Mill decks in Homecoming

+
I played against a guy a couple of days ago who managed to mill my entire deck to zero in round 2 when I had 7 cards left. auto-lose. and I didnt even play thinning cards iirc
Once you realise you play against a milling deck it's relatively easy to beat. Their cards are expensive and not very powerful. Normally if you win Round 1, throw everything you can in Round 2 and high chance it will not even get to Round 3.

Once you realise you play against a milling deck it's relatively easy to beat. Their cards are expensive and not very powerful. Normally if you win Round 1, throw everything you can in Round 2 and high chance it will not even get to Round 3.

I would really like to know how those mill decks look like everybody is talking about; and what exactly is exensive in them. I am totally excited to try it out, maybe even trigger a mill hate thread; crying about NG seems to be in right now.

PS: sorry for the offtopic but mill seems to keep popping up here again and again and I can't make new threads yet :p

I would really like to know how those mill decks look like everybody is talking about; and what exactly is exensive in them. I am totally excited to try it out, maybe even trigger a mill hate thread; crying about NG seems to be in right now.

PS: sorry for the offtopic but mill seems to keep popping up here again and again and I can't make new threads yet :p
Mill is probably last archetype where you play in an unique, smart way. Most decks are the same, just stright up boost/ damage. In mill you try to gain advantage of cards for round 3 by milling all of opponents deck, so they don't draw any cards and you draw 3 when moving to round 3. But it never happens.
Fortunately enough, using Vilgefortz and Emhyr in this deck allows to win sometimes when opponent is completely lost or abuses Thin.

Basically the core of the deck looks like this -

Leader Ability: Emhyr/Tactical Withdrawal.

Gold Package: Operator to create an extra Viper Witcher for you and your opponent. Yours can be picked up with your leader ability so it actually does what its's supposed to do. Damien to reactivate Emhyr's ability/Tactical Withdrawal. Trahaearn Var Vdrfyyr to potentially mill another important card. Canterella - we all know what she does. Maybe Vilgefortz (played offensively) and ALBAAAA!!!!! just draw some more cards out of the deck.

Bronze Package: Viper Witcher to banish a card. Duchess' Informant to clone copies from the VW created on the opponent's side of the board. Courier to place cards at the top of the opponent's deck. This enables VW to perform targetted removal of key cards if they happen to be in the top 3. Experimental Remedy to resurrect the Viper Witcher in your opponent's graveyard and a Duchess' Informant.

Have fun building and please accept the customary wishes of ill-will and poor health traditionally offered to blue control/mill players everywhere ;)

Mill discussion was completely derailing a different thread so I moved those posts to a new thread. Feel free to continue the discussion in this thread.
The quote in the first post comes from here.

Thank you for the extra thread now we have 3 NG threads yay. Lets all cry about control to give me ideas :D

Basically the core of the deck looks like this -

Leader Ability: Emhyr/Tactical Withdrawal.

Gold Package: Operator to create an extra Viper Witcher for you and your opponent. Yours can be picked up with your leader ability so it actually does what its's supposed to do. Damien to reactivate Emhyr's ability/Tactical Withdrawal. Trahaearn Var Vdrfyyr to potentially mill another important card. Canterella - we all know what she does. Maybe Vilgefortz (played offensively) and ALBAAAA!!!!! just draw some more cards out of the deck.

Bronze Package: Viper Witcher to banish a card. Duchess' Informant to clone copies from the VW created on the opponent's side of the board. Courier to place cards at the top of the opponent's deck. This enables VW to perform targetted removal of key cards if they happen to be in the top 3. Experimental Remedy to resurrect the Viper Witcher in your opponent's graveyard and a Duchess' Informant.

Have fun building and please accept the customary wishes of ill-will and poor health traditionally offered to blue control/mill players everywhere ;)

Thank you for your post Evangium. I understand the tradition of frustration card destruction can create but I just like alternatives to winconditions.
I see now the issue too that mill has: Operator. Its very expensive for basically 5 points and a risky summon that can be contered. Duchess Informant and Experimental remedy are not available for deck destruction when the combo fails, so not only is Operator expensive but also a bit too important for a single card in a deck.
This wont hold me back to experiment with mill in the future. I had a slightly different picture how that gold package would look like.

Still maybe just maybe a few reverse size/unit swap units/specials in NG could make this type of deck more consistant or an NG excusive Operator. That could support assimilate too.
Maybe with the next release or when seize is reworked?

Thank you for your post Evangium. I understand the tradition of frustration card destruction can create but I just like alternatives to winconditions.
I see now the issue too that mill has: Operator. Its very expensive for basically 5 points and a risky summon that can be contered. Duchess Informant and Experimental remedy are not available for deck destruction when the combo fails, so not only is Operator expensive but also a bit too important for a single card in a deck.
This wont hold me back to experiment with mill in the future. I had a slightly different picture how that gold package would look like.
You're Welcome Anima_13. Mill is in an interesting place with Gwent. It's not really an archetype that has a place in Gwent, given that draw is more connected to card advantage, and mill is quite limited with cards that move the opponent's library to their graveyard or exile. However the overabundance of value generating tutors and create cards actually make a mechanic like mill necessary to counter it.

Still maybe just maybe a few reverse size/unit swap units/specials in NG could make this type of deck more consistant or an NG excusive Operator. That could support assimilate too.
Maybe with the next release or when seize is reworked?
Possibly. Seize/enslave is probably more unpopular with the community than mill will ever be. I won't be surprised if that mechanic is drastically depowered at some point in the future, or even becomes an exchange a unit with your opponent ability. That would certainly enable safer Viper Witcher/mill card cloning (assuming no changes are made to those cards).

I'm not familiar with DrDenuz's version of mill that Imm0rtaleflame mentioned, but I'm sure Operator could easily be replaced with Artorius Vigo, who can produce a 1 point version of a Viper Witcher and has assimilate synergy. Decoy is another card that, when used with fetch card of your choosing abilities, also enables at least one extra replay of a VW. In the card draw department, we have both Isbel of Hagge and Stregobor. Isbel is probably the better of the two snce she enables both choice and uncounterable play for 8 provisions, compared to Stregobor's lockable 9.

Heheheeh. You gave me a half hour long chuckle. Thanx for that. :giggle::giggle:
You're welcome. Glad to see humour appreciated :)

Last edited:
Operator isn't necesary for Milldecks, in fact it's a 10 points to waste 1 card. Vigo is much better to do that.

Why does Isbel have such an insane crafing cost? At least in card comparison department she feels weaker compared to Stregobor . Sure she can allow me to put a card in my opponents hand and work like a pseudo operator (but why would my opponent play that card and help me?) but she is just one card draw, while Stregobor keeps drawing cards forever. Is it the release? Or just because she is a witch? :D

Also on a related matter: What happens when forced card draw mechanics manage to excede 10 cards in hand? Do cards get destroyed? At least in theory 6 Stregobors on field are possible (in a mirror, with Letho and Dudu) to test it :D.

Top Bottom