New Leader Ideas

+
New Leader Ideas

Since we got a lot of new cards with the patch, I'm hoping we get new leaders soon as well. So feel free to suggest what new leader abilities you'd like to see. I've come up with a few:

- Monsters - Beast of Beauclair - Strength 0 (It would depend on what you play)
Deploy: Use Dettlaff or Dettlaff: Higher Vampire.
Dettlaff, Strength 4 - Deploy: Strengthen all Deathwish cards by 1 and trigger the Deathwish of 2 Bronze Allies.
Dettlaff: Higher Vampire, Strength 6 - Deploy: Destroy a unit on the opposite side of the board with 6 or less power and boost self by 1 by the amount of Deathwish units on your side of the board and in your hand.

If CDPR were to add more vampire cards, then his ability would be changed to support the Vampire archetype instead of Deathwish. I feel like this ability is way too complicated but it would very fun to use.

- Northern Realms - Esterad Thyssen - Strength 2
Deploy: Select a Bronze or Silver Northern Realms Ally and trigger it's Deploy ability. Repeat Deploy ability.
Crewman: 1

I think this leader would fit well with any Northern Realms archetype.

- Nilfgaard - Anna Henrietta - Strength 4
Deploy: Draw your top 3 loyal units from your deck, play 1 and then move 2 units from your hand into the top of your deck.

The first unit that is selected when you move them back into your deck, will the next unit you draw.

- Skellige - Erlend the Stonefist - Strength 4 to 8 by the third round.
Deploy - Select 3 units, if they are Allies strengthen them by 3 and damage them by 1. If they're enemies, weaken them by 2 (ignoring armor.)
Veteran: 2

- Scoia'tael - Filavandrel - Strength 6
Deploy: Gain a shield and Boost 4 units on your side by 2, if it's a Dwarf Strengthen by 2 instead.
Passive: Every turn, at the start of your turn, Boost 2 Allies in your hand by 1.

Last edited:
You've obviously spent a lot of time thinking about these. Well done. For the most part, I would consider them reasonably balanced too. The Niflgaard one is a little too similar to one of the other leaders imho.

Lornick77;n9465171 said:
You've obviously spent a lot of time thinking about these. Well done. For the most part, I would consider them reasonably balanced too. The Niflgaard one is a little too similar to one of the other leaders imho.

I agree, but it was either that or "Resurrect a Bronze or Silver spy unit from either Graveyard." Which I think would fit better on a Gold card instead of a leader so.. I'm sure somebody can come up with a better ability.

Great ideas. I would love to see Esterad Thyssen because I really like the character and the Gwent card from The Witcher 3.

Anna Henrietta seems like a great leader too, although CDPR have said they are going to introduce new factions into the game, and I think "The Duchy of Toussaint" seems like a strong possibility so she would probably make the best choice to be a leader for them.

Also, "Kovir and Poviss" could perhaps be a faction?

HoneyVadger;n9465551 said:
Great ideas. I would love to see Esterad Thyssen because I really like the character and the Gwent card from The Witcher 3.

Anna Henrietta seems like a great leader too, although CDPR have said they are going to introduce new factions into the game, and I think "The Duchy of Toussaint" seems like a strong possibility so she would probably make the best choice to be a leader for them.

Also, "Kovir and Poviss" could perhaps be a faction?

I heard Zerrakania or something could be a faction. Hmmm but isn't The Duchy part of Nilfgaard? Thanks btw. I'm not really familiar with a lot of the Witcher lore so :/

I think I read somewhere that detlaff and Anna are going to be the next leaders but no new factions at least not at this time

TheEpicWhale;n9466271 said:
I dont think the ST needs the passive ability though. She is already good for 14 power and shielded.

I guess so, she would also boost even more if it was was played with those two new cards that get boosted whenever you boost something. Can't recall their names lol.

OG.laloquaint;n9465131 said:
- Nilfgaard - Anna Henrietta - Strength 2 Deploy: Draw your top 3 loyal units from your deck, play 1 and then move 2 units from your hand into the top of your deck.
The first unit that is selected when you move them back into your deck, will the next unit you draw.

How about:
(3 power) - Deploy: Choose a Bronze or Silver enemy. If it's spying, strengthen it by 10, then choose a Bronze or Silver card anywhere on your side and create a base copy of that card in your hand. If the chosen enemy isn't spying, toggle its spying token, then spawn a base copy of it on your side.
(Anywhere on your side includes your hand, deck, graveyard, and units on your side of the board.)

The idea is to spawn cards, and also to make a leader with a "spy" effect. Her power should not be any lower since Cahir is a card, but how much she strengthens a spy is variable. There's a leader already in the game that can act as a "spy" effect, which is Brouver. He's a -8 points play if he pulls Yaevinn. Also, Skjall that pulls Udalryk is a -7 points play. How much negative points she yields for her "spy" effect should be good enough considering she is a leader, and of course this should not be compared directly with regular spies. Also, her "spy" effect requires that you already put a spy on your opponent's side.

