HoS interaction with the main game [HoS Spoilers]

+
HoS interaction with the main game [HoS Spoilers]

While HoS is a standalone expansion it does interact with the main game at several points, I will try to list them all. Feel free to suggest corrections or additional information.

Dead Man's Party

The conversation with Shani would change slightly if Radovid is dead.

Open Sesame!

If you speak to Countess Mignole before the "The Battle of Kaer Morhen" Geralt will say that Vesemir still going strong, later you can talk to him about the countess before the battle, otherwise Geralt will notify her of Vesemir death.

When you speak to Ewald Borsodi at his hideout he will mention Hans of Cidaris, if you took contract on the Griffin in "Creature from Oxenfurt Forest" Geralt will comment that he knew him, later if you choose to free Quinto Hans will be in a sour mood if you discover the original contract and manage to get the full price for slaying the Griffin for him.

Whatsoever a Man Soweth…

If you choose to side with Gaunter O'Dimm and you didn't rescue Ciri from the Isle of Mists you could try to ask him for Ciri location, he will then give you hints on how to achieve the Witcheress ending.

Miscellaneous

You could speak with Ciri, Triss and Yennefer once you arrive to Novigrad about the brand Gaunter O'Dimm gave you.

While HoS is a standalone expansion it does interact with the main game at several points, I will try to list them all. Feel free to suggest corrections or additional information.

Dead Man's Party

The conversation with Shani would change slightly if Radovid is dead.

Open Sesame!

If you speak to Countess Mignole before the "The Battle of Kaer Morhen" Geralt will say that Vesemir still going strong, later you can talk to him about the countess before the battle, otherwise Geralt will notify her of Vesemir death.

When you speak to Ewald Borsodi at his hideout he will mention Hans of Cidaris, if you took contract on the Griffin in "Creature from Oxenfurt Forest" Geralt will comment that he knew him, later if you choose to free Quinto Hans will be in a sour mood if you discover the original contract and manage to get the full price for slaying the Griffin for him.

Whatsoever a Man Soweth…

If you choose to side with Gaunter O'Dimm and you didn't rescue Ciri from the Isle of Mists you could try to ask him for Ciri location, he will then give you hints on how to achieve the Witcheress ending.

Miscellaneous

You could speak with Ciri, Triss and Yennefer once you arrive to Novigrad about the brand Gaunter O'Dimm gave you.

The thing with "Whatsoever a Man Soweth"

Is pretty interesting and also surprising to be honest. Because at first when he tells you about the Hints on the Witcheress ending, you basically have no clue about what he is talking^^

The thing with "Whatsoever a Man Soweth"

Is pretty interesting and also surprising to be honest. Because at first when he tells you about the Hints on the Witcheress ending, you basically have no clue about what he is talking^^

Obviously, but it easily become pretty clear when you reach those parts in the main game.

Are the hints specifically for the witcheress ending, or only to avoid the bad ending ? Here is what Gaunter O'Dimm says:
Geralt: You know who Ciri is, so you know how much she means to me. Of course I want to keep her from any danger.
Mirror: Then there's a few things you must remember.
Mirror: There will come a time when she will come to you defeated, resigned. Find a way to make her laugh.
Mirror: There will come a time when one will betray her. Let her vent her rage.
Mirror: There will come a time when she will grieve for a friend. Grieve with her.
Mirror: There will come a time when fear will engulf her. Instill courage in her, but do not act in her stead.
Mirror: And never, ever let her feel as if you've sold her out.
To me, the last hint seems to be about not accepting the payment from Emhyr, rather than not bringing Ciri to the emperor at all.

Are the hints specifically for the witcheress ending, or only to avoid the bad ending ? Here is what Gaunter O'Dimm says:
Geralt: You know who Ciri is, so you know how much she means to me. Of course I want to keep her from any danger.
Mirror: Then there's a few things you must remember.
Mirror: There will come a time when she will come to you defeated, resigned. Find a way to make her laugh.
Mirror: There will come a time when one will betray her. Let her vent her rage.
Mirror: There will come a time when she will grieve for a friend. Grieve with her.
Mirror: There will come a time when fear will engulf her. Instill courage in her, but do not act in her stead.
Mirror: And never, ever let her feel as if you've sold her out.
To me, the last hint seems to be about not accepting the payment from Emhyr, rather than not bringing Ciri to the emperor at all.

