Meteorite Dust Use Not Clear, And Some Gwent Card Cost Analysis

+
Meteorite Dust Use Not Clear, And Some Gwent Card Cost Analysis

Before you read know this: The post started as a complaint, but as I wrote it and worked through the math I ended up proving myself wrong, or at least convincing myself that I had no argument.

I'm a somewhat new player and when viewing the collection I see that cards can be transmuted for meteorite dust. I go to check price on dust about $60 for 7200. I calculate how much it'll take to get all animated cards of Nilfgaard. It'll be about 13,000 meteorite. Two purchases of 7200 will be enough. I thought, man Gwent is pretty cool, allowing us to craft exactly the cards we want like this. I only plan on focusing on one faction anyway so why not, I'll do it. Luckily I looked into it a little bit more and found that you can't actually just create the cards with the meteorite dust, you need to have the original card first.

First off, that's stupid. It would be much better to be able to craft the cards using the meteorite dust. It would still cost close to $800 to get all the cards in the game. It would cost about $120 for a faction and over $120 for neutral.

I think they should consider using meteorite dust to be able to craft cards outright. Or they should allow us to buy kegs of a single faction only. Highest rarity cards, golds, are about 1/20 drop rate. Most factions have about 9 or so golds. That is way too much chance to be able to get the cards that you need. What like 60 something golds in the game, 90 or so silvers, and about 120 bronze. So you can at best expect 3 golds per $70 purchase of kegs.You have to make over 20 60keg purchases to get all the golds, $1400. Each $70 purchase of 60 kegs I read can net around 1600 shards. Shard crafting costs are 800 for a gold, 200 for a silver, and between 30-80 for a bronze, I'll use 50 for bronze. So you can expect potentially 5 golds per $70 purchase of kegs after shards. So you have to make 12 60keg purchases to get all the golds after shard adjustment, $840, not far off from what it would cost if meteorite dust could be used to create cards outright. I've focused primarily on gold card attainment since that is the most rare. It's likely if you can get all golds then you have all the other cards as well.

So whether they make it so you can craft the cards outright or have to get kegs, it comes out to about the same cost overall when everything is said and done. However, the in between area, the majority of people that won't be collecting all cards is where it might hurt. If you want to focus on a specific faction you'll need to get about 9 golds, 15 silver, and 20 bronze, the shard cost of that would be 7200, 3000, 1000 respectively for a total of 11,200 shards per faction. To get that much shards with real money would take about 7 $70 card keg bundle purchases ($490) to basically just guarantee faction completion. That can be cut down a bit because you'll get other cards from that faction in those kegs, but it isn't really cut down as much as you might think. 1/20 kegs have a gold, there are 1/6 factions/neutral, and just say you can expect about that ratio of golds distributed. To guarantee a faction gold would take 120 kegs, and in those 120 keg purchases is enough shards to craft 2 more golds. 3 same faction golds per 2 $70 keg purchases ($140), would need 6 $70 keg purchases ($420) to get all of one faction's golds.

Again, I primarily focused on gold card attainment because that is the rarest so it is likely if you get those then you have all/most of the others. The numbers shouldn't be treated as fact, but more of a guideline, a high estimate, of what it would cost to get all cards and all of a single faction's cards using both a keg purchase method and a meteorite purchase method if it could be used to craft cards outright. Both ways would cost about $800 for the entire card collection. If we're given the option of crafting how we want then a faction could be completed for $120, whereas using kegs it would take as high as $420.

I don't know about you guys, but the numbers make me not even want to play the game anymore because I really just wanted to play as a specific faction or two (I choose who to play as by how much I like their look/style, not specific card power or top tier decks) and was willing to spend $120-$240 to be able to do that with meteorite dust. Knowing that I'll have to spend closer to $400 to get close to a faction completion (with the best luck) seems a bit too much. I think CDProjektRed should consider making meteorite dust like I thought it was before I started thinking about all of this so people could pick and choose the cards that they want using real money. OR if they don't want to do that then make faction specific kegs. With faction specific kegs we can expect to finish a faction collection in about 2 $70 keg bundle purchases ($140, 120 kegs) because golds are about 1/20 kegs so 3 per purchase and enough shards to create about 4 more golds. I'd even be okay with faction specific kegs, but then meteorite dust to make them animated. So a complete faction would cost about $140 and their animated version would be an additional $120 for a total cost of $260.

