Idea for a new spy card

+
I remember playing witcher 3 gwent, and the ubiquity of spying cards like Thaler, Djikstra, etc. Those spies added an exciting and suspenseful element to the game, and I feel that layer of spy suspense is missing from most Gwent matches now. You have Vernon Roche, Prince Villem, and Canterella, all of which are rarely played, and that's about it.

I think the game could use a new spy card that gives you last say instead of your opponent. A card like:

10 provisions
4 power
Spying
Draw a card
(don't have to play any other cards on your side of the board this turn, while gaining a card from your deck. So, you get +1 turn at the end of the game)

What this card would do, is pay your opponent 4 points, to get back last say.
There's nothing like this ingame right now, and one of the biggest gripes players have is hopelessness when the opponent has "last say." A card like this would allow players worried about not having last say, to recover it by spending provisions and giving the opponent some points.

We already had this card in Beta. Normally it was called "Silver Spies", becaue each faction had a silver cards with this ability (+ some minor stuff extra)
It was cut out, because the card advandage it generated was to powerfull and decks were be to consitent. It was a must have for all higher ranks.

A card like this would allow players worried about not having last say, to recover it by spending provisions and giving the opponent some points.

And what prevents the opponent from playing the same card to counter itself? That alone reduces such a spy card to a boring and binary choice. Silver spies were used by 99% of all decks and games were won or lost by (not) drawing the card.

Duhad

Forum regular
And the silver spies gave well over the average value of a bronze for your opponent, meaning a HC equivalent could give something like 7-10 points to your opponent and they would STILL be considered an auto include in basically all decks.

Combined with mirroring effects and other odd abilities to play more spies, late Beta Gwent began to spiral into a mess of gimmicks and tricks to cheat out as many extra cards as you could get so that come the all important round 3 you would be up by as many cards as possible over your opponent.

HC is not perfect and I WOULD love to see more spies in the game, but one thing I never want to see again is the overwhelming dominance of silver spies.

Top Bottom