Martial Arts in 2077.

+
They regularly portray things in "cinematic" style not realistic.

Hand grenades exploding in balls of fire.
Car doors as hard cover.
Martial Artists single single-handedly defeating small armies.
Etc.
Etc.
Etc.

While this would be perfectly acceptable in Batman as portrayed by Adam West in the 60s it not in Batman "The Dark Knight" from 2008. One was an over-the-top semi comedy, the other definitely not.

Doesn`t it depend on what your looking for in movies / games realism or escapism . How often in the do the " good guys " win the real world ?

Doesn`t it depend on what your looking for in movies / games realism or escapism . How often in the do the " good guys " win the real world ?
More often then not. This is why most nations have a functioning (if far from perfect) law enforcement system.

More often then not. This is why most nations have a functioning (if far from perfect) law enforcement system.

I think it's just about numbers: actually there is more good (well, non bad at least) people, that's the reason why law enforcement system works.
If there was an even number of good and bad people, then bad people would win without a doubt.

Most actual hand-to-hand fights last for a matter of seconds. If weapons are involved, it's even shorter. Two master swordfighters that have trained their entire lives might last for 30 seconds or so. Bruce Lee's legendary, real-life match against Wong Jack Man only lasted about 3 minutes.

Games, kind of by necessity, are going to be more Hollywood than realistic, mostly because it's really hard to model the awkwardness and sloppiness of a real fight. Even for actors, it's really hard to make a fight look realistic and messy while still remaining safe. The choreography adds a sort of rhythm to it that doesn't exist in an actual brawl. (Game of Thrones does a GREAT job with this.)

I doubt CP2077 will have a Martial Arts System.

That sort of thing is what the "Street Fighter" games are for. CDPR tying to implement such a system in the essentially uncontrolled environment of an open world game would be a programmers worst nightmare, and that doesn't take into account needing to dedicate a fair number of the very limited amount of buttons/toggles available on a controller to it thus severely limiting other game control/UI access/manipulation options, or players needing to learn/memorize the various combos they'll use maybe a dozen or so times during the course of the game.

Also, while CP2020's Martial Arts system looks good on paper it's a pain-in-the-ass to play the game with, many limited use special moves that only apply on rare occasions and given the extremely limited number of skill point CP2020 uses far to expensive for what it's worth.

So put me down as "Not a fan" of the idea.

Martial arts in a fighting game very much differs than any kind of genre & i totally understand you points. I myself would prefer the combat not as complex as a fighting game especially for a FPP game.

This is why i think Kingdom come lacks. the swordfight combat system lacks in engaging & more fluidity. Compare this to Nioh (albeit 3rd person) which also has so many techniques & stance system, in which the complexity combos arguably close to a fighting game. Or an early access game like Mordhau (which I recommend anyone that love medieval) are so much more fun & engaging because its mastery (high learning curve) & an improvement to M&B game.

There are some reasons & possible evidences that I believe CDPR might actually have a martial arts & melee focus system as both the official trailer & 48 minutes gameplay featured some kind of MMA gym (the guy training with humanoid bot).

Like in this:

- not only that, both Ripperdoc & Dexter Deshawn were watching a boxing match (possible hints?).
- melee weapons is confirmed & rumored to be varied.

Yes it could be argued that all evidences are substantial but the official trailer itself supposed to be a glimpse of everything that we could do & possibly more.
Post automatically merged:

OK guys, I finally devised a better & more solid vision for what I would think "could be" the perfect (balanced) Martial Arts System for Cyberpunk 2077. But again, this is still in basic forms, not including the stats & RPG elements which we just don't the full scope of itself for CP2077.

There are 4 mainline entries of games that inspired this system.
1. Mirror Edge Series
2. Souls-bourne series
3. Nioh
4. Overwatch

Add to this with Cyberpunk martial arts system from my initial post. Alright here me out here.

Martial Arts combat consist of 2 main variations.
- bare-handed (CQC) skills
- melee weapons skills/variants

From this 2 main variations, there will be sub-variants:

- Bare-handed (CQC) skills
this type of skills will be build on from a mix of Mirror Edge Catalyst (MEC) combat + Cyberpunk martial art set + Nioh's techniques/ form. The reason I choose MEC combat because it has fluidity of movement & parkour system integrated together, so it's appropriate with how CDPR kinda also mentioned parkour system will be close to Titanfall 2.

the combat will be consists of 4 basic moves;
1. light attack (punch/kick). move depend on martial arts type.
2. heavy attack (heavy kick/heavy punch)/block/parry. move depend on martial arts type.
3. dodge or slide (already seems to exist in 48 minutes gameplay)
4. special move (grapple/choke/throw/sweep/crush/counter). move depend on martial arts type.

when you go jump, pressing light attack will make it a one leg kick animation, pressing heavy attack will make it a two leg kick (heavy) animation. Light attack combos will have different forms depending on what type of martial art that you choose. Also, you can only choose/activate one type of martial arts while on combat, treat it like a weapon to "equip."

