Ideas regarding spam decks and diversity

+
Hi again,

I'd like to follow.

With respect, unfortunately the game is full of spam decks, of various kinds. As mentioned before, this encourages simply one type of deck to be played to counter the problem, which is heavy control, typically nilfgaard heavy control (locking) or right now we also see skellige warriors (destroy), or a combo of those two characteristics. However I was also just destroyed by a spam syndicate bounty deck.

It removes much of the desire to try and be creative in your deck building, because it is just going to get annihilated. It completely counters the main fundamental premise of the game, to have a multitude of options, of which nearly all can succeed, of which you can try and create your own unique deck and synergies.

I would like to put forward for considersation, to prevent/diminish spam decks, the suggestion that all cards that feature 'SPAWN a COPY', should be removed from the game, or adjusted to have this feature removed from their character. All of them. This is the common denominator for many of the spam decks.

Then key cards, keltulis to be adjusted to allow a minimum of 5-6 cards to exist for the oppenent before any removal.
I would suggest Viy and Kolgrim should be looked at and/or completely removed from the game, plus any other cards of this nature as well.

I also had a further thought on my previous idea.

All the decks currently contain 170+ cards, so it is easily possible to create 3 to 4 completely different decks for each faction.

An easy/practical way to be able to change the game (by editing the existing code structure/tree) would be to add a requirement that 3 or 4 decks must be assigned and played by the player to each of their factions as a sub category. All 3 or 4 decks will havbe to be played for a nominated amount of times, to build the MMR for a single faction. i.e. each faction will have a subset of 3 or 4 decks which you assign to that faction as your choice for playing for the current period/patch.

then, you have to play perhaps 10 or 12 or 15 games of each of the 3 or 4 different decks you have assigned for that one faction, to build your overall MMR for that 1 faction, and then to do this for all factions.

Then some deck rules, for example In each deck, say only 1 neutral and 1 or 2 original/unique faction cards may be shared between two decks of the same faction, which you submit to play, so you cannot have the same card in all 3 or 4 of your, skellige decks for example, only in two of them.

Creating your decks, and for trials and deck building/play testing, this can be done while playing in the 'training' mode/area, to achieve a deck you like, without penalty of card use, so you can test and play different combos until you find what you are happy with. Then once you are happy with a deck you go into proper games after submitting and locking in your deck and cards to it's faction in your game/player profile/hud. Then your cards are counted for their use, to prevent using a card in more than two decks for any same faction.

Implementing such an idea should, I imagine, follow the logical coding strucutre of the game as it exists now, so it would not require a complete rewrite of the exisitng game I think, simply some subsets (inserting) of code along with a sum and card check?

Right to gameplay, lets say each patch/update/month, a player has to complete the full set of decks and games for 4 or 5 out of the 6 factions, with 3 or 4 decks needed for each faction, and 10-15 games played for each deck (whatever was decided, instead of the current 25), after completing the minimum required number of factions to achieve an MMR, a player may then use whichever deck they want and go into an open play 'area', or the pro rank zone or perhaps a pro rank 1 and pro rank 2, open play zone, where they may then play freely once again. So the best players (highest MMR scores) go into pro rank 1, the lesser to pro rank 2.

*One important rule would be that each deck could only be played for a limited number of times during the build MMR phase, perhaps the same number as required to play to get the MMR for the deck. So if you have to play 10, 12 or 15 games with a deck, after that number, you have to move to another deck. Until all decks are completed and you get to your pro rank level. If you didn't get to pro rank, then you can play any deck you like from this point on to increase your rank and if you get to pro rank, you would be placed in pro rank 2 level.

This should then encourage the regualr use of at least 60-70 cards from each of the present faction sets, during each month/patch and make the game a lot more interesting, uncertain (more unique game play/deck sets) and so diverse and fresh. So playerswould see and experience a lot more different types of cards and deck combinations.

Would be interested to hear any feedback. If people like my idea including CDPR?

Last edited:
Hi again,

I'd like to follow.

With respect, unfortunately the game is full of spam decks, of various kinds. As mentioned before, this encourages simply one type of deck to be played to counter the problem, which is heavy control, typically nilfgaard heavy control (locking) or right now we also see skellige warriors (destroy), or a combo of those two characteristics. However I was also just destroyed by a spam syndicate bounty deck.

It removes much of the desire to try and be creative in your deck building, because it is just going to get annihilated. It completely counters the main fundamental premise of the game, to have a multitude of options, of which nearly all can succeed, of which you can try and create your own unique deck and synergies.

I would like to put forward for considersation, to prevent/diminish spam decks, the suggestion that all cards that feature 'SPAWN a COPY', should be removed from the game, or adjusted to have this feature removed from their character. All of them. This is the common denominator for many of the spam decks.

Then key cards, keltulis to be adjusted to allow a minimum of 5-6 cards to exist for the oppenent before any removal.
I would suggest Viy and Kolgrim should be looked at and/or completely removed from the game, plus any other cards of this nature as well.

All the decks currently contain 170+ cards, so it is easily possible to create 3 to 4 completely different decks for each faction.

An easy/practical way to be able to change the game (by editing the existing code structure/tree) would be to add a requirement that 3 or 4 decks must be assigned and played by the player to each of their factions as a sub category. All 3 or 4 decks will havbe to be played for a nominated amount of times, to build the MMR for a single faction. i.e. each faction will have a subset of 3 or 4 decks which you assign to that faction as your choice for playing for the current period/patch.

then, you have to play perhaps 10 or 12 or 15 games of each of the 3 or 4 different decks you have assigned for that one faction, to build your overall MMR for that 1 faction, and then to do this for all factions.

