Interest in Community Co-Written Story

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
So, uh, before I begin... Are there any sanity limits? How sane do you want what I come up with? Like, boring English professor sane? Hufflepuff sane? Dental student on crack and sugar sane? Harry Dresden's typical plan sane? Building a third park on Isla Nublar sane? James Bond villain sane? Lovecraft protagonist at the end of the story sane? Lovecraftian horror sane? Jim Carry overacting sane?

I ordered those options from most sane to most insane.
I vote for Harry!

So, uh, before I begin... Are there any sanity limits? How sane do you want what I come up with? Like, boring English professor sane? Hufflepuff sane? Dental student on crack and sugar sane? Harry Dresden's typical plan sane? Building a third park on Isla Nublar sane? James Bond villain sane? Lovecraft protagonist at the end of the story sane? Lovecraftian horror sane? Jim Carry overacting sane?

I ordered those options from most sane to most insane.
When writing (especially a first draft) there should be no limits as to where your imagination takes you. If it doesn't make sense at them moment, it may later on.

Anywhere between Hufflepuff and Dresden is probably okay. Maybe one bond villain moment, but only if done well.

EDIT: But in all seriousness, there is no hard rule ... just remember there are other people telling the story too.

This sounds really cool, though I might have to pass for the time being. I like writing but it's been forever since I wrote anything and most of my time right now is taken up with either work or school. >.> and if I try to write something now..I'll be staring at the screen blankly for a week before anything pops in my head.

One of the best collaborative books I've ever read was Good Omens by Terry Pratchett and Neil Gaiman. When they wrote that they'd trade off on chapters and then discuss them. If you've read it you see that they didn't focus on their characters, but the story. It's all about the story.

We should work the same. Everyone writes about all the characters, respecting each other's work, and how the characters have developed, i.e. no sudden and jarring changes in character behaviour (unless it's justified by the plot).

Zoyha

Forum veteran
Count me in for the party! That would be a real challenge for me - writing in a language that's not my native language, but what the hell, I want to try.

@Suhiira @Snowflakez @4meg @BaalNergal @kofeiiniturpa @walkingdarkly @sv3672 @Trazon

Hey everyone, so @Muffliato @SigilFey @Lilayah and I came up with the idea of co-writing a fan-fiction story based in Night City as a group and wanted to see if there was any interest from others in the community? This thread is just to see if anyone would like to join in. Here is the general idea:

We'll be writing a story about two protagonists "Sard" (a Solo) and "Lil" (a Netrunner) as they try and make their way through a series of situations in Night City. A few notes about how it will work logistically.

(1) All posts must comply with forum rules.

(2) Once we get a list of those who wish to participate, we'll create an order and rotate through the story one post at a time. Thus each author's turn at writing a section will max out at 10,000 characters, at which point the next author in order takes over.

(3) To keep things moving, once a person writes a section, we would like to have the next author's post within a period of agreed time, say 48 hours or so. If a person doesn't post within their time-frame, then it moves to the next writer automatically. So if you post something after your time period expires ... we may well delete it.

(4) Every post must follow the story of the post before it ... so don't go off on something totally from left field. Be respectful to the story of the author before you. If the last post ends with "They ended up in a smoky back room, hoping the deal would go through." Don't start the next post "But then Lil changed her mind and decided it was time for them to go to a baseball game." Twists are fine ... just don't throw stuff way off in a way that completely negates the work of other writers.

(5) If you want to join in let us know ... we'll make a group and start in a couple days. We're hoping to have 10-ish people so we can rotate through without it being too much work on anyone. After all this is just for fun.

(6) We're open to considering other interested people too, but as a practical matter we will likely keep the total number capped around ten users or so.

So let us know if your interested in writing something with us. And we can discuss some of the finer points too if you want.
I would absolutely love to get in on this writing. Sign me up!

Alright, I think we're gonna call that a group.

truasian, Snowflakez, Suhiira,kofeiiniturpa, Njabab, Trazon, alchemie, 4meg, Maelcom404, BaalNergal, wnorosmarta & Scapechild

Plus Lilayah, Muffliato, SigilFey and myself. That's 16 people - let me know if I missed someone.

We'll need to discuss some basic Act I plot structure (to point us in a general direction) and some character profile stuff just to make sure everyone is on the same page when we start. Then we'll figure out a writing order, and we'll be off to the races. I'll likely be sending everyone a PM tomorrow to get things rolling.

Once we get started ... I'll probably re-title this thread for discussion, and start a new one for the story itself.

K.I.S.S.
Alphabetical by forum handle, that way it's easy to keep track of who's next.
Hmm maybe for first round the best option would be people choosing what order, that way they can see how it goes. At least the first Round.

Hi guys, sorry for that late reply but do you think there is still place for me ? I would be really happy to be a part of this :D

Thread re-titled. For anyone curious but not directly involved we're having a private chat about general plot path and characters. I hope we can start posting in a separate thread next week that we will make for just the story. However, non-spoiler-ish discussion on the story can take place here. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom