In game Vehicles!

+
Nothing says bad-ass like a light-weight electric-bike. It is also collapsable and includes a strap so you can carry it on your shoulder like a sports bag.
View attachment 700
View attachment 701

Attachments

• Minibike01.jpg
    Minibike01.jpg
    15.6 KB · Views: 31
  • Minibike02.jpg
    Minibike02.jpg
    20.9 KB · Views: 35
No one mentioned roller skates and skateboards.
They are not vehicles but... you need solid physics to make it work (and in the future they are using levitation?)
In my opinion they are the perfect weapon/resource in the cyberpunk world. Skateboards to me are the sign of a rebellion and everything for what punk stands for.
Punker in a car?
Punker on the skates more like it. :D

Rad!
I would drop a trail of targets on a flying sk8board!

As far as Cyberpunk won't be GTA clone. I mean car chase in every mission (or every other). Worse with given cars. Or the worst - with motorbikes I fall of every time I hit... pretty much anything.

I can imagine some car-chasing missions including nomads, but I'd prefer TES: Skyrim approach to vehicles. You know. Just transportation means because everything is too far to go on foot. But in Night City I'd prefer other means of transportation - say train or cab, your car\bike also, but - since it's large city - you have to count on traffic jams.

It would be amazing if players and their companions could ride cars and motorcycles.. (and if companions could have their own motorcycles) :D That would be great.

Under the assumption that we have followers / henchmen / mercs, or what have you: the AI in Saints Row 2 and 3 were pretty good about that. If you got in a vehicle that had room for everyone, they'd jump in to the nearest available open seat.

If there *wasn't* room (say, you're on a motorcycle or moped,) the remaining AI would acquire the nearest available vehicle to follow you. Though, that usually meant they carjacked the first passerby, which may or may not be problematic in 2077...

Under the assumption that we have followers / henchmen / mercs, or what have you: the AI in Saints Row 2 and 3 were pretty good about that. If you got in a vehicle that had room for everyone, they'd jump in to the nearest available open seat.

If there *wasn't* room (say, you're on a motorcycle or moped,) the remaining AI would acquire the nearest available vehicle to follow you. Though, that usually meant they carjacked the first passerby, which may or may not be problematic in 2077...

I fail to see how people carjacking would be "problematic" in cyberpunk....

But in Night City I'd prefer other means of transportation - say train or cab, your car\bike also, but - since it's large city - you have to count on traffic jams.

It would be cool if we could "enter" the bus or train and be witnesses to the slices of life that could be found here. Who's the person sitting on our left/right/front/behind? Is he or she travelling on his/her own? What is he or she doing to pass the time until her stop? Maybe we'll find a rockerboy with the raddest instrument ever (an accordion, like you didn't know already). Maybe a mugging.

So if we will indeed be driving in Night City, as that seems likely, what about the ground/air vehicle types typical of the genre? Should we be confined to street vehicles or have access to flying ones as well? Or should all the traffic be in the air? What do you guys think?

I'd understood mapping and balance complexities go up dramatically if you give players access to air power. NPCs have to take it into account, areas have to be complete from above as wellas below, and secure from same, exploitation of the new dimension needs to be tested and retested and so on.

I'd like to see it, but I'd bet on hovercars and wheeled, with true air travel being A-B like a taxi.

I'd understood mapping and balance complexities go up dramatically if you give players access to air power. NPCs have to take it into account, areas have to be complete from above as wellas below, and secure from same, exploitation of the new dimension needs to be tested and retested and so on.

I'd like to see it, but I'd bet on hovercars and wheeled, with true air travel being A-B like a taxi.

Yeah, and i think flying could also create a big AI problem with NPC's.. (especially when parking) By the way i think you should be able to drive right away but using flying vehicles should be a skill you learn.

a good quote of Mateusz Kanik the game director of CP 2077, during a interview:

Cyberpunk 2077 will be an awesome game about a hero from the streets, from very dangerous streets. Raised from the gutter, he uses ultra-modern technology to stand against large corporations and others who exploit the underprivileged. The lonely rider takes his chopper, tech and the slaughter begins (laughter). Awesomeness in pure form with an engrossing, non-linear story – like an epic movie.

