i5-4690k and gtx 970 g1 gaming temperatures

+
i5-4690k and gtx 970 g1 gaming temperatures

Hey everyone.

Lately I'm experiencing some high temperatures while playing Witcher 3 on HIGH settings with hairworks off.
I am having 70-72 degrees temperature of my GPU (gtx 970 g1 gaming)
and 74-75 degrees on i5-4690k with a stock cooler.
I bought this computer around 4 months ago, my case is zalman z3 plus.

Are those temperatures normal? I am freaking out abit I don't wanna destroy anything.
Help me out please

They are pretty low really, my gigabyte gtx 980 g1 gaming ti in sli gets warmer, gpu 1 can reach 83c while gpu 2 never go higher then 75c, so u are completely fine :)
my cpu temps tho are 55-60 on all cores i7 4930k here, but your temps are still fine dont worry about it to much.

Thank you, I also wanted to add that I didnt overclock nothing, graphic card and CPU are on stock settings

With CPU stock cooler, anything other than a slight OC will probably result in thermal throttling.

For a high load szenario the temps should be absolutely ok. Haswell is a hothead and may start to suffer (or throttle) at ~ 90°C. So there is still enough room for you.
High end graphics cards usually run at 60-80°C, but that also depends on the agressiveness of the fan profile. So 70°C is also fine. Again, higher temps than 90°C will not necessarily hurt the hardware, but may result in instability or diminishing performance of the graphics card.

Don't forget to clean your pc once in a while, nothing hurts temps more than dust clogging the heatsinks.

tl;dr: temps are okay, don't forget to clean case & coolers sometimes if you run with stock cooling solutions (or in general)

Oh...wow. :crazy: Please-please-please, listen to me on this one.

Processor temps should be kept below 60°C at all times.

Memory, HDD, or SSD temps should not exceed 40°C.

"Maximum safe temperature" reported by many hardware manufacturers is a bit of a misnomer. It's the maximum temperature that can be reached before physical degradation of the materials used in the hardware will begin -- NOT the maximum temperature you want to be running at all the time.

This value is meant primarily for stress-testing in labs or for processes like a burn-in when you build a new system. If you overclock your hardware, or worse, own a system that was not built with proper voltage or cooling (which can sometimes happen even with off-the-shelf, brand-name computers [Toshiba, anyone?]), you need to ensure that your system is not reaching anywhere NEAR the "maximum safe temperatures" for your hardware.

Hitting the "max safe temp" is not going to immediately make your computer explode, or anything, but it WILL begin to break down the components -- stressing silicon bonds, warping plastics, and beginning to soften metals. Over time, this WILL result in microfractures in silicon crystal lattices, deformed plastics, and brittle metal components...which then spells the end of that component altogether. The instant a transistor stops switching current -- it's irreversible.

Overclocking has become quite common, but it's gotten out-of-hand in the last 5 years or so. The fact is -- it sells, and it guarantees more frequent purchases as it universally degrades hardware. That's great for the industry. (Nothing wrong with it either! Crack the whip and get your system up to gallop!) But do understand what you're getting into. It will degrade your hardware MUCH more quickly, and it is easy to completely destroy your components in a matter of months or even weeks if you constantly push things up to the "factory maximums". That part is not very honestly handled by the industry. Not at all.

So regardless of how state-of-the-art you think your technology may be, how amazing you think your cooling is, or what "UltraExXxtreme PC, Inc." claimed when you purchased your $7,000 system, remember these 3 facts when it comes to temperatures:

1.) Cooling "conducts" heat -- it does not mean that your components are not heating up drastically.

2.) Heat radiates from a powerful core area, and even the best thermometers are only capable of recording ambient temperatures.

3.) No matter that gold, nickel, or silicon only begins to melt at over 1,400°C, plastic turns to liquid at around 100°C, and almost ALL computer components contain plastics.

OP, I would say your temps are 100% normal. That GPU should hover around 70 when under load and if you are worried you can always use a program like MSI Afterburner or EVGA Precision to do your own custom fan curve. Your CPU is running that hot because you are using the stock cooler. While it will not damage it in the short term, if you are really concerned (and I imagine you are because you posted about it), I would invest in a decent after market cooler and put your stock cooler in the bin! I have no idea how comfortable you would be changing this however...

Guest 3790055

That's totally subjective. Under load, air cooled CPUs can easily go over 60 degrees.

I clean up my computer every month 1 time.
I don't have the cash right now to buy some cooler i gotta stick with the stock one :s

That's totally subjective. Under load, air cooled CPUs can easily go over 60 degrees.

Yes, exactly! I never said it won't happen -- I said it shouldn't happen. If anyone has a processor hitting more than 70°C, even under load, it is not properly cooled. My whole point is: gaming mentality has become "push it to the limit!", and even that has been taken to extremes. Any piece of hardware running at 70°C to 90°C is slowly dying.

Many gamers today are spending a lot of money on OC'd hardware, and are under the impression that hitting factory limits, or only exceeding them when they really push it, is "okay" or "normal". That part is subjective. I mean, it's up to each person, in the end, if that's what they want to do...

But the effect on the hardware is not subjective -- it's still going to burn out and break -- quickly. Metals, crystals, and plastics are never going to express an opinion on the matter. They're just going to be affected by the laws of physics and thermodynamics the exact same way every time. If a CPU or GPU is regularly hitting the temps that people have mentioned here -- that needs to be sorted if they don't want to damage their hardware.

Last edited:
Hey everyone.

Lately I'm experiencing some high temperatures while playing Witcher 3 on HIGH settings with hairworks off.
I am having 70-72 degrees temperature of my GPU (gtx 970 g1 gaming)
and 74-75 degrees on i5-4690k with a stock cooler.
I bought this computer around 4 months ago, my case is zalman z3 plus.

Are those temperatures normal? I am freaking out abit I don't wanna destroy anything.
Help me out please

Those temps seem a bit high i would recommened lowering those temps by either getting a better air cooler/Better airflow even and do you have enough fans inside your case? Water cooler you can usually pick them up for £40 for a decent corsair one, not much you can do with GPU except make a fan curve. my temps with strix 970s on Ultra 1440p do around 63-68c and my cpu i7 4790k is around 48-50c < most games actually my temps are like that.

In my case I have 2 fans on top which work 100%, one at the back of the case that works i think now on 70%, one in front also 70%. I managed cables good so there is some room.
i will try to get a cpu cooler asap!

Sorry but generalising this is just wrong. This would mean that all i7 4790k sold by intel would not be usable in a high load scenario with stock or even entry-level cooling solutions.

Even with Water cooling, that CPU will go above 60°C ( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_4790K/6.html - yes this is stress testing, but tasks like encoding will generate similar temperatures).

Intels I series begins thermal throttling at about 100°C. SUSTAINED load above 80° is generally considered undesireable.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Still - Yes he should at least get an entry level cooling solution to reduce temps. Will running a 4690k at 75°C while gaming hurt the CPU? - No.

Your giant post about thermodynamics is interesting, but not that helpful to his simple question.

Sorry but generalising this is just wrong. This would mean that all i7 4790k sold by intel would not be usable in a high load scenario with stock or even entry-level cooling solutions.

Even with Water cooling, that CPU will go above 60°C ( http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Intel/Core_i7_4790K/6.html - yes this is stress testing, but tasks like encoding will generate similar temperatures).

Intels I series begins thermal throttling at about 100°C. SUSTAINED load above 80° is generally considered undesireable.
http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/id-1800828/intel-temperature-guide.html

Still - Yes he should at least get an entry level cooling solution to reduce temps. Will running a 4690k at 75°C while gaming hurt the CPU? - No.

Your giant post about thermodynamics is interesting, but not that helpful to his simple question.

