KTS: My Impressions

+
KTS: My Impressions

So as you can read in the topic name, I would like to share with you my feelings about the new features in Gwent.

First of all, I simply love changing troop/character/special/hero cards to bronze/silver/gold. Why?
It gives lots of new possibilities and is easier to understand for everyone just by adding bronze color (silver and gold were already there). Also, I guess that the card limitation will go to like 20+ bronze / 6 silver / 4 gold cards. So we will probably be able to see some silver and gold special cards. I guess that in the future we could also get things like buildings etc easily, simply by making them bronze/silver/gold too (troop/character/hero wouldn't be the limitation for a building).

On the other side, I don't know what to think about gold cards. It looks like they are much more targetable now. Operator can draw a gold card, Monster's ability can leave a gold card on the board, Draug can destroy gold cards with 3 or less strength... I really hoped that you will stick to the idea that gold cards are almost impossible to break or summon and only Unicorn card or something like that could mess up with them.

Northern Realms passive ability is amazing! Thank you so much for that change. Now promoting low strength cards is not a bad idea anymore and putting poor fucking infantry to the melee row when Biting Frost is played is still a good thing to do.

When your opponent passes, you still have to wait for the coin to show his turn and your turn. It was really annoying for me and completly useless.

Time pressure is too high. Gwent is based on awesome game art and lots of tactics and everytime I started to think a little about my strategy I spotted the countdown bar. I think there should be like extra 10-20 seconds. Of course it was hard to slowly check and read the cards because of the time. You might say: "you can view the cards later". Yeah, of course. But I believe that we all should feel comfortable in a game, not stressed.

The premade decks were obviously bad. Both weren't much fun to play =/

It was weird to see lots of effects going on one by one. Let me explain: I play Caretaker card, it takes some time to put him on the board, then I summon the Roach, the Roach goes to the first melee row, then she changes its position to ranged, then your opponent summons the Roach, it goes to the melee row and then changes the position to siege, and then I can see cards which I would like to summon via Caretaker. Do you get me? I think that it should all go at once or at least be a little faster because I had sometimes a feeling that the Caretaker's ability is to summon 2 Roaches instead of doing his job.

I don't know what to think about drawing cards during next turns. It ruins Gwent idea a little. On the other side, it was a good thing when you thought like: "aw I'm not lucky today, for sure I will lose this game" and then you drew some amazing cards. After playing like 20 games I found it rather good than bad.

I believe that if we want to play Scorch card, all the cards which would be destroyed should be highlighted. I found out that people which played quite good often made mistakes. They used effects like Scorch etc to destroy their own cards. I think that highlight would solve the problem in like 40% and made better players certain what a card is supposed to do.

Is it just me or does Geralt: Swordmaster card looks low quality to me? The whole Gwent artwork is really cool and realistic somehow but Geralt card looked really comic and low quality. I think that the animation was the main problem. For me it didn't fit other cards at all.

I don't want to talk about balance/bugs here, because I believe that this build didn't show the truth about those aspects of the game.

Ok, that's all from me! Do you guys agree? Thanks for reading! =)

First of all, I simply love changing troop/character/special/hero cards to bronze/silver/gold. Why?
It gives lots of new possibilities and is easier to understand for everyone just by adding bronze color (silver and gold were already there). Also, I guess that the card limitation will go to like 20+ bronze / 6 silver / 4 gold cards. So we will probably be able to see some silver and gold special cards. I guess that in the future we could also get things like buildings etc easily, simply by making them bronze/silver/gold too (troop/character/hero wouldn't be the limitation for a building).

Agree 100% and like the idea with buildings and other type of cards

On the other side, I don't know what to think about gold cards. It looks like they are much more targetable now. Operator can draw a gold card, Monster's ability can leave a gold card on the board, Draug can destroy gold cards with 3 or less strength... I really hoped that you will stick to the idea that gold cards are almost impossible to break or summon and only Unicorn card or something like that could mess up with them.

For me it was fair, considering NR deck ability to mass promote units. Also theres not many cards which can deal with golds. Draugh card seems fair enaugh since its a gold unit itself but they would need to change the description to "lower or equal 3str" because the one on the card was saying less than 3 str and draugh could still destory cards which equal 3 str.

