Hotfix for TW2 EE GoG version

+
Hotfix for TW2 EE GoG version

I got TW2EE from steam which has not been launching, I however have never received any error messages when trying to start the game.

When ever i used the launcher and press the play button it would sit on the wolf icon for a while before the launcher comes back up. I did all the reinstalling of .Net didn't fix it. So i applied to get my free copy from GOG, again same problem with the launcher as the steam version and no error.

I Reinstalled .Net again, tried again to run the game with the same results. Which i then applied the Hotfix and got the same results with all other attempts to run the game.

I just get no error messages and it just loops back to the Launcher.

Steam and the game need to be run as Administrator (right-click run as Admin or change it in the properties). I switched to the GoG version so I wouldn't have to run Steam as Admin, since Valve stated Steam should never be run as Admin.

deadwulfe said:
...since Valve stated Steam should never be run as Admin.
First time I've heard of this, and I've been running steam as admin since before. Did they say specifically why it shouldn't be run as admin?

Amycus said:
First time I've heard of this, and I've been running steam as admin since before. Did they say specifically why it shouldn't be run as admin?

I'd like to know this as well. I've been running Steam as admin for a few years now because it was having trouble patching/installing for some games and also some of the older games couldn't save my progress if they tried to put the saves in the game's folder.

Edit: I think I found the answer :) Steam's support site says it's okay to run Steam as administrator on Vista/7 to get around certain problems. However it says NOT to run Steam in compatibility mode, so I think that's where the confusion comes from.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5688-IFHZ-2170

Trying to run as Administrator does not work or using ~/The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition/bin/witcher2.exe

INFERNO88 said:
Trying to run as Administrator does not work or using ~/The Witcher 2 Enhanced Edition/bin/witcher2.exe

Did you try running the GOG installer as admin while installing the game? Maybe some of the files didn't get installed properly so it's worth a shot.

WardDragon said:
Edit: I think I found the answer :) Steam's support site says it's okay to run Steam as administrator on Vista/7 to get around certain problems. However it says NOT to run Steam in compatibility mode, so I think that's where the confusion comes from.

https://support.steampowered.com/kb_article.php?ref=5688-IFHZ-2170

No, I'm talking about running it as administrator: *NEVER* run Steam as admin.

http://forums.steampowered.com/forums/showpost.php?p=24279544&postcount=18

I thought a little bit of information was given, recalling from memory, but apparently no reason was given. *Shrug* I run the GoG version, so I'm not worried about running Steam as administrator.

I´ve been having the same problem with my GOG installation. I´ve used the GOG downloader. Ran the installation as Admin. Ran the .exe as admin. Nothing works!! :(

CDP Tech Support told me to check the registry, but that was all in order, so I´m still unable to play. Hope there´ll be a solution for this soon...

The Tech guy was probably referring to this . It says steam but this works for all versions of Witcher 2

Steam version - launcher hides in taskbar, game does not start
There are two most common reasons which are the cause of problems with starting Steam version of the game. First is running Steam application without administrator rights, second is installing the game without administrator rights. In both cases you can fix it by running installer and Steam application by right clicking on it and choosing "Run as an administrator" option.

If you install the game without administrator rights, Windows will not allow to add Witcher 2 registry entries. To save a lot of time and fix this issue without reinstalling the game, you can run this application: CLICK HERE..
It will add missing Witcher 2 registry entries.

Indeed, Tommy. But the registry entries were there and consistent with my installation. So that wasn´t the solution to my problem.

I´ll have another go at yet another clean install later today, but as I´ve done that so many times already, I won´t get my hopes up.

If anyone has any ideas in the meantime they´d be much appreciated.

PS
I´ve done all the expected things. Updated my drivers, etc. Run as admin. You name it, I´ve tried it ;-)

Top Bottom