This is such a phenomenon. It just goes to show how easy it is to make a whole population of people believe a lie simply by telling it over and over again.

First, a CPU that's running hot affects more than just the CPU. It's very possible (and very common) for an expensive piece of hardware to be destroyed because a worthless plastic mount deformed or melted, allowing a metal or silicon component to shift and become disconnected. There are endless arguments about "...don't let it go over 70°...no 75° is fine...I read that as long as you keep it under 80°..." Yeah, and if you look long enough, you'll find a website for a gaming computer company that claims they can run "safely" at 90°C using a "special" cooling technique that uses camel sweat.

Heat = wear-and-tear. 60°C is hot enough to cook an egg thoroughly. 70°C makes Tupperware malleable. Wanna talk about 80°C - 90°C?

If you run at this temp, you are stressing components besides just the CPU. It's too hot unless you want trouble in the long run or intend to buy a new system every year or so. Especially when it comes to overclocking -- it's a bad idea unless you can maintain low temperatures.

I am actually using an i7-4790K, 4.00 GHz myself. No OC, no liquid cooling. At max load with all 8 "cores" (4 cores + 4 logic processors) at full load, I have never hit 70°C in the core. In day-to-day usage, it will jump up to 62°C - 65°C -- very infrequently. I've had a few programs (Wild Hunt included), which have pushed it almost up to 70°C in super rare instances, usually lasting no more than a few seconds at a time. I normally play any game with temps between 50°C and 60°C, average of 58°C since I bought it.

This is such a phenomenon. It just goes to show how easy it is to make a whole population of people believe a lie simply by telling it over and over again. [...]
There are endless arguments about "...don't let it go over 70°...no 75° is fine...I read that as long as you keep it under 80°..." Yeah, and if you look long enough, you'll find a website for a gaming computer company that claims they can run "safely" at 90°C using a "special" cooling technique that uses camel sweat.

You mean like the 60°C you pulled out of your hat?

Heat = wear-and-tear. 60°C is hot enough to cook an egg thoroughly. 70°C makes Tupperware malleable. Wanna talk about 80°C - 90°C?
Not really sure there is tupperware in my computer

it will jump up to 62°C - 65°C -- very infrequently. I've had a few programs (Wild Hunt included), which have pushed it almost up to 70°C in super rare instances, usually lasting no more than a few seconds at a time.

But....but i thought to keep it below 60°C at all times?

Your're obviously eloquent and knowledgeable, still you make generalising statements and talk about camel sweat. Intel's specification lists 73°C as recommended max operating temperature http://ark.intel.com/de/products/80811/Intel-Core-i5-4690K-Processor-6M-Cache-up-to-3_90-GHz
He is using a stock cooler, which are designed to target this specification.

Im not saying he shouldn't get a better cooler to improve his temps, but the way you are argueing it might seem to him that his computer will fail or die because of this, which is generally not the case - provided temps do not rise any further.

I played today and the temperatures maximum was 73* for around 20 minutes, then after that it was between 69 and 71*
my gpu temperature was at 72* and i made custom fan profile which at 70 degrees uses 75 of the fan power

I played today and the temperatures maximum was 73* for around 20 minutes, then after that it was between 69 and 71*
my gpu temperature was at 72* and i made custom fan profile which at 70 degrees uses 75 of the fan power

Just get a CPU-Cooler when you have the money available. Depending on where you live, this should not be too expensive. Anything with heatpipes should improve temps. Make sure it is LGA 1150 compatible. IDK where you live but this is a great example for reasonable priced cpu coolers:
Arctic Cooling Freezer 7 Pro Rev 2

If you do not have any Fans in your case, you might want to think about buying a top-blower like the stock cooler (but with heat pipes), because this also cools components on your mainboard. Those are typically not performing as well as the sideblowers though (the cheaper variants).

There is lots of info out there if you want to invest more money.
Also make sure to correctly apply the thermal paste if it's not preapplied. Search for pea method / line method on youtube.

You mean like the 60°C you pulled out of your hat?

This is an operating temperature that has been industry-standard since they developed the first PCs back in the 1980's. New components are added using new materials all the time, but nothing has been able to defeat high-temperature vs. lifespan degradation yet. Not all components in the PC will be made using these state-the-art components. It serves no purpose for your CPU to safely run at 80°C if it melts the housing around it, is there?

Not really sure there is tupperware in my computer

This comment is really thick. I've made mention several times that plastics are used in virtually all computer components. Tupperware is still one of the most durable and heat-resistant plastics ever created, often far beyond the grade that's used in computer tech.

But....but i thought to keep it below 60°C at all times?

Your're obviously eloquent and knowledgeable, still you make generalising statements and talk about camel sweat. Intel's specification lists 73°C as recommended max operating temperature http://ark.intel.com/de/products/808...up-to-3_90-GHz
He is using a stock cooler, which are designed to target this specification.

Yes, it's never a perfect world. I also like to use my hardware and run games maxed-out if I can. Occasionally, a program may cause the processor to jump up a bit and start really pulling the voltage. I'm not worried about 2-3 seconds, here and there. When I see 68°C, however, I take note and take steps to avoid that scenario again.

And you are using words like "heat specification", "stock", "designed for", etc.. I do not think you understood my argument at all. Let me explain even more clearly. Not just for you; for everyone who wishes to read:

Businesses lie to make money. Happens all the time. One of the most common practices, which became rampant in the 1970's and '80's with automobiles, and then started cropping up all over US industries, is intentionally using cheap parts and manufacturing techniques to ensure the lifespan of a product is short. This ensures more units sold over time. Early personal computers back in the 1980's and 1990's would run indefinitely. You didn't have parts "burning out", parts "failing" after a lot of use, or motherboards "going on the fritz". (Sure it happened, but very infrequently compared to the modern day.) The Commodore 64 that we purchased in 1983 (and had been stored in our attic since 1987) still turned on and ran just fine when my nephew dug it out again a few years ago. Why do modern computers only last, like, 3-4 years before their video card "dies"? Because parts are now built to be replaced.

As new tech is introduced, especially for gaming, the industry wants to ensure sales through rollover, upgrades, and claims that the next generation of hardware is capable of so much more. "Overclocking" and "cooling systems" began as hacking ventures, and originally, companies combated it fiercely. In the early 1990's (which used the exact same materials in computer components as today) companies across-the-board issued formal warnings that any sort of "over-clocking" would damage your hardware and void your warranty. That is not what the parts were made for, and no one has introduced a standard titanium composite to replace silicon wafers yet. Then, private companies started doing it -- your friendly corner "PC Repair Shop" would overclock your rig and add a few fans, and they would even offer their own warranty. Woah...nelly! The lawyers ran into work the next day! Lawsuits later, basically claiming that purposefully degrading hardware was an attack against the brand name of the computer company that originally built it, and those same computer companies started seeing how much money could be made with this "gaming PC" thing. Then, they started opening businesses focused on developing PCs that ran cool and provided performance without the need for overclocking or extra cooling -- because pushing hardware like that would damage it. But people continued to spend money, tweak, and overclock. So gaming companies sort of caved in and started offering "professional overclocking and cooling solutions". Eventually, the modern, accepted "Gaming PC" was born -- Alienware, Falcon-Northwest, CyberPower, etc..

But the hardware never changed. It's still made from the same materials that the experts who pioneered the PC industry back in the 70's built with their own two hands. And they claimed you could push it only so far without damaging the hardware. One of the biggest elements was that you wanted to keep internal temperatures (core temperatures, in modern-speak) for your hardware below 60°C. That was a feat that was even more difficult back then.

