Night City Wire - Media, News & Previews - links and discussion

+
Status
Not open for further replies.
Another vid from my man Neon , @1:28 there are some screens from players that you might not have seen .

Probably from this official vid (mainly targeted at Polish community, I guess) :

(Neon has a good eye for materials as always, that I'm impressed with:cool:)

Probably from this official vid (mainly targeted at Polish community, I guess) :

(Neon has a good eye for materials as always, that I'm impressed with:cool:)

Looks like the same stuff. He says on the vid he was tipped off by a fan , who might be Polish .

OK, i have not watched any game play footage because I hate spoilers and I spent 250 dollars to preorder this thing, so forgive me. It's also a major reason I am notably absent here. But I have questions.

So...

1. is double jump still in?

2. Are there still pixel bitch boss fights that ignore the rules of the rest of the game or are nothing more than quicktime events?

3. Do clothing items still increase gun damage?

4. Does gun damage still increase by character level?

5. Why is there genital customization in a game locked to first person where they are just going to pixelize it anyway? It was stupid in saints row 3, its stupid here.

6. Are the enemies still bullet sponges?

7. Serious question, is there anything, other than setting, which differentiates this from say.... Far Cry?

I am seriously considering cancelling my collectors edition pre-order as this game just gets more and more generic looking. I mean. the images of the three character starting choices... christ... an nomad looks like a generic modern biker, I mean clean jeans and a t-shirt, leather vest... the street kid was so generic I thought it was clip art. The corporate looked ok, but still, nothing that screamed cyberpunk at me in terms of clothing.

Please guys, give me some positive, some thing to be excited about that isn't story based or spoilery...

Actually, we don't know. Only thing i can sure - double jump is here.

Also, from what i hear in multiple videos, we can kill/friend Royce right in the beginning of the 2018 demo quest and poof! no boss fight. There are level gates on enemies and player, but no one said about player's damage.

Nearly everyone says that skill tree is much bigger when they saw in 2018 demo or 2019 closed one too. I know that you wait for 2020 PnP close enterpretation, so i can say, that CP2077 is nothing like PnP in terms of gameplay, from what i saw. I think it looks like modern ARPG, you will play as V and you became solo for whole game.

Last edited:
1. is double jump still in?
Unfortunately, yes.
2. Are there still pixel bitch boss fights that ignore the rules of the rest of the game or are nothing more than quicktime events?
What do you mean? They are as videogamey as in any other game, attack it's weak point for massive damage, yadda-yadda. What's your point?
3. Do clothing items still increase gun damage?
No idea when it was a thing to begin with. Skill increases weapon handling.
No idea when it was a thing to begin with. Skill increases weapon handling.
5. Why is there genital customization in a game locked to first person where they are just going to pixelize it anyway? It was stupid in saints row 3, its stupid here.
To look at customizable genitalia in the mirror. And to promote RTX, there are a lot of pixel perfect reflections, finally.
Yes.Same as Witcher 3. If they're a few levels above your current one, they are if you're not creative with rpg system's exploiting and not prepared.
7. Serious question, is there anything, other than setting, which differentiates this from say.... Far Cry?
Far Cry is open-ended, a lot more than dense city area in CP2077. It's a lot closer to Watch Dogs than Far Cry. As of how city looks, I don't think there are cities built like this in CP2077 anywhere to be seen. GTA V and WD1/2 had almost all buildings closed and unexplorable, and not as detailed streets.

Last edited:
If enemy takes more than 3 bullets to an unarmored head, or multiple magazines of bullets, it's bulletsponge?

Fixed that for you...
Post automatically merged:

Unfortunately, yes.

What do you mean? They are as videogamey as in any other game, attack it's weak point for massive damage, yadda-yadda. What's your point?

It"s lazy and weak gameplay. If the "boss fight" ignores all previously established rules so you have to kill it in a spacific manner, it's garbage. And quick time events just suck.

To look at customizable genitalia in the mirror. And to promote RTX, there are a lot of pixel perfect reflections, finally.
Dunno what RTX is, but it just sounds like another reason locking it to FPS is a bad choice.

Same as Witcher 3. If they're a few levels above your current one, they are if you're not creative with rpg system's exploiting and not prepared.

Lame, and completely failing to get the point of Cyberpunk 2020 combat which the game is supposed to be based on.

Far Cry is open-ended, a lot more than dense city area in CP2077. It's a lot closer to Watch Dogs than Far Cry. As of how city looks, I don't think there are cities built like this in CP2077 anywhere to be seen. GTA V and WD1/2 had almost all buildings closed and unexplorable, and not as detailed streets.

I will repeat.... OTHER THAN SETTING, what differentiates this from say.... Far Cry?

Last edited:
you unlock skill points that give you +X% DMG to shotgun, riflest yada yada yada. If an enemy level is too high, you can't beat them. So I guess the answer is yes. :giveup:
5. Why is there genital customization in a game locked to first person where they are just going to pixelize it anyway?
Not pixelized but you can't walk naked in the streets. I guess you can see the genitals in some scenes.
Absolutely yes. :giveup:

Dunno what RTX is.
GPUs with hardware ray tracing.
but it just sounds like another reason locking it to FPS is a bad choice.
It is.
It"s lazy and weak gameplay. If the "boss fight" ignores all previously established rules so you have to kill it in a spacific manner, it's garbage. And quick time events just suck.
I don't remember anything about QTEs being a thing. This mechanic is officially dead.
Lame, and completely failing to get the point of Cyberpunk 2020 combat which the game is supposed to be based on.
It is.
I will repeat.... OTHER THAN SETTING, what differentiates this from say.... Far Cry?
Watch Dogs is not different to Far Cry just because of the setting. Buuut, CP2077 is not WD either, its a lot closer to Witcher 3 again but with branching quests and customizable character look.

Fixed that for you...
Well we didn't saw anything like that.

What are you guys mean with bulletsponge? Where in gameplay you see that? Do i saw different gameplay that you, because from what i saw, everyone dies like instantly, if player don't miss a shot.

At first say what features you mean? That all you do is shooting?

Again, if you wait for cyberpunk 2020 literal interpretation, you WILL be dissapointed, current gameplay is nothing like CP2020.

At first say what features you mean? That all you do is shooting?

Pretty much, FPS in a game where thats the inferior choice, and mechanics with little substance or innovation.

I mean I guess it could be worse, it could be like Borderlands or Division, with such blatantly artificial character progression )level, get new weapon, in a few levels the weapon must be replaced, because as you level, so do the enemies, keep replacing weapons, because they can't think of a better way to pretend to advance the game.

Pretty much, FPS in a game where thats the inferior choice, and mechanics with little substance or innovation.

I mean I guess it could be worse, it could be like Borderlands or Division, with such blatantly artificial character progression )level, get new weapon, in a few levels the weapon must be replaced, because as you level, so do the enemies, keep replacing weapons, because they can't think of a better way to pretend to advance the game.

CP2077 definitely not looter shooter. How game progress will look like we didn't saw yet, cause CDPR wasn't show us more than prologue.

So far... seemingly only how storytelling and missions go. Other than that... not much.

---------------------------------------------------------------

What I got from the NCW presentation....

Gunplay still looks like a run off the mill shooter. There are some talks about how it's stiff, but I don't see it. And some talks about how it supposedly gets better as the skill increases, which is kinda good news, but that didn't show in the videos and considering that the demo was played with a controller with aim assist on, it is doubtful there's much of any effect when playing with mouse and keyboard, which again translates to ordinary shooter combat with highly negligable character systems and progression (or a very cheap damage progression system). They didn't show off the smart guns this time around, but so far we know it's just enemy seeking missiles with no character build consideration anywhere except perhaps for reloading times.

Driving was said to look and feel stiff, but I didn't notice what was so different from other games like this. And somebody wondered if there are systems to govern that... nobody mentioned seeing anything like that (perks nor skills nor stats), but I hope there is something like that...that is tied to your character build.

Braindance looked boring. Like a 3D surveillance camera analyzation minigame that does not challenge the player or the character in any way (but resilience on the players side), what with yellow exclamation marks pointing towards the objects one needs to look at. No brainwork or character build required. Just checking the highlighted objects and then V goes "Whoa that was intense doood!" as if underlining how mundane and boring it looked.

- I'd made it so, that the player never leaves the head of the character who he's dancing. And based on the stress/tense level of the character in question, the situation is distorded so that the player has to actually do some searching to find what he is looking for and possibly spend some time there - with lots of objects to check. And to make it better, have it so that it is not just "whoa intense dude", there are actual gameplay considerations to doing the whole thing. Like:
- There is a timer on how long you can spend braindancing before it starts to do you harm. E.g. based on the stress level, if you spend X amount of time there, you get a -1 to your COOL, if you linger on for Y amount longer, you another -1 to your COOL and -1 to your INT, if you still linger on for Z amount of time, you get a third -1 to COOL, a second -1 to INT and a -1 to your REF (and eventually BODY too.... and the order might be randomly chosen so that it might actually start with your most important stat), and all those debuffs would negate the skills and perks at the corresponding levels and every passive thing those stat levels might offer.... And if one of your stats goes down to 1, you black out and wake up later on, disoriented and with all the debuffs you got. And the debuffs wouldn't be something you can just wait off by spamming a wait function or going to sleep, but you'd need to find a ripper doc to fix you for relatively high price (based on how much there is to fix) and possibly through some "recovery implant" of sorts that you'd have to use a certain amount of time or something like that.

Something to that end. Be quick about it or suffer the consequenses. It's not only "whoa tense dude" for V, but also for the player.

It also strook me how deserted the city was. There was hardly anyone driving at night and the clubs had like 10 people in them. What's that about. It just looked weird when Jackie gloated about the Afterlife and then... there's a handful of barflies there. Same with the bar at the corpo beginning.

Where's the nightlife? There's more happening in my little town at wednesday afternoon than there is in Night City, it seems. I already saw someone making a joke about covid77 and social distancing...

Remote hacking has some sort of "mana" system as if they were spells, it seems. Bleh. Open my digital grimoire and memorize my scifi spells, yeehaw!
I would've had it based on chance to succeed against the enemy with no cost. If it fails, you're busted, if it succeeds it succeeds. And even failures can count towards skillprogression (if they are based on a skill).

Visually it looked good. The audio was good. The talks about questdesign and storytelling are good.

V's voiceacting is just as distracting and annoying as I expected. A cocky wannabe mafioso for male and even the female sounds off at times (like the line spoken to the saved monk). It would've been soooooo much better to have an unvoiced main character. Sooo much better.

And speaking of dialog... It still looks like choosing lines (very few of them at a time) often produces a full conversation like in the Witcher. Something that starts from what you say and then moves on to something you did not anticipate at all. Yeah. Silent protagonist would've been better.

So there's a bit of ranting I couldn't do already two weeks ago because of reasons.
Over and out.

Last edited:
If enemy takes more than 3 bullets, it's bulletsponge?

This. The enemies died plenty fast in the demo. People's idea of 'bullet sponge' on this forum covers the entire gamut, lol.

@wisdom000 . The trailer is worth watching and doesn't give away serious spoilers. From what I know of the PnP, it certainly seems faithful and the visuals are very impressive. I honestly don't get a generic vibe from it.

You should read up on the stat/skill/perk trees. It's sounds like there is a fair bit there.

Also the dialogue system that is at times dependent on where V is focused sounds pretty innovative to me.

Visual example of body stat tree in Night City Life's big preview looks impressive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom