[LINKS ONLY] Witcher 3 News

+
Status
Not open for further replies.

Please use this thread to post LINKS to (or translations of) news about The Witcher 3. You may discuss them in this thread: http://forums.cdprojektred.com/threads/34395-DISCUSSION-Witcher-3-News

VideAuGames.com hands-on preview
Stevivor hands-on preview
Eurogamer.CZ preview (Czech)
9lives.BE preview (Dutch)
PCWorld preview
PCGames.DE preview (German)
PC GAMER preview
Eurogamer preview
Playstation.blog preview
GameInformer "5 Improvements in The Witcher 3"
Polygon preview
The Witcher 3: hands-on with the RPG of the year by VG24/7
The Witcher 3 sets a new generational standard for graphics by VG24/7
I Played The Witcher 3 And I Still Have Some Doubts by KOTAKU
KOTAKU Australia preview
Spieletipps.DE preview (German)
Tweakers.net preview (Dutch)
IGN UK preview
Gamesradar preview
Gamespot preview
Gametrailers impressions
Gametrailers interview with Damien Monnier and Marcin Iwinski
Gameswelt.DE preview (German)
Jeuxvideo.fr Preview (French)
Jeuxactu.com Preview (French)
Gameblog.FR Preview (French)
Jeuxvideo.com (French)
Rock Paper Shotgun Preview
Gryonline.pl Interview with Adam Badowski (Polish)
Purepc.pl impressions (Polish)
Meristation preview (Spanish)
Playstation Universe preview
StateOfPlay.co.nz preview
The Telegraph preview
Comingsoon.net preview
The Independent preview
Metro.co.uk preview and interview with Marcin Iwinski
Playstationexperience.com preview (German)
Examiner.com preview
ONLYSP preview
Pocket-Lint.com preview
Gamereactor preview
PCGamesn.com preview
GodIsAGeek preview
Primagames.com preview
USGamer.net preview
Capsulecomputers preview
RPGFan preview
Gamestar.DE preview (German)
Gamereactor.DK preview (Danish)
Gamerevolution preview
Playstationlifestyle.net preview
Shacknews preview
HardcoreGamer.com preview
OXCGN preview
VIDEO: 11 Reasons Why The Witcher 3 is The Game Of Thrones Game We All Want! by Gamespot
WWW.WITCHERSITE.PL hands-on impressions translation (from Polish, very informative)
DigitallyDownloaded preview
CNET preview
AUSGAMERS preview
Why sex matters in the Witcher 3 by The Guardian
Rocketchainsaw preview
I like that The Witcher 3 treats me like an adult by KOTAKU

Interviews:

Pixel.TV interview with Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz part 1
Pixel.TV interview with Mateusz Tomaszkiewicz part 2
Golem.DE interview with Jose Teixeira
IGN UK interview with Marcin Iwinski
IGN UK "Witcher 3' beautiful ugliness
The Witcher 3:Wild Hunt Monster Killing in 8 Easy Steps
9 Times I Slacked Off Instead Being A Hero in The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt
StateofPlay interview

January 2015 Gameplay Video:

Gamespot "New Witcher 3 Gameplay Keeps It Hardcore"

5 Ways The Witcher 3 Is the Game Of Thrones of Videogames

The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt gameplay preview by Gamesradar

Kinda funny reacts

Gametrailers Twitch:

http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/c/5974170
http://www.twitch.tv/gametrailers/c/5974175

What's the Witcher 3 Really Like by Kotaku: http://www.youtube.com/watch?x-yt-ts=1422503916&x-yt-cl=85027636&v=S3HQqfmNNfE

Last edited by a moderator:

Just bought and downloaded the pdf version of the newest gamestar magazine. It was written by a guy who played the game for 2 whole days without any limitations. I want to share some of his impressions and new information. There are also tons of new screens (including a pic of the skilltree), but I think I'm not allowed to post them here (correct me If I'm wrong)

- since the january hands-on they heavily enhanced the combat. It's extremly fluent, accurate and comprehensible now. (with a gamepad, mouse and keyboard is still a bit squishy, but CD Prject Red promised to correct it till release)

- after fighting with a gamepad, he used a mouse, which automatically changed the on-screen display. He praises the comfort to use a gamepad during combat/exploring and a mouse in the menus.