I agree, but if Ciri goes to Vizima to meet her father that doesn't mean you necessary get the empress ending.

And it definitely hints the witcheress ending, as following them would lead to this ending.

I agree, but if Ciri goes to Vizima to meet her father that doesn't mean you necessary get the empress ending.

And it definitely hints the witcheress ending, as following them would lead to this ending.

I do not think there is a hint regarding the choices that determine whether she will be empress or witcher, unless the last line is interpreted as not bringing her to Emhyr (but "sold her out" seems more likely to be about the payment). So, following the hints could lead to either ending, it just avoids the worst one.

By the way, I found a couple more possible dialogues that might be affected by the main game: in the heist quest when you play Gwent with Vimme Vivaldi and Hilbert, there are a few lines for the case when the High Stakes Gwent quest is already completed, and at the end of Hearts of Stone, Shani again has a couple of additional lines if Radovid is still alive.

why do you think so?
I did everything o'dim mentioned (well, obviously did main quest before hos) yet got empress
2 simple reasons why Ciri would not end up as empress even if you sneakily talked her into visiting her "Papa" Emhyr:

1.) because Radovid won the war
2.) because Dijkstra won the war

In both cases, "Papa" Emhyr dies. Which is lovely. (Goodness, I hate this incest-seeking scumbag with his world domination intentions.)

And then, Ciri will not be empress.

She will be witcheress instead. And there will much rejoicing.

You, however, got your faithful Roach stolen away and replaced with that ugly black Nilf mare, as "reward" for your faithful service to the evil overlord.

Last edited:
2 simple reasons why Ciri would not end up as empress even if you sneakily talked her into visiting her "Papa" Emhyr:

In both cases, "Papa" Emhyr dies. Which is lovely. (Goodness, I hate this incest-seeking scumbag with his world domination intentions.)

You, however, got your faithful Roach stolen away and replaced with that ugly black Nilf mare, as "reward" for your faithful service to the evil overlord.

euh...not worth it imo
Emhyr is the best option out of all those 3
Radovid is a madman, will burn Triss & Yen. You cant let that happen
Djikstra, should he rule, he will rule like Stalin did. That is not good either

And also, Ciri being empress does good for the continent than just being a lonely witcheress.

Yeah, an imperialistic pig like Emhyr is surely the best option. Slavery and resettlement programs are great and all that.

Not for me.

What? If I take Ciri to see Emhyr, they take Roach away from me? I wanted to play for "Ciri empress" ending in my second playthrough but if that means that I don't have Roach, this is not an option. But I like the possibility of Emhyr dying. I'll try to achieve that. Never liked the guy *yuck*

You get another Roach. A black, pure Nilfgaardian breeding stock.

And since you can only have one Roach at any time, that means that the original brown Roach is probably turned into a bunch of delicious horse sandwiches.

But, @Jehane, you can get the Empress ending anyway. Just add the "and then he got gold and a fabulous IOU for the delivery of Ciri to that scumbag" to the feeling of general scumbaggery that you already should get for convincing Ciri that she needs to go to Vizima in the first place. One "false decision" doesn't screw it all up. Just watch out that you don't make any other "false decisions".

Last edited:

I never took Ciri to Emhyr (when it came up, I thought there would be a chance to do it later), so if you do:

In Blood and Wine
does having the Nilfgaardian Mare change Equine Phantoms at all?

You get another Roach. A black, pure Nilfgaardian breeding stock.

And since you can only have one Roach at any time, that means that the original brown Roach is probably turned into a bunch of delicious horse sandwiches.
I don't like that. Not at all. Roach is brown. Always has been. Who wants a black Roach? *pfff* Screw the Empress ending. I'll try to get Emhyr killed instead, with Radovid taking over. Or Dijkstra. Or probably, when the time comes, I won't be able to make bad decisions for Ciri and go for the Witcheress ending again, with Radovid and Dijkstra being dead. We'll see :)

---------- Updated at 12:36 PM ----------

That cracks me up! Is horsemeat sandwich that common?:lol:
In Vienna, you get horsemeat at special butcher stores - they turn it into sausages and stuff. My husband and father-in-law love it (as do most of my friends) but I've never even tried. I just like horses way too much to eat them :)

In Blood and Wine
does having the Nilfgaardian Mare change Equine Phantoms at all?
I suppose you'll do this quest with the black mare instead, same voice, same lines.

Ehhh... I'm not the one who's going to test that.

Top Bottom