I guess one thing I hadn't factored in was the milling of other faction cards to create a specific faction's cards per keg. Per 60 kegs there are 300 cards. We can say about 50 faction cards per, probably a lot of dupes. 1/20 is gold, 1/10 is silver (this is just made up, I didn't research this, but should have low impact on the analysis), rest are bronze. 3 gold, 6 silver, 291 bronze. Gold Mill for 200, silver for 50, and bronze for 10-20 (I'll use 15). 600 max for milling gold, 300 for silver, and 4365 for bronze for a total of 5265 shards. Assume about 877 shards, or 1/6 worth are cards from the faction you don't want to mill. You'll still have 4388 shards to use for the faction you want to get. How does that change things? Well, that's 5 golds, plus the previous analysis said we should get about 3 same faction golds per 2 $70 keg purchases. So in 120 kegs we should have 3 same faction golds and about 8700 shards after milling other factions. (If you want to keep neutral cards then only about 7000 shards). That should be more than enough to craft all the faction's cards and multiples of the ones you might want multiples of.

I know the numbers are rough, but I'm pretty confident they're around the ballpark for what to expect. Now that I've worked through it I think you ACTUALLY CAN get an entire faction's card set for about $140 if you mill all other cards from the other factions (excluding neutral). To get all animated versions of that faction would take an additional $120.

The thread started out as a complaint about being difficult to get an isolated faction's card set because meteorite powder wasn't used the way that I thought it was. After working through the math it turns out that I think there was really nothing to complain about. The option to get a single faction is there for about the same cost that it would cost if meteorite powder worked the way I thought it did.

So in summary:

$840 can get the entire card collection.
$420 can get you an entire faction, out of your control on which one, without having to mill a lot of your other faction's cards.
$140 can get you an entire faction's set of cards if you mill all other faction cards (excluding neutral).

$800 can get you enough meteorite powder to animate an entire collection
$120 can get you around enough meteorite powder to animate an entire faction.

$1640 can get you an entire animated collection.

Last edited:
It seems bizarre to me that people would consider spending even a fraction of that money on a game where you can't possibly get any money back, and where the survivability of the game out of beta is in doubt because the team hasn't shown themselves to be adept at the (extremely difficult!) job of balancing a multifaction card game.

If you could just outright buy cards you want it would become pay to win.
Otherwise tl dr;

Also with this suggestion implemented the abuse of the refund system would skyrocket.

Ignotas;n8944180 said:
If you could just outright buy cards you want it would become pay to win.
Otherwise tl dr;

Also with this suggestion implemented the abuse of the refund system would skyrocket.

Well that's how the post started: me suggesting to be able to essentially buy cards using meteorite dust because I only wanted a specific faction. By the end of it it turns out that it was not a necessary request since a faction can be obtained for what it would cost to buy a faction's individual cards using meteorite dust anyway.

I don't know, consider doing dailies, rank rewards and lvl rewards. I am closing in with a complete collection with 100$ invested in the game (true, I have waited for a patch to hit with disenchanting my cards and I played in CB a lot), but it's really too much, I wasn't suspecting to finish this early. It will probably take a month more. Without my savings and all, it would probably mean three more months. Not that bad. Plus at some point, it is better to aim for the full collection instead of a faction one because you are not milling any non-double cards (milling non-doubles is super ineffective) and with full faction collection you will want to aim for more.

amoshias;n8944090 said:
It seems bizarre to me that people would consider spending even a fraction of that money on a game where you can't possibly get any money back, and where the survivability of the game out of beta is in doubt because the team hasn't shown themselves to be adept at the (extremely difficult!) job of balancing a multifaction card game.

Because of fun? You spend moneys on beer/cinema/hookers, why I cant spend some moneys on cool game, so I can play without grinding 24/7? What a stale thinking, u 70 y.o. or what? Sloth / unemployed / scrooge? If i have fun my moneys well wasted.

Also, CDPR is too kind to players. With all this ability to animate cards and mill them for 1600 scraps i have 17k scraps and all legendaryes i want with only investing like 50$. I hope they will make balance patches more often without any refunds to scrap beggars. HS died because balance patches hurt $ income.

Attachments

• fe7cb353d4.jpg
    fe7cb353d4.jpg
    29 KB · Views: 86
Last edited:
smergalaev;n8949980 said:
Because of fun? You spend moneys on beer/cinema/hookers, why I cant spend some moneys on cool game, so I can play without grinding 24/7? What a stale thinking, u 70 y.o. or what?

