Question regarding Whoreson Junior and the Phylactery (possible spoilers)

+

Throughout the progression of the search for Ciri in The Witcher 3, we eventually are led to Novigrad,
where we learn she's crossed Whoreson Jr. in some way.

After investigating some more, we eventually... meet him and he claims that he struck a deal with Ciri and Dandelion
that he'll fix the Phylactery they give him with the aid of a "guy he knows", in exchange for them getting "Sigi"'s treasure for him.
(Dudu is left wth him as a ward of guarantee)

Honestly, I do find this particular part of the story of the game to be downright bizarre.
Whoreson Junior KNOWS SOMEONE who has the capacity to repair a magic-bound item? o_O

Just... who? :O

Could be it was one of Radovid's mages? Seeing that Cyprian was in contact with His Majesty after all...
(more like... used as a TOOL but... :D)

More likely explanation is he never intended to fix it and would have just screwed them over after they got Sigi's's treasure for him .... He is a complete and utter degenerate weasel after all ..... He probably planned on just turning them over to the witch hunters

More likely explanation is he never intended to fix it and would have just screwed them over after they got Sigi's's treasure for him .... He is a complete and utter degenerate weasel after all ..... He probably planned on just turning them over to the witch hunters
That's also my guess and more likely and probably what would have happened :)

Off topic, the title seems like it contains spoilers.
I've played it but others might not know how or if Junior and Ciri are related.

Errr.. NO. Because...

1) For Dandelion to pick Whoreson as the person to go to for the repairs, he must have had a really good reason.
Otherwise... WHY even bring it to WHORESON in the first place? o_O

2) As far as I understood, at least some work was done on the Phylactery by Whoreson?
Because Yennefer never mentions that it "needs repair" when you eventually bring it to her. Just that it needs to be charged. (The Final Trial)
Therefore, apparently Cyprian DID tinker with it to some extent?

3) Remember that it was Whoreson fearing Ciri more than she feared him.
Therefore it would have been wise by him to not try and cheat her and Dandy with imaginary promises.
Therefore, there must have been at least SOME merit to Whoreson's claim as part of the deal.

Last edited:
WHY even bring it to WHORESON in the first place?
Humm... If I remember it's pretty much the question that Geralt ask to Dandelion at the end of its quest :D
"What the hell were you thinking ? Presenting Ciri to Whoreson and work with him..."
Question that Dandelion answer with something like that :
Ciri showed up, she desesperatly needed help, Yen and you were'nt there, Triss was unfindable and Whoreson said he know a magician able to refill/repair the Phylactery.

So Dandelion just "thought" that Whoreson knew someone, which is most likely untrue.

Dandelion is hardly the smartest guy, so going to Whoreson without being sure he is being honest is something he would do.

Dandelion is hardly the smartest guy, so going to Whoreson without being sure he is being honest is something he would do.

There's a HUGE difference between "hardly the smartest" and... MINDLESSLY IDIOTIC.

If we accept your version of events, then we'd have to assume that Dandelion is the latter. Which he certainly isn't. (altho he does come close.)

So... still NOT convinced. :S

Also, no one paid attention to this:

2) As far as I understood, at least some work was done on the Phylactery by Whoreson?
Because Yennefer never mentions that it "needs repair" when you eventually bring it to her. Just that it needs to be charged. (The Final Trial)
Therefore, apparently Cyprian DID tinker with it to some extent?

3) Remember that it was Whoreson fearing Ciri more than she feared him.
Therefore it would have been wise by him to not try and cheat her and Dandy with imaginary promises.
Therefore, there must have been at least SOME merit to Whoreson's claim as part of the deal.

"Dudu is left wth him as a ward of guarantee"

Dudu didn't become Junior's ward of guarantee. He was involved in a robbery (become Henkel, who dropped the bomb down the drain).

Last edited:
If we accept your version of events, then we'd have to assume that Dandelion is the latter.
Wrong. Smartest and an idiot are two extremes, and being far from one does not equal the other. That's like saying there is only black and white.

Dudu didn't become Junior's ward of guarantee. He was involved in a robbery (become Henkel, who dropped the bomb down the drain).

I've forgotten the full chain of events. You're probably right, but that doesn't mean I'm WRONG.

Wrong. Smartest and an idiot are two extremes, and being far from one does not equal the other. That's like saying there is only black and white.

You're overcomplicating things.

My point was:
If D + C had to go to freaking WHORESON Jr. for the phylactery, then chances are that Jr. really DID know a capable fix-it guy...

I've never had a problem with that part of the story. Nor do I think Dandelion's decision was particularly foolish. Let's remember, we're judging it from the perspective of time.

1. In the real world it also happens that the bad guys know and can do more than the official authorities. And going to someone like that for help can be an effective shortcut.
Even sometimes the official authorities do it (vide: stories from a few years ago related to gangs on the Scandinavian Peninsula)

2. At that time Ciri and Dandelion had no choice. Remember that Ciri after arriving in Novigrad first wanted to make contact with a sorceress (e. g. Triss) but the meeting turned out to be a provocation of the Witch Hunters. The Hunters have been looking for her ever since. Then she meets Valdo. He meets her with Bea, the waitress. Bea helps Ciri connect with Dandelion.

Together with Dandelion, they also first want to make contact with the sorceress and the meeting turns out to be a provocation. Ciri tells that to Geralt clearly when she wakes up on the Isle of Mist. Geralt says: "Hmm, he didn't tell me about it. " (Dandelion)

So, after two unsuccessful attempts to contact a magical person and being wanted by Witch Hunters, there is no other way to repair the Phylacterium. Let's remember, there was also time pressure. What Dandelion was proposing seemed the lesser of two evils.

Dandelion tells Geralt that he knew it was not the best idea, but Ciri was chased by Wild Hunt and of the two (Junior vs Wild Hunt) he was less afraid of Junior.

Top Bottom