Nitpick: Why is there so few female ripperdocs?

+
By and large there seems a to have a decent gender-balance among NPCs in general. Which makes it all the more conspicous (and kinda random!) that it's so lopsided for ripperdocs (i count, what, 2 out of 15, not counting Lucy?).

Well, if every day you wake up with a hammer in hand then everything starts to look like a nail. Essentially ppl will go looking for a problem even if there isn't one, then it just becomes virtue signaling.

There are an unbalanced number of everything in the game as there is in life, some by design...others because ppl just don't have an interest in that particular thing. The only way to fix that is to assign occupations at birth, I'm sure there are a few science fiction stories on how well that works out. Point is, not everything is some agenda driven conspiracy.

Probably because the vast majority of people working on the game are males and they didn't actively think about how many female ripperdocs are in the game.

For what it is worth, there are other female rippers you can meet in the game that just aren't "Vendors" as well as a former Trauma Team member that is a vendor in Dog town (med items not a ripper).

So, it's not like they're absent from the world, just not a 1-1 ratio, and they're not all vendors.

The reasoning is probably something benign, Vic is who he is obviously for story reasons, Nina is a celebrity cameo that got upgraded to a vendor. The others they likely just designed to fit the location you find them in the best they can, I doubt they really considered gender and just went for "Vibe" of the location. Maybe there is a lore or design reason, probably not, maybe no one at CDPR considered the gender thing, maybe they did and just didn't care :shrug:

Honestly it's not even something I really noticed until you pointed it out, other than Vic and Fingers who have implications on the story Most of the other Rippers might as well be generic no-name NPCs to me, The one guy with the scavs in his basement is memorable and Nina because she's a real person, but the others are just vendors for my stuff and now that they all carry the same inventory they're blurred even more.

For what it is worth, there are other female rippers you can meet in the game that just aren't "Vendors" as well as a former Trauma Team member that is a vendor in Dog town (med items not a ripper).

So, it's not like they're absent from the world, just not a 1-1 ratio, and they're not all vendors.

The reasoning is probably something benign, Vic is who he is obviously for story reasons, Nina is a celebrity cameo that got upgraded to a vendor. The others they likely just designed to fit the location you find them in the best they can, I doubt they really considered gender and just went for "Vibe" of the location. Maybe there is a lore or design reason, probably not, maybe no one at CDPR considered the gender thing, maybe they did and just didn't care :shrug:

Honestly it's not even something I really noticed until you pointed it out, other than Vic and Fingers who have implications on the story Most of the other Rippers might as well be generic no-name NPCs to me, The one guy with the scavs in his basement is memorable and Nina because she's a real person, but the others are just vendors for my stuff and now that they all carry the same inventory they're blurred even more.

Yeah... I wonder how gamers would have reacted to having such a vile person such as Fingers being female.

This is not to say that there shouldn't be more equal representation, I am just curious.

The "good" side of using male characters for the most vile roles (Woodman, Fingers, etc...) is that everybody has been overly used to male villainy to such an extent, because of the reasons we all know - which would make this topic political - that no one bats an eye.

Yeah... I wonder how gamers would have reacted to having such a vile person such as Fingers being female.

This is not to say that there shouldn't be more equal representation, I am just curious.

The "good" side of using male characters for the most vile roles (Woodman, Fingers, etc...) is that everybody has been overly used to male villainy to such an extent, because of the reasons we all know - which would make this topic political - that no one bats an eye.
Exactly this. We can point to anything in the game and say it's conspicuous. Why are most of the villains or creepy characters males? Why are most of the sex workers in the game women, why are there so few key role black characters...Dex and T-Bug were immediately killed off. Is that some agenda? There are countless factors that can contribute to any of these decisions and unless we have concrete evidence that CDPR had bad intentions then it's a bit pointless to speculate or try to create division with no basis to support it.

Exactly this. We can point to anything in the game and say it's conspicuous. Why are most of the villains or creepy characters males? Why are most of the sex workers in the game women, why are there so few key role black characters...Dex and T-Bug were immediately killed off. Is that some agenda? There are countless factors that can contribute to any of these decisions and unless we have concrete evidence that CDPR had bad intentions then it's a bit pointless to speculate or try to create division with no basis to support it.

Agreed.

Maybe it's a psychosocial feminist commentary on the nature of body modification and how the overwhelming majority of plastic surgeons in the modern world are male and yet the overwhelming majority of those who undergo plastic surgery are female?
I'd buy that if ripperdocs had a much stronger focus on cosmetic and "toy" (e.g. Mr. Stud) cyberware. But for obvious reasons, the docs that are of interest to V focus on more practical and less legal applications.
Probably because the vast majority of people working on the game are males and they didn't actively think about how many female ripperdocs are in the game.
This would only be plausible if the imbalance were a consistent pattern throughout the game, which is exactly why I pointed out that it is not.
Post automatically merged:

You are misinterpreting what I mean by "conspicuous". I'm am not assuming any ill intent - I'm saying it's conspicuous precisely because they did a better job elsewhere in the game.

Why are most of the villains or creepy characters males?
That's because guys simp over horrible women. Rachel is one of the more unpleasant women in the game, but most online discussions about her are dudes whining that she isn't romance option.

That's because guys simp over horrible women. Rachel is one of the more unpleasant women in the game, but most online discussions about her are dudes whining that she isn't romance option.
I don't think that's any different than women simping over "bad boys" who treat them terribly to be honest. Johnny treats women badly but he has a lot of female fans. Hell even Adam Smasher seems to have fans and the first few words we hear from the guy is "you look like a cut of f*** meat".

I didn't like Rachel but I think what a lot of people wanted was a female romance option that isn't so vanilla, for a lack of a better term. Even I noticed that they didn't include a corpo romance option for V. Most likely it would be someone a little unlikeable or hard to read, being from a different world than V. I can see an equally good storyline there that could rival the one with Panam/Judy but from a different perspective.

Panam and Judy were great but they were one step away from being a damsel in distress. Because of that I didn't particularly gravitate towards either of them. I prefer women who have their sh$t together and know what they want. For some people maybe that's Rachel, for me it would be someone like Mrs. Peralez or even Meredith if she had been fleshed out more.

Top Bottom