NG's "seize and lock" deck, losing or not, is not fun at all to play against

+
[Please new thread]
The NG' new leader ability is really really OP: block a card, create a copy and boost it of two.. really? Something else? Then they play Vanhemar: "destroy a blocked enemy". I have nothing to say about V. but how is it possible that card is only 6 of cost? The combo of that deck are really OP. But the real problem is the cost of NG cards, they have very powerful cards with very low cost. And I have a rateo of 3 this season with just 3 avatars left, and I usually win against NG but this new meta is really OP, not fun at all playing against. Thanks

Qzman

Forum regular
Strange, I've seen multiple threads where Imposter is called underpowered...

[Please new thread]
The NG' new leader ability is really really OP: block a card, create a copy and boost it of two.. really? Something else? Then they play Vanhemar: "destroy a blocked enemy". I have nothing to say about V. but how is it possible that card is only 6 of cost? The combo of that deck are really OP. But the real problem is the cost of NG cards, they have very powerful cards with very low cost. And I have a rateo of 3 this season with just 3 avatars left, and I usually win against NG but this new meta is really OP, not fun at all playing against. Thanks

Haha, are you serious? Imposter is not great, I think the discussion is "is it any good".. Vanhemar is it's own card, it's not imposter leader ability.

My experience with Imposter is that it's not so good. It's VERY difficult to find an appropriate target for this ability, and on average the ability is quite weak. One thing it is good against is say something like SY Luiza+Savolla defect combo. You can copy Savolla's Frightener. Yihaa. So, 11 points with 6 armour.

WITH other synergy cards, this can make the leader quite ok. But I don't think it's strong, and I'm pretty sure the community don't think it's strong. Maybe there is something overlooked still.. Perhaps. But this leader is not the best NG leader. It CAN get good value, but good targets are difficult to find.

Synergy can be quite good, depending on the opponent and your own deck.

I guess you have the gimmick deck, that you can use a half assimilate copy deck and try to play the same thing as the opponent, but it's not a strong play.

Overall I think you're wrong.

I don't think it is strong. To be honest, Each time i faced with that leader ability, i crushed the opponent. It easy to counter if you have purify.

Last edited:
I understand your point, of course it depends on the deck. So yes, I guess that against deck as Scoiatel with a lot of unit it is not so good. Anyway my speech was more about the costs of NG's cards. Some of them are very low.
All the card with 6 of cost are potentially very powerful in combos; Yennifer (move a card of your opponent on your deck) is just 9, Damien (the most OP card of the game in my opinion, it should free for all factions) just 11. Compared with other faction's cards are a little unbalanced talking 'bout cost.
Anyway I'm not complaining, I'm keep enjoying this game so much, just a feedback from me, thank for your opinions and I'm sorry for my bad English.

I agree with the above trend. That's not the worst (as in rediculously op), I would say it was the seize unit ability because it can be a high power limit and together with tons of locks and seize cards at NG's disposal; that is the worst.

I spent three frustrating rounds being locked and seized of all the playable units I had, in an earlier game.

There was nothing I could do about it.

The dev's need to limit the amount of lock and seize cards a deck can have and offer NG a better unit (it can even be spying but not lock and seize passed the limit, no more than 2 locks and 1 seize I recon)

Continued...

...A better unit roster to engage in battle with the rest of the factions.

I won't being paying until they sort this out.

I think the problem isn't winning or not, I usually win against NG'decks with my NR, the major point is that there is not fun at all. I really love this game, even when I lose the match, but not against NG. The other faction's are all based on power up themselves or at least on damage the opponents, NG' point is not let you to play Gwent.
I understand the connection with the others games, with the story, the features of NG army etc but not if this make the game not funny.
For example the NG' deck based on soldiers is fun to play against. It's ok also the poison deck, there are a lot of ways to play against that, but the 'seize and lock' decks are really boring, and it is also too much oriented against NR or other decks that use orders etc
-
EDIT:
Naturally if we are playing seriously like pro-gamers the point is to win, so I accept that sort of deck.
However, I can understand why a lot of people of middle level disinstall the game after playing again and again with the same copy of NG deck.