-difficulties (easy, normal, hard, dark) are always changeaable. The difficulty changes the enemy intelligence (for example monsters evade less often on the lower difficulties) but not the hitpoints

- a lot of customization, including the deactivation of quest-markers and points of interest markers. You can even experience Geralt's adventure completely without any on-screen display

- Bargaining with people about monster- hunting rewards will be done in a minigame. There will be a seperate window, in which you type the gold you want. At the same time you can see how angry the npc is. if you overdo it he/she will cancel the negotiation and you have to accept the minimum reward.

- kaer morhen and surroundings are about as big as the prologue area. (4-5 hours of gameplay)

- horse items: saddlebag (more space) , blinders (less chance to be dropped off the horse), sattle (determinates the horse stamina)

- heavy usage of the surroundigs. For example the gamestar guy met a enemy with a skull symbol (too difficult to fight) There was a hive nearby. He shot it with the crossbow-> the bees attacked the enemy and he run off
Generally he praises the small details. Geralt can blow down bottles, break fences or even make blinds swing with his aard sign
He mentions how impressed he was, when Roach randomly ate a apple from a upset basket with apples

- the boat has a damage-model ( didn't say anything about if it's visual)

- a lot of choices with huge consequences

-There is a quest:
A baron has information about Ciri, but he want's us to do something for him before. For the gamestar guy it was the gameplay- and narrative-wise best quest he has ever experienced in a rpg. " We operate as a detective, talk to suspects, shepherd a stubborn goat, fight with ghosts and wild animals and much more. All this, just to learn about such a gruesome and touching secret, that I was speechless."

- we will spent between 5-10 hours playing Ciri (no character development while playing her, whole focus on the story)
Ciri can blink, There will be even more powerful abilities later

- there will be 5-6 smaller, more linear regions during the story.He saw two of this regions (not kaer morhen or orchard village), but doesn't want to spoil them, because they are very different visually and it seem's also huge story spoilers.

-only three bugs during this 2 days

Conclusion:
[....]"My two days with Geralt were one of the most beautiful, most exciting and overwhelming experiences I have experienced in my 33 years gaming life"

Information from the Gamestar twitch livestream:

• you cannot enter every house in Novigrad but it's cleverly masked if you can't enter one
  • no button for opening doors anymore, all doors are swinging doors
  • extremely lively interiors, every interior tells a different story
  • fluid gameplay on 1080p with everything on maximum +nvidia hairworks on GTX 980 -> looks insanely good for an open world game
  • two big cities with Novigrad and Oxenfurt (which is really big as well)
  • there are towns in the game of the same size of Flotsam
  • cities have a realistic eco-system and surroundings with real suburb parts in which craftsmen are located like in medieval times
  • last active skill-slot at level 50, level cap could be even higher
  • relationsships to women feel organic
  • whole world feels quite realisitic and organic
  • gameplay feels very good and fluid
  • diving is still not optimal in terms of controls, but you can dive everywhere
  • gamepad controls are apparently much better than mouse/keyboard according to the journalist (m/k on TW2 level)
  • it's still too easy to rob people, robbing system in general is lacking
  • whole game is consequently open world so pacing could be difficult for some
  • passages with Ciri are like a linear action-adventure, not like a RPG, plays differently and more action-fueled than Geralt's passages
  • side quests are great and each tells its own story with people actually reacting to Geralt
  • sound and subtitles can be combined freely from different available languages
  • there will definitely be a day-one patch
  • high grade of visual violence with dismemberments with a higher gore-level than TW1 or TW2, but still feels organic and consistent
  • items can be crafted and decomposed
  • best items in game must be crafted
  • Novigrad and No man's land are connected, only seperated maps, only loading time between main land and Skellige
  • Novigrad+No man's land are much bigger than Skyrim alone
  • game world can change based on your decisions
  • there was indeed no slider or adjustment option for the draw distance/LOD but according to the journalist he was happy with it
  • there is the cleverly constructed illusion of a realistic world but traveling is never boring and there is always something to discover
  • even if you disable markers for quest givers on the map the game gives you audio-visual hints like people screaming for help
  • the journalist never had the feeling that the world is "empty"
  • no sudden changes of environments (e.g. desert to humid regions), organic and consistent world
  • "sandbox elements" and random stuff is limited, so no fights of townpeople against dragons like in Skyrim, you can only influence the world to a certain level
  • in one instance when the journalist encountered a pack of wolves on horseback some wolves attacked the fleeing horse after Geralt descended (the horse flees instead of fighting against enemies like in Skyrim), so there is at least some environment interaction with enemies
  • as far as the journalist has experienced it there will be little to no enemy respawning, enemies haven returned during his two days in the game
  • the game is open world but actually almost everything is "controlled" and "planned" by the developers
  • early in the game you visit a town that was visited by the Wild Hunt -> they "froze" the whole town and turned it into a winter environment
  • many things are commented by Geralt e.g. when he tracks down leads with the Witcher senses
  • mutagens can be very powerful, like 40% damage enhancer for signs
  • very different enemy types that feel and play differently
  • no "clone" NPCs, every NPC in Novigrad for example looks differently
  • every potion and bomb must only brewed/crafted once
  • potions have different quality levels, can be improved, e.g. Swallow can offer more healing and more slots
  • crafting is extensive
  • you can for example increase the inventory limitations of your horse by crafting bigger saddle bags but you must actually go to your horse to be able to have access to these bags
  • every region has its own color setting and feel
  • clouds cast shadows
  • bad weather like storms can happen everywhere
  • game loading time is extremely short on the high-end PC
  • saving and loading times are also extremely short
  • some huge buildings and story-relevant special areas have loading times, normal buildings not
  • story branching in quests is excessive and impressive with not always "transparent" or easily visible effects, for example one quest had six "decisive" elements that could have gone down in a different way if the journalist behaved differently
  • "it will be impossible to play Witcher 3 two times in exactly the same way"
  • different to Bioware games dialogue options are not "obvious" and every possibility makes kind of sense, no sign whether an answer is "good" or "bad", only quest relevant options are marked (opposite to chatter and non-quest related dialogue options)
  • due to the complex way of story branching it's difficult to find times and locations where "things went wrong" if you want to develop your game in a different way
  • Ghwent is awesome according to the journalist, great design and entertaining
  • fist fighting is without QTEs now, it's just like normal fighting with hard and fast strikes and such
  • there are now negotiations for quest rewards like bargaining for a monster hunt (before and after quests?)
  • there are horseraces similar to RDR, biggest focus on stamina management during races, you can even buy better saddles for horseraces
  • every item you choose is visible on Geralt's ingame model
  • you can enter and play whatever region you want but you get hints where to start by your main quest (e.g. search Ciri in Novigrad's surroundings) if you want enemies that are on a similar level to yourself, but it's up to the player how he wants to progress
  • soundtrack was good, but neither really negative nor outstanding, but dynamic and decent, fits to the situation and location
  • some reactions from NPCs to things you did, but rather small comments, journalist admitted that he didn't play the game long enough for probably bigger reactions
  • tutorials are integrated into the story/progression and worth the effort due to good dialogues
  • resolution on Xbox One will definitely stay at 900p in order to offer a stable performance
  • the game is really immersive and "drags you in", feels and plays a lot more fuildly than the predecessors without being less complex
  • there is a chance that they won't be able to hold the level until the end of the game (speculation since two days were surely not enough to get to the end) but the journalist was truly and deeply impressed by what he saw and played

Updated list with things I obviously forgot to mention (thanks @SkycladGuardian @jantherocker @Daywalker30 )

• journalist reached level 7 after 10-12 hours of playing
  • level 23 wyvern was able to kill his Geralt with one blow/shot
  • potions are quite important, especially on harder difficulty settings
  • gameplay is comparable to Dark Souls, but faster
  • there will be a lot more items and loot than in the predecessors
  • no completely random quests, hand-made quests with depth instad
  • you will be able to visit Kaer Morhen multiple times
  • Kaer Morhen and the starting area are quite extensive, both offer at least 4-5 hours of gameplay
  • Geralt's beard will grow over time so you have to visit a barber from time to time if you want him shaved

Stream is over. List is finished. :)

For everyone interested (and capable of understanding German) this is the recording of the Gamestar twitch stream (1:20h) :

http://www.twitch.tv/gamestarde/v/3925226

Last edited:
Interview with CD Projekt RED's senior writer Jakub Szamałek.

The three hours playing session was undoubtedly the main but not the only item on the agenda on Russian hands-on event. After playing the demo at the event, all participants had the opportunity for a little chat with the developers and ask them a few questions. Of course, I could not resist not to take advantage of this opportunity, though I was terribly worried with a thought that I would have to do interview for the first time in my life, and in English language. I was ready to despair, but then to my aid came my friend Kitty Venom and Valentina Zlobina, PR-manager of CDPR in the CIS, they managed to psychologically support me in this difficult situation, for what they have my deep gratitude.

I had conversation with a senior writer of the game Jakub Szamałek, a very extraordinary man and at his homeland, in Poland, known not only by his involvement in creation of "The Witcher 3". Jakub is historian and archaeologist by his basic education, and he is a doctorate of Cambridge University in the field of ancient history and archeology of the Mediterranean and Middle East. Even before the beginning of his cooperation with CD Projekt RED (from May 2012 to date) he revealed himself as a talented writer, an author of historical detectives. His first novel, "Kiedy Atena odwraca wzrok» («When Athena turns eyes away»; the action takes place in ancient Athens), was released in 2011 and was not only well received by critics, but also at the same year was awarded with the prize "Readers' Choice" at the International Festival of detective fiction in Wroclaw. The second novel of Jakub, "Morze Niegościnne» («Unwelcoming Sea»), dedicated to the events in the ancient Greek colonies of the Black Sea, appeared in 2013. Knowing about what kind of extraordinary people working on the third story of "The Witcher", it was impossible not to ask:

What precisely was your area of ​​responsibility as a writer of the game: the side quests, something else?

Our team consisted of five people, and we are responsible for almost everything that has to do with the plot. We have developed a general plot outline, all the main quests, side quests, small quests etc. Personally, I did all the quests for the Prologue, both main and side. What you saw today was, for the most part, written by me. The other part [meaning the quest at the Skellig archipelago - Elle's note] did my colleagues.

I noticed that every quest in the Prologue is unique.

Yes, they are. We have, and it should be particularly emphasized, that there is no [automatically] generated quests. At one time we tried to experiment with this, but the quests out boring and primitive, the characters were deprived of depth, and while doing the quests, you had to repeat the same action all the time. Such situations is not favorable for us, and we decided to do otherwise. In our game every quest that you meet, was made by hand.

In other games with open world there are quests like "go-kill", "go-fetch", "go-gather"... It's really boring.

Oh, no, definitely no such quests for The Witcher 3. We would like to have each character having their own story. Even if they do not tell you everything, we as the authors know why these people behave like this in one way or another. We deliberately tried to get away from the same scene pattern, such as "go to some place, do something there and go back"; we sought to diversify the structure of the narrative. For example, you are going to kill the monster and find that it is not in place, or you figure out what man who gives you a contract is trying to cheat you, or when you come back and he telling you that you will get only half the agreed amount of payment for your work... In general, each time you can expect something new. It's much more realistic, isn't it?