Also, CDPR is too kind to players. With all this ability to animate cards and mill them for 1600 scraps i have 17k scraps and all legendaryes i want with only investing like 50$. I hope they will make balance patches more often without any refunds to scrap beggars. HS died because balance patches hurt $ income.

LuL, that one gave me a giggle, beer to you mate!

A friendly reminder to not engage in personal attacks, even if it's meant to be sarcastic.

Seykan;n8949970 said:
I don't know, consider doing dailies, rank rewards and lvl rewards. I am closing in with a complete collection with 100$ invested in the game (true, I have waited for a patch to hit with disenchanting my cards and I played in CB a lot), but it's really too much, I wasn't suspecting to finish this early. It will probably take a month more. Without my savings and all, it would probably mean three more months. Not that bad. Plus at some point, it is better to aim for the full collection instead of a faction one because you are not milling any non-double cards (milling non-doubles is super ineffective) and with full faction collection you will want to aim for more.

You get a pretty big advantage coming in from closed beta. How many hours have you spent on Gwent overall? Playing 8 hours a day for a month is quite different from playing 1 or 2 hours.

MooshieMooshie;n8950140 said:
You get a pretty big advantage coming in from closed beta. How many hours have you spent on Gwent overall? Playing 8 hours a day for a month is quite different from playing 1 or 2 hours.

Okey, now I have 308hrs, but I'm nowhere near to playing 8hrs a day. I play daily doing 1st and 2nd tier dailies and when I don't have time I'm just doing 1st tier. Hardly ever I play more. So it's about 1,5hr a day. About CB, that's partially true, I had almost 70 kegs from it, but I had spent plenty of time on it. 70 kegs can be one month plus to the times I had stated before.

I've bought 7 kegs as a sign of support for the game and right now I'm around 50-60 cards away from the full collection...

There is special interest in collecting cards, not just buying them. Some people like the process of collecting (me too). As soon as whole collection is in my pocket I might start losing interest in this aspect of game. It could be boring to receive scraps and duplicates without any possibility to spend them. Etc.
Dunno how you guys feel it but I like the process of achieving. I can compare it to WoW where you can continue playing once you achieved top level and wear good stuff....but.... it is not that interesting anymore.

Somewhere there is a gaming company executive locked in his office spanking himself silly at the idea of someone who is going to come into the game, buy a bunch of virtual goods, then lose interest in the actual game (thus taking up zero additional resources.) The idea of spending real money on an ephemeral virtual collection is bizarre to me but to each his own!

smergalaev;n8949980 said:
Because of fun? You spend moneys on beer/cinema/hookers, why I cant spend some moneys on cool game, so I can play without grinding 24/7? What a stale thinking, u 70 y.o. or what? Sloth / unemployed / scrooge? If i have fun my moneys well wasted.

thank you!!!thats exactly what i was saying like 3 months ago,and everyone whined.with full refunds the devs will do less balance patches and the game will end up an unbalanced mess!

The use was clear from the beginning, it's used to UPGRADE your cards. Why can't you craft them directly with MP? Because at that point you would just purchase single cards, and that defy the reason why the put card kegs on the shop. Consider yourself lucky that you are allowed to transform the meteorite powder into scraps when there are nerfs, since you can upgrade the card and scrap it for full scrap price.

amoshias;n8944090 said:
The survivability of the game is in doubt only for trolls and hearthstone fanboys. The game is going steady and it will only get better with time and the improvements on UI and stuff.

pl91;n8953010 said:
thank you!!!thats exactly what i was saying like 3 months ago,and everyone whined.with full refunds the devs will do less balance patches and the game will end up an unbalanced mess!
And it remains a stupid idea (no offense). The damage you get from negative feedback and players leaving because you destroyed their deck and collection with no refunds would be fatal for the game.

DMaster2;n8953720 said:
And it remains a stupid idea (no offense). The damage you get from negative feedback and players leaving because you destroyed their deck and collection with no refunds would be fatal for the game.
Do you understand difference between balancing and destroying?

smergalaev;n8954340 said:
Do you understand difference between balancing and destroying?
I do. And do you know the difference between tier 1 and tier 3 deck? People craft tier 1 decks (borderline OP), and aren't happy if they are left with a tier 3 deck (average and balanced) with no refund. You have your example with this patch, calveit nilfgaard. Without the refunds ton of people would've left the game since they'd basically have to start anew to get a good ladder deck.

There is a reason why EVERY f2p ccg use a refund system. Jeez why people don't use their brain for once?

Top Bottom