Martial Arts in 2077.

+
It will be interesting to see what changes when a person has double-jointed cyberlimb options. How would the style change from that, or would a new martial arts style be created. Same with other cyberlimb options like Hydraulic Ram or Mace hand.

Man as anyone here play Def Jam Fight for New York!? there is some awesome street melee combat and many to choose from. What I am saying that I want this game to be like that in those aspect. A place that I can train myself and options to choose from. Grab a bottle on the street if there is an object close to me and used to defend my self. Street style fighting, Martial arts fighting, Brawler style fighting. etc you name them, many many many.

I will definitely choose Street ones :p. but Please a very good implementation of those moves. I do not want to see GTA4 style of fight. It wasn't bad. but ugly, It could have been better.

Not very similar to an open world game, but DJFfNY was one of my favorite fighting game experiences. It the story (for a fighting game) was fantastic, the customization was amazing, and the way you could mix up your fighting styles was awesome. The one thing that I kind of did not like was that you could not choose your moves outside of your finisher.

Considering the teaser trailer, seeing that woman/cyborg with long twin blades shooting out of her arms, there will probably not be martial arts as we know them in the game.

Panzerfaust is the full-conversion martial art for 2020. It takes advantage of things like doube jointed, built in weaponry and hydraulic rams. Despite the cool name, I always thought it was a bit...fake. If hitting hard with Muay Thai works, and cyberlimbs are designed so your movement is human, the same principles of motion and energy should apply.

I would like to see a next-gen appropriate fight system. Not as simplistic and repetitive as Batman or Sleeping Dogs, but something close to that. I like the idea of either a first-person view done right - since that's how we really fight - or a close in third person view so you can see the sweat fly from their forehead.

Most video game melee is very quick and the opponents and yourself tireless multi-hitters. How about slower combat and harder hits combined with an interactive hit/parry/sidestep/grapple option set? One move allows for another and if you choose poorly, you are opened up to certain counters and weak spots.

The problem is, implementing animations for multiple fight styles could be cost prohibitive. I'd rather have fewer styles and a deeper melee system.

Mmm. Mm. I agree utterly. Or even just one. Part of the reason I started the thread was to see what system most players would most like to see. Next step is probably a poll.

Mmm. Mm. I agree utterly. Or even just one. Part of the reason I started the thread was to see what system most players would most like to see. Next step is probably a poll.

I agree that really there should just be one, maybe two... with moves and things added as the game progresses. as long as I get a cool kick, some quick punches, and a disarm, I am cool...

I personally won't be content unless i get to snap necks.

@ Sard: Yeah, maybe one melee tree that draws from multiple arts, so they aren't trying to replicate so many different animations.

Not very similar to an open world game, but DJFfNY was one of my favorite fighting game experiences. It the story (for a fighting game) was fantastic, the customization was amazing, and the way you could mix up your fighting styles was awesome. The one thing that I kind of did not like was that you could not choose your moves outside of your finisher.

Indeed indeed.

I would utterly love to reverse out of an armbar, elbow to neck, clinch to choke....only to have my opppnent laugh as I try to choke out his plated neck. Damn, that would be so cool.

I'd love for it to expand into what Square Enix did with Sleeping Dogs, and basically do things like judo-kick someone's ass into a manhole, or something of that calibur. Something that makes the fighting and martial arts seem real.

Sleeping Dogs - I'm playing it now. Well, not right now, but it's my main game. The martial arts are okay, but really just a couple button presses. It's a timing, whack-a-mole game. The opponents aren't challenging and the moves and their counters, although pretty, are pretty simple. Lots of QTE, too. Blech.

Sleeping Dogs - I'm playing it now. Well, not right now, but it's my main game. The martial arts are okay, but really just a couple button presses. It's a timing, whack-a-mole game. The opponents aren't challenging and the moves and their counters, although pretty, are pretty simple. Lots of QTE, too. Blech.

What QTE's? There are combat and environmental cues, but QTE's? I don't recall any. Granted it's rough around the edges, but what SD does that is important: no other open world urban game has such a developed melee system. Not even AC, because Batman's actual combat moves are automatic. SD features a timing based combo system, more in line with what TW2 strives for, only it does it better. It feels more interactive.

I found the "left mouse button" then "right mouse button" then "Press E" to feel very quick-time, given that you have to do it in a very short time frame or fail.

Most of SD combat moves are automatic. In Batman, you get an attack/hard attack/counter option set. In SD, I get an attack/hard attack/counter/grapple set. There are follow-ups, of course, but there are in Batman as well. The two games' fight systems are really very similar.

I found the "left mouse button" then "right mouse button" then "Press E" to feel very quick-time, given that you have to do it in a very short time frame or fail.

Most of SD combat moves are automatic. In Batman, you get an attack/hard attack/counter option set. In SD, I get an attack/hard attack/counter/grapple set. There are follow-ups, of course, but there are in Batman as well. The two games' fight systems are really very similar.

Except there are no combo inputs for AC. It's all random animation. SD has specific combo inputs, AC is more about multitasking, and managing many enemies at once. I expect CP 2077 to be more realistic and brutal than both, but if i were CDPR I'd certainly be looking at those games.

This is a two fold question. Settle down! You can do it.

1. Which Martial Arts/Face-punching styles would you like to see in CP2077. Weapons included, of course. Try to leave room for other people to list, so don't list more than, say, your favourite five. FIVE. I know you'll disobey anyway, you bastards. Re-list to support others, of course.

2.HOW. How would you like to see them implement melee, including hand to hand. Grappling could be a real challenge. Batman-AA style? Gothic-style swordfights? Witcher-style? 1 or 2? And why would you pick this method. Do you have any control scheme examples?

I'm gonna go with styles:

1) Brawling (street/dirty fighting)
2) Boxing (clean and very effective when done with skill)
3) Martial Arts
4) Melee/Swordfighting

As to implementation:

I'd rather see the combat semi-automatic with the option to use special skills. Say the way it was done in Dragons Age (and many MMOs).
For the most part you select your target and they fight - BUT - You can select certain special moves you learned as you gained skill(s) to effect the battle.

Well as I'm the only one here to blow my horn I'll say I've had decades of martial arts experience in a few styles, Judo, Taekwondo, Aikido, Kendo, and the last decade has been pretty much armed & unarmed Medieval Western/ Mixed. My opinion, style means sweet FA, mechanically it’s all the same. But if I have to choose.........

Ecky Thump.

Top Bottom