Totally agree with you... Tell me, is there any gameplay decisions, game mechanics that you particularly like, perhaps your favorite?

I really like the way we have implemented this kind of quests, as hunting monsters. When you travel from town to town, you can of course follow the storyline. However, the inhabitants of each locality, gets on your road, have their own problems, and you, as a Witcher, can help solve them. In the vicinity of many villages there are monsters, and the peasants who would like to get rid of them. These quests begin about the same, but we tried to turn each of them into a small story with an unexpected and confusing plot, in which Geralt will have to delve into the secrets of the local community and to establish the true motives and intentions of the people. Implementation of these quests will allow to earn experience and gain better equipment, as well as learn something intriguing and meet interesting people.

I also like our mechanics of bargaining. When you sign up for the execution of the contract, you can bargain. People either accept your terms, or offer their own, cheaper price. It's a simple system, but it allows you to feel yourself as a Witcher. In the game, as well as in the books, The Witcher have to deal with extremely dangerous work for very little money, and customers never want to pay what should been paid or screaming that they been robbed. I think the opportunity to bargain will allow you to experience it all on yourself, that's why I like it so much.

I noticed the bargaining system during the playing session. While being in contract negotiations Geralt now free to disagree with the proposed amount, and offer his own, higher. What kind of an increase to the base fee will receive Geralt as a result, depends on irriation indicatior of a quest giver. Increase the original price to infinity, and of course, it wouldn't work, but to recieve the extra 20-25% is fairly possible. - Elle's note.

Whether we will have the opportunity not to kill the monster, but also to save him?

Yes it is possible. Geralt basically kills the monsters that are dangerous to people, but there are reasonable monsters who have a valid reason to show aggression. You might met a monster with whom the locals treated badly, and even then you have to decide whether to kill it or, on the contrary, to deal with people who put a contract on it. There will be some monsters who will assist you in the fulfillment of certain side quests. In any case, you have to expect a few different scenarios.

Oh, I imagine the monster that screams: "Do not kill me, I can still be of use!". Are there be monsters helping Geralt fight against people?!

Well, yes, sometimes you will be able to trust the monster and use it to track down someone.

You mentioned the opportunity to bargain. Please tell us in detail about the economic system in the game. I understand that it will be more difficult than in previous installments?

In The Witcher 3, there are several regions, each with its own economy. You, if you wish, can engage in trade and make money by delivering certain goods from one region to another. No man's land, in Velen, say, the people are very poor and starving. If you buy food anywhere and will bring it back with you an they will give the best price. Also, some dealers are willing to pay you more for certain goods. For example, metal smiths will give you a higher price than other traders.

In some cases, Geralt will be able to influence the state of the local economy. For example, in the vicinity of some villages inhabited by a monster who terrorizes the village. If witcher kills the beast, then he will be able to subsequently buy goods from local merchants at lower prices, because with death of the creature roads will be safer, and trade become more brisk. And in such situation everything would be a little easier even for you.

We have a few in-game currency. The main currency - Novigradian Crown. They can be accepted everywhere. In addition, there is the second additional currency - Temerian Orens, that had circulated in the previous games, and Nilfgaardian Florins. After the Nilfgaard conquest of the former Temeria, some traders refuse to accept Orens, preferring to trade for florins. To avoid problems with a variety of currencies, Geralt can collect them, and then, once in Novigrad, exchange [for the crown] in Vivaldi's bank, which was mentioned in the book. Thus, the economic system we got is really complicated and, at the same time, quite realistic.

Geralt will be able to make deposits in banks of Novigrad?

As I recall, this option, as deposits, is not available in the game, but you will be able to take a loan in the bank and then buy something you want.

An analogue of the credit card?

Yes it is. Why not?

What about percents?

Well, first you have to pay for previously received credit before taking the new one.

In one of the screenshots of inventory I noticed, among other things, elements of harness. Does this mean that we will be able to improve Roach?

