Hotfix for GWENT: The Witcher Card Game

+
MDTycho;n7723260 said:
I hate it when people cry about not getting their scraps back in CLOSED BETA. Let's be realistic - what we do here is FOR the devs and by crafting new cards and testing them that's us who can give them any idea which cards need tweaking. We won't get the scraps after the wipe anyway so it doesn't seem to be that bad now, unless you just milled your entire collection for that deck alone, though.

and how are we suppose to test things properly if we spend all our scraps on cards that become worthless 2 days later?

The reception of the changes they make is also part of the beta experience, I guess the raging of the players may be the incentive to introduce nerf pity scraps as we saw it done in HS. I just wanted to merely state my amusement with people being so demanding towards a closed beta.

I've barely played in the last month for a number of reasons and jumped back in with the new patch, particularly to play Skellige now that it had some new options and I really enjoyed the new life my Cerys deck had. 12 power base Cerys was nice to have, but a pretty balanced trade with the nerf to Queensguard. I even had some fun playing around with a Cerys and Boar of the Sea combo the first night since I got Boar in a keg. (BTW, Boar is kind of fun, but in practice it's a completely impracticle and unwieldy joke of a card. I guess we should have known how Skellige would be treated when that was the new gold card you gave us.)

Anyway, I spent my free time at work today coming up with a hybrid control/brute strength deck to try out using Cerys. Put it together just now, including finally spending 800 scrap on Borkh, and jumped into a game to try it out. Played Bran to discard two QG, played the third to rez them and saw that the other two came out at 3 instead of 4. What the hell? Check Bran... God damn it they nerfed Bran! Then I notice Cerys, 11 strength after playing the three QG. You have to be fucking kidding me. /facepalm

So let me get this straight, a completely broken mechanic like PFI was allowed to run loose for what, two months, but a couple Skellige cards get a minor buff that make them actually viable and you nerf them back to oblivion in 48 hours? And you don't even revert the QG back to 3 strength? I'm seriously losing faith in your ability to manage/balance this game. Can't even let it go a full week to see how things play out? No middle ground like 10 strength Cerys? Just straight up go to hell Skellige players, your 4 card combo (not to mention rez support cards) that was barely viable before the patch gets a completely unecessary nerf (but we're going to tease you for 48 hours and make you think it's actually something you can build a deck around, lolz, suckers). Good job CDPR, you've staunched the tide of "Cerys is OP" and "Cerys is cheese" threads that were flooding the forums...

Oh, and I didn't even get to finish that test game. Layed down Borkh to open the 2nd round and got the dreaded connection problems. Seriously, what a kick in the nuts after spending all day looking forward to the 30-45 minutes of game time that I get in an evening, if I'm lucky. When I'm deciding what to spend my time on for the next few days/weeks it's unlikely I'll be clicking on Gwent. Such a shit show. Pisses me off that I've spent real money on this because I had faith in your track record as developers. If that seems unfair considering that this is a beta, maybe it is. But given the time between the previous patches, the fact that something that nobody thought was a problem was hit with a "hotfix" after 48 hours makes this seem like amateur hour.

Last edited:
I played axeman against the queensguard deck once. I wrecked it by going all out round two, after winning round one. Stopping that deck from using all rounds really hurts resurrection.

Axeman, right now, doesn't want to kill off opponents units. The axeman wants to hurt the enemy so they can be buffed. The more units able to hurt, the better. My opponent even used D-bomb when they were about 50 each (had two of them out) and I was able to buff right back up with Tremors and Harold.

I'm surprise there wasn't any changes on them.

King Bran: Umm... reduced to +1? I never saw what the problem was with giving +2 before. So...an explanation would be nice. I get that the key thing is to discard the units you need for revival but making it only give +1 was truly unnecessary. There are more important things to nerf then this lol.

Cerys': I will agree that having her at 12 STR with two abilities was too much. But reduced back to the original 8 again? With the nerf to queensguard STR (IMO was unneeded and confusing how that came to be) and having Cerys' back to 8 will make this strategy nonexistent now. Cerys' should've reduced been 9 or 10. Also, I HOPE and highly suggest that the queensguard should get their base STR back to 3 again.

