New Star Wars RPG by Obsidian?

+
New Star Wars RPG by Obsidian?

http://uk.ign.com/articles/2013/02/08/obsidian-pitching-new-star-wars-rpg-game?abthid=51153975524cd6584a000024

Would be cool as Kotors were great and Obsidian games usually have good writing

Let's milk the franchise just a little bit more.

I dunno, it IS Obsidian, final product could be good. Then again I wasn't a huge fan of KOTOR 2... The franchise doesn't really have anywhere else to go but up at this point though so might as well let them do their thing and see what they're capable of.

Aver

Forum veteran
Could they focus on what they already making? I mean they are making Project Eternity, South Park and in meantime they are lobbing for next KOTOR. Normally I wouldn't mind, but their games are always extremely buggy. Obsidian please, focus on one thing at the time.

Well right now they haven't actually started any development on it so even if it happens South Park should be finished by then and with Project Eternity it's not like can put their entire studio to work on just that.

Yeah I saw that earlier, pretty interesting. Definitely gonna keep my eye open though it's a wary eye. I'm kinda getting sick of the Star Wars setting. Lightsabers. Yeah. They glow. I get it. Can you show me something new? Is innovation for Star Wars games like syphilitic prostitute, everyone just avoids it like the plague? But hey, it's Obsidian. They have a passion for story telling and they're not too scared of pushing a franchise forward. KotOR 2 was surprisingly deep and mature for Star Wars game.

So hey, I'll keep an eye open but that's it.

slimgrin said:

Let's milk the franchise just a little bit more.
I feel the same. Though, as long as the masses keep on throwing money Star Wars, it'll never die. So blame the market.

I fucking hate Star Wars, but liked Kotor 2, so i'm kind of split. However reading of what they did to Revan and the Exile I can't really see how they'll come back from such idiocy. Bioware took a big dump full of their usual artistic integrity over the setting.

Yes! Sweet fulfillment! Well, almost. I'd always hoped for KotOR III, since the "ending" (which didn't acually end anything) of part 2 was such a cliff-hanger. But it's still my favourite dev studio besides CDPR and my favourite franchise besides The Witcher and my favorite genre - enough win for a great game, in my book.

Um are you people getting excited over a pitch? A pitch that hasn't even been picked up yet and might not at all? I thought someone would point this out but this isn't confirming anything just Obsidian throwing it out there. Also some food for thought now that Disney owns Star Wars they could go full censorship mode on Obsidian if this does go through so just temper your expectations if this happens.

I'm not really a Star Wars fan overall (I mean I like it, but I don't love it). I liked Kotor 1, but I really enjoyed Kotor 2 because it seemed a lot more serious and had a lot more depth despite being more buggy and blatantly unfinished. At the time I had no idea it was made by a different developer, but I've since realized that I like Obsidian's story-telling more than Bioware's. I'd definitely be interested in a Kotor 3 if it was made by Obsidian because I'm sure the story and characters would be extremely interesting. My only concern would be whether they could polish the game and properly bug-test it.

Blothulfur said:
I fucking hate Star Wars, but liked Kotor 2, so i'm kind of split. However reading of what they did to Revan and the Exile I can't really see how they'll come back from such idiocy. Bioware took a big dump full of their usual artistic integrity over the setting.

I am blissfully ignorant of whatever Bioware may have done to Revan and the Exile after Kotor 2. Seriously, please don't tell me :p In any case, I will take your word for it that it was horrible. Therefore I would hope that if Obsidian did make Kotor 3 it would be a new game which did not refer to whatever Bioware may have done after Kotor 2

If they can bring back the amazing story and characters of KOTOR 2, but get rid of the tedious content and curious design choices that plagued the game, that would be sweet.

Got interested when I though it would centered in the KOTOR setting, though sadly--according to Gamespot--Obsidian are considering were they to make a Star Wars game in the end, it would take place between Episode III and IV.

Will wait and see if something comes to it or not.

Guest 2091327

Blothulfur said:

Heh, came in here thinking "I must be alone with these thoughts". Guess not.

I've just never had a big thing for Star Wars, like some of my friends do. Have seen some of the movies, at least parts of them, but I couldn't really tell you what happens apart from the known stuff like "I'm your father". When did they come out again? Maybe I was too young to get hooked. I like science fiction after all, and mostly love the Farscape series. That was a bloody good show. Bloody annoying they ended it way too soon.

Star Wars is an exception for me. The settings with binary morality and happy go lucky themes are usually the ones i find insanely boring. But Star Wars...i bloody love Star Wars. I can't put my finger on why, but i just find the franchise fantastic.

And when they throw away the binary morality, like in KOTOR 2, Star Wars just becomes epic.

Hmm, interested. Very interested. I mean, it is Obsidian, but I'm still a bit skeptical.

*sigh* I wished they were making KOTOR3 but guess that will never happen.

Top Bottom