[MOD - advice needed] Replacing W3 head with W2 head

+
-The_Crasher-;n7370180 said:
I haven't nodded W3 in a month or so, so I need some filling in with the names.

Ambient maps are the ones that have the orange, and green on the face textures, right?

By the way, you should pm me that texture instead, because I can see Geralt's penis... :uma:

Yeap. That's the type. PM-ing you now.

Been trying to get the rigging right between the head and body/torso but it seems there's some additional mesh element that gets added when the model is loaded into the game.

I went into Blender and raised the torso and head meshes along the Z axis and successfully managed to cover up that brown object but now the eyes are at cheek level and the teeth clip through the chin...getting this in is proving a lot trickier than anticipated.

Yeah, I think that was added to fix any neck seam issues, I'm pretty sure the mesh can be removed by deleting it all together.

By the way, I highly recommend CrazyBump for making custom normal maps (if necessary, there are plenty of usable W2 normals already)

Last edited:
-The_Crasher-;n7374480 said:
Yeah, I think that was added to fix any neck seam issues, I'm pretty sure the mesh can be removed by deleting it all together.

By the way, I highly recommend CrazyBump for making custom normal maps (if necessary, there are plenty of usable W2 normals already)

Roger that. Only problem is that I don't know what it is, what it's called and why in blazes it gets added to my mesh when loading the game up. It seems to sit right underneath the vanilla neck & upper torso sections of the mesh and it stays there even when newer body and head meshes are brought in.

I'll keep tinkering around, see if I can find a way around it. Am thinking of:

a) using Sarcen's editor on the cooked mod to see if there's anything else crammed in along with my LOD0 mesh when cooked

b) load the new head mesh into blender with the vanilla body, adjust the head's neck vertices to match the vanilla body's neckline, remove the vanilla body, bring the W2 body up and adjust its neckline vertices after the W2 head mesh's ones...scratching my head the other way around but might help with getting over this freakin' brown blob thing

EDIT: nice thing about the new head mesh is that the previous sharp neck edge is gone so the it's smooth this time around.

Last edited:
-The_Crasher-;n7376200 said:
New head mesh? Where is it located? The is only one in W2's files for me.

I found some iClone mesh of W2 Geralt and that seems to have been exported in some other way than with the W2converter tool I used because the head mesh is a lot smoother; neck is also smooth, without that nasty edge.

I managed to convert it to an OBJ file using 3DXchange but it used a 90 degree angle T-pose so I had to put in some work just to scale it right and get it into the approximate T-pose the W3 meshes use (more relaxed, almost 45 degree angle between torso and arms).

Tried exporting straight from REDkit but meshes don't work (at least not for me) however textures do so I had to find another way to get my hands on the body. When exporting with W2converter tool, Geralt's body is the only mesh that crashes the tool..ffs

Right, so I finally managed to get rid of the neckline clipping and it looks good now. It's not perfect but I'll just add a Subdivision Surface modifier when the final version's ready and it'll look a whole lot smoother.

Next on my list:

- re-rig the face to eliminate clipping and eyelids issues
- rig the W2 hands/palms to the body so that clipping is minimum / removed
- fix the UV map to get rid of the Hairline issues

Happy New Year guys & gals! :)

Using some nasty UV hackaxe methods, i somewhat managed to get the hairline to match the Vanilla one so the head should now work fine with Vanilla hairstyles.

Just when I thought things were getting a little better, I realized that several in-game armors / clothing articles have the Vanilla chest and forearms baked into the mesh itself ...so in order to get this mesh working right in-game, those will need editing as well...why couldn't those clothes have been overlayed?? :(

Them eyelids, I can't seem to get them right no matter what I do so I'm not sure if I'll get to spend too much time on them seeing how I'm back to work 2 days from now.