OG.laloquaint;n9465131 said:
- Northern Realms - Esterad Thyssen - Strength 3 Deploy: Select a Bronze or Silver Ally and trigger it's Deploy ability. Repeat Deploy ability.
Crewman: 1

So, more Prince Stennis, Sile de Tansarvile, Margarita, and Dethmold. I don't know about Pavetta though. Then there is Operator and Dorregaray as well. Obviously Henselt is better for Bronzes. Let's say 2x Stennis brings 2 bronzes with 10 points each, it would yield with 23 points play. Choosing Sile into 2x Thunderbolt Potions can yield 21 points. Just choosing Dethmold for 2x thunder yield 17 points. Then, how about this:

(1 power) - Deploy: Choose an ally which is not spying and not locked, then trigger its Deploy ability. If you chose a Gold unit, boost self by its power. If you chose a Bronze or Silver unit, trigger its Deploy ability again. Crewman: 2.

I don't see any issue with triggering Gold units' deploy abilities once, I even added more effect if it target golds. That is because 2x triggering silvers can be better even if he only has 1 power, and leaders are supposed to have slightly better value than regular golds (imo). He don't have much flexibility if his prime targets are only silvers. Also, not spying and not locked both solve the issue of triggering enemy silver spies which would net in 2 free cards, and locking the spy token should not go through that limitation since drawing 2 cards for free is ridiculous. Lastly, Crewman 2 for triggering bronze machines, still an okay value. He can die easily to most things, so I think it's fine.

I don't know whether those would fit lore-wise though, I know very little of the witcher lore.

For Filavandrel, isn't hand-buff or deck-buff would fit better? Buffing things on board is not really scoiatael thing in my opinion. Making it strengthen might make it better as well.

Last edited:
overcold_ice;n9475801 said:
How about:
(3 power) - Deploy: Choose a Bronze or Silver enemy. If it's spying, strengthen it by 10, then choose a Bronze or Silver card anywhere on your side and create a base copy of that card in your hand. If the chosen enemy isn't spying, toggle its spying token, then spawn a base copy of it on your side.
(Anywhere on your side includes your hand, deck, graveyard, and units on your side of the board.)

The idea is to spawn cards, and also to make a leader with a "spy" effect. Her power should not be any lower since Cahir is a card, but how much she strengthens a spy is variable. There's a leader already in the game that can act as a "spy" effect, which is Brouver. He's a -8 points play if he pulls Yaevinn. Also, Skjall that pulls Udalryk is a -7 points play. How much negative points she yields for her "spy" effect should be good enough considering she is a leader, and of course this should not be compared directly with regular spies. Also, her "spy" effect requires that you already put a spy on your opponent's side.

So, more Prince Stennis, Sile de Tansarvile, Margarita, and Dethmold. I don't know about Pavetta though. Then there is Operator and Dorregaray as well. Obviously Henselt is better for Bronzes. Let's say 2x Stennis brings 2 bronzes with 10 points each, it would yield with 23 points play. Choosing Sile into 2x Thunderbolt Potions can yield 21 points. Just choosing Dethmold for 2x thunder yield 17 points. Then, how about this:

(1 power) - Deploy: Choose an ally which is not spying and not locked, then trigger its Deploy ability. If you chose a Gold unit, boost self by its power. If you chose a Bronze or Silver unit, trigger its Deploy ability again. Crewman: 2.

I don't see any issue with triggering Gold units' deploy abilities once, I even added more effect if it target golds. That is because 2x triggering silvers can be better even if he only has 1 power, and leaders are supposed to have slightly better value than regular golds (imo). He don't have much flexibility if his prime targets are only silvers. Also, not spying and not locked both solve the issue of triggering enemy silver spies which would net in 2 free cards, and locking the spy token should not go through that limitation since drawing 2 cards for free is ridiculous. Lastly, Crewman 2 for triggering bronze machines, still an okay value. He can die easily to most things, so I think it's fine.

I don't know whether those would fit lore-wise though, I know very little of the witcher lore.

For Filavandrel, isn't hand-buff or deck-buff would fit better? Buffing things on board is not really scoiatael thing in my opinion. Making it strengthen might make it better as well.

1.- Why would you want to Strengthen a Spy by 10? So you play her and you give your opponent 10 points? That ability makes no sense to me, I don't think it would work. I would like her to be the "Spy" leader but maybe I'm not understanding your version right.

2.- As for Esterad Thyssen, to stop him from triggering Neutral Silvers and Silver Spies, I have edited his ability to ONLY affect Bronze or Silver Northern Realms Allies. There are only 2 Bronze units in Northern Realms that have 10 points, Poor Flanking Infantry and Tridam Infantryman (if you have an Officer in hand) so triggering Stennis twice, wouldn't be that strong. You would have to use Esterad into Stennis and then triggering a Dun Banner Heavy Cavalry to get real value. To play Esterad on Sile, you would have to have 3 Thunderbolt Potions in hand because you would play one when you use Sile, then two more if you use Esterad twice on Sile. Dethmold would be a good choice to use with the leader....unless they kill him since he's only 3 strength. Um, you're saying that my version is too strong but triggering Keira Metz + Thunderbolt + extra boosting isn't? Also giving him Crewman: 2 would be really overpowered especially with Battering Ram.

