It's really dissapointing.

+
This is going to be long text and just my personal opinion. I really tried to keep my expectations with this game realistic. I really didn't expect a perfect game. But I have played for about 30 hours now and damn it's pretty disappointing in general, just a mediocre shooter. And I am hardly the only one who thinks that. For starters, I want to say that I think the main story is great, and easily the best part about the entire game along with the sound design and music. Really the only thing worth playing it for.

The character creator? like what happened?
There is almost no way to customize your body or face except for a few simple options. I mean yay for genitals but that's it. Even demon souls have a deeper character creator than this. is especially Ironic since there is a text at the top of the character creator telling you that appearance is everything in this world or something like that. This leads to an even funnier point that they don't even have hairdressers or plastic surgeons in the year 2077. For a game all about appearance and style, you would think they would at least have hairdressers.

The game on pc at 2k ultra looks mostly good, runs decent, and has plenty of atmospheres. But boy does it vary from area to area. Not to mention bugs and clip-ins galore. But while the city is bustling with life it also feels dead. You cant really live yourself into the city. Walk around and eat food from a stand or sit and drink at a bar for a while drinking and watching strippers or something. The game is heavy on atmosphere and life but is missing all the details which make a city feel alive. The game also has severe problems with NPC's not having any substance. I recall them talking about oh there would be 100's or even 1000s of NPCs that would be unique and cool with their own dynamic lives in the bustling city. I mean yeah there is a lot of NPCs in certain streets but they don't really do anything but walk and stand around. Occasionally you hear some amusing dialogue or the cops bust someone but that's about it.

Side jobs are for the most part just your boring cookie-cutter jobs like in most "RPG" and open-world games. Save someone here, kill someone here, collect item here. Sometimes there are some interesting side jobs with fun characters or rewards but they still have the same old formulas like the other side jobs.

But the worst part of all that really kills the game for me is the very simple gameplay loop over and over again which again is not new to current-day open-world games or RPGs. Sure the game has hacking, stealth, melee, gunplay, and cyberware for your body. This is cool at the start of the game and the first few hours, but as you progress you realize just how shallow and boring all of it really is. All of the combat, stealth, and hacking is like a budget version of Deus Ex. Fair enough not exactly the same type of game but that still doesn't disapprove my point that for example, the stealth in Deus ex is way more varied and interesting in the way you can hack and take down your enemies.

Stealth in this game and its entire skill tree is useless and boring. You only really have two options and that is to either sneak up and break their necks or choke them. What happened with the awesome stealth-like kills and distant wire hacking we saw in previous gameplay by using the awesome cyberware like mantis blades or the wire? They removed the special kills from them completely and they are just basic melee weapons. Not to mention the cyberware which flavour text says you can force open doors. It doesn't, you just need a high body stat. You might as well use the katana or any other melee weapon. Melee however also just suffers from the same problem, Lack of variation. All the melee weapons just have the same boring combos over and over with the same boring kill animations. Not to mention the melee combat, in general, is all-around quite clunky. Didn't they promise to fix that before release? Looks the same to me.

Hacking sure adds a few interesting elements to the gameplay. I've tried at least 15+ of them and for the most part, I think the hacks are pretty boring. They don't really do anything special. It really just boils down to damage the enemy or slightly inconvenience them. Maybe I just haven't found the interesting ones yet?

That brings us to the only strong part about the gameplay and that is the shooting part. I mean it's just like playing a really good FPS. But that's it.
They honestly should have just made the game a pure cyberpunk FPS with a more linear story and less or maybe even no open world. Considering how many flaws this game has that actually might have made it better. Especially since the story is the strong part. Feels like almost every single big game released this day has to be an open-world game with generic gameplay and jampacked with cookie-cutter side missions and collectibles.

Most critics seem to give the game a raving score and I cant seem to understand why. Same with the raving reviews on steam with a lot of people claiming that the game will be better over time as they add more things and maybe even add the missing things. But that just means the game wasn't finished to start with, how in the world is that a good thing? If I buy a game I expect it to be finished except for story-related DLC and such, not that I have to wait for months or even years for them to perfect a game that should already be done. Witcher 3 suffered from a similar problem at the start. If the game is not done, then don't release it. It's that damn simple.