TudorAdrian;n7389290 said:
Just when I thought things were getting a little better, I realized that several in-game armors / clothing articles have the Vanilla chest and forearms baked into the mesh itself ...so in order to get this mesh working right in-game, those will need editing as well...why couldn't those clothes have been overlayed?? :(

I'm guessing that they wanted to save on resources, and also fix the whole "I have layered clothes and I must scream" syndrome. (when the skin peeks through the clothing layer, a famous example is THAT scene from Hitman: Absolution)

By the way, how does that UV map fixed head look with the W2 hair?

Last edited:
-The_Crasher-;n7390270 said:
I'm guessing that they wanted to save on resources, and also fix the whole "I have layered clothes and I must scream" syndrome. (when the skin peeks through the clothing layer, a famous example is THAT scene from Hitman: Absolution)

By the way, how does that UV map fixed head look with the W2 hair?

sigh...yeah, I know what you mean. Gonna require a lot more work to get those armors right too..

I haven't tested the W2 hair yet; all my efforts were put into re-making the mod but I'll get to re-cooking those new textures you sent across these days. They're on my TO-DO list (which keeps getting longer instead of shorter - ironically - even as I manage to tick some items off my list)

I've tried putting together a list of armors that need to be re-done (faces that contain Vanilla body elements removed and replaced with W2 body elements) and these would be the ones I can think of:

- Feline (Basic): arms and hands are in clear sight
- Ursine (Basic): left forearm and hands are in clear sight
- Wolven (Basic): forearms and hands are in clear sight
- Plain white shirt: chest, forearms and hands are in clear sight
- Ornate robe (Hearts of Stone): chest, forearms and hands are in clear sight

If anybody else can think of some other sets that I overlooked please post them in here. I'll try to get them done as well.

Going to have to redo the width of Vanilla hair crown meshes; they're a bit too wide and there's a small gap between the W2 head mesh and the vanilla hairstyles..this might mean that if other hairstyle mods are used, that gap will be seen albeit it's somewhat narrow but it's there.

Hm.

It looks kind of odd with the new hairline, I'm not saying it looks bad at all, it looks great on the W3 hairstyles.

I think it would be advisable to make an optional second file with the old hairline too, for the people who would like the vanilla textures.

I have noticed that there is less detail on the scar above Geralt's right eye (the horizontal one), it seems to be lacking the polygon detail.

Besides that, everything else is fantastic!

-The_Crasher-;n7391620 said:
Hm.

It looks kind of odd with the new hairline, I'm not saying it looks bad at all, it looks great on the W3 hairstyles.

I think it would be advisable to make an optional second file with the old hairline too, for the people who would like the vanilla textures.

I have noticed that there is less detail on the scar above Geralt's right eye (the horizontal one), it seems to be lacking the polygon detail.

Besides that, everything else is fantastic!

It does, that's what my initial feeling was like so I'll probably do things this way around.

Hey guys,

Version 2.0 of this mod is now public: http://www.nexusmods.com/witcher3/mods/2041/?

It includes:

- new meshes for the head, torso and hands
- narrower meshes for the hairstyles (so that they stick to the head)
- an optional fixed hairline UV map so that the vanilla hairstyles no longer conflict with Witcher 2's Geralt hairline
- new meshes for 6 armor sets which include body or torso parts; I had to replace them because they weren't lining up with the head's neckline or the wrists
- new versions of the Rivian ponytail style as seen in Witcher 2 (one vanilla white and another one a bit more grey)
- an optional download for a more grey hair color
- new shaved ponytail hairstyles as seen in the Witcher 2 (HD Remake and Vanilla HD textures by none other than -The_Crasher- )
- an optional Witcher 2 shaved ponytail hairstyle including the above HD Remake textures but with vanilla Witcher 3 shaved sides (higher poly count/detail); depending on the hair color version you're using, the shaved sides will either be towards vanilla white or a bit more grey.

I'll be leaving this as is for a while now (have a lot on my plate at work and personal matters). Hope you guys enjoy it!

:cheers:

Top Bottom