You can't improve the horse itself, but you will have the opportunity to improve its equipment. If, for example, you hang on the improved saddlebag, the capacity of your equipment will increase, and you can carry more items in it. If you got the improved seat, which, incidentally, can be won by participating in the races, it will increase endurance of horse, and it can perform longer gallop. Reduce anxiety with help of blinders. Without them, Roach might fear to panic and throw you out of the saddle at the most inopportune moment. With blinders it will cease to be afraid of monsters and will deliver much less hassle while mounted combat.

Horses in the game having two main characteristics: stamina and anxiety. The first is responsible for the time during which the mare can race at a gallop; the second - for the level of tranquility/panic. If somwhere near will show up a predator or a monster the anxiety begins to grow. - Elle's note.

Besides the backpack of Geralt and saddlebags of Roach, what else will be included in the game as a storage for loot? In the previous games we had special chests. We put all kind of stuff in the trunk in one chapter and then take them out of the same trunk in another chapter.

Honestly, I'm not sure that this time we will have something similar. I think you have to for the most part, carrying them all along.

Unfortunately, the time allotted for our conversation with you is expire. Let me ask one last question. In a January interview with Adam Badowski which I translated for Russian fans of The Witcher, there was said that at this point ingame option of ubersempling is currently locked. This information is, to my surprise, very excited the members of our community, and they began to wonder wheither if this option will be unavailable on a first day of release and days after it?

I'm not exactly sure, but I think that it will be available when the game will be released in May. And if you have an nVidia card, you can enable HairWorks.

Thank you very much Jakub. After today's presentation we are looking forward to this amazing game with even stronger passion, a game from such an amazing team. :)

Thanks to Natalia "Elle" Orlova from Gamer.ru for awesome interview material. :sweat:

Sorry if my English is still sucks. I'm still learning the dicktionary! :scold:

P.S. Also @Aladdin111 posted the link to original interview on the previous page.

P.P.S. Many thanks to @jerf.674 for correcting some of my typos.

Last edited:
REDs congratulating the official Russian fan-site with its 10th anniversary:

EDIT:
On this occasion, kaermorhen.ru announced a contest of fan-made trailers (google translate), with prizes including GTX 980 and silver witcher medallions. Apparently this contest is open to anybody, no matter the country of residence.

Last edited:
Did a quick translation

Know the history of Senior Technical Artist Witcher 3 that just happens to be Portuguese.

BY ANDRÉ HENRIQUES
IGN Portugal had the pleasure to go to Madrid at the invitation of Namco Bandai, to dive into the latest and ultimate adventure of Geralt of Rivia, the protagonist of The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt.

Below is our interview with José Teixeiria, Senior Technical Artist of the final chapter of Witcher 3 and as you will have already noticed, is Portuguese. We were trying to learn what is to work in a company like CD Projekt RED and what he misses more from Portugal.

IGN: For our readers still confused, let's talk in good Portuguese, I start by asking you, how was your journey to get to CD Projekt RED?

JT: So, I have finished the course of architecture in 2005, then I worked for several years in advertising, with the creation of content for television, music clips, etc. Then in 2009 I went to Poland, where I started working in the gaming industry, a dream I had with me since forever. I started to work in the "People can Fly", now known as "Epic Games Poland", worked on games like Bulletstorm, Gears of War, Infinity Blade, etc. For a little over a year and a half, I'm working on CD Projekt RED, more specifically, in The Witcher 3.

IGN: What games have marked you as a player?

JT: Oh. A lot ... I was very luck as a child to have access to a lot of consoles, from friends who had the Spectrum, I myself had an Atari 2600, so it was easy to contact early on ... it's a super tough question.

From early on, I began to notice, in particular when the games started coming out on CD, which occasionally brought small "making off", with scenes of actual production. It was something I loved, I remember one of the first I saw was the Need for Speed. At the end of the game, if we could finish the game career, we had the credits and them we saw producers disassemble a Ferrari Testarossa to photograph the interior.

