Laptops and Overheating

+
Laptops and Overheating

So, since TW3 is going to be released soon, I as everyone else am trying to figure out what to do with my rig. Regrettably, I do not own a desktop, because I didn't have enough space in my old house. So 3 or so years ago I bought a laptop. A gaming laptop mind you, which should still nowadays run most games without any real issues, other than RAM, since I just have a 4 GB card.

The problem is, that lately I've been having issues with it overheating, like a lot, today it even shut down. Imagine what will happen when it gets even hotter.
I've checked some other random forums about the issue, found some solutions but I am not quite sure what to do.

So I am wondering what you guys think on the subject.

P.S. I kind of looked around for similar threads, not very thoroughly though, so I apologize if I am repeating topics.

I've read that, replacing the Thermal paste on the GPU and the CPU helps. I also read that it damages the laptop. Any thoughts?

Have you cleaned it? Laptops are all crammed inside and dust and other crap accumulates, increasing heat and reducing airflow much more noticeably than in desktops.

Have you cleaned it? Laptops are all crammed inside and dust and other crap accumulates, increasing heat and reducing airflow much more noticeably than in desktops.

Yeah I will do that, I was just thinking to open it up, when I would change the thermal paste, but now I don't know if I will. Guess I should though.

Changing the thermal paste should be a last resort. The cases where overheating is caused by failed thermal paste are few and far between, you can't do a better job of applying new paste than the factory, and you can make a much bigger mess of things.

Getting the laptop open enough to blow out the dust (then getting it put back together so it still works) is the first thing to try. How to do this, exactly, depends on your model. There are many videos of how to disassemble and clean a laptop. Search for one that is for your model or close to it.

Top Bottom