3.- Actually you're right about that. I thought Farseer got boosted whenever a unit on the board got boosted. I'll change his passive to "boost 2 units in your hand by 1." I'll edit his ability as well.

Thank you for your ideas and feedback. Can you explain Anna Henrietta's ability? I'm not really getting lol.

OG.laloquaint;n9482001 said:
1.- Why would you want to Strengthen a Spy by 10? So you play her and you give your opponent 10 points? That ability makes no sense to me, I don't think it would work. I would like her to be the "Spy" leader but maybe I'm not understanding your version right.

2.- As for Esterad Thyssen, to stop him from triggering Neutral Silvers and Silver Spies, I have edited his ability to ONLY affect Bronze or Silver Northern Realms Allies. There are only 2 Bronze units in Northern Realms that have 10 points, Poor Flanking Infantry and Tridam Infantryman (if you have an Officer in hand) so triggering Stennis twice, wouldn't be that strong. You would have to use Esterad into Stennis and then triggering a Dun Banner Heavy Cavalry to get real value. To play Esterad on Sile, you would have to have 3 Thunderbolt Potions in hand because you would play one when you use Sile, then two more if you use Esterad twice on Sile. Dethmold would be a good choice to use with the leader....unless they kill him since he's only 3 strength. Um, you're saying that my version is too strong but triggering Keira Metz + Thunderbolt + extra boosting isn't? Also giving him Crewman: 2 would be really overpowered especially with Battering Ram.

3.- Actually you're right about that. I thought Farseer got boosted whenever a unit on the board got boosted. I'll change his passive to "boost 2 units in your hand by 1." I'll edit his ability as well.

Thank you for your ideas and feedback. Can you explain Anna Henrietta's ability? I'm not really getting lol.

1. I was referring to silver spies' effect when I say it with "spy" effect. When you're playing those silver spies, you give your opponent 11-12 points, but you simply do nothing for the turn right? For that henrietta, she gives your opponent 10 points, while she is a 3, then you do an Operator-like effect which copies any bronze/silver from anywhere on your side. Only you that get the card, so it's also a do nothing effect for -7 points. It has its requirements though.

Now that I think of it, she should strengthen by 13 so that she's a -10 play. I'm quite sure this is the best given how powerful silver-spies' effects are, stacking the buff on Cantarella is really doable as well. And I think she should copy a card from your deck or graveyard instead, so that mulligan can be a factor when playing her.

2. Some other 10+ points: Battering Ram (7+3), Temerian Infantryman (usually got buffed by scouts), Knight Elect after 2 turns. I'm sure it's comparable to Dijkstra. Getting 3 potions is real easy with Ban Ard Tutors. With 3 power Thyssen that only triggers Dethmold 2x would give a total of 3+7+7=17 value. But my version of Thyssen that triggers a Keira Metz for potion would give 1+6+9=16 value. And I wasn't comparing mine with 2x Stennis. For another comparison, Henselt that copies Drummers would be a 3+7+7=17 play, and in 3 turns that would be a 23 points play. The first drummer was just a flat 7 and don't get its first tick. Thyssen -> 2x Stennis is pretty much 3+10+10 play, which Stennis itself is already a good value, lots of armors, and stuffs. It would be better at 1 point if it can 2x proc Stennis. Triggering machines' effect is horrible if compared to other things it can do, and what Henselt can do, but it's fine in a pinch.

3. Interestingly, I faced Far Seers that got buffed when my opponent just play Vrihedd Vanguard. That guy obviously only buffs stuffs on board, might be a bug. I'm sure there was no Dragoon on board.

I want to say something about that monster leader, but I'm not a monster player so I can't say much. Move-leader for Scoiatael might be nice, would love to see that archetype dances like mulligan does.

Last edited:
New leaders for all factions have already been teased. Anyway: I like the Beast, but I'm uncertain about the otherwise:

- Honestly I'd always choose Calveit+Rainfarn+Cahir
- mmm I don't know. It seems rather weak...
- ...while the Scoia'tael Leader seems too strong. The Buff and the passive ability are Ok, but with the shiels it's too much

Bleach25;n9892001 said:
New leaders for all factions have already been teased. Anyway: I like the Beast, but I'm uncertain about the otherwise:

- Honestly I'd always choose Calveit+Rainfarn+Cahir
- mmm I don't know. It seems rather weak...
- ...while the Scoia'tael Leader seems too strong. The Buff and the passive ability are Ok, but with the shiels it's too much

I made these so long ago, Jesus. Very excited for the leaders, can't wait to see their abilities.

Last edited:
Top Bottom