Is this game an rpg?

+
Seems like the other thread was merged or something, there was talk of what makes an rpg so:

The problem here is that genres in video games are useless to define anything more than in some ultra vague nondescript way to the point its sometimes worse than useless.

Issue with defining RPGs is essentially like slapping Turn Based Strategy, Real Time Strategy, Tactical Based Strategy, Grand Strategy, 4X, MOBA, Tower Defense, Wargame and Artillery game all under the vague genre of "Strategy Game" without any of the ones we have today. You'd have fairly similar arguments of what makes a strategy game a strategy game and what kind. Best we got so far is cRPG, RPG and jRPG but they're pretty pointless terms that are too vague to be useful.

There are more RPG genres than just those 3 but really, they don't describe the core of RPGs.
Here is an easy way to know if it is something else from a looter shooter. If you can finish the entire game without leveling up and ONLY loot the best guns that pop from enemies, it is a looter shooter.

And that is what you can do in Cyberpump 2069

CP2077 is a pretty bad looter shooter if it was one. Loot in lootershooters tends to be fun and exciting which the stuff in CP2077 is just not.

Just like with RPGs, theres more to looter shooters than just shooting to loot. Like really good mechanics built around that which CP2077 doesn't have. I'd imagine the game very much was an RPG at some point but everything interesting about the game was cut to meet the release date.

CP2077 is a pretty bad looter shooter if it was one. Loot in lootershooters tends to be fun and exciting which the stuff in CP2077 is just not.

Just like with RPGs, theres more to looter shooters than just shooting to loot. Like really good mechanics built around that which CP2077 doesn't have. I'd imagine the game very much was an RPG at some point but everything interesting about the game was cut to meet the release date.
I totally agree, and I am not bashing borderlands in any way. It is just not what we wanted from cyberpunk. Also I hate Looter Shooters it is lazy game design and the most common way to milk gamers for money.

Then feel free to look at some of the other highly viewed and active threads on this forum. you might be happy with whats in the game, but that doesn't mean im wrong.
I've seen them. I disagree with many of their premises and conclusions.

I feel like you've played a completely different game than everyone else.
Cause from what I've seen, the quests don't really branch, and any "choices" only offer the illusion of choice as you're railroaded down the same routes regardless what you choose.
There's no real choice and consequence. Nothing matters. Beyond the immediate quest, where "choices" might affect rewards slightly, it's basically just a linear on rails shooter with some minor dialogue options.
The world is huge. But it's also barren and empty. Barely anything to do beyond the thousand "go here, kill/stealth guards, take/hack X" gigs. Which are basically all the same.
Character creation is meh. Sure, you have stats, but they don't matter much. You can do great simply based on player skill. While stats and skills might improve how you do, they're not what defines how you play, that's all up to twitch skills. So your character is mostly irrelevant. And what are these four progression systems?
Also the crafting and loot system as a whole is terribly implemented. It's simple enough to just keep grabbing better random weapons off enemies to keep getting stronger without even having to bother with crafting.
You and I are apparently playing different games. All of that does not resemble the game I'm quite enjoying.

If having choices in certain quests is not it.
If a progression system doesn't mean much to you.
If Attributes and Perks are just "meaningless" things to click
If Romance options isn't considered
If customizing your character is nothing.
If your build and playstyle is different to mine, different to other players here, and this game is still not an RPG somehow then there is little to discuss in my opinion.

I feel like some people are working backwards from their conclusion, and not reasoning right. Yeah you're disappointed with the launch, but hello this is indeed an RPG.

Guest 4406876

If your build and playstyle is different to mine, different to other players here, and this game is still not an RPG somehow then there is little to discuss in my opinion.

I feel like some people are working backwards from their conclusion, and not reasoning right. Yeah you're disappointed with the launch, but hello this is indeed an RPG.
This game is an RPG as much as this:
rpg.jpg

I agree but not a full RPG. More like 66,6(6)% RPG, with stealth, action and adventure mixed in

This game can easily be put in RPG category due to dialogue choices, and the progression system with various ways to build your character. It's an action adventure rpg like so many other games. Although of course this is very unique in that it's like a mix of Watch dogs, Far cry, Fallout, GTA, and Witcher3 in one way or another.

It's not entirely an RPG. But more so than not.

What dialogue "choices"? It's already been proven that 98% of the choices you make lead to the exact same outcome, with that other 2% where you actually do have a different outcome are extreme outliers to to the rule. This game is just an Action/Adventure/Sandbox with "RPG elements", which basically every single AAA game has anymore anyway.