I seriously doubt that there will be driveable vehicles in Cyberpunk. It's very expensive asset and it's hard to make it properly. Developers of Sleeping Dogs hired people that made few Need for Speeds and there were 200 people working on this game and yet, driving in this game is very flawed.

Also it took 3-4 years to make a games like GTAIV, GTAV, Saints Row 3 or Sleeping Dogs. CDPR wants to make a game in same amount of time and they have way smaller team. Teams behind those games had 200-300 people. CDPR has less than 200 employees and they make two games. Additionally CDPR have to focus heavily on RPG elements. So I bet that they won't have a time for driving mechanics. Even their engine is not prepared for this.
You're making a good point there, but vehicles are integral to the setting at this point.
Moving on to what you said about sleeping dogs: NFS games had, at least in my opinion, shitty driving (with the exception of ProStreet of course, that one's good). You either had to push the stick left long before the turn came up, or you were just driving using the invisible walls so as to be able to take the corners. Saints Row 3 had some pretty solid driving, and awesome flight mechanics (on advanced of course), but they were meant to be arcade-y. GTA IV is pretty solid in that regard, too, it just has the problem that everything except the buses is made out of weetabixes and TNT.

Dalmacija1: Hoverboards would be great... let's hope they put them into the game.

Making driving "properly" isn't that hard I might have to add. Just put an option in the options menu: Flight physics (realistic or simplified defaulting to simplified) and driving physics (ColinMacRae Rally 2004 , Flatout 2 or NFS defaulting to Flatout 2*).

On the subject of "200 employees: they are hiring, so we'll have to wait and see how big the team will be.

*CMR2004 being very realistic, FO2 being sort of a middle ground and NFS being arcade-y

Aver said:
In 7:00 when he hits something, car just stops without any other reaction. It has terrible vehicle physics. It's ok for cartoonish game like that, but not for game where you expect realism. If they want to put vehicles in the game then vehicle physics should be at least as good as in APB.
Ever heard of physics? No? That's what it should do. Since BL treats the car like a single hard object, that's what happens. Only if either on of them were elastic, one of them would bounce off. And APB hasn't really got that good vehicle physics. Sure, they're nice, but they aren't as ideal as you claim to be. If you're going to refer to the cars getting slower the more you load into them, that's a script.

Another thing: them using RED Engine 3 seems like a really really stupid idea at this point, simply due to the required amounts of code. It'll be just as easy to license another engine, and it'll save a great deal of time, even with all the learning that's required. Because of this, I was suggesting the CryEngine 3 over in the 90-page thread. It already has everything built in that is required (guns, vehicles, jumping) and adding support for everything else is just as easy, if not easier, than adding it to the REDEngine. Add to that that the CryEngine comes with mod tools that are easy to use, and it's near perfect.
I don't, however, think that it is perfect: quite to the contrary, it has got a lot of flaws (fussy model exporters being one of them), but IMO it's the least flawed of the big 3 (SOURCE, UE3, CE3, FB2 doesn't count since it's only being licensed to EA's internal studios).

Since this has already turned into a gameplay thread, I'll add some ideas of my own:
- What is wrong with GTA style open world gameplay? Or, more to the point, blowing things up like in Mercs 2?
- A smaller world does not equal a more detailed one. And it makes you feel game-y and removes from any immersion the game has. Ever played Mass Effect 2? You can go to 3 floors of one building on Zakera ward and access one single room on the presidium. Yet it feels worse than the a lot more stretched out Citadel of Mass Effect 1. Why? Limitations, amongst many other things. Artificially limiting the world is one of the greatest sins of game design, yet very little people grasp that.
- DE:HR wasn't bad strictly speaking, but it was a disappointment because the original Deus Ex was so open and unrestricted. I guess not having played the original DE makes me like HR more than I maybe should, but it's a solid and fun game, albeit too restrictive.
- Giving us the city and surroundings sounds like a good idea to just let people roam free in the flying cars (most of which have a top speed of over 400kph if i understand correctly). *looks at a map of Night City* The complete city would be nice, just with a little bit more open space.
- Make hijacking vehicles a really hard thing to do, and hiding a stolen car an even harder thing to accomplish. Buying cars should be easy, but cars should cost appropriate sums of money.

EDIT: I just remembered The Saboteur, Pandemic's last title. It had some nice driving IIRC.

EDIT2: people here don't seem to grasp how easy it really is to create new stuff when you do a proper framework for it. Since I have no experience with the REDEngine, I'm going to use a CryEngine example: I make a 3D model of a car, which takes maybe 2-3 hours to do (without interior or advanced detailing), put some helpers on it (10-20 minutes depending on amount of moving parts the vehicle has), export it, do the texturing work that's required (2 hours approximately when the color scheme is simple), then I open Notepad++ and start writing the xml file (takes about 20 minutes, 30 if I have some added moving parts or am doing a tank). Then, I open the Entity menu in Sandbox (the CE3 editor), and put my vehicle on the map. After which I test if it works, edit the xml file until everything feels appropriate for the vehicle type, and move on. After which, additional details on the vehicle as well as the interior are being done. Takes about a day, all in all (add a few hours if you're going to do vehicle mods and different textures for it).

EDIT3: Why is copying the mechanics that worked in another game "bad"? CP2077 will be unique by its setting alone, let alone a lot of other elements. If done right, it'll be like Mass Effect and GTA combined, and that sounds like something desirable when implemented properly. Considering that the game will be nonlinear, chances are it would wind up being open world anyway, and adding something to do in this open world makes it a sandbox. And what would a sandbox be without the proper toys to fool around with? Also, what's so wrong about the supposed "sillyness" when having vehicles. I don't see anything wrong with that, and I also think that if you want to drive seriously, you will drive seriously. If you don't, then you're just asking for the game mechanics to constrict you in a way that you yourself can not.

EDIT4: I don't see what's so bad about Bethesda. Their games work, at least mechanically. But god do they screw it up when it comes to writing. And yeah, bad melee... It's still better than something along the lines of Dragon Age: Origins (which I manage to passionately hate even though it has good writing). Fallout 3 was damn near perfect though. I love that game, even with all the faults it has. I can't exactly pinpoint why. It has some horribly working mechanics, and not very inspired story telling. I guess it's just the world itself with all of its strange locations and different (and thanks to me - to a good deal dead) people.

EDIT5: It actually takes more time to make bad graphics... as strange as that may sound. Textures are always high resolution and are downscaled afterwards, the same goes for the models. In the beginning, they're high polygon count models that get stuff cut away because of optimization requirements.

EDIT6: People continuedly think that making vehicles would somehow take away from the overall resources. That's only true for companies like Valve, were every employee can do pretty much anything that's required in game development. Here, though, we have a different kind of company, where, even if the roles aren't set in stone, they're far less flexible. To make vehicles they'd maybe have to hire some more people, that's for sure, but it is doable even with a smaller dev team. Especially if, as I had stated before, the framework for making them easily is already there.

GTA4 or SR3 driving would be nice.... Sleeping dogs driving was a bit weird, cars seemed to turn from the center rather than the front...

As for flying vehicles... I can;'t think of any open world/sandbox game that gave you aircraft in the first installment... so my hopes aren't super high... but then again, Aerodynes and choppers are a pretty iconic part of the original rpg setting... so who knows.. Even if we can't pilot them, we know they will show up...hell an AV-7 is already shown in the trailer.

I imagine hard part isn't really flying per se, the hard part is coordinating them all, since there is going to be three layer of vehicles. (regular cars, regular motorcycles, flying cars, flying motorcycle like things, and helicopter&zeppelin like ships above that, its never been done before and i'm not sure how are they going to do it, i just know its going to be awesome.

Top Bottom