But hey this is just one silly person's opinion. You can love and enjoy the game as much as you want. But for me, it's just another overhyped and disappointing game that could have been so much more. I will even go as far as to say that it's a very Bethesda-like move to overhype and promise so many things and release a game without half of em. Just look at the 2018 cyberpunk world and gameplay. Then compare it to the game from 5 months ago or from now. It's ridiculous.

Oh and all of this disappointment is on pc. I can't even imagine how disappointing this game is for the people who play it on last-gen consoles considering the number of problems it has.

Agree with almost everything except the part about making it a linear game. Instead of a Besthda type game, you want an Activision or EA one? I rather have the repeating missions and collectibles with an option to explore as opposed to an on the rails Michael Bey inspired set piece extravaganza. Open world could've been amazing, it just needed to be done better.

It's an extremely linear story in an almost open world. You're not really enticed to explore the world either as all the "goodies" aren't worth it.
I disagree, how is it linear? You can go off and do things in any order you'd like, the only linear section is the start of the game.

Has anyone playing on the Xbox One X found the 1.04 patch made visuals and performance worse? I'm having this problem. Before the patch they game actually looked surprisingly good! Now it looks like a base Xbox game without the enhancements for One X. It crashes and lags so badly! I preferred the game before the patch. I guess I can't uninstall the update?

Really disappointed and dissatisfied! I really wish I could get a refund for this game!

Agree with almost everything except the part about making it a linear game. Instead of a Besthda type game, you want an Activision or EA one? I rather have the repeating missions and collectibles with an option to explore as opposed to an on the rails Michael Bey inspired set piece extravaganza. Open world could've been amazing, it just needed to be done better.
no man the things needs to be his finished, even the best open world is boring at the end, if not is multiplayer, games can be experiencies or stories, like books or films... is better a little dinamic, interactive and replayable world than a immense and full of collectibles world. Maybe not... but is necesary to try it, we know the other side yet.

Even so, the gameplay loop in Cyberpunk is infinitely more varied and interesting than it was in Witcher 3 which was a 10/10 according to I know not how many people.

I beat Witcher 3 using the Igni flamethrower in Death March in about 90 percent of all the fights, including the boss fights.

Every single Point of Interest in W3 was less interesting than every single Cyberpunk side-job I've done until now. I guess I've done about 30 side-jobs or so.

The detective stuff in Cyberpunk, including the brain dances - have all been way more interesting to me than holding down the Witcher Senses button and doing what the game told me to do.

In the end, I guess both games are about the story. I like the story in both - but I have yet to complete Cyberpunk.

Cyberpunk is buggy as hell and it seems to suffer the exact same balance issues that Witcher 3 did, but the actual gameplay loop is much more appealing to me, as is both the loot and progression systems.

The story. No matter what you do, it makes no true difference. The order you do things doesn't change the fact it all heads in the same direction no matter what.
Yeah but that isn't a definition of a linear game, thats when each mission is rail loaded and with no open world, no choice to choose which order you do missions in, or weather you even for the side missions at all... what your saying just means that the choices didn't matter as much but i could tell you there is countless sections in the game where they do matter and you get a nice sequence out of it, more so than many games i have played, this is one of the games strengths rather than a weakness.
Post automatically merged:

It is disappointing on many levels.

Open worlds don’t seem to be CDPR’s forte.

Should’ve made it hub based and focus on making those hubs interesting and varied. Leave these huge open areas, that didn’t really work in Witcher either away. I’d bet the game would be better for it.
Hub worlds are the fuckin worst, let's not wish CDPR games to be hub worlds please, this isn't destiny and have some appreciation for the beautiful world they have created, its not some half arsed hub world. Have some taste in games dude.