Then some deck rules, for example In each deck, say only 1 neutral and 1 or 2 original/unique faction cards may be shared between two decks of the same faction, which you submit to play, so you cannot have the same card in all 3 or 4 of your, skellige decks for example, only in two of them.

Creating your decks, and for trials and deck building/play testing, this can be done while playing in the 'training' mode/area, to achieve a deck you like, without penalty of card use, so you can test and play different combos until you find what you are happy with. Then once you are happy with a deck you go into proper games after submitting and locking in your deck and cards to it's faction in your game/player profile/hud. Then your cards are counted for their use, to prevent using a card in more than two decks for any same faction.

Implementing such an idea should, I imagine, follow the logical coding strucutre of the game as it exists now, so it would not require a complete rewrite of the exisitng game I think, simply some subsets (inserting) of code along with a sum and card check?

Right to gameplay, lets say each patch/update/month, a player has to complete the full set of decks and games for 4 or 5 out of the 6 factions, with 3 or 4 decks needed for each faction, and 10-15 games played for each deck (whatever was decided, instead of the current 25), after completing the minimum required number of factions to achieve an MMR, a player may then use whichever deck they want and go into an open play 'area', or the pro rank zone or perhaps a pro rank 1 and pro rank 2, open play zone, where they may then play freely once again. So the best players (highest MMR scores) go into pro rank 1, the lesser to pro rank 2.

This should then encourage the regualr use of at least 60-70 cards from each of the present faction sets, during each month/patch and make the game a lot more interesting, uncertain (more unique game play/deck sets) and so diverse and fresh. So playerswould see and experience a lot more different types of cards and deck combinations.

Would be interested to hear any feedback. If people like my idea including CDPR?

If your creativity isn't enough to put net-decks to the test, then you're either not a competitive person, or you're simply not good enough. If you want to compete with the best, you need to accept the meta as a basis for your creativity.

If your creativity isn't enough to put net-decks to the test, then you're either not a competitive person, or you're simply not good enough. If you want to compete with the best, you need to accept the meta as a basis for your creativity.
I'm not worried about competing with the best, if I do or if I don't and I can freely admit I'm not the best at gwent.

There are so many cards and combinations, you'd have to study like a degree to get to know them all, although if you started the game when it first came out, you would clearly have a significant advantage.

The point I was making is that potential creativity is undermined, both by some of the card interplay designs, within the overall card families, as well as by some elements of the game struture itself, in terms of going about getting your MMR and means to a ranking. I think those are fair points, reasonably backed up by what can be seen when I or others are playing.

My aim has been to try and consider how it might be encouraged to play more of the cards available, more of the time, by increasing the opportunities for competive play across a wider breadth (usage) of the entire card base, so a player may select from more (wider variety of the available) cards, if more of them can be effective within creating a competitive deck. So to be encouraged to play more cards and for more of the cards to have the potential to be able to be competitve as part of a deck.

The change in 10.11 has in some ways encouraged more decks to appear and be tried laterly, but when games are never going to be close, because the gameplay is at extremes of either massive control, or simplistic no brainer high role spam style decks, that then takes away from all the more subtle elements of gameplay there is potentially on offer , but more importantly it takes away from the fun. Excessive repetition (of play) because everyone comes to utilize just one or two decks, as they are the most effective to play, also takes away from the fun. So that is another area I tired to address with my suggestions for possible changes.

Last edited:

UMA22

Forum regular
Hi again,

I'd like to follow.

*One important rule would be that each deck could only be played for a limited number of times during the build MMR phase, perhaps the same number as required to play to get the MMR for the deck. So if you have to play 10, 12 or 15 games with a deck, after that number, you have to move to another deck. Until all decks are completed and you get to your pro rank level. If you didn't get to pro rank, then you can play any deck you like from this point on to increase your rank and if you get to pro rank, you would be placed in pro rank 2 level.

Spamming are part of the game, it the thing that make the issus of a game tottaly unknown bc many things can happen, and make the winning more about ur skills than the luck of draw
They just need to adjust their provision cost
And that's what they are doing with many NG cards
Like, braathens, artorious, slave driver etc
Some others still need to be nerfed like the illusionist, bc he's defnetly stronger than the slave driver, and the Eternal Eclipse Initiate, his cost should maybe be up to 6 bc it too much strong
They also nerfed the reavers etc
Keltulis is annoying and verry effective against many types of decks especially right now as there's a lot of renfri, but will be easily defeated by traps, by leader ability like guerrilla tactics, frost, by Purify/destroy the defender and use heat, by a simple squirrel, by any overspawn deck, like firesworm ....
He's the perfect counter to renfri but he also have counter so it fine.
Also player are bad using it
I play it with viy wich is way more intresting bc even if deal with my defender and kill the dragon i'll still have a plan to win
Now kolgrim, actually the problem here isn't him but it jan calveit, it just not fine to full ur deck with low cards to increase your leader ability then have possibility to draw all ur strongest cards and make sure ur deck will work as planned, others factions have to play Orniromacy that cost 13 provisions to play their key card,
Kolgrim should maybe work if opponent have more cards only too

Last edited:
Top Bottom