For the sake of example, here's some videos for what the vision would be:

From this, unto the type of martial arts. the type of martial arts will give us a different type of moveset & combos. the combo form system will be borrow from Nioh weapon skills in a rather simple way, so you could choose move & form. But first, the type of martial arts will be:

1. Boxing
2. Jiu-Jitsu
3. Muay Thai
4. Silat
5. Sambo
6. Karate

I pick "only" 6 types because its already much enough for the complexity itself. It could be add depend on varieties or martial arts (which is a lot). So, here are the moveset (without stats & damage numbers):

1. Boxing moveset
+ light attack (focus punch). Combo attack: punch > punch > punch
+ choose Block OR parry OR heavy attack (focus punch). Combo attack: heavy punch > heavy punch > heavy punch
+ choose special move: choose crush OR counter

2. Jiu-Jitsu moveset
+ light attack (mix). Combo attack: punch > kick > punch
+ choose block OR heavy attack (mix). heavy punch > heavy kick > heavy kick
+ choose special move: choose grapple OR sweep OR throw

3. Muay Thai moveset
+ light attack (focus kick). Combo attack: kick > kick > kick
+ choose block OR heavy attack (focus kick): heavy kick > heavy kick > heavy kick
+ choose special move: choose crush OR sweep OR counter

4. Silat moveset
+ light attack (mix). Combo attack: kick > punch > kick
+ choose parry OR heavy attack (mix): heavy kick > heavy kick > heavy punch
+ choose special move: choke OR sweep or grapple

5. Sambo moveset
+ choose block OR parry
+ choose special move: grapple OR throw OR choke OR crush

6. Karate moveset
+ light attack (mix). Combo attack: punch > kick > kick
+ choose block OR heavy attack (mix): heavy punch > heavy kick > heavy kick
+ choose special move: crush OR throw OR choke OR sweep

So here it is for "bare-handed (CQC) skills." It's rather simple but technical enough to be implemented in a more complex way, coupled with melee weapons & guns/range weapons types. As for melee weapon variants, it would be another post. Also this variants will heavily borrowed from Nioh, Souls-bourne series, & Overwatch.

Let me know what you guys think. Feel free to criticize or suggest a better ideas. Remember that this is all just hypothetical ways. Also, I have no input for the skill tree & stats & character build itself. This is just a basic form what "bare-handed (CQC) skills" could be.

Last edited:
Now this would be so cool, but i wouldn't really expect it in the game, but if it were, that would be so fucking cool, yet cheesy at the same time, so you'd have to have some cheesy one liners.

Well there were two guys boxing in the background during the demo so some form of hth combat will definitely be included. The question is how advanced is it going to be.

Well there were two guys boxing in the background during the demo so some form of hth combat will definitely be included. The question is how advanced is it going to be.

Not just boxing, the official trailer also seems featured a takedown MMA style with a knee.

yeah, I think a proper balance between simple yet customizable enough to get more varieties. That's why devised my own hypothetical combat design with bare handed skills martial arts. I will try for melee weapons variants in a few days.

in 2077 all traditional MA are gone thankfully. all marial arts its all boxing kickboxing and wrestling bjj based. basically MMA.

From this, unto the type of martial arts. the type of martial arts will give us a different type of moveset & combos. the combo form system will be borrow from Nioh weapon skills in a rather simple way, so you could choose move & form. But first, the type of martial arts will be:

1. Boxing
2. Jiu-Jitsu
3. Muay Thai
4. Silat
5. Sambo
6. Karate

I pick "only" 6 types because its already much enough for the complexity itself. It could be add depend on varieties or martial arts (which is a lot). So, here are the moveset (without stats & damage numbers):

1. Boxing moveset
+ light attack (focus punch). Combo attack: punch > punch > punch
+ choose Block OR parry OR heavy attack (focus punch). Combo attack: heavy punch > heavy punch > heavy punch
+ choose special move: choose crush OR counter

2. Jiu-Jitsu moveset
+ choose block OR heavy attack (mix). heavy punch > heavy kick > heavy kick
+ choose special move: choose grapple OR sweep OR throw

3. Muay Thai moveset
+ light attack (focus kick). Combo attack: kick > kick > kick
+ choose block OR heavy attack (focus kick): heavy kick > heavy kick > heavy kick
+ choose special move: choose crush OR sweep OR counter

4. Silat moveset
+ light attack (mix). Combo attack: kick > punch > kick
+ choose parry OR heavy attack (mix): heavy kick > heavy kick > heavy punch
+ choose special move: choke OR sweep or grapple

5. Sambo moveset
+ choose block OR parry
+ choose special move: grapple OR throw OR choke OR crush

6. Karate moveset
+ light attack (mix). Combo attack: punch > kick > kick
+ choose block OR heavy attack (mix): heavy punch > heavy kick > heavy kick
+ choose special move: crush OR throw OR choke OR sweep

So here it is for "bare-handed (CQC) skills." It's rather simple but technical enough to be implemented in a more complex way, coupled with melee weapons & guns/range weapons types. As for melee weapon variants, it would be another post. Also this variants will heavily borrowed from Nioh, Souls-bourne series, & Overwatch.

Let me know what you guys think. Feel free to criticize or suggest a better ideas. Remember that this is all just hypothetical ways. Also, I have no input for the skill tree & stats & character build itself. This is just a basic form what "bare-handed (CQC) skills" could be.

6 Styles should be (In order of learning curve, brutality and effect in the 2077 world):

Street/Boxing - Punching and Dodging emphasizes keeping your balance and moving.

Kung Fu - (also known as Gongfu and Wushu) Sweeping kick attacks and disarming punches, emphasizes disarming an opponent.

Jeet Kune Do - (Good enough for Cowboy Bee Bop) FAST Light attacks and Kicks, emphasizes keeping your opponent off balance.

Muay Thai - (The Art of Eight Limbs) Medium level attacks using joints and bone to cause maximum pain and suffering.

Krav Maga - (The manual for breaking your opponent into multiple small pieces) Combination of medium level attacks, disarming your opponent, and keeping them off balance.

Necroing a year-plus-old thread to promote your own... not the way to go.
Threads merged.

Not my intention about "necro-ing." I just found out this thread recently. Just trying make a discussion. I am sorry if I broke some kind a rule with the request or mentioned another thread.

Also, "thread merged" mean my posts & others from the new thread are gone or in this thread?? Again, I've never experienced this. (edit: alright, never mind, please ignore this question LOL)

Last edited:
Top Bottom