Multiculturalism in Cyberpunk

+
I saw an article(a garbage article) from 2 or 3 days ago and its author was trying to clickbait by saying that many cp-like films like bladerunner appropriate asian cultures and so on(He showed that not only he doesn't have a clue what CP is, but also that he doesn't know what he's talking about). But I saw a comment that I think(imho) captures the essence of CP perfectly and I wanted to share it here.
"Before writing a lengthy article some research may help. The Cyberpunk world is also about appropriation. Its a giant melting pot of cultures and corporations ready to explode..You have gangs that all look like Star Trek Spock and Kirk, you have gangs that all look like Marilyn Monroe. The language on the street is a mix of Spanish, Chinese and English. The Suburb in the Game Trailer I believe is Westbrook, Night City and it is a Japanese orientated Tourist trap."
What he described is what I think makes the universe so enthralling and authentic(same with bladerunner), but more so Cyberpunk( the scene where the big guy is eating ramen with chopsticks, the robot-samurai logo, people speaking japanese and so on.) If anyone cares, I would like to hear your opinions on the melding of different cultures in CP.
PS This is not meant to be political whatsoever.

I think it's okay to share one's culture, but to have somebody to exploit it I think that's where culture suffers.

Its basically if punk got the attention of businessmen and they whored it as a new mainstream product.

As for the op, that's the dangerous part of blog-like journalism in the real world where impulse takes a front seat and research is tossed at the back.
Post automatically merged:

But I would love to see some odd groups within the game, like, The I Love Lucy gang or The Gender Swap Sonic The Hedge Hog gang. Something that would make the world colorful, eccentric, and rich with characters. Maybe more closely (and realistically) to the game where we get to see dangerous and devoted Lizzy Wizzy crews

Last edited:
since night city takes place in close proximity to LA i would love an Armenian-Persian-Jew mob crew.

I'm for all multiculturalism , homewhever..I also would love if we could hear (Japanese , chinese , mandarin..etc) and not just see Asian speak english .
You could actually hear the scavengers in the demo talking in russian, only the subtitles above them were in english. I hope they do this kind of thing with lots of npc's. Maybe even have dialogues with people speaking foreign language, and you have some kind of translator implant that shows you the translation.

I believe they've confirmed the option to have your character be gay, go for one-night stands, etc.
However, some people you can't kill due to the story being wrecked if you did.
I think what I'll do is just roll netrunner, put all my points in straight Cool then make my companion do all the work lol.

Cultures appear apparent and Diverse in the gameplay demo
Post automatically merged:

I believe they've confirmed the option to have your character be gay, go for one-night stands, etc.
However, some people you can't kill due to the story being wrecked if you did.

It would seem rather Strange queer

Cultural appropriation, as a concept, is doublethink. I really believe that the people trying to implement that kind of reasoning just want any features from other cultures erased, not to be borrowed. I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating what you like from other cultures. Like, who's offended if a black guy has kanji tattooed on or a hispanic girl has egyptian figurines and papyrus decorating her house? They're into japanese and egyptian cultures respectively, like... what's the alternative? Like, is anyone at all allowed to enjoy things from other cultures?

Or, is it wrong if I like adapting dishes from other countries?

Cultural appropriation, as a concept, is doublethink. I really believe that the people trying to implement that kind of reasoning just want any features from other cultures erased, not to be borrowed. I don't think there's anything wrong with celebrating what you like from other cultures. Like, who's offended if a black guy has kanji tattooed on or a hispanic girl has egyptian figurines and papyrus decorating her house? They're into japanese and egyptian cultures respectively, like... what's the alternative? Like, is anyone at all allowed to enjoy things from other cultures?

This. A thousand times this. (y)

Based on the examples you give I can see why you think it is doublethink, because honestly anyone regardless of race/creed/etc should be able to have tattoos, food, etc they want and not be criticized as appropriating, just as people should be able to enjoy something without their demographic being pigeonholed into a stereotype.

These concepts are nuanced, but ultimately boil down to sincerity, do you appreciate the clothing of historic japan or do you just want to dress up like a geisha without knowing anything about it because it is exotic and you can talk/walk "funny", is your "American Cafe" just selling cheeseburgers and apple pie because you want to share your two favorite american dishes with your area or because its funny to eat like a fat american stereotype? Appreciating and celebrating different cultures makes "foreign" cultures & the people less foreign, while appropriation is taking or cheapening the elements while making the people into charicatures or worsening their outsider status.

People get over offended about everything, just as I'm sure I've triggered a handful of people because I'm being "a crazy SJW" or whatever, just because some people are too judgy and/or blew something way out of proportion doesn't mean the non-exaggerated concept applied sensibly and for education instead of condemnation doesn't hold value.

No one person (or even a group) can ”cheapen” a whole culture or ”worsen its what-ever status”. Even if representing it through parody (malice involved or not).

What does that is the constant and overly sensitive reaction from the certain circles (outsiders and insiders alike) who paint those people collectively as emotionally fragile and sickly in their pride. Which of course is never true, and as the majority of the subject matter doesn’t give two fucks about the whole thing, only these certain ”hurt” voices are out there in the public (social media etc).

No one person (or even a group) can ”cheapen” a whole culture or ”worsen its what-ever status”. Even if representing it through parody (malice involved or not).

What does that is the constant and overly sensitive reaction from the certain circles (outsiders and insiders alike) who paint those people collectively as emotionally fragile and sickly in their pride. Which of course is never true, and as the majority of the subject matter doesn’t give two fucks about the whole thing, only these certain ”hurt” voices are out there in the public (social media etc).
I'll give you that the white-knighting and such is just as damaging, but whatever I'm asking for an appreciation for nuance and not just boiling down everything into an overly simplistic binary... yep people are super simple & mass collections of people are even simpler, any claim that a network of millions of interactions between individuals has any level of complexity is just the tyranny of intellectualism.

Let Us Now Return To The Topic Of Cyberpunk and Multiculturism. Thank You.

And that means how it affects or should affect CP2077.

I must say, though, that this civilized, adult discussion is a breath of nice air on These Internets.

But still. Before my Masters clamp down and before someone (other than me) ruins everything...

to Cyberpunk!

Top Bottom