What dialogue "choices"? It's already been proven that 98% of the choices you make lead to the exact same outcome, with that other 2% where you actually do have a different outcome are extreme outliers to to the rule. This game is just an Action/Adventure/Sandbox with "RPG elements", which basically every single AAA game has anymore anyway.
All of wow dialogue is just a text window, and that's an RPG. this is inherently more of an RPG than wow is!

How did you come up with 98% you got the math? I'm sure many decision changed how approached missions and also the ending?

Old granny soulwynd time: Back in my days games with narrative and story choices were called adventure games while games with intricate mechanics and systems, usually imitating table top RPGs, were called cRPGs.

You know an RPG can often be what you make of it. The more open world and reactive the better, but I mean independent of quest choices.

For example. I don't always play like this but I did during my last session:

I had a job across town, a place to hit and some info to secure. I suited up in normal clothes and drove (like a normal person ) from my apartment to the location. I checked the place out from my car then I drove a few more blocks, parked in an ally and walked to a nearby vendor to spend some money and look around. Afterwards I staked out the location - I found out there was about a dozen enemies, a few civies as well, in this place, and that there was a connection to that vendor I went to . Sometimes the environment tells the story.

I found handful of entrances, including one from the upper floors.

I went back to my apartment. Took a shower and a nap. I woke up and it's late now. Hit my stash to gear out and put on my edgerunner gear. Hopped on my bike and tore across the city.

I really felt immersed at this point. I had done my pre-planning and now my planning. I was gonna hit this place hard, loud and fast and be gone.

Just as I pulled up on my bike my phone goes off. Its Panam, she needs help now.

What kind of friend am I? Do I blow off this job and high tail it right to her? Do I stick the plan and pull an all-nighter, hitting this place and then head out of the city?

I eneded up going ahead with the mission, but even though there were no dialogue choices and no special quests holding my hand, I felt fully immersed in the role-playing experience.

Yeah, I wish it had the reactivity that they told us about in the 2018 trailer, had the world we were promised, but there's enough there. Its an RPG. But its also what you make of it.

Ah see this was my question as well. Not being an RPG player I had a different idea of what an RPG would be like. After playing through to the end of the story in CP2077 I felt like the character V's role was underdeveloped and really lacked any divergent paths. Shame that each of the life path options really only gives you a unique initial cut scene then the rest story is the same for all 3 and you can't deviate other than just not do the storyline. Maybe I am missing something in my first play through.
Post automatically merged:

You know an RPG can often be what you make of it. The more open world and reactive the better, but I mean independent of quest choices.

For example. I don't always play like this but I did during my last session:

I had a job across town, a place to hit and some info to secure. I suited up in normal clothes and drove (like a normal person ) from my apartment to the location. I checked the place out from my car then I drove a few more blocks, parked in an ally and walked to a nearby vendor to spend some money and look around. Afterwards I staked out the location - I found out there was about a dozen enemies, a few civies as well, in this place, and that there was a connection to that vendor I went to . Sometimes the environment tells the story.

I found handful of entrances, including one from the upper floors.

I went back to my apartment. Took a shower and a nap. I woke up and it's late now. Hit my stash to gear out and put on my edgerunner gear. Hopped on my bike and tore across the city.

I really felt immersed at this point. I had done my pre-planning and now my planning. I was gonna hit this place hard, loud and fast and be gone.

Just as I pulled up on my bike my phone goes off. Its Panam, she needs help now.

What kind of friend am I? Do I blow off this job and high tail it right to her? Do I stick the plan and pull an all-nighter, hitting this place and then head out of the city?

I eneded up going ahead with the mission, but even though there were no dialogue choices and no special quests holding my hand, I felt fully immersed in the role-playing experience.

Yeah, I wish it had the reactivity that they told us about in the 2018 trailer, had the world we were promised, but there's enough there. Its an RPG. But its also what you make of it.

I like your approach but I find as a M&K user the inability to actually just walk around the environment without sprinting everywhere is just too immersion breaking as is walking everywhere crouched so you don't collide with all NPC. A walk speed toggle would make the immersion more interesting.

Last edited:
It's a looter shooter with interactive cut scenes mixed in.

This plays a lot like Division 2 in 1st person. Every fight ends where you see 10++ loot drops of varying quality scattered around you so you run around to grab em all.

Eh it's a marginal RPG. Just because games have character creation, branching dialogue, levels, and point distribution doesn't mean they're RPGs. The recent Assassin's Creed games have those and they aren't RPGs.

Top Bottom