Draig: I barely started seeing players use him this patch due to the +3 buff, but having him reduced back to (once again) the original number and making him relentless at the same time is mind-boggling. Draig should either be +3 and fleeting or relentless, or +2 and not relentless or not fleeting. I get that the fleeting/relentless was implemented to prevent an overdose of base STR but having both on him is absurd. Out of all the current broken meta cards how did it get decided that he should be nerfed to the extreme?

I beg yee CDPROJEKT RED, please for future updates, don't try to fix things that aren't broken. Now it seems the only MAIN META deck for SK is now the unbalance Axemen...

Last edited:
The bug when removed from the board card gives Axeman buff is still there.

Card's description:
- Gain 1 strength whenever another unit on the battlefield is weakened.

Koaalar.424;n7729120 said:
lol. I was about to craft Cerys, but Queensguard deck got hotfucked. But I don't get why, and on so many levels.
They explained it by saying that having one card (any res) putting 50 points on the board was too much. And that they had concerns about it even before the patch.

HenryGrosmont;n7730030 said:
They explained it by saying that having one card (any res) putting 50 points on the board was too much. And that they had concerns about it even before the patch.

And yet they allowed PFI to do just that but FAR WORSE (golds...) for 2 whole months. Its just incoherent.

el_Bosco;n7730660 said:
And yet they allowed PFI to do just that but FAR WORSE (golds...) for 2 whole months. Its just incoherent.

Well, I think that them addressing issues quickly is better than 2 months, right?

HenryGrosmont;n7730820 said:
Well, I think that them addressing issues quickly is better than 2 months, right?

Yeah, if they were addressing actual issues. Four pages and I have yet to see a comment from anyone saying "Thank God! Queensguard was so OP!". I understand the part about not wanting to have a single card play put huge strength on the board, but if you can pull 50 points on Queensguard in the 3rd round it wasn't from one play, it was 7-8+ plays that you made in previous rounds leading up to that. The tradeoff is that a number of those plays put 0, 1, or 2 strength on your board at the time, and probably even involved giving 12 to your opponent with Birna at some point unless you somehow drew the absolute perfect hand. Not sure how you can make that argument about Queensguard and not apply the same logic to a card like Kayran which is far more capable of putting huge strength on the board.

Skellige is like a battery that you charge up for a max power play in round 3, and even then putting that much power into a round 3 Queensguard play is really hard to do without compromising the other rounds so much that it's going to be difficult to get the one win you need to force round 3 in the first place. This has been Skellige's niche, playing with targeted resurrection and base strength buffs. Prior to the new Axemen the faction didn't have a lot of ways to put up the huge green numbers of other decks. Dimeritium Bomb was the equalizer that could bring the opponent back down into a base strength fight. Now DB is nerfed, so it made sense that Skellige base strength buffs got a bit more powerful, except now a key strategy in that quiver has been nerfed to a point where it's even worse than where it was before the patch. It's absolute madness.

One of the main problems with Skellige is that so many of their strategies that have the potential for a good payoff are just too clunky and they require way too many moving parts to fall into place for that maximum theoretical payoff. On top of that you can't really combine strategies to have versatility because they use different incompatible parts. So we are left to pick one strategy and hope for that big payoff, and then we are told that because one time in fifty we may pull off something truly epic it's too powerful and needs to be nerfed so badly that it's borderline useless? Ridiculous.

The most indefensible part of this is that they obviously came to the conclusion that the Queensguard archetype needed a buff, or at least needed a buff given other changes in this patch, and that was based on months of prior gameplay. Then suddenly 48 hours in to the new patch they decide to nerf it so that it's even weaker than before? There's no way to spin that which doesn't make them look incompetent. I fully expected Cerys to drop to 10 strength at some point, and reducing Draig to a +2 buff OR making him Relentless at +3 would have been understandable; but nerfing Cerys, Draig, and Bran, without even restoring QG back to 3 strength is plain stupid.

Cerys at 12 was ridiculous. That's just a plainly better version of Geralt which is unfair. However, 8 is quite low and 9 would maybe do it much nicer (so that the 3 queensguards buff her first to 12). But she can still bring like 15 value eventually, which is better than Geralt. And maybe it's clever that she is not as good as Geralt yet, if you have only played queensguards once.
Bran wasn't that powerful. But 1 base strength difference isn't that much.
Draig - if something, he shouldn't have been double nerfed. It'd be nice if he at least wasn't fleeting. That's really the point of silver ressurection. Putting fleeting cards to SK goes against the rules, I think. Or put him back to +3, but both seems just bad.