When your opponent passes, you still have to wait for the coin to show his turn and your turn. It was really annoying for me and completly useless.

I really liked the coin animation and the flipping and hitting the table sound. Plus it gave me more time to think.

Time pressure is too high. Gwent is based on awesome game art and lots of tactics and everytime I started to think a little about my strategy I spotted the countdown bar. I think there should be like extra 10-20 seconds. Of course it was hard to slowly check and read the cards because of the time. You might say: "you can view the cards later". Yeah, of course. But I believe that we all should feel comfortable in a game, not stressed.

Thats why i liked the coin animation ;)

It was weird to see lots of effects going on one by one. Let me explain: I play Caretaker card, it takes some time to put him on the board, then I summon the Roach, the Roach goes to the first melee row, then she changes its position to ranged, then your opponent summons the Roach, it goes to the melee row and then changes the position to siege, and then I can see cards which I would like to summon via Caretaker. Do you get me? I think that it should all go at once or at least be a little faster because I had sometimes a feeling that the Caretaker's ability is to summon 2 Roaches instead of doing his job.

I overall liked all the animations but problem here was that during all of those which you said above the time is still running. So when you used like caretaker or operator which turned out into a long combo (drawing another medic for example or a toad or something) and you did that with like 10-15 seconds till end of your turn, than you ended up playing a random card because the timer was down before full combo played. So we need to play very fast if we are planning to use a card like that (which can convert into very long combo).

I don't know what to think about drawing cards during next turns. It ruins Gwent idea a little. On the other side, it was a good thing when you thought like: "aw I'm not lucky today, for sure I will lose this game" and then you drew some amazing cards. After playing like 20 games I found it rather good than bad.

I personally like the new idea but not gonna write anything more since i wrote enaugh about it today.

I believe that if we want to play Scorch card, all the cards which would be destroyed should be highlighted. I found out that people which played quite good often made mistakes. They used effects like Scorch etc to destroy their own cards. I think that highlight would solve the problem in like 40% and made better players certain what a card is supposed to do.

It happend to me once when i lost my focus for a sec. Hmm highlighting cards wouldnt be a bad idea but its not a big deal for me.

Overall i loved the game and cant wait for more :)

On some level I agree, on another I disagree.

1. I think the monster ability is either a bug - or needs to be removed
2. A gold card with less than 3 STR is almost non-existent. And even if there is one on the battlefield it would not be a huge loss IMO. So I don't mind the Draug ability
3. Still unsure about Operator

I like it that gold cards can be affected now, especially regarding those abilities that HARM them. It turns them from a static "win card" element to a dynamic bastion of strength and resilience. I think gold cards should not be invulnerably, especially now that you can actually PROMOTE silver cards to gold cards. Mainly because 90% of the abilities that harm the gold cards are abilities that belong to OTHER gold cards. I am against silver or bronze cards being able to harm gold cards, but I think gold cards should be able to affect other gold cards with their abilities.

That being said, I am still unsure about the Operator, since it is really a big thing to be able to revive gold cards.... We'll have to see how that will affect the balance of the game long-term.

It might be annoying that I repeat it in every thread now, but here is my idea:
Drawing cards after first round (before round 2): good - keep it
Drawing cards before final round (after round 2): bad - remove it
Mainly because at the end of round 2, if both players won 1 round most players will have only 1 - 3 cards in their hand. Drawing an extra card will often decide the match in such cases. Which means the final win will depend on a lucky draw, which is not the point of the game IMO. So to keep round 1 and 3 strategic, and to make round 2 more dynamic, only drawing 2 cards after round 1 but removing the draw before round 3 would be the best solution if you ask me.

EXACTLY.
You do not know the times I witnessed someone scorching their own cards. Strangely enough I also made that mistake. I looked at the battlefield and saw that one of the opponents buffed cards was the highest, I played scorch but it did scorch my highest card (lower than the enemies card) instead. No idea if that was bug or a special rule exception for that particular card, but if the game would have highlighted the cards scorched that would not have happened and I would not have had this "this is not what I intended" moment.

Last edited:
Top Bottom