Now that we finally have the tech to run safe and cool, businesses are encouraging people (or at least not discouraging them) to stress their hardware to the limit because it will increase sales drastically. Even better, add "accepted" or "professional" overclocking, and you cut down on the lifespan even more! Money-money-money!!!

Again, it's not "wrong" to do that, really. It's business. But I know for a fact that most people who spend a lot of money on an expensive gaming system or upgrade do not want to intentionally decrease the lifespan of their system (and heat-stressing parts decreases the lifespan by years.) So when people misinterpret things like "maximum safe operating temperature", it bugs me when businesses simply allow that misinterpretation to fester and feed off of the ignorance of their consumers.

(I do take situations like this to heart, as I've been forced to deal with it through my job for over 20 years. Most people who read this [and that number will be small enough already!], will likely look at it and say: "Who really cares? Everyone's systems run hotter now -- it's just the way it is, gramps. Get with the times!" All well and good, unless you're the person that winds up frying your CPU 6 months from now with absolutely no money for a replacement. Then all of a sudden it makes sense. If it helps even one person, I'm satisfied.)

Im not saying he shouldn't get a better cooler to improve his temps, but the way you are argueing it might seem to him that his computer will fail or die because of this, which is generally not the case - provided temps do not rise any further.

Well, yeah. There's no guarantee of anything in life. I've owned and overclocked my own systems -- that's how I know most of this. Back in the mid '90s, I did a lot of work on (and killed) two systems while I was in university. Learned a ton about how it all works and just how deadly heat can be. Then I learned how to do it right when I purchased a Falcon-NW Mach V in 2004 and had a big talk with the technicians about the nature of overclocking and how my system just wouldn't need it. About how they all recommended against it if you wanted the best stability. And about how running cool would be better in the long-run. That PC is an AMD Athlon 64 with a Geforce 6000 nForce series, and it still runs today. (Once again, my nephew claimed it.)

Last edited:
I5 4590 here mostly around ~60 degrees - reaching 64 max.
Same GPU (GTX 970 G1 Gaming) - actually also around 60 degrees.
Standard cooling, opened case but pretty badly placed within the room.
Maximum work temp for both mine and yours CPUs is 76 degrees. I'd say reaching 70 is a point when you start worrying if you hadn't overclocked etc.
The GPU's temperature is not that bad but I'd also say it's above the good one (I don't think I reached 70 neither on CPU nor GPU).

PS. I pretty much assume you live in Poland where we suffered a prolonging very high temperature days recently. So you might want to think on buying a cooler for both yourself and the PC. Plus - check for some fans malfunctioning or if something got into between the case and the motherboard.

EDIT

PS2. I don't even want to know what had lead to the post above mine :eek:. "Answer in an essay form" lolz.

Last edited:
I5 4590 here mostly around ~60 degrees - reaching 64 max.
Same GPU (GTX 970 G1 Gaming) - actually also around 60 degrees.
Standard cooling, opened case but pretty badly placed within the room.
Maximum work temp for both mine and yours CPUs is 76 degrees. I'd say reaching 70 is a point when you start worrying if you hadn't overclocked etc.
The GPU's temperature is not that bad but I'd also say it's above the good one (I don't think I reached 70 neither on CPU nor GPU).

PS. I pretty much assume you live in Poland where we suffered a prolonging very high temperature days recently. So you might want to think on buying a cooler for both yourself and the PC. Plus - check for some fans malfunctioning or if something got into between the case and the motherboard.

EDIT

PS2. I don't even want to know what had lead to the post above mine :eek:. "Answer in an essay form" lolz.

I appreciate that. :)

What led to it was the desire to dispel corporate myths about hardware capabilities. I'm trying to save those who think that a processor consistently hovering around 75°C is "perfectly okay, no problem."

Seems like your system is in good order, though! (I won't assign you the reading. ;) )

Anything under 85°C is fine for your CPU, no worries. I let my 980 go to ~78-80°C so that I can let the Fans run less aggressive.

Top Bottom