Was around 13 at the time and went crazy with it. Those guys took the photos of the Ferrari, then wrote some stuff on the computer, and suddenly we are playing with the car on the screen. It was around this time that I started to gain interest in 3D computer games as well. Then when I started working effectively in 3D, I noticed that gave me immense joy to special effects, explosions, rain and other weather effects.

IGN: It costs to be far from Portugal, whats make you feel more homesick?

JT: The food! [Laughs]. Food, family, friends, time. Poland is colder, but is a great place to live, requires adaptation to another course environment, but you have a good level of quality of life, I was surprised. Maybe had some misconceptions about the country, of course it costs, I often go to Portugal, several times a year, but I also have to say I'm in a great situation in Poland.

IGN: Do you ever keep track of what happens in Portugal? Football inclusive.

JT: within the possible yes, I will keep me updated. I have friends that send me articles with complaints about politics, above all political, I watching.

About football, I'm relatively updated, one of the things that surprised me in Poland is that people are familiar with the Portuguese football, whenever I say I am speaking Portuguese they start to talk about Cristiano Ronaldo and Mourinho. But even in the taxi from the airport, The mister started talking to me and when I told him I was Portuguese, he asked me "then, are you from Benfica or Porto?", And I, surprised, say my family is from the north, but I myself keep sharing and such.

IGN: You started working in 3D, but it was not immediately in videogames, how was the transition?

JT: Well, yes video games are something that I always wanted, but as much as we want something, we always lack the courage to take the first step. Indeed at the time there was very little stuff in Portugal, they made the Under Siege, but the examples were scarce.

When the opportunity arose to come to Poland, it was one thing I could not let it go, had to take chances. I had a brutal luck, my friends insisted on reminding me of this, but it's true, when I went to People can Fly, Epic, asked 3 years experience in AAA. It's always like a vicious cycle, you can't enter because you have no experience, but if you don't enter you will never gain experience. They there saw my portfolio and I was lucky they decided to invest in me, "we teach you to work with Unreal" etc, so, it was a great luck, but went well.

IGN: Do you still think that there is a lot of prejudice at the entrance? If you tell your parents, "I want to work in the video game industry," they still react with prejudice.

JT: Well this has changed radically today is a powerful industry. I do not want to now tell my parents - "who was right in getting to play up to so many, who? [Laughs] ", obviously not, but fortunately people's perspective has changed, is a fantastic area.

Then there is the other side, when we turn our hobby / passion / hobby in our job, there's that idea that the magic is lost, it becomes a burden. We see these cases in video games too, of people who end up leaving to go do something else. There is nothing worse than asking your co-worker, "then played this Assassin's Creed or the latest Far Cry, etc.? Noooo, I do not play in your free time ... "So, we are not supposed to be great game fans? It was one of the things that I loved here at CD Projekt RED, now I will do a little advertising for the company, one of the first things I was asked in the interview, was it still liked to play ... to which I replied, "taste".

IGN: What is missing in Portugal to have a studio to develop AAA titles?

JT: That's the best question ever, Portugal seems an ideal country for something like that, these are projects of several years, life in Portugal is good, the excellent climate, the country is beautiful, we have a lot of talent, there are very good people in 3D.

We enjoy when we say that the major European studios are always in cold countries, or in the wet misery of England or Sweden, DICE, where it's always cold and people are working in the interiors. I loved that there was a large studio in Portugal, maybe one day.

I do not know ... I know what it takes and investment ideas, maybe one day.

IGN: Thank you José.

JT: Thank you.

Article from IGN Portugal: http://pt.ign.com/the-witcher-3-wil...itcher-3-wild-hunt-entrevista-a-jose-teixeira

Last edited:
Today in Japan, we got new article in Famitsu which consist of two parts. First dev interview, second Hands-on Review. There is a lot of information already known which I omitted to translate, but also some interesting description like Gwent.
Edit : After I posted, there has come some more new info about Gwent in another Japanese article. So I summarized below as much as possible.

