I don't want to save the world!

+
I don't want to save the world!

I'm tired of being the person responsible for the fate of entire world. Really, can somebody else do it for a while. It's tough being a superhero, even if in virtual world. I'm tired of the games where the main character always saves the world. Why does everything has to be so global.

There are some RPG's where you aren't responsible for saving the world; you might want to seek one of those out for awhile. My husband got me Mount and Blade for Christmas, and my hand-eye coordination isn't good enough to play it (I'd much rather let Geralt use HIS skills for combat, thank you very much!), but you can do anything you want. You can be a trader or a mercenary or try to get in good with one king or another and be given peasants to tax ... I didn't play it for very long, but I don't think you CAN save the world, even if you want to.

Just sit there and wait until the doom is performed. Tell us how the world looks like if you didn't lift a finger. You will have a new challenge anyway: Try to survive is this ruined world... GL :beer:

STGhost said:
Because sometimes to save your village you may just have to save the world.
Done that in FO 2.
STGhost said:
There are some RPG's where you aren't responsible for saving the world; you might want to seek one of those out for awhile. My husband got me Mount and Blade for Christmas, and my hand-eye coordination isn't good enough to play it (I'd much rather let Geralt use HIS skills for combat, thank you very much!), but you can do anything you want. You can be a trader or a mercenary or try to get in good with one king or another and be given peasants to tax ... I didn't play it for very long, but I don't think you CAN save the world, even if you want to.
Sounds very boring I must say. I want a good, compelling, interesting story that has absolutely nothing about saving the world, region, galaxy, universe etc. When I started playing witcher, it was promising. Four guys going hunting the thieves, well they may be happening all around the world, but they won't be saving it, surely, oh wait, nooooo. I end up saving the world again. Everybody wants to create an epic story, but it became a cliche. Everything is now so epic that epicness lost all its power of epicness so there is nothing really epic anymore. Imagine seeing a giant on the street, it has a total whoaaaaa effect: "Look giant, it's so gigantically cool". But if everybody around you is giant when you see another one it's uninteresting: "Oh, hi. How you doin'? Okay, bye, Mr. Giant". Where are the giantslayers when you need them. I think dwarves have racial bonus vs. giants. Anyody know lvl 50 dwarf?Oh, I'm ranting. So I just wanted to ask are there other people that are tired of all these giants?
STGhost said:
Just sit there and wait until the doom is performed. Tell us how the world looks like if you didn't lift a finger. You will have a new challenge anyway: Try to survive is this ruined world... GL :beer:
Now that would be an interesting game! As long as I don't have to unruin it.

Maybe you could try Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords? You play there as a Jedi hunted by Sith Lords. You have to become stronger to survive. Of course you can end up saving the Galaxy or (if you want) you can become a Sith and conquer it. Still it's not so focused around the fate of every living being in the Galaxy, bla bla bla.... It's more about your decisions, your influence on party members and by the way you can save/destroy a planet or two if you want to ;)

It's a bit of an older game at this point, so you may have to hunt for it, but might I suggest Planescape: Torment? Your goal isn't to save the world, or even a village. It's simply one of discovering who you are (your character wakes up in a morgue with no memories but covered in scars at the start of the game) and to recover your mortality.

Otaku said:
Maybe you could try Knights of the Old Republic II: The Sith Lords? You play there as a Jedi hunted by Sith Lords. You have to become stronger to survive. Of course you can end up saving the Galaxy or (if you want) you can become a Sith and conquer it. Still it's not so focused around the fate of every living being in the Galaxy, bla bla bla.... It's more about your decisions, your influence on party members and by the way you can save/destroy a planet or two if you want to ;)
Played it, more than a few times. Kreya is so irritating.
Otaku said:
It's a bit of an older game at this point, so you may have to hunt for it, but might I suggest Planescape: Torment? Your goal isn't to save the world, or even a village. It's simply one of discovering who you are (your character wakes up in a morgue with no memories but covered in scars at the start of the game) and to recover your mortality.
Played that too.

In Oblivion, technically, your goal IS to save the world, but you can totally ignore and refuse that quest, and just focus on all the side quests instead. The game is open ended, so you can play however you want. I spent about a year and a half playing Oblivion (including mods). Awesome game.In the Witcher, it for me at least is a dialogue on how, despite NOT wanting to save the world or save anybody beyond the next person he is getting PAID to save, Geralt still ends up tangled in local politics, global politics, and "how the hell did this happen..." saving....yes, the world.