Well 3 days back to Gwent as Skellige player and i'm already feed up with this bullshit (sorry). Bran was never ever good because of the -1 situation he put you in and now he was nerfed again? I have the feeling that it was done because a minor but vocal minority who doesnt want to have more than 1 Meta deck to play against . Now i'm playing against Radovid control and Weather decks all day long with a winrate under 35%.

Knightlon;n7731840 said:
Cerys at 12 was ridiculous. That's just a plainly better version of Geralt which is unfair.

Lots of gold cards are better than Geralt. He's a weak card, I can't remember ever seeing him get played except by people who are just starting and don't have other cards, which is sad. The plain Geralt card needs a buff to make it usable, it's a terrible yardstick for balancing other cards.

rvonlin;n7731710 said:
Sorry, I had to cut the post, otherwise it would've been too long of a quote and my short answer would've looked bad :p

Now, seriously. While I do agree with some of your points and I do think that QG isn't the biggest issue, at least not so far, I still think that devs responding quickly is a good sign.
I mean, let's look further than this particular issue.
Besides, rethaz wrote that they do have data proving suspicions they had about this prior the patch release.

It 's my fault guys.. When I decided to craft a skellige QG deck, developers nerfed all cards. Now I m planning on play scoiatel ( have you understand dear devs? :D)

its a lot of the fact that they made the deck worse than before the last patch. we didnt even get a middle option for most of these cards to where it would still be a playable deck with a chance of winning. queensguard is worse than before, draig is worse than before, cerys is garbage again, priestesses and sig got nerfed, Bran got worse. meanwhile the insane axemen were left untouched and Yennifer conjurer (which is played in 99% of decks) got the wrong nerf.

cerys should have been a 10, at least a 9
draig remian +3 but keep fleeing and relentless
queensguard at 2 is fine if cerys had a small buff
bran should have stayed at +2 so he might be able to work with out deck archetypes

cards that need actual nerfs
griffin should only be able to take bronze cards. the ability is far too strong for a bronze unit you can have 3 of that can steal silvers from your opponents graveyard.
vicovaro medic should only be able to rez a disloyal unit since they can chain rez scoiatel cards or steal key cards from skellige and actually play them.

The more I think about it (and play) the more ridiculous this hotfix becomes.

I still cant believe that they killed a viable but not OP deck 48h after resurrecting it from the dead and didnt change anything to the ridiculously abusive Axegirl mechanic. Its just unbelievable.

well.. i play monsters so you could suppose i m happy on this skellige nerf.. but i'm not happy.. cause they destroy the queensguards' deck, that in my opinion, was very very funny to use, not no brain ( like old PI NR deck) and rewarding.. bran received an ecxessive nerf, as well as QG and cerys
really not deserved.. i respect who fight me with this deck
maybe a little too strong, but not to be nerfed

HenryGrosmont;n7733720 said:
While I do agree with some of your points and I do think that QG isn't the biggest issue, at least not so far, I still think that devs responding quickly is a good sign.
I mean, let's look further than this particular issue.
Besides, rethaz wrote that they do have data proving suspicions they had about this prior the patch release.

Well lets see if they continue to respond quickly to things that are actually problems. They don't exactly have a good track record in that regard so I'm not holding my breath. A good start would be to reverse some of this heavy handed over nerf, but I suspect it's far more likely we get radio silence for weeks/months while Cerys and the Queensguard go back into the dustbin of forgotten toys.

The argument about pulling OP QG with a bronze is disingenuous at best. When almost all of your plays in the previous two rounds need to be devoted to laying the groundwork for that one play it's nonsense to claim "50 strength from a SINGLE bronze", BS it's from a single bronze. Furthermore, one strong play doesn't make it OP. To set up that 50 point QG play you need to make other compromises in your deck. Now, if they could make that 50 point play in the 3rd round while also dominating the first two rounds we would have a problem, but they can't. You can't look at the QG ramp in a vacuum as though it just happens all on its own without the interaction of other cards.

Top Bottom