Last edited:

DRK3

Forum veteran
Oh great, another thread complaining about NG... :facepalm:

I've already tried the new leader for quite a few matches, with plenty of locks and seizes. I really tried to be as annoying as possible... but to my surprise, it wasnt very successful or OP.

1st, the nerf to Damien and Stefan hit NG hard. But that doesnt explain everything. I was using Zeal Potions to trigger several Damiens and Vattiers and still losing. Why?

My theory is that this new NG Leader is really good, but had very unfortunate timing and came into Gwent in a meta where he isn't that good. Several of the current popular decks spam a lot of engines but none is too good to provide great value when copied. And even decks that are subpar like new dwarves, can actually crush Imposter by dividing points really well and not giving any good copy targets for Imposter.

Maybe in a future meta this NG ability will rise, but for now it doesnt have much potential when other NG leaders do better.

I think the problem isn't winning or not, I usually win against NG'decks with my NR, the major point is that there is not fun at all. I really love this game, even when I lose the match, but not against NG. The other faction's are all based on power up themselves or at least on damage the opponents, NG' point is not let you to play Gwent.
I understand the connection with the others games, with the story, the features of NG army etc but not if this make the game not funny.
For example the NG' deck based on soldiers is fun to play against. It's ok also the poison deck, there are a lot of ways to play against that, but the 'seize and lock' decks are really boring, and it is also too much oriented against NR or other decks that use orders etc
-
EDIT:
Naturally if we are playing seriously like pro-gamers the point is to win, so I accept that sort of deck.
However, I can understand why a lot of people of middle level disinstall the game after playing again and again with the same copy of NG deck.
I understand your frustration. Gwent is unique in sense of faction ability distribution.
I've analyzed few faction and find out provision are different with same ability cards from different factions.
eg.
1. NG locks unit cheaper than any other factions
2. NG purify unit cheaper than any other factions
Sums up, this is NG's special ability and unfortunately they made it as leader ability(not very powerful unless in evil hands)

Most pro-gamers will not bother about NG unbalanced decks because they need it to break/control the meta but deep inside they know how annoying when NG vs NG.

Maybe its time to appreciate Caretaker and your faction purifier.
or start utilizing Spring Equinox(useless card they said, might be useful now)

OR join either SY or NG and enjoy the meta because it's worth learning new factions :beer:

I understand your frustration. Gwent is unique in sense of faction ability distribution.
I've analyzed few faction and find out provision are different with same ability cards from different factions.
eg.
1. NG locks unit cheaper than any other factions
2. NG purify unit cheaper than any other factions
Sums up, this is NG's special ability and unfortunately they made it as leader ability(not very powerful unless in evil hands)

Most pro-gamers will not bother about NG unbalanced decks because they need it to break/control the meta but deep inside they know how annoying when NG vs NG.

Maybe its time to appreciate Caretaker and your faction purifier.
or start utilizing Spring Equinox(useless card they said, might be useful now)

OR join either SY or NG and enjoy the meta because it's worth learning new factions :beer:
I think "meta" is a overrated concept. I use a NR deck never seen in other players, and I manage to win vs NG with not much difficulty. For example I think the new SY meta is more powerful than NG. The problem I was trying to focus about is the fun in the game. SY is a fun deck to play against, GG worth (even if I find it stupid to play with a copy of a deck used by other 60% players). The problem is always about fun. When I win against NG I'm so bored, when I lose to other factions GG and keep playing.
I'm really inside this game and I love it, so this is not a problem to me, but I'm not surprised new players quit the game.

