slowly die without the little details that make Hearthstone so strong. Watching others play is so key, and for a reason you might not expect. I tried to run and shout cast my own tournament in this CCG. Had a lot of people excited to play, but there was no view feature..so no way to showcase the game. Also, no monthly rankings and little rewards like card backs. There are a lot of little things that make a successful CCG now, and I have NO doubt CDPR is all over them!! That is why I am sooo excited about the future of this game.

For now there is no spectator mode planed for the closed beta - we are focusing on the core of the gameplay and visuals - what happens next time will tell

I just lived through a favorite CCG of mine slowly die without the little details that make Hearthstone so strong. Watching others play is so key, and for a reason you might not expect. I tried to run and shout cast my own tournament in this CCG. Had a lot of people excited to play, but there was no view feature..so no way to showcase the game. Also, no monthly rankings and little rewards like card backs. There are a lot of little things that make a successful CCG now, and I have NO doubt CDPR is all over them!! That is why I am sooo excited about the future of this game.

We know this very well - it is just not possible to have it ready this early. We have to pick our battles.

Oh, I wasn't complaining! I just wanted to throw my support behind eventually adding the feature. I understand the purpose of the Closed Beta, and I know great things are in the pipeline!

We know this very well - it is just not possible to have it ready this early. We have to pick our battles.

Top Bottom