Starwolf said:
In Oblivion, technically, your goal IS to save the world, but you can totally ignore and refuse that quest, and just focus on all the side quests instead. The game is open ended, so you can play however you want. I spent about a year and a half playing Oblivion (including mods). Awesome game.
Yup agreed.I think to some extend it is the players way of roleplaying.Let me give you a few examples:In the game Spellforce: SotP, I really don't care about saving the world. In fact, I probally wind up supporting the bad guy. Expect of the fact that he imprisioned two of the NPCs that I (as the player) really, really like and care about: Craig Un'Shallach and Darius. Those two are the driving forces for my character. In the end I save the world, I ignore it.In Grandia 2, I save the world again, but the things I care about are Elenas and Millenias wellbeing. Don't give a damn about Valmars reawakening.In The Witcher, I don't give a damn about Javeds plans. He hurt my friends and stole our stuff. Major asskicking in the enar future.I understand your point, Hamenaglar, and agree. But I think it depends on the player and the games presentation of saving the world.In The Witcher, it almost turns out on accident.So, generally said, create a reason for acting as you are "forced" to.I love roleplaying :teeth:

Anyone played Ultima IV? Now there was an RPG with a refreshing take - no big bad boss to kill at the end, no need to save the world from certain doom.Graphics are primitive by today's standards, but what the computer screen couldn't portray was more than made up in one's imagination...

ZeroNiner said:
Anyone played Ultima IV? Now there was an RPG with a refreshing take - no big bad boss to kill at the end, no need to save the world from certain doom.Graphics are primitive by today's standards, but what the computer screen couldn't portray was more than made up in one's imagination...
One of my first games was Ultima Stygian Abyss.... DOS game as I recall. It got me hooked on RPGs. I was so new to computers at the time, I got killed by rats the first few times I tried to play it, because I didnt realize you could adjust brightness on the screen, and it was REALLY REALLY DARK in those opening scenes.... nothing like starting the RPG in nearly pitch black.... could have used some Cats Eye potion.... :whatthe:

You have every right to feel that way, but i must say that The Witcher gives you the opportunity to NOT save the world.
Playing neutral, you 'll see that everything "returns to normal". Sure, you defeat Azar and Grand Master, but that's it.
The world remains the same sh.it it was before. But i suppose you mean you 're tired of having enemies great threats of the world, that your personal foes are foes of humanity as well? Hm, i think being a hero is getting involved in great cases, even if you don't want it. Otherwise we wouldn't have a game. Imagine a witcher having a "smaller" enemy, then he 'd go and defeat him and that's it! Game over, five minutes after its beginning.

I haven't thought about it before... but yeah, it is a major cliché that alot of games use. A winning concept in many terms. However, it would be fun with an epic game or gamestudio that evolved the idea so you either have to conquer the world and keep it in your grasp (ala overlord style) or one that just throws you into an adventure, maybe a war or something, that only shows it through a normal soldiers perspectiv. Or maybe, even a twist to it, you start as this famous warrior that saves the world in the beginning of the game (you slay the giant dragon bla bla, epic but... worn out) and then discovers a hall of heroes (or whatever). As the warrior enters the reality gets distorted and he ends up in another world, where one has to just stay alive and the powers you had just ain't that awesome :p (even though they still look cool as hell, obviously ;D). Then you get drawn into this conflict between a couple of sides and fight as a normal soldier... and not just in the heat of battle, but as a member of a group and maybe as an officer (to lead) I love story and to see "behind the scenes". I think I'm abit stuck on the normal soldier idea :teeth:. Maybe that story would suck as a game (fun as hell to be practically God at the start just to be turned into this sissy through the rest of the game). But I haven't thought about it before and this just popped up in my mind. The point is, I think the save-the-world theme is just an easy way out, and I think that if someone started to think outside the box we could get an awesome story that alot of people would praize.I tried mount and blade by the way... I did not like it at all :p.

Ultima Stygian Abyss oh that one of my old favored games I still have that one :DI think the big idea of Saving the world has it core root that make gamer be that person that stands out and save the day.It a old idea as old as time if you go back to the days of story telling and all.I think that what makes TW stand out so much it not about saving the world only doing what one thinks is right or just the lesser evil in life Just like us mere mortals do on a day to day life ;)

Well you haven't exactly save the world ;), depending on your decisions there will be lots of bad stuff like: 1) elven ending : the war continues and you are responsible for many dead humans all around the battle field 2) if you help order there will be terrible massacre of non humans involved in rebellion, mass exodus south and finally they will start hunting down sorceresses 3) in case of neutral ending two sides will bleed one another also many will die depending on your choices like witch or peasants, or order elves, and finally in ending movie you killed one of your own kin which is against the code.For more details talk to the king of the wild hunt :evil:

nighthunter said:
Well you haven't exactly save the world ;), depending on your decisions there will be lots of bad stuff like: 1) elven ending : the war continues and you are responsible for many dead humans all around the battle field 2) if you help order there will be terrible massacre of non humans involved in rebellion, mass exodus south and finally they will start hunting down sorceresses 3) in case of neutral ending two sides will bleed one another also many will die depending on your choices like witch or peasants, or order elves, and finally in ending movie you killed one of your own kin which is against the code.For more details talk to the king of the wild hunt :evil:
Yep, that's right, you don't really save the world in The Witcher!And yes, the King of the Wild Hunt will give you an exhaustive summary of the people who died after the choices you made!And MANY people died!

Top Bottom