I think "meta" is a overrated concept. I use a NR deck never seen in other players, and I manage to win vs NG with not much difficulty. For example I think the new SY meta is more powerful than NG. The problem I was trying to focus about is the fun in the game. SY is a fun deck to play against, GG worth (even if I find it stupid to play with a copy of a deck used by other 60% players). The problem is always about fun. When I win against NG I'm so bored, when I lose to other factions GG and keep playing.
I'm really inside this game and I love it, so this is not a problem to me, but I'm not surprised new players quit the game.
I can't exactly see how you have more fun against SY. Not only they have several poisons, the biggest seize in the game, but they also crush you with points. Nilfgaard can be annoying but if you play carefully you can outmanuver it and win. Hidden Cache is a death sentence in most situations

I can't exactly see how you have more fun against SY. Not only they have several poisons, the biggest seize in the game, but they also crush you with points. Nilfgaard can be annoying but if you play carefully you can outmanuver it and win. Hidden Cache is a death sentence in most situations
The problem for me is not the poisoning, but the locking capacity NG has. They usually need 2 turn for poison, and with my NR deck I make more point in 2 turn than the point I lose with the poisoned card. But NG poison and also lock your card so the high powered are destroyed, the low powered are locked. A lot of fun. I think that NG is too much oriented vs specific deck, like engines and orders based. I suppose there is no problem if you are playing with Scoiatel who spam a lot of units.

The problem for me is not the poisoning, but the locking capacity NG has. They usually need 2 turn for poison, and with my NR deck I make more point in 2 turn than the point I lose with the poisoned card. But NG poison and also lock your card so the high powered are destroyed, the low powered are locked. A lot of fun. I think that NG is too much oriented vs specific deck, like engines and orders based. I suppose there is no problem if you are playing with Scoiatel who spam a lot of units.

Seriously? Lock has been an archtype for NG for a long time. It's not very powerful, but quite useful.

Poison is far worse, terrible mechanic. It reminds me a bit about the "no unit decks" of the past, anything you put on the board is just useless.

Seriously? Lock has been an archtype for NG for a long time. It's not very powerful, but quite useful.

Poison is far worse, terrible mechanic. It reminds me a bit about the "no unit decks" of the past, anything you put on the board is just useless.
For me, yes, seriously. I play with units with orders and charges so I can do nothing. Of course vs units with high power and no charges or ability to activate lock is useless. This is why I'm saying that NG is very very powerful just against NR and maybe the "damaging itself" Skellige deck. The point is that other decks play on their own, NG instead is very powerful vs some setup and very bad vs others, so there is basically a wrong concept of that faction I think.
At the moment I've not problem to win against them but I think that is crazy I need 3-4 cards in my deck just for play against them (that I wouldn't use otherwise).
In my opinion in the game, to be balanced, should exist only decks who can play a certain strategy independently of what faction they are fighting with.
If NG is so much strong against deck with charges and few cards, and so much weak against spamming decks like Sco etc there is a problem in the game. My opinion

Off-topic:
Imposter isn't that bad as people claim in this thread.
There is actually a really good anti-meta deck that smashes SY hidden cash, NR uprising, SK ursine ritual and double NG poison decks.
But it's not a auto pilot deck you must know your opponents deck and it's weaknesses in order to win.

On-topic:
NG was my favorite faction but I hate what has become of it.
Double scenario is broken, bribery rng highrolling, Skellen double bribery highroll abuse, Damien de la Tour double leader madness, Invocation....
And the list goes on and on........and the complaints are turning back every patch because the devs change nothing

Off-topic:
Imposter isn't that bad as people claim in this thread.
There is actually a really good anti-meta deck that smashes SY hidden cash, NR uprising, SK ursine ritual and double NG poison decks.
But it's not a auto pilot deck you must know your opponents deck and it's weaknesses in order to win.

On-topic:
Double scenario is broken, bribery rng highrolling, Skellen double bribery highroll abuse, Damien de la Tour double leader madness, Invocation....
And the list goes on and on........and the complaints are turning back every patch because the devs change nothing
To be fair Damien is a tame version of Open Beta Cahir

For me, yes, seriously. I play with units with orders and charges so I can do nothing. Of course vs units with high power and no charges or ability to activate lock is useless. This is why I'm saying that NG is very very powerful just against NR and maybe the "damaging itself" Skellige deck.

