Nilfgaardian Deck Strategies

+
Now that Blightmakers are a thing, a full-on Poison deck is even better than it was before. :D

So much fun killing stuff and tossing cows. Effective, too, with all the removal (in addition to Poison I run Vincent, Leo, and Invo) and good engines (Dames, Sergeants).

Now that Blightmakers are a thing, a full-on Poison deck is even better than it was before. :D

So much fun killing stuff and tossing cows. Effective, too, with all the removal (in addition to Poison I run Vincent, Leo, and Invo) and good engines (Dames, Sergeants).
Blightmakers are expensive rot tossers though

For the Emhyr!

Hello everybody, I'm not that new player but certainly new to this forum. I play in rank 6 and struggle to get any further with my deck. I'd love to pick your brains on how to improve it. What am I missing?

The deck will be posted below, the strategy I think is pretty simple - a lot of synergies and good cooperation between cards - classic Baal Loyalist deck. It works quite well until it doesn't. The cards I use the least are: Vanhemar, Van Moorhelem Hunters and Alba Division Horsemen (sorry for rough translations I use polish version of the game) but I've not found anything better to pick yet.

Since I'm new to this forum I suppose the topic to post it is correct but I may be mistaken, correct me if it's misposted.

Attachments

• Talia NG.png
    Talia NG.png
    663.8 KB · Views: 38
Illaser,

There may be other players better qualified to give suggestions, but here are my thoughts on your deck. Also, please note that I do not know Polish — forgive me if I misidentify some of your cards.

First, your deck has a great deal of control — most of it either slow (poison) or containment (locks). None of your control works on veiled units. Given the deck has limited point potential and only a couple high tempo plays, I would expect it to struggle against decks with most cards that play for immediate value or decks that quickly generate points and distribute them across multiple units. It also has a couple of cards that are strong threats, but that are not well supported by the rest of the deck so their usefulness will be inconsistent. My suggestions would be to focus on addressing the deck inconsistency rather than simply seeking “more useful” or stronger cards.

Two very good, but poorly supported cards are Vilgefortz: Renegade and Philippe Van Moorlehem.

Usually Vilgefortz is best if you can utilize the card you place in the opponent’s graveyard — rather than merely counting on trading for a good card. (If all you want is to take a good card from the opponent, Yennifer’s Invocation is cheaper and more consistent. But even then, your deck has no real tools to make opponent’s cards useful to you.)

Philippe is very slow, a huge target, and spying tags are not very useful in your deck — you have to wait for the locks and poisons. Generally, I would want a Philippe deck to benefit from spying tags, to have protection for Philippe, to include Van Moorlehem Servants to quickly spread statuses, and to have enough round one tempo to help guarantee a long round for Philippe to develop his threats.

I believe these cards are useful, but you pay a high price for which I think you could find better cards.

I also note that, not counting Philippe, you have 5 locks and 8 applications of poison. These are cards that tend to lose value as you get more copies (you have to settle for lesser targets), so you might ask whether you need so much.

To replace these cards, I would seek high tempo, high point value cards that still synergize: cards like Artaud, Usurper, plain Vilgefortz, Damien, Lydia, even Nauzicca Seargent or Spotter.

I play in rank 6 and struggle to get any further with my deck. I'd love to pick your brains on how to improve it.
I love Vilgefortz: Renegade myself, especially this season when he seems to get more value because of Sove and people in general being happy to play golds R1. However I don't think a ball deck can afford high cost tech cards like that and he makes a better fit in an assimilate deck.

I wouldn't go all- in on the poisons this seasons because when you run into flurry or reavers you just won't get that much value from it.

I assume Doadrick is purely for consistency? And perhaps trying to fish out something that Assire shuffled back in deck? I'd cut both and either make it a Calveit deck or add things like Roderick and Dead Man's Tongue for some more consistency.

This is my own ball deck for the season: https://www.playgwent.com/en/decks/dfedd3f1cad3297cd69fb28b402ecd5c

It essentially has two packages, spying and poison, which can be played in separate rounds or mix well with eachother in an ideal long R3.

I'll add though that because of Sove and reavers ball isn't that great this season, and the deck in general could use some more provision since it struggles winning R1 and often times get bled out of combo pieces because of it. Still a lot of fun, though=) And you can definitely get to pro with it.

Last edited:
Top Bottom