Yeah but that isn't a definition of a linear game, thats when each mission is rail loaded and with no open world, no choice to choose which order you do missions in, or weather you even for the side missions at all... what your saying just means that the choices didn't matter as much but i could tell you there is countless sections in the game where they do matter and you get a nice sequence out of it, more so than many games i have played, this is one of the games strengths rather than a weakness.
I have to disagree with you on that. For me, a linear game can still have elements and illusions of choice in it. It's not a linear game though, per se, it's a linear questline. Sure there are choices but when all the endings have been completed you just realize they all lead to the same fate no matter what, and your choices and actions were all in vain. It feels railroad-esque, even though it is an open-world game.

I feel you. The whole experience is mediocre at best.

Dont get me wrong, the story and the "real" side quests are amazing. The graphics are awesome and the music / sound is aswell.

Also props for the german localization, amazing work. Very nice, to get some jokes that only work in german.

But the rest feels absolutely dated. The would have been ok 10 years ago style of dated.

Like you said, stealth is completely pointless. There is no way of saying it nice, sorry.

Regarding the world, it is imersion breaking bad. I cant interact with anyone. No one really reacts to me. Everyone who at least went to a bar in real life should know that what you wear matters. Nope not in cyberpunk, I can enter in undies with a bullet proof vest and no one bats an eye. Thats bad.

More bad: I can run arround NC like this. With a weapon in my hand. With cyberpsychosis all over the news and even all over the quests aswell, so I am constantly reminded that the world arround me knows about this, but hey, no one cares.

Ugly: I can slice through someone with my mantis blades and nothing really happens to me. There wont be any blood on me or on my cloths, nothing.

Driving arround NC in my vehicles is a huge letdown aswell. Everyone just drives like on rails. There is no fluidity, no organic traffic that feels real. If I am going 10kph no once cares, no one will overtake, nothing. Just go outside and try for yourself. I am aware that there are technical limitations, but this game was in dev for how long again? It does not feel ready yet tbh. But hey, if I decide to not just hop out of the car in the middle of the road and just leave it there so everyone can patiently wait in line behind it, but decide to park it, uh boy everyone starts screaming...
However if I rear end someone, nothing. Damage model doesnt exist aswell.

A lot of effort went into making the cars sound right, but that was a complete waste, because they dont feel right.

But walking is entirely pointless aswell, since I cant interact with the people arround me anyways. Why cant I buy a hotdog at the hotdog stand? Whats the point of it in the game then?

Why am I not hated by the gangs if I take out their members by the 100s? Why does no one react to what I am doing? There are games much much older who have a fluid standing system.

Why cant I create a char, but instead have to chose presets? Why cant I go to a tattoo studio? Why cant I go to a barber?

Like it was said already, the meele combat feels primitive and dated.

The smaller side quests are a nice add on, but are the same thing over and over and over again. On top of that, they feel pointless and dont have a feelable impact on the game world. Why can I assasinate people without their faction caring? Why are there no intermissions like you arrive but the dude just got arrested, or somebody fucked up and its a trap etc.

It feels like the witcher 3 to be completely honest. Not bad. The witcher 3 was real good.

But that was years ago. Its 2020 now.

The whole thing doesnt feel like a good game. It feels like a good idea that was left unfinished. It really does feel like you guys just took the witcher 3 and gave it better visuals and guns. Like I said, would have been great, 5 years ago.

I have to disagree with you on that. For me, a linear game can still have elements and illusions of choice in it. It's not a linear game though, per se, it's a linear questline. Sure there are choices but when all the endings have been completed you just realize they all lead to the same fate no matter what, and your choices and actions were all in vain. It feels railroad-esque, even though it is an open-world game.

That's not true, your idea of what a linear game is deluded, you mentioned quests themselves are linear but when glued with the whole picture it's not linear i can do side quests that affect the story before i do the core missions (IN ANY ORDER) , same goes for GTA and RDR2. You can progress as fast or as quick as you want in any order you'd like - it's not linear, sorry to burst your bubble.

Melee/fist fights are incredibly glitchy and random, horribly executed.

I imagine it's been done before but I can't think of a first person game with melee that didn't make me at least chuckle a bit as it's usually pretty silly. Similarly third person shooters are often not very good either (though they certainly can be if done correctly) and that is why I was hoping CDPR would have taken a cue from Metal Gear Solid V which mixed first and third person and created an experience gameplay wise that was one of the best experiences I've ever had.

Top Bottom