I know exactly how it feels like with NR, but I disagree about locks being the issue. NG has 4 dedicated lock cards 2x2 bronze cards, and using these came with some disadvantages before (at the time there was only 2 lock cards), but now even more so.
Anyways, far worse than lock (from NR perspective) is hardcore control decks. I don't know anything more frustrating than that with my NR decks. Everything you put on the board is just removed and damaged every single time, and you get poor value.

Locks is not the "enemy" here. It is a tool, sure, but it's not "cheap" and does not provide much value for NG decks, aside from preventing (perhaps) the unit they lock from executing whatever they are executing (short of purify).

I'm sorry to say, but I think the problem is actually NR. Yes.. I used to play NR back in the days, it was always "my faction" so to say, but before it was way worse than it is now. Almost all units were order units. The thing is, order units were/are really overpowered, but this comes at a risk (order). So there is a risk/reward situation to take into account. If NR got to play everything on deploy, it would be way overpowered.
Anyways, NR has changed quite a bit since that time, with the introduction of formation, and less focus on order and new deploy units. NR is ALOT less frustrating to play now than what it used to be.

I stopped playing NR a long time ago, because it was so frustrating. I recently have been trying to play NR again, but found many of the same frustrations again. This made me desperately try to create some "different" NR deck types, which weren't suffering from the "weakness" and "annoyance" that normally comes with playing NR decks. So I tried all kind of crazy things, and I ended up with a midrange control/utility based Pincer Maneuver deck. It took away all the frustration of playing NR, but it was not really a very powerful deck. It did have some of the "elder bears" of NR, the newly introduced big cards like Philippa, Falibor, Baron etc. It was a big relief to play such a deck with NR. It just bypassed the normal NR frustration.

Recently I've been playing some "wide" NR decks, which is also nice. Various tools, but less reliant on executing order abilities. And really, it feels much nicer than the typically very frustrating NR decks that rely on VERY powerful cards that are easily removed or otherwise bricked (row movement, locks etc).

Well, in the end, what I'm trying to say is that it all depends on what kind of Northern Realms decks you play. If you find locks frustrating, then I think perhaps you are playing NR decks with some of the above mentioned weaknesses. Sure, if things go well, those decks can be powerful, but against control decks, they can be really very frustrating. I think perhaps the best solution is to look into different ways of playing NR, because locks are not the problem. Locks are kind of rare, and bring nothing on the table for the person using it, the tempo is very poor and it's purely reactive (as oppose to proactive).

Anyways, there are not enough locks for all your order units anyways. I play NG with locks, it's one of my favourite decktypes, but there is no way I can lock down the opponent, I have to prioritize. A big issue for my lock decks is if the opponent keeps "spamming" order units that I feel I have to lock. In the end, I can only lock a very few things. I can damage/remove about as many things or more depending on the deck.
Post automatically merged:

There is actually a really good anti-meta deck that smashes SY hidden cash

I don't netdeck, I build my own, and I discovered this too.

On-topic:

Really? Bribery highroll is gone as far as we're concerned. Makes Skellen less relevant and the Skellen Damien Bribery deck irrelevant (which is a good thing).

What strengths do NG really have? Double leader is not OP. Double scenario IS broken yes. Yet to be resolved..

Why NG felt so frustrating with all those things, were because it was so predictable and everyone using the same boring moves and the same decks. Invocation can be very frustrating yes, but how good is it really? After removing it's ability to remove artifacts, not really very good. It CAN be good, but normally it's not so good (like imposter). If you find a good target, it can be extra good, otherwise it's basically just removal (without body), and it might put a card in your deck you don't want there..

Last edited:
I know exactly how it feels like with NR, but I disagree about locks being the issue. NG has 4 dedicated lock cards 2x2 bronze cards, and using these came with some disadvantages before (at the time there was only 2 lock cards), but now even more so.
Anyways, far worse than lock (from NR perspective) is hardcore control decks. I don't know anything more frustrating than that with my NR decks. Everything you put on the board is just removed and damaged every single time, and you get poor value.

