I Don't Trust Alt Cunningham..

+
I just don't like that she uses us to Devour The consciousnesses inside mikoshi along Side murdering Every arasaka employee when you give her access to AHQ's network. What's her justification for murdering innocent people not associated with her death?? Surely she wanted to further some goal by devouring those engrams.. What do you all think?

I mean 'she' doesn't exist, she is an amalgamation of AIs and consciousnesses absorbed into a neural network. To judge it by the moral standards of a more or less regular human is a bit misguided.
I mean 'she' doesn't exist, she is an amalgamation of AIs and consciousnesses absorbed into a neural network. To judge it by the moral standards of a more or less regular human is a bit misguided.
She's creepy tbh. I just hate the fact she kill's all those people by Frying them.. On top of that she makes the last mission too easy by murdering everything in the building.

Alt does not longer exist (she "died" in 2013).
It's a true AI who use Alt datas.So "innocent/pity/empathy" do not probably mean anything now (it's just other obstacles that she take care...).
And anyway about murdering "innocent peoples", Saburo did it too, Corpos did and do it too, Johnny also did it too...
(And engrams, as Johnny said : "what they could expect better ?". So they are not longer "prisoner" in Mikoshi)

Edit : But she help Netwatch to build the Black Wall to protect humanity... So not black, not white, but as always, greyish :)
Basically as @CS554 said, she lives in a plane of existence that "humans" will probably never be able to understand (can a goldfish understand a man...)

Last edited:
It's an true AI who use Alt datas.So "innoncent" does not probably mean anything now (it's just other obstacles that she take care...).
And anyway about murdering "innocent peoples", Saburo did it too, Corpos did and do it too, Johnny also did it too...
(And engrams, as Johnny said : "what they could expect better ?". So they are not longer "prisoner" in Mikoshi)
Kinda wish we could give her shard to Arasaka in Hanako's path tbh.

It's a true AI who use Alt datas.So "innocent/pity/empathy" do not probably mean anything now (it's just other obstacles that she take care...).

Edit : But she help Netwatch to build the Black Wall to protect humanity... So not black, not white, but as always, greyish :)
Basically as @CS554 said, she lives in a plane of existence that "humans" will probably never be able to understand (can a goldfish understand a man...)
Hey,
it's interesting to think about the philosophical stuff like soul, body, personality,...

One thing about Soulkiller we can see with Jackie is that it copies personality data from a brain, but nothing more. Because he was freshly dead when they Soulkilled him, the engram isn't complete at all and responds only with the most probable and recent(=in the best condition) dialogues - like a machine.

So, that makes me think that Johny, Alt, and everyone else Soukilled is indeed just a lifeless program. They understand only what they absorb and forget it when you take it back. They can't think nor evolve on their own and beyond their static knowledge.

If this is true, Saburo must have created his engram sometime before his death or was Soulkilled very shortly afterward - because his engram is in much better condition. The first case seems weird because Soulkiller kills the body, doesn't it?

Also, I wonder what Arasaka wants with all of the souls - and why they have even collected Jackie?
Maybe they want to use them to fight the AIs from behind the black wall?

Hey,
it's interesting to think about the philosophical stuff like soul, body, personality,...

One thing about Soulkiller we can see with Jackie is that it copies personality data from a brain, but nothing more. Because he was freshly dead when they Soulkilled him, the engram isn't complete at all and responds only with the most probable and recent(=in the best condition) dialogues - like a machine.

So, that makes me think that Johny, Alt, and everyone else Soukilled is indeed just a lifeless program. They understand only what they absorb and forget it when you take it back. They can't think nor evolve on their own and beyond their static knowledge.

If this is true, Saburo must have created his engram sometime before his death or was Soulkilled very shortly afterward - because his engram is in much better condition. The first case seems weird because Soulkiller kills the body, doesn't it?

Also, I wonder what Arasaka wants with all of the souls - and why they have even collected Jackie?
Didn't they originally use soulkiller to capture The Target's engram and interrogate them? Why they wanted Jackie's partial engram I can only think since he briefly inserted the stolen engram they wished to either try to question his engram or observe if it was affected by silverhand's personality construct

Hey,

Jackie's case is "special". It's because he was already dead (and since a little while) when Arasaka use the soulkiller on him (As explain a little by Goro, not complete and damaged but still an engram). Could be useful to find some clues (at least, better than a dead corpse...)

Saburo's case is also "special", he used the soulkiller (like the rich poeple) but without the "killing" feature (unlike Johnny for example). The "kill" feature is optional (Alt didn't use it on V during the ending).

And for the use of engrams, let imagine how "good" it could be to have access to memories of the most powerful poeple in the world (and by "memories", it mean everything that they possibly know... codes, secrets, knowledge....). Damn useful if you ask me :)
(And Arasaka already used netrunners engrams that they have "soulkilled" since 2013 for their own use... It's maybe the reason why Arasaka is the most technological advanced corpo in the world...)

Jackie's case is "special". It's because he was already dead (and since a little while) when Arasaka use the soulkiller on him (As explain a little by Goro, not complete and damaged but still an engram). Could be useful to find some clues (at least, better than a dead corpse...)

Saburo's case is also "special", he used the soulkiller (like the rich poeple) but without the "killing" feature (unlike Johnny for example). The "kill" feature is optional (Alt didn't use it on V during the ending).

And for the use of engrams, let imagine how "good" it could be to have access to memories of the most powerful poeple in the world (and by "memories", it mean everything that they possibly know... codes, secrets, knowledge....). Damn useful if you ask me :)
(And Arasaka already used netrunners engrams that they have "soulkilled" since 2013 for their own use... It's maybe the reason why Arasaka is the most technological advanced corpo in the world...)
I also want to ask if they improved upon the version of soulkiller they used on johnny has definitely changed since his time if I'm correct? It definitely seems so but I'm not sure.

"Alt" escaped into cyberspace., think of her like Kevin Flyn in the movie Tron.
A living being able to inject themselves into cyberspace. Anything is possible,
including "soul" manipulation in Cyberpunk. Hence what happened with Silverhand.
V also used the term "well of souls" when describing Mikoshi 's mainframe computer
to Panam, while sitting on the roof of Vik's clinic.

"Alt" escaped into cyberspace., think of her like Kevin Flyn in the movie Tron.
A living being able to inject themselves into cyberspace. Anything is possible,
including "soul" manipulation in Cyberpunk. Hence what happened with Silverhand.
V also used the term "well of souls" when describing Mikoshi 's mainframe computer
to Panam, while sitting on the roof of Vik's clinic.
The AI may have Alt Cunningham's Knowledge but I agree that it's not The Real Alt. More like an amalgamation of Absorbed AI's and Her Digital Engram. Alt "Died" in 2013 Via Johnny severing her connection while she still was being forced to finish soul killer which effectively Killed her physical body. And then in 2023 her Digital Engram was set free during Johnny's Assault on Arasaka Tower. The program Johnny feeds into the Arasaka Subnet in Saburo's office was Named Liberator and I have no doubt that this particular program helped Alt's Digital Engram be set free from her prison and into the Net.

Last edited:
Unfortunately she is pretty much dead. The AI is taking her form because is something "you expect to see". Even so, she helps Johnny, so something hidden out there will remain of her.
Johnny is one of a kind in that he is an digital engram that lives in a human brain.

Unfortunately she is pretty much dead. The AI is taking her form because is something "you expect to see". Even so, she helps Johnny, so something hidden out there will remain of her.
Johnny is one of a kind in that he is an digital engram that lives in a human brain.
I can't help but feel she has some sinister endgame planned for some reason. I don't know why.

Good topic but I can't possibly quote everything relevant, without making this a wall of quotes.

For context, where I summarized something and what @LeKill3rFou referred to is posted here: just something about cyberpunk AI's and how writers back in the day solved problems and how that reflects to game and theories from real AI research.

My take on Alt is that its as former human being and now sapient but non-human entity, that it perhaps could be debated if there's something resembling an emotion or simulation remaining based on Alts interactions with Silverhand and that Alt killed everybody at Arasaka that could be seen as act of vengeance. Or it could be all just manipulation, including interactions with V, did Alt knew about reality of V's situations already, why wouldn't it? I can't really argue for one or another option here but it's interesting thought.

In any case, while kind of hybrid AI, former human consciousness might appear cheesy at first, it's IMO very important as that sort of being can have (and had in game) an agenda where interacting with humans makes sense from that beings point of view. That creates other opportunities to discuss (in terms of story telling) that can touch from human point of view, amoral aspects and ramifications of highly independent systems in real world.

Alt and possible other beings like it makes it possible to have peek in terms of fiction about that I see will be very relevant at some point. There's also that I went to look for silly fic space if there's anything worthwhile about autonomous drones and found one novel that I might read, think that's Kill Decision from Daniel Suarez and what else is there appears to utterly irrelevant and uninteresting. Just one novel... I do hope that fiction would keep up with matters of real world and this wouldn't be another subject we just leave for future generations to deal with and anthropomorphized AI's in fiction, someone will always keep hanging on them, make movies, novels, games but CDPR doesn't need to be that studio.

No way of knowing what they will do and I guess plots for expansions has been written long ago, but still a good topic.

Top Bottom