jobs Support Register

New Mechanic : Trapped

+

Cabowse

New Mechanic : Trapped

I did mention this in card suggestions a little while back but to no avail.

Trapped would be a toggle status like Lock & Resilience, but would not be broken by a lock.

Trapped: Unit cannot be moved from it's current row.

Arachnomorph
Strength: 5
Faction: Monsters
Row: Ranged
Rarity: Bronze

Deploy: Toggle a unit's Trapped status and Damage them by 2.

Arachnomorph Colossi
Strength: 9
Faction: Monsters
Row: Agile
Rarity: Silver

Deploy: Weaken all Trapped enemies by 2.

Can anyone think of any other potential units for other factions that would work with this mechanic?

4RM3D

Wait, so besides having locks, you also want cards with super-locks? That will only add unnecessary complexity. Besides, there would be no real use case for such a mechanic.

Cabowse

Not a super lock, just that the trapped status won't break if the unit gets locked.

You could use the trapped status offensively or defensively, but I see the mechanic working better the more cards that are introduced that work with it. Possibly the trapped status could also be seen as a way of making targets more vulnerable, maybe damage is increased by 1 against trapped targets? Who know?

This thread is meant as food for thought, and a place for ideas.

solopdc

4RM3D;n9323121 said:
Wait, so besides having locks, you also want cards with super-locks? That will only add unnecessary complexity. Besides, there would be no real use case for such a mechanic.
I don't think he meant "trapped" equals "lock but can't be unlocked". I think what he meant was simply a new token, that makes the unit unable of being moved. And by adding the 2nd unit he intends to built some synergies for it. I do see how this could benefit monster weather, but honestly I do not think this is well thought out. Seeing as Scoiatel move decks are already garbage, these cards would single-handedly destroy every move deck out there.

4RM3D

Ah, I see. In that case there is still very little incentive to use such cards. Remember Quen Sign? A card that almost no one uses. Trapped cards would fall into the same category.

Muffliato

Well, a Geralt: Yrden (or just Yrden Sign) would naturally work with this mechanic. :D

It's a cool idea, but since there isn't much movement yet, it would be kind of pointless. The cards would mostly just be used for the damage/weaken, I think. Perhaps in the future, if movement becomes more of a mechanic?

Cabowse

Is there something else that trapping a unit could do that would make the mechanic more interesting?

I suggested before that maybe trapped units would be more vulnerable therefore take increased damage from all sources. Or they could take 2 damage when they would be moved? This would give Scoia'tael more options if they had a trapping card of their own?

eternum_turlte

a mechanic that makes cards no be able to move sounds useless , but if it existed it would work well as a faction arc type instead of a neutral.
that will force the devs to make cards for the arc type therefore more synergy but honestly it sounds worse than malign .

Iuliandrei

Anti-movement mechanic

With all the movement we got lately i was thinking if this game should have an anti-movement mechanic aswell.

An example that i thought about was from Duel of Champions which had the "Anchored" effect (or Hypnotize against enemies) which made a unit immune to movement effects (both friendly and enemy) AND effects that caused the unit to leave the battleground, such as Milva, Pavetta or Emhyr.

What do you think?