Monster Deck Ability simply too powerful

+
Monster Deck Ability simply too powerful

Keeping a non-Gold Neutral or Monsters unit on your side at the end of each round is too powerful compared to other faction deck abilities.

Northern Realms gets 2 strength for each Gold unit - great, but early days in the game you don't have many (any?) gold units other than Geralt for those in the beta.

Scoia'tael gets to control who begins one round - I'm sure this can be useful but it seems the worst of the factions.

Skellige adds 1 to base strength of every non-Gold in hand, deck, and graveyard - this seems very powerful as well, but still not as powerful as monsters.

Card advantage is so important in this game and keeping a unit for both rounds means card advantage for both rounds for monsters. People are playing decks with adrenaline rush and getting the default ability to result in sometimes 20+ strength on the first round of the game. There is no equivalent across the other factions. Even if you have all 4 gold and can get them into play in a single game that is only 8 strength boost for NR. Scoia'tael has nothing close to it, and Skellige might be able to offset in terms of points it would require significant card outlay to do so. Admittedly there can be situations where it backfires on monster players, like when they keep a foglet and the fog goes away some they get nothing, but in the majority of games I've seen this is not a problem. How many games have you played where the monster player drops Eredin, then passes? They give up the first game for a significant advantage in the second. And even if they play a couple cards before dropping Eredin it is hard for the other player because at that point they may actually have a worse card disadvantage, especially if they already lost the first game and have no choice but to win 2 and 3.

Please look at re-working the faction abilities because they do not seem comparable to me. I'm not saying they necessarily force a particular play style, but there seems to be a great discrepancy in terms of outcome for the abilities.

Give me a break,every monster user knows that abillity is too random and useless and now i see posts like this,omg.What is so op about that abillity dude? Most of the times we get foglets or wolves from the Woodland Spirit or some other random useless monster.When we get something that is actually useful is like Christmas or smth.U have a problem with Eredin in the 1st round and pass? Most ppl play Eredin + Geralt or Ciri and since the monster faction got nerfed now and we can't keep golden cards anymore,all u have to do is scourch Eredin and play something to beat only the golden card,and the monster player looses 1 gold card and the lider abillity at the end of the turn.The fact that u can't beat that combo says more about your skill as a player rather than the abillity being OP.What faction do u play? I'll tell u 2-3 combos to beat that opening and win the game only in this thread.

Last edited:
Funny how you diss the Scoia ability while then going on and stress how powerful card advantage is.

Yeah the Woodland Spirit and weather spam are pretty annoying. Anyway people have been complaining too much about monsters deck recently so I guess it will soon be nerfed. Keep holding on my NR fellows haha.

Nr is already weak now too and they plan to nerf promote which is the only thing keeping them competitive.

Monsters is not that good either, but because so many low level players complain about it, it will probably be nerfed to oblivion as well.

So brace yourselves, future holds only skellige and scoiatael.

srcleaves;n7026030 said:
Northern Realms gets 2 strength for each Gold unit - great, but early days in the game you don't have many (any?) gold units other than Geralt for those in the beta.

You do know that NR main "gimmick" is their ability to change non-gold card to gold ? that's the only faction where you can literally have hundreds of cards on board (and no I am not exaggerating)

I would say that it's definitely the most powerful faction ability because it synergize so well with the faction main strength.

Monster strength on the other side is very situational, it's only reliable if you only have a single monster on the board otherwise it's pure random and you never know what you will get our of it, can be a 10STR Manticore but it could also be an 0 STR foglet.

Monsters keep 1 unit but it's completely random.
I've had Foglets stick around only to see them die the moment the fog effect was removed between rounds
Ofc, playing Ciri + a big non-gold unit and then passing is a nice strategy. (tip: try to kill/weaken the non-gold unit and win the round)

KaynOfNosgoth;n7029820 said:
Well if they keep nerfing everything based on low level player feedback then this game has no future.

But they will. They already stated that they will nerf promote. The combo buff ->adrenaline -> promote is easy counterable, but yet a lot of low lvls/newbies complain about, so they will nerf it.

No Title

Laveley;n7037050 said:
But they will. They already stated that they will nerf promote. The combo buff ->adrenaline -> promote is easy counterable, but yet a lot of low lvls/newbies complain about, so they will nerf it.

Would a promote nerf not make that Fatso Henselt useless? RIP henselt didn't like you in Witcher 2 but your ability was pretty cool.

Attachments

• photo81360.jpg
    photo81360.jpg
    191.1 KB · Views: 88
gamingdevil800;n7037120 said:
Would a promote nerf not make that Fatso Henselt useless? RIP henselt didn't like you in Witcher 2 but your ability was pretty cool.

Depending on what will be the nerf, not just henselt but the whole faction. Even radovid control relies more or less on promote mechanics.

The Monster faction ability is not OP at all, if you think it is too strong then you must not be very good at the game or very knowledgeable on the game. Also if you think they are going to change it because some noobs think its OP then good luck, its the same faction ability as it was in Witcher 3 and I'm guessing that they would like to keep the game somewhat similar to the vanilla version.

At this moment, monster deck is the "newbie killer", when I was below 20, I win many games with monster and 80% time played against monster (which is kinda boring). Now around lvl 50, monster is no longer OP and not a lot players use it at all. I would even say that gwent only start to be funny after you reach 40

merleauwang;n7042360 said:
At this moment, monster deck is the "newbie killer", when I was below 20, I win many games with monster and 80% time played against monster (which is kinda boring). Now around lvl 50, monster is no longer OP and not a lot players use it at all. I would even say that gwent only start to be funny after you reach 40

Totally agree. I'm lvl 60 myself and IMO the monsters faction in one of the weakest, if not the weakest faction of the game. The main reason is card advantage. You can have eredin, caretaker, woodland spirit, carantir, spam weather through all the board, you name it: card advantage is king. A single post pass d-bomb can counter pretty much anything that a monster deck can do.

My first post here ... Im my very humble opinion I find the Monsters not OP at all, rather very high on synergy and really fun to play against. I would rather see that all other factions get boosted with more synergy options than seeing cards/factions nerfed to the ground. Ofcourse this is still a beta and I'm sure they will figure it out by the time this game goes public.

Laveley;n7043060 said:
The main reason is card advantage.

True. That is why it is hard to prepare monster deck which can deal with the card advantage of other factions. Monster were very strong at the beginning. Now they are hard to play and not many players use it.

I saved some stats (but very general) and now it looks like players are divided as below:

NR - 45%
M - 10%
Sc - 20%
Sk - 25%

Of course the results can depend on faction I play, but we do not know that.

The most Monster player playing weather or breeding strategies. So i think that the ability can't be so strong, when everybody used a strategies that don't work well with the realm ability.

Keymaker7;n7073080 said:
I saved some stats (but very general) and now it looks like players are divided as below:

NR - 45%
M - 10%
Sc - 20%
Sk - 25%
As a lover of numbers, I would really prefer it if you would add the rather relevant additional data:

- how big is your sample?
- over how many days did you collect it?

The pretty and round percentages give me the impression that "these are the 20 matches I had yesterday"; and, sorry to say this, 20 matches of 1 day are not really particularly representative.

Top Bottom