Locks is not the "enemy" here. It is a tool, sure, but it's not "cheap" and does not provide much value for NG decks, aside from preventing (perhaps) the unit they lock from executing whatever they are executing (short of purify).

I'm sorry to say, but I think the problem is actually NR. Yes.. I used to play NR back in the days, it was always "my faction" so to say, but before it was way worse than it is now. Almost all units were order units. The thing is, order units were/are really overpowered, but this comes at a risk (order). So there is a risk/reward situation to take into account. If NR got to play everything on deploy, it would be way overpowered.
Anyways, NR has changed quite a bit since that time, with the introduction of formation, and less focus on order and new deploy units. NR is ALOT less frustrating to play now than what it used to be.

I stopped playing NR a long time ago, because it was so frustrating. I recently have been trying to play NR again, but found many of the same frustrations again. This made me desperately try to create some "different" NR deck types, which weren't suffering from the "weakness" and "annoyance" that normally comes with playing NR decks. So I tried all kind of crazy things, and I ended up with a midrange control/utility based Pincer Maneuver deck. It took away all the frustration of playing NR, but it was not really a very powerful deck. It did have some of the "elder bears" of NR, the newly introduced big cards like Philippa, Falibor, Baron etc. It was a big relief to play such a deck with NR. It just bypassed the normal NR frustration.

Recently I've been playing some "wide" NR decks, which is also nice. Various tools, but less reliant on executing order abilities. And really, it feels much nicer than the typically very frustrating NR decks that rely on VERY powerful cards that are easily removed or otherwise bricked (row movement, locks etc).

Well, in the end, what I'm trying to say is that it all depends on what kind of Northern Realms decks you play. If you find locks frustrating, then I think perhaps you are playing NR decks with some of the above mentioned weaknesses. Sure, if things go well, those decks can be powerful, but against control decks, they can be really very frustrating. I think perhaps the best solution is to look into different ways of playing NR, because locks are not the problem. Locks are kind of rare, and bring nothing on the table for the person using it, the tempo is very poor and it's purely reactive (as oppose to proactive).

Anyways, there are not enough locks for all your order units anyways. I play NG with locks, it's one of my favourite decktypes, but there is no way I can lock down the opponent, I have to prioritize. A big issue for my lock decks is if the opponent keeps "spamming" order units that I feel I have to lock. In the end, I can only lock a very few things. I can damage/remove about as many things or more depending on the deck.
Post automatically merged:

I don't netdeck, I build my own, and I discovered this too.

Really? Bribery highroll is gone as far as we're concerned. Makes Skellen less relevant and the Skellen Damien Bribery deck irrelevant (which is a good thing).

What strengths do NG really have? Double leader is not OP. Double scenario IS broken yes. Yet to be resolved..

Why NG felt so frustrating with all those things, were because it was so predictable and everyone using the same boring moves and the same decks. Invocation can be very frustrating yes, but how good is it really? After removing it's ability to remove artifacts, not really very good. It CAN be good, but normally it's not so good (like imposter). If you find a good target, it can be extra good, otherwise it's basically just removal (without body), and it might put a card in your deck you don't want there..
The things you said about NR are the reason I love the faction so much. I think NR are the most difficult faction speaking of building a deck. The second day of this season I was 0-7 (W-L, prestige 1, rank 5) then I got an idea, added some card to the deck, now I'm 65-24. The only deck, at the moment, I sometimes lose vs is the NG one with Impostor or the one that lock your leader ability, if I have not a good hand (anyway also against them the rateo is at least 2).
But the thing I love the most is that I've never seen a deck similar to mine (and I'm talking of a deck that let you finish a long third turn with almost 160-170 points, even if they destroy me Donimir). And when I play vs other NR deck they are always different in any way, GG guaranteed. The fact 95% players play with the same copy of SY NG or SC deck is an obvious thing in a card game but so boring at the same time

Top Bottom