Dev Interview with Rafal Jaki (Business Development Manager but also taking charge of Gwent), Miles Tost (Level Designer) and Travis Currit (English Writer).
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201503/30075156.html
Q: Please tell us current progress of development.
RJ: 99% completed. Now we spend a time to optimize, not trying to add new content. We promise you to deliver TW3 on schedule.
Q: Player's decision make influence not only to story but also field. With marvelous visual quality, didn't you have trouble fairly to adjust this enormous volume of information to a game?
MT: In TW3, your choice have an influence upon people, story and arrangement of field. As a Level Designer, this was a challenge. The village I created can be destroyed or slaughterd or burnt down, all depending on you. At some time Quest Designer gave me an order to destroy village which I made very beautifully, that's surprising.
Q: Destroy? That must've been shocked...
MT: But difficult experience made me uplifted, and also it was fun to think of what kind of experience could be given to a player from perspective of map design.
Q: Could you elaborate on that?
MT: For example, White Orchard Village has windmill(s), which means fertile land so a river flows. We can say apple is the speciality in White Orchard and of course you will be able to see fruit firm. On the other hand, Novigrad has a lot of buliding built of brick. If you want to know why, there will be an answer in the actual game. Minig place where clay is gathered near Novigrad, workshop where bricks is made from clay in the mining place, and the flows such as carring bricks to Novigrad from workshop, all in TW3.

Hands-on Review. Nothing new (I mean in this forum, not in Japan:D) but about Gwent.
http://www.famitsu.com/news/201503/30075155.html
Writer said Gwent is simple but deep. Because a card taken out at the place once can't be used after the next, if you use main force cards too much in order to take a first round, you might be lacking in a necessary card next round. Also writer mentioned that there is a special card which have no numbers but have special ability, like "the number of all "Direct Attack" cards is made 1. It's difficult to win the game without thinking by what kind of order a card is taken out or how to utilize a special card etc.
You can buy cards in shops and of course earn cards to compete with NPC. According to article, there are some cards which is absolutely rare, and it seems to be difficult to win NPC who have rare cards.

There is another article in Japan, so I added new info about Gwent. Link is here.
http://www.gamespark.jp/article/2015/03/31/55927.html
Answered by Rafal Jaki.
Prehistory of Gwent "Originally, Gwent wasn't included in the game design. Gwent Project had begun in second half of development. Before that, I secretly made a contact with Quest Team to get the list of all NPC, then I thought which card to make appear when, tying with a story. After having decided to introduce Gwent into TW3, I consulted with Art Team about necessity of 200 art-works. Despite of they felt that's Insane, in the end two concept artists accomplished 200 about 3 months."
how to win "Even if you don't excel your opponent's hand, you would be able to win playing while thinking the next (2 round or 3 Round). Timing to win the game is the key, so losing one round doesn't mean losing the game. Although there is an element of a little luck, we adjust the balance not to depend on luck so players want to try over and over again."

Summary of Gwent from several Japanese media. Link below is also used as reference.
http://www.4gamer.net/games/205/G020524/20150331027/
-Card game of the turn system performed in 1to1. Player have to anticipate 2 rounds first to win the game.
-When a game starts, both players pull 10 cards from deck (2 can be exchanged for other cards).
-Each number written on the upper left determine the value of the card. All cards are categorized into 3 elements, which means "Direct Attack", "Indirect Attack" and "Castle Attack".
-Also Gwent consists of 200 varied cards that is divided into 4 powers, which is Nilfgaard, Northern Realm, Wild Hunt and Scoia'tael (each power consists of 50 cards).
-Once a game starts, player cannot pull more cards from deck, which means if you use 7 cards at first round, you have to deal with only 3 cards rest of the rounds.
-Every turn, player share each 1 card at the place and compete for the sum of the figure written on the card upper left.
-The card taken out at the place once can't be used after the next. Also it's possible for a player to refuse to take out a card.
-Each round is over when both players pass (refusing to take out a card), and the